Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK imports POST Brexit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

UK not in EU anymore
    Just like a for instance US Import
    21%vat on ALL money spent
    10% cousins duty
    And then the VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The higher rate of VAT is 23%, it's not 2011 any more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Morning lads.

Let's cut to the chase....

WTF is gonna happen now??

Every chance Brexit will be implemented (if that's the correct word) before the end of the year.
    Will there be 1/2/3 years of a window re. taxation before it fully hits car imports?

Or will some clever people set up a huge car showroom up the North, bring cars over there, and then sell to us (think that's how the no-backstop works!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning lads.

Let's cut to the chase....

WTF is gonna happen now??

Every chance Brexit will be implemented (if that's the correct word) before the end of the year.
    Will there be 1/2/3 years of a window re. taxation before it fully hits car imports?

Or will some clever people set up a huge car showroom up the North, bring cars over there, and then sell to us (think that's how the no-backstop works!)?

no deal brexit means 100% wto rules route, which is the full whck of vrt vat ect.
    there wont be any windows, itll just be , boom, full rate of wto rules.

as far as the no backstop, i dont think anyone really knows,and i hanve looks into it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Soarer wrote: »

No chance Brexit will be "done" by the end of the year, they'll need all the sitting days (and maybe more) until the end of Jan when the extension runs out.

Then there's a transition period of at least 21 months, which may be extended for one or two years, or presumably however long it takes to agree a deal.

There's no chance of a no-deal Brexit at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

The general comment is that 31.12.2020 is unreaistic. BUT, if Boris gets bolshie he may cut loose and then we are in to WTO.

His 'suggestion' of a [complete] tax free liaison with the EU is also unlikely, the EU policy is that any deal has to fit in with the customs free zone and all other arrangements already in place. Outsiders are not allowed to upset the existing arrangements.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought no deal was off the table regardless of the election. Sure didn't they already vote on a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought no deal was off the table regardless of the election. Sure didn't they already vote on a deal?

To be precise - Boris will get the deal already on the table through before the holliers in the commons. Then they will sign off on Article 50 before 31.1.2020 (with a great fanfare....) - all over bar the shouting..... on 1.2.2020 that will commence, with the idea of finishing on 31.12.2020.

At any time during the period of the discussion Boris may get pissed off.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whole thing is hard to understand, the week before 31st October the Irish government were running ads on the radio telling UK driving licence holders their licence would be no longer valid from the 31st October, other opinions suggest it will run on for years before any impact on trade occurs. Our government will be bound by whatever deal the EU do, they won't be able to just decide to change import tariffs from the UK when they feel like it.

In the event of no deal anything can happen I suppose but they do have a deal from EU which they signed up to and now have the mandate to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Irish main dealers must be delighted. Overnight, on 1 Feb 2020, it won’t be worth going to the UK anymore as the extra Vat and duty will make it uneconomic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

So if i had planned on buying a car from the uk in the new year, do it asap?doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Weren't half of all car sales imported from the UK last year?

Where will all the cars come from now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Casati

BigAl81 wrote: »

Japan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Still will be the UK, as the car is being exported, you should be able to claim the UK vat back (like you can if your taking stuff back to the US) but you'll have to pay the Irish VAT instead.

graememk wrote: »
    Still will be the UK, as the car is being exported, you should be able to claim the UK vat back (like you can if your taking stuff back to the US) but you'll have to pay the Irish VAT instead.

That would be limited to VAT qualifying cars though, which is a much much smaller pool of cars to choose from.

And the extra hassle, paperwork and the reality that you will have to have the inc vat amount in cash (both UK and Irish VAT) and then claim the UK VAT back means alot of people would have cashflow issues and would just decide it's not worth it.

Im sure plenty will do it, but the numbers are going to tumble I'd say.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

KCross wrote: »
    That would be limited to VAT qualifying cars though, which is a much much smaller pool of cars to choose from.

Oh yeah, can only be bought from VAT registered customers the whole way though from new. We got caught with that buying something and we had to walk away because we couldn't claim the VAT back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

charlieIRL wrote: »
    AFAIK, approximately 70,000 imports come into Ireland every year
    But every car sold here is an import as non are manufactured here :D
    Well second hand UK imports get hit with VRT that second hand domestic sales wouldn't.
    They are it's just that used Irish cars already payed it when new so it's included in the used price.

Another thought also would the price of new cars in the UK go up via export/import rates if the car is manufactured outside the UK ?
    Will new leaf price go up here as it will be imported from Sunderland where it's manufactured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Casati wrote: »
    Japan

Insurance broker: "and is the vehicle a Japanese import"

Joe Soap: ":D It is, just off the boat this mornin"

Insurance Broker: "ok, just adding two more zeros to the quote sir"

Joe Soap: ":confused:Whah?

Insurance broker "oh, and we don't include vaseline for our Jap imports quotes"

Joe Soap: ":eek:"

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Insurance broker: "and is the vehicle a Japanese import"

Joe Soap: ":D It is, just off the boat this mornin"

Insurance Broker: "ok, just adding two more zeros to the quote sir"

Joe Soap: ":confused:Whah?

Insurance broker "oh, and we don't include vaseline for our Jap imports quotes"

Joe Soap: ":eek:"

Cars for cheese deal between the EU and japan might see an increase in vaseline imports also, which begs the question where does our vaseline come from? and if it comes from the UK whats the duty on it? and whats it like without any lubricant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

"If the UK approves the Withdrawal Agreement there will be no change to the registration process during the transitionary period. The information outlined here relates to procedures which may be in place in the event of a no-deal Brexit."

Taken from an overview of the revenue implications on vrt at https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses/vrt-implications-of-trade-with-the-uk/index.aspx

If the WA is ratified by UK, no change in the short term to VRT rates. If it is not ratified by 31st January then the uk effectively leaves without a deal, and becomes a 3rd country, resulting in customs/duty etc.

It's probably going to be ratified given the majority, and by all reports, it will be voted on this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

From January 1st you need to provide the NOx and CO2 figures to Revenue so that VRT can be calculated. Only accepted proof is an EU Certificate of Conformity. All cars since Sept 2016 have them. Afaik the CoC is specific to each individual car and has the car's VIN on it.

In the event you can't produce a CoC for your import you get slapped with the default NOx fee, which is €600 for petrol and €4850 for diesels.

Obviously EVs are 0 emissions, but I'm presuming Revenue will still want to see it's CoC, even though their website says they're exempt. What if you can't produce it?

PHEV presumably will incur the default €600.

Getting my info from here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/calculating-the-nox-charge.aspx
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/vehicle-services/electronic-certificate-of-conformity-for-vrt.aspx

I think I understand it, but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

n97 mini wrote: »
    From January 1st you need to provide the NOx and CO2 figures to Revenue so that VRT can be calculated. Only accepted proof is an EU Certificate of Conformity. All cars since Sept 2016 have them. Afaik the CoC is specific to each individual car and has the car's VIN on it.

In the event you can't produce a CoC for your import you get slapped with the default NOx fee, which is €600 for petrol and €4850 for diesels.

Obviously EVs are 0 emissions, but I'm presuming Revenue will still want to see it's CoC, even though their website says they're exempt. What if you can't produce it?

PHEV presumably will incur the default €600.

Getting my info from here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/calculating-the-nox-charge.aspx
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/vehicle-services/electronic-certificate-of-conformity-for-vrt.aspx

I think I understand it, but open to correction.
    So in effect they are trying to restrict older, dirtier cars coming in?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

So in effect they are trying to restrict older, dirtier cars coming in?

Would appear to be targeting older cars (no CoC) and diesel (NOx), but that's not really my question. It's more to do with the CoC... will older EVs require a CoC even though they don't emit anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

So what are we thinking?

Need to get purchasing before the end of January?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi all,

Planning to go and get an Outlander PHEV in the UK soon but just trying to verify that I'm not under pressure to get it done by the end of the month. With the UK parliament having passed the withdrawal agreement bill, that means they'll go into a transition period on February 1st so all rules regarding UK imports will stand until the end of the year, correct?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Planning to go and get an Outlander PHEV in the UK soon but just trying to verify that I'm not under pressure to get it done by the end of the month. With the UK parliament having passed the withdrawal agreement bill, that means they'll go into a transition period on February 1st so all rules regarding UK imports will stand until the end of the year, correct?

Correct, once withdrawal agreement is in law everything stays the same until 31 Dec.

Advertisement