Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK imports POST Brexit

Options
  • 31-08-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Seems to me it's gonna be the same as a US import,
    Vat @21% on the whole cost car transport shipping ie everything spent outside the country,and then Customs duty @10% on top of that.
    At least those were the figures last time I looked

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ouch. 31% is a lot to add on.

AFAIK, approximately 70,000 imports come into Ireland every year so its going to have an impact in both the UK and here. Will UK car sales stall? Drop even more?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No-one knows

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭ted1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Ouch. 31% is a lot to add on.

AFAIK, approximately 70,000 imports come into Ireland every year so its going to have an impact in both the UK and here. Will UK car sales stall? Drop even more?

It’s duty on VAT so 33%.

Not only that but revenue will base it on the cost to buy in Ireland then add their taxes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Customs duty is being paid on all cars imported into the E.U, who gets this money? The E.U. ? Or the Country that collects it ?

If its the E.U. would that not be a double tax on a car that registered before Brexit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I believe half of all cars last year were imported, something like 100,000 cars!!

That's a lot of lost VRT and a lot of sales that would presumably now have to happen within Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Expensive cars is going to be the least of our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭sk8board

You might make back a little of the gap from those fixed tax & tariff costs, with sterling depreciation against the euro, and a general recession in the UK dropping car values on the forecourts - both very speculative though

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I believe half of all cars last year were imported, something like 100,000 cars!!

That's a lot of lost VRT and a lot of sales that would presumably now have to happen within Ireland?

they don't lose the VRT because people will buy them here (incl VRT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

drumm23 wrote:
    they don't lose the VRT because people will buy them here (incl VRT)

Well second hand UK imports get hit with VRT that second hand domestic sales wouldn't.

Would we even have enough to sell here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Well second hand UK imports get hit with VRT that second hand domestic sales wouldn't.

well, sort of, it's a bit zero sum
    might drop off somewhat though because I'm sure the dealers here will lift prices and maybe reduce demand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

We simply will buy more paddy spec new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Technique

So is the 33% VAT on the VRT or on the value of the car? I'm guessing the latter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Technique wrote: »
    So is the 33% VAT on the VRT or on the value of the car? I'm guessing the latter?

You pay 21% VAT on the cost of the car to get it to Ireland, ie. Purchase price + shipping.
    You then add the VAT to the total, then pay 10% Import Duty on that.
    Then you go pay your VRT.

Great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Soarer wrote: »
    You pay 21% VAT on the cost of the car to get it to Ireland, ie. Purchase price + shipping.

Great little country.

I'm pretty sure customs and VAT rules are stipulated by EU, so I would not blame Ireland for anything but VRT - which is only part not changing. :-)

However if UK would be doing hard Brexit then there would be one more significant issue with bringing cars, this 23% VAT + 10% customs duty will be paid on value of import, which might be different than purchase price + shipping. I'm pretty sure that after short wave of lower invoices from UK dealers who accept cash payments under table, Revenue would start contesting those and instead of using invoice value use their own valuations. This could impact even honest importers who simply scored a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Soarer wrote: »

Great little country.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

Imports are only interesting, really, because the £/€ rate is favourable. Post a crash-out brexit that will probably get 'better' for us.

Spec difference buying is a personal decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BarryM wrote: »
    Spec difference buying is a personal decision.
    But there a fair few ICE cars that just aren't sold in Ireland in any spec.

Now in fairness this is mostly due to their undesirable motor tax rates (the Suzuki Jimny being the most recent example I was looking at), which won't apply to EVs, but I'm not sure it's as simple as satnav and upholstery options.

I just can't see any upside of losing such a major RHD market in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

picking her 2017 civic up in wales tomorrow, then heading back hopefully the week after to pick up my tesla model s.

nows the time to buy if you have the dollar...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

Not only that but revenue will base it on the cost to buy in Ireland then add their taxes !

No - they cant do that without just cause as to why the Transaction Value method (invoice) or other means was not used to calculate the Customs and VAT elements, see below.
    September1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure customs and VAT rules are stipulated by EU, so I would not blame Ireland for anything but VRT - which is only part not changing. :-)

However if UK would be doing hard Brexit then there would be one more significant issue with bringing cars, this 23% VAT + 10% customs duty will be paid on value of import, which might be different than purchase price + shipping. I'm pretty sure that after short wave of lower invoices from UK dealers who accept cash payments under table, Revenue would start contesting those and instead of using invoice value use their own valuations. This could impact even honest importers who simply scored a bargain.

Yes Customs Valuation procedures and VAT rules are laid down in EU law and apply across all EU States

See attached pdf link for how Customs value goods for import into EU. Heavy reading but here you are.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/valuation/valuation.pdf

In summary there are six methods of valuation which are generally applied in sequence from 1 to 6 namely

1. The transaction value method;
    2. The transaction value of identical goods;
    3. The transaction value of similar goods;
    4. The deductive method;
    5. The computed method; and
    6. The residual valuation provision.

You only proceed to method 2 where method 1 is not a runner and so on. So usually the transaction value method is used (the invoice price) when available. It generally will only be overlooked by Customs when they have a reasonable doubt as to the bona fides of that invoice for whatever reason.

However even if Customs query that invoice price they have to notify the importer of such and explain the basis for that doubt and give the importer the opportunity to respond to the query with a "Right to be Heard". Even after that the importer has the right to appeal the decision if still not satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Customs duty is being paid on all cars imported into the E.U, who gets this money? The E.U. ? Or the Country that collects it ?

If its the E.U. would that not be a double tax on a car that registered before Brexit?

AFAIK Most of the Customs duty collected is returned to a central fund in Europe and a small element is retained by the Country that collects it. I believe all the VAT stays with the collection country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There's always Japan - we have been importing used cars from there for at least 35 years, if not more. And we already pay all the tax on cars from there, but depreciation and exchange rates still make it viable. The 10% tariff on cars from Japan is being phased out too.

I reckon UK garages are panicking a small bit. I enquired about a few cars in UK Garages over the last few weeks and every one of them contacted me again in the last few days to see have I got my car yet.

I got offered a 3 month old e-golf which has less than 1k miles for £25k sterling today. Damm VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

People seem to be missing the point here
    Unless stg absolutely tanks,the UK imports are history when the UK is no longer in the EU
    Remember 33% on top of the current cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,082 ✭✭✭✭unkel

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I got offered a 3 month old e-golf which has less than 1k miles for £25k sterling today. Damm VAT

Try get a March one. As long as it has 6k km on it then by the time you present for VRT, it will not attract any VAT or VRT.

Bargains out there. Mike posted up a sub £23k 2019 eGolf this week. You'd land that for €25.5-€26k

unkel wrote: »
    Try get a March one. As long as it has 6k km on it then by the time you present for VRT, it will not attract any VAT or VRT.

Bargains out there. Mike posted up a sub £23k 2019 eGolf this week. You'd land that for €25.5-€26k

Am staying local for my one!!

Bring a 191 in for €25.5k. Buy the same car here for €35.5k

Your choice ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Bring a 191 in for €25.5k. Buy the same car here for €35.5k

Your choice ;)

I didn’t say I was paying 35.5k!!

Now you have me interested. You can get a 191 eGolf (presumably from a main VW dealer like the car in my example) for a lot less than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

adunis wrote: »
    People seem to be missing the point here
    Unless stg absolutely tanks,the UK imports are history when the UK is no longer in the EU
    Remember 33% on top of the current cost.

Where are you getting the 33% from ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I'm not tax expert, but considering that some cars are manufactured in EU, would duty not apply based on country of origin? Hence some UK imports attracting only VAT and VRT.

Advertisement