Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales v Ireland 31/8/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

When is the squad announced? Tomorrow or after last warm up game?

Decision is in next day or two but announcement not till after next week's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Wegians89

When is the squad announced? Tomorrow or after last warm up game?

Has to be submitted to World rugby tomorrow but not being public announced till after next weeks mafch I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Worth mentioning too that that was Joe's first victory with Ireland in Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Carty had a very good first half, one missed conversion aside. Few errors in the second half but a good display overall, Williams acknowledged it what’s first fifty minutes that got him it.

Can’t really give it to Kilcoyne, Stockdale etc who played forty minutes. Thought Aki would get it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here.

Apparently Best made 12 tackles while he was on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would imagine that performance cemented his place on the plane. With Porter clearly providing cover, McGrath’s chances are done.

We'll have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Farrell and Beirne in big trouble

Goosed after today I reckon. Both anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Front row I thought was a positive for the most part

James Ryan should be the next captain.

We can't seem to get an effective backrow on the pitch at the moment. It doesnt help that the likes of Ruddock havent been given a chance.

Half back was mixed bag but more positive then negative IMO.

Centres were mostly good, especially defensively

Conway and to lesser extent Addison were good.

Best had a good performance off the bench
    Kilcoyne our most effective carrier. Backrow simply didn't carry at all. Making a load of tackles just isn't enough at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

good man jack. face on taffy kid lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Well, that was the last chance to get on the plane. The squad has to be finalised on Monday and it'll be announced after the home game. We'll get the leak before then.

Here's my 31:

Props: Healy, Kilcoyne, Porter, Furlong and Ryan.

Hookers: Best, Scannell and Cronin.

Locks: Henderson, Ryan, Toner and Beirne.

Back row: VdF, POM, Stander, Nordi, Conan.

Halfback: Sexton, Murray, Marmion, Carbery, Carty.

Centres: Addison, Ringrose, Aki, Henshaw.

Back five: Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Conway and Larmour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    McGrath's tackle on the line saved an embarrassing defeat.

The fact it was better than last week doesn't detract from how concerning it was tbh

Please explain how an away defeat in wales by potentially a few points in a warm up match would be embarrassing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ireland win against Wales at home. Both second string sides. Ireland owned the first half, Wales the second. Be loads of people reacting to that game like it is a loss but there was positives there.
    They way I would look at it is the negatives in teams second half performance would glaringly outweigh the few positive individual performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A win away to the #1 ranked team in the world. We'll take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Aki and Kilcoyne on the plane. You'd never have McGrath before Kilcoyne now. Astonishing that Killer has leap frogged McGrath.

So who gets in now beirne or Kleyn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,980 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Toner always looks like that

Toner is the opposite to an impact player. Solid, hard working, gets through a lot of work. He’s important in a team. But he’s not a peaky impact man.him coming on off the bench is more about getting him game time than winning the game through an impact sub. Unfortunately for Henderson, he’s about as impactful as a second row sub can be. I’d say that will be his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wegians89 wrote: »

Dillane, if there was any justice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'd be considering Ruddock instead of Conan to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

bilston wrote: »
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here.

Apparently Best made 12 tackles while he was on.

Probably made nearly half of them when defending on the line.
    I’m spitting he didn’t get a lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dave Kearney will be sickened. An entire half to try and prove something and he didn't get a single touch on the ball.

Our attack was dreadful tbh. That Wales defense was shocking at times and we scored one try on attack from play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They way I would look at it is the negatives in teams second half performance would glaringly outweigh the few positive individual performances.

Wales were always going to improve in that last half hour at home. It would be unrealistic to expect us to run out 15-20 point winners in Cardiff.....the Welsh improved a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

The negativity is gas. Huge improvement from last week, one more game next week for a team closer to first choice. Still far from ideal but certainly not "deplorable " or embarrassing.

Jack lucky enough to get man of the match but as William's said noone really put in a top quality 80 and Jack did enough in the his better spells to put Ireland in a winning position

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yes Dillane would me my choice of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Can we not just get Fardy to shave and wear a blue scrum cap

troyzer wrote: »
    Well, that was the last chance to get on the plane. The squad has to be finalised on Monday and it'll be announced after the home game. We'll get the leak before then.

Here's my 31:

Props: Healy, Kilcoyne, Porter, Furlong and Ryan.

Hookers: Best, Scannell and Cronin.

Locks: Henderson, Ryan, Toner and Beirne.

Back row: VdF, POM, Stander, Nordi, Conan.

Halfback: Sexton, Murray, Marmion, Carbery, Carty.

Centres: Addison, Ringrose, Aki, Henshaw.

Back five: Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Conway and Larmour.

At this point I'd look at bringing an extra backrow and forget about both of Beirne and Kleyn. Can call up Dillane if need be.

Mustn’t have been doing it for joe in training. Case of brining ruddock instead of the Munster two?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

As your entitled to do. And others will too I'm sure.

I was frustrated with the last 30 minutes, but was reasonably happy before that. So that means I'm 62.5% pleased and 37.5% displeased.

And means I'm 1,250% more pleased than I was with last week's performance.

Yes Dillane would me my choice of the three.

Really can't understand how he didn't even get a chance, given how poor the other two have gone. He was in good form this season too. Real head scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

I’d say Dillane can count himself unlucky to get cut but things must not have been going well in training/camp for him.

Thought Carty was alright, can’t say he was motm though but it could have been so different if he started last week.

Kilcoyne looked good today while James Ryan is consistently good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a fan of Kleyn at all but that was a big chance for Beirne and he was MIA.

Advertisement