Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Myself and another lad are doing the macra safe driving tractor test today at the ploughing today.
    From what I gather it involves loading and unloading wrapped bales onto a flat trailer and reversing/driving that trailer around a course.

I did it myself 2 years ago in tullamore but they never gave any feed back at the end as to what things I did/didnt do or mistakes I made which is a bit silly I thought.

Any way, anyone any tips for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think I've mentioned this before but what are lad's opinions on double verses tri axle in a 12" foot cattle trailer?. I was pricing trailers today at the ploughing and they (sales reps) all seemed against going for the tri axle despite the fact that some of them manufacturer and sell tri axle 12" trailers. In my mind it would be a steadier trailer but perhaps it's over kill, I've always wanted to buy a 12" Porter trailer but the supposed waiting list is putting me off, I'm not in a huge panic but would prefer to get it bought and be using it at the same time. A 12" Nugent with a tank and chequer plate mudguards caught my eye, the option of finance is another bonus tbh. My current trailer is doing the job the finest atm but I'm leaning towards buying new.

I've used a Tri axle 12ft albeit with the under slung wheels and it was a night mare.
    The underslung wheels make it very unstable and prone to wobbles. I see you are going for it side wheels which are vastly better in terms of stability and road manners.
    Another issue with the Tri axle was when loaded it had a tendancy to push on straight when turning into a corner.

You certainly would not need Tri axle on 12ft if opting for the large wheels imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Anyone on here have a Lynch bale trailer ? I was looking at them at the plougand I liked their design.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Anyone on here have a Lynch bale trailer ? I was looking at them at the plougand I liked their design.

There's a guy in tipp/kilkenny area on twitter (i think hes here too)bought a new lynch bale trailer last year. He seems very happy with it.

2 contractors in my locality have them too, look well, good design and haven't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbour here is converting artic trailers.....supposed to be good value, might be worth looking at, He's selling a lot of them.

https://www.donedeal.ie/silagetrailers-for-sale/28ft-bale-trailer/22866032

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

Neighbours here has a Lynch cattle trailer. Sussed out all the makes and decided that Lynch's was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Myself and another lad are doing the macra safe driving tractor test today at the ploughing today.
    From what I gather it involves loading and unloading wrapped bales onto a flat trailer and reversing/driving that trailer around a course.

I did it myself 2 years ago in tullamore but they never gave any feed back at the end as to what things I did/didnt do or mistakes I made which is a bit silly I thought.

Any way, anyone any tips for me?

I was doing it today too. Bit late now but safety trumps speed every time in those competitions.

There's a guy in tipp/kilkenny area on twitter (i think hes here too)bought a new lynch bale trailer last year. He seems very happy with it.

2 contractors in my locality have them too, look well, good design and haven't had any problems.

Spent a day working with one. A well built machine. If anything too well made as it’s fairly heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

If do go down that road get one you can run a cattle box on for versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I was doing it today too. Bit late now but safety trumps speed every time in those competitions.

Did it after, speed was one thing. Did it in 4.30 best team did it in 3.30.
    Vexed though, the guy from frs said I never looked over my shoulders and I never seen the 2 lads walking behind me. Complete bull, looked behind my shoulders before I reversed back every time.
    The 2 lads were directly behind the tractor at different stages and he said I never saw them, I was looking directly at them and never moved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/on-site-pics-machinery-hauled-parked-and-ready-for-ploughing-2019/#lg=1&slide=49

Out of curiosity, if anyone is going to the ploughing and come across the mini zero grazer shown above, I'd appreciate if you could get a ballpark price on it?

I have a neighbour looking for something like that for a while.
    Jaysus I have enough machinery:D

A lad I know cuts a bit with a drum mower and collects the grass with a loader into a trailer into a few animals.
    hopeso wrote: »
    And he'll probably continue to do so, when he gets the price of that yoke..... :eek::D
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Machinery is gone to be a mad price

I hope ye are sitting down!!!
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/mini-grazer-grabs-attention-at-ploughing-494859

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbour here is converting artic trailers.....supposed to be good value, might be worth looking at, He's selling a lot of them.

https://www.donedeal.ie/silagetrailers-for-sale/28ft-bale-trailer/22866032

Are they plated? For the road regulations I mean.

I wouldn't know, they're selling anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They are RSA compliant alright just not finished too well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If do go down that road get one you can run a cattle box on for versatility.

I am very interested in your comment Is it possible to cover for both, bales and cattle in the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I am very interested in your comment Is it possible to cover for both, bales and cattle in the one

Most bale trailers around here these days are on those 425mm?? wide mini super single type tyre so are 3-4ft high max so can go with 3 high big hestons happily. Can get a pair of aluminium ramps that will hold 8ton each for moving telehandlers/smaller equipment about. Demount cattle/sheep (Fold up sides like on a ifor for 2 decks) float for hauling stock about. Pic of one we'd borrowed from our straw guy, one of the ramps off the end sh!ts and giggles.
    Stewarts for example- https://www.stewart-trailers.co.uk/products/livestock-floats

There was a fine trailer at the ploughing last year lift off cattle body and hydraulic ramps at the back for machinery,,,,,,,,, something like €26000 + vat
    Can't just find it now, but here's an example
    https://herbstmachinery.com/product/livestock-trailer/

Did it after, speed was one thing. Did it in 4.30 best team did it in 3.30.
    Vexed though, the guy from frs said I never looked over my shoulders and I never seen the 2 lads walking behind me. Complete bull, looked behind my shoulders before I reversed back every time.
    The 2 lads were directly behind the tractor at different stages and he said I never saw them, I was looking directly at them and never moved!

I take it you were on the loader so.

We’re you looking as you moved rather than looking then moving. I know I was guilty of that a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cute geoge wrote: »

Jaysus!:eek:

The mower, loader and trailer looks very economical now.

• Advertisement

Thanks Waffletraktor and Wrangler for replies. Definitely worth knowing about and investigating further.. Got this link for a start.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/novel-3-in-1-trailer-launched-at-the-ploughing/

Thanks Waffletraktor and Wrangler for replies. Definitely worth knowing about and investigating further.. Got this link for a start.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/novel-3-in-1-trailer-launched-at-the-ploughing/

Think that trailer is a fair cost

I didn’t know such thing was available. Couldn’t justify spending that amount, but think it is a well thought out design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Did anyone notice the new offset topper from Major at the ploughing? It folds up like a mounted mower... Something new that I wasn’t expecting to see...

Price is on the article, 23000+ vat.
    Having a bale trailer cluttering up the yard for a few runs in the year is messy, dual purpose is a good idea
    I've seen guys in england with old lorry bodies on lowloaders and an irish guy in france that had a cattle body on his lowloader that could be lifted off with a teleporter.
    Loads of options but might be too messy for you............or me ;)

wrangler wrote: »
    Price is on the article, 23000+ vat.
    Having a bale trailer cluttering up the yard for a few runs in the year is messy, dual purpose is a good idea
    I've seen guys in england with old lorry bodies on lowloaders and an irish guy in france that had a cattle body on his lowloader that could be lifted off with a teleporter.
    Loads of options but might be too messy for you............or me ;)

Not to easy to get the cattle body on and not many lads have teleporters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The slurrykat bale trailer with hydraulic sides is 20k + vat

Reggie, Are you referring to the A&W trailer in particular here, or to other makes.

What I liked about the A&W trailer, from reading the article was :
    "According to A&W Engineering, the unit can be attached and removed with “ease”. When not in use, the livestock body sits on special legs. To mount the unit, the low-loader can simply be reversed in underneath – and then secured using the twist locks.

To remove the unit, the legs must first be re-attached. The bed of the trailer can then drop – to create 150mm of clearance (enabling the trailer to be driven away)".

Lads do it on lorries all the time even without a loader, I was in the west of Ireland last weeek and saw a couple of bodies up on ''stilts'' The guy in france seemed to like making things, his low loader was capable of carrying three tractors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The slurrykat bale trailer with hydraulic sides is 20k + vat

For what length?

Advertisement