Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

kg703 wrote: »
    They only played two years ago? Normally EP doesnt have headliners back that quick?

Not headliners then but, for some incomprehensible reason, the warm-up act for the Prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

59,000....90,000... 400,000

Snowpatrol are still dross :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Not a reliable site as you're aware. I posted the efestivals link. Here's another:

https://www.festicket.com/festivals/isle-of-wight-festival/

I see now. Not related to EP but how tf do they get 90,000 people to take a boat to see that lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Not headliners then but, for some incomprehensible reason, the warm-up act for the Prodigy.

Lucky St V was there as the most wonderful distraction. To be fair, as amazing as she is, the crowd mostly went out for picture this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Lucky St V was there as the most wonderful distraction. To be fair, as amazing as she is, the crowd mostly went out for picture this :confused:

Death Grips were hoovering up the mental cases at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I see now. Not related to EP but how tf do they get 90,000 people to take a boat to see that lineup.

Ha ha. I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DDOK

Delighted to see Chemical Brothers & Bicep on the list. EP is always a great source of new acts for me so I’m looking forward to digging into the rest of the list.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

must sees:
    RATM
    Ian Brown
    Foals
    Chemical bros
    Just Mustard
    JVMCM

will catch:
    Saint sister (yum yum)
    Rick Astley (of course!)
    070shake (love her, gives me that lowfi buzz that jogi also does)
    Black Country, New Road (fills the prog hole, akin to RSAG, ivea feeling ill be catching them solo :D )
    Aoife Nessa Francis
    arlo parks
    100 gec (for the fun factor)

if no clashes:
    RTJ
    Declan MC Kenna
    The magic gang

if you like chewing the face off yourself there is LOADS this year

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

They only played two years ago? Normally EP doesnt have headliners back that quick?

What artist was it that said...you play EP twice, once on your way up, and once on the way down.
    Did Picture This beg?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭endainoz

Likely but I think it's lazy booking. Lewis and Picture This are both playing Malahide shows this summer.

It's down to personal preference and all that. Lack of female headliner is disappointing too.

They are but sur the kids like them I suppose. We got through Sam Smith, we'll get through this.

Agreed on the female headliner point, really suprised with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

whilst I get the kneejerk reaction might be to complain about the line up, but I reckon if the whole thing is cancelled people will be a lot more pi$$ed off..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not bad, a little weak overall though.

RATM
    Chems
    Bicep
    Foals
    Ian Brown
    RTJ
    Helena Hauff
    Jeff Mills
    I Hate Models
    Paula Temple
    Just Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭rubick

F**KING JEFF MILLS LADS I MISSED THAT*

* Name of my Sex Tape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Right, to work, trusted musos. Find me **** to listen to!

Declan McKenna was very decent in a catchy, poppy sort of way 3 years ago or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Rfrip

i need Ferris to come on and tell me everythings going to be ok

Ferris help a sister out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghum! Thank God! Leaving out the couple I know, I'm down to Ghum before finding a fecking guitar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Snow Patrol - bizarre front and center headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭rubick

Stillill you're coming on Late Club adventures with me.
    Where we're going we won't need guitars.

rubick wrote: »
    Stillill you're coming on Late Club adventures with me.
    Where we're going we won't need guitars.

Your seductive dance **** won't work on me, Rubick. I'll just keep whispering 'post-punk, post-punk, post-punk' until the throbbing and flashing stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Declan McKenna was very decent in a catchy, poppy sort of way 3 years ago or whatever.

Hanging on by your fingertips to hope there Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Between that line up and the lack of a body and soul area this year I think my EP days may officially be behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Finally out of meeting and time to assess. Reading posts from most recent back to announcement makes it an interesting read. Have given up hope of being overly excited by first announcement given last few years but enough on this to make me smile
    RATM
    ian brown
    Chemical Brothers (possible)
    Foals
    JVMCM
    Rick Astley
    Saint Sister
    Just Mustard
    And loads to check out.
    Lots more to come and if you are like me you will have lots of clashes come Sept so keep the faith.

Any recommendations for early listening for any not called out above.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Enough in that first announcement to keep me happy. Recent years have shown there are big names coming in the other announcements.

It'll still be great, it always is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Rick Astley being so prominent is bizarre.

Also, very strange to see no female act among the headliners, with Annie Mac and Mabel in the second tier - I wouldn't have thought Mabel would have that level of popularity yet? I'm very out of touch!!

Main thoughts:

- Rage and Run the Jewels are great bookings. If that hadn't been announced early, that would totally change the perception of the bill for plenty of people, I think.
    - The Chemical Brothers is fine. Good act, makes sense as a booking. Really shines the light on the Irish/UK festival scene to bump up some new dance acts because it's so repetitive, even if you're big into it all. I'm not sure who would be ready for the step up but I've seen some absolutely brilliant acts around the place the last few years and it'd just be a nice change to see some mid-tier fests (of which EP is not one...) chance Jon Hopkins, Kiasmos or Jamiexx, for example, as headline acts.
    - A few acts already playing earlier in the year, too. Ian Brown is doing, what, six Irish gigs this year before this? Chemical Brothrers in Cork, Lewis Capaldi in Cork and Dublin, Picture This in Dublin, Cork & Belfast... Festivals used have a bit more variety, right? I feel like with most of these acts (most! not all) that I'll get another 2 chances to see them before the end of 2021, if I didn't see them at EP.
    - It is very pop and rap heavy - of course it is! The festival has to shift 70,000 tickets a year now. They don't care if we grew up on Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem or whatever, they want to make sure people come back year after year and there's a lot more people buying tickets for the festival with Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Lewis Capaldi, Dermot Kennedy, etc than the one headlined by Roxy Music and Leftfield.

But there's some great stuff on there already, even if the headliners or some of the others aren't to people's tastes.

(from the bottom of the poster up...)

Just Mustard, Black Country New Road, Beabadoobee, Rejjie Snow, Little Simz, Denzel Curry, Run the Jewels and James Vincent McMorrow are all decent bookings and Rage, whether they are to my tastes or not, is a cracking top-line booking. They aren't playing that many gigs this year, so the fact that one is in Co Laois is pretty f*cking impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

my hope is that they have some big names that are held back till the next announcement in case they may not be able to travel come september

my hope is that they have some big names that are held back till the next announcement in case they may not be able to travel come september

Dont do it to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Rfrip wrote: »
    Dont do it to yourself

its my last EP for a while, I'm being optimistic that it'll come good, every other year has eventually in the end

its my last EP for a while, I'm being optimistic that it'll come good, every other year has eventually in the end

Aw it totally will and we will all be back here after it saying it was an amazing wkend etc
    Its just the line up always brings the moral down for some of us i think doesnt it

we will rebuild:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Picture this are a headliner?. Jaysus!.

Always thought they were utter pants.

That Winona Ryder song I thought was a parody like Weird Al Yankovic its so terrible and cheesy.

Run the Jewels/Foals decent additions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement