Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

trashcan wrote: »
    There is a woman in work who has the Liam Gallagher disease of ending every sentence with "do you know what I mean ? "

If you read a story in the paper about someone being strangled to death by a co-worker, that'll probably be me . How I haven't snapped yet is beyond me.

I know what you mean. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Canon fodder. Fodder on its own too. ****ing goes through my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Was out earlier tonight an got chatting to someone who kept referring to Dublin as Dublint!?! :Confused: they weren't trying to be smart or say dubland or anything like that but were definitely calling Dublin, Dublint...was wrecking my head alll ****ing night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Canon fodder. Fodder on its own too. ****ing goes through my head

Hate their printers..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

trashcan wrote: »
    There is a woman in work who has the Liam Gallagher disease of ending every sentence with "do you know what I mean ? "

If you read a story in the paper about someone being strangled to death by a co-worker, that'll probably be me . How I haven't snapped yet is beyond me.

I worked with a girl who always finished with " do you know what I mean "
    Eventually over time it got shortened so every sentence ended with something that sounded like " Jameen " :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

did i mention 32 bits/ 64 bits rather than 32/64 bit in windows or pc terms

---

And people who say the name end of each sentence. "I did pat. I went to the bank pat and i asked for the manager pat and i told him i am not happy pat and he said you can close your account pat"
    ---

And also so i did/so he did. "i went to the disco with my friend so i did and he asked a girl to dance so he did, and she danced with him all night so she did"

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

More of a word than an expression but I hate the word prep. It will always be prepare to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"a bite to eat"

A persons use of it is instant verification that they are an absolute bell end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

valoren wrote: »
    "a bite to eat"

A persons use of it is instant verification that they are an absolute bell end.
    agree what a moronic expression

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I hate when Irish people say “cheerio”.

• Advertisement

You're your fathers son.

Yes who the hell else's would I have been????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye....
    FFS do you answer the phone with hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, hello....

To me it comes across as being so rude and dismissive almost as if saying - I'm finished with you now go away and don't be bothering me.

On a similar note when ppl end the call with a dismissive “go on”

As if you are a peasant and the king or queen is finished stooping themselves to even address you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"bucket list". Ticking off stuff off some imaginary list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I hate when Irish people say “cheerio”.

Out of curiosity, what would you rather they said? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

'Who have I got here?'
    Especially when a younger person says it.

To thine own self be true

"tight knit close community" beloved of our media to describe any village/town/area anywhere in Ireland

Any form of pathological office jargon:
    • Blue sky thinking
    • Think outside the box
    • Let's touch base
    • Close of play
    • Going forward
    • No brainer
    • Action that
    • Drill down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Blue sky thinking
    • Think outside the box
    • Let's touch base
    • Close of play
    • Going forward
    • No brainer
    • Action that
    • Drill down

Or even worse - "End of Play" or even worse again - "EOP".

Also meeting terms - Town hall, brown bag and my personal favourite: "a fireside".

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Blue sky thinking
    • Think outside the box
    • Let's touch base
    • Close of play
    • Going forward
    • No brainer
    • Action that
    • Drill down

In a previous office I worked in, when asked to do something I'd be asked to action it. Nigel, will you action that please. Drove me mad! Just ask me to do it normally please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Get go" beloved of Newstalk presenters and other meeja trendies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

In a previous office I worked in, when asked to do something I'd be asked to action it. Nigel, will you action that please. Drove me mad! Just ask me to do it normally please.

Well, just so long as it didn't interfere with you 'romping with your school chums in the fens and spinneys' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Cash money. Cash is money so there is no need to say "cash money".

Speak truth to power.

I wish there was enough power in the world to quell this particular truth.

Well, just so long as it didn't interfere with you 'romping with your school chums in the fens and spinneys' ;)

Oh, it did :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

In relation to.

This is the swiss army knife of conjunctions for politicians.

It's bad but it's no "in terms of". Used obsessively by politicians, sports players, media personalities and w*nker colleagues the country over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

"Believe you me."

It's so naff and twee and in no way conveys the intimidation the speaker intends.

It always reminds me of getting threatened by a farmer: "Believe you me girlie, I'll have you hopping all the way back to Spiddall for your supper."

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bsloepro

“It is what it is” - has that ever meant anything else apart from it is a piece of 5hit

“I’ll let ya go” or “we had to let him go” - like they’re doing you a favor - get off the 4ucking phone or you’re sacked to get straight to the point

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Excessively wordy legal terms that find their way into other forums, especially business or media, when a shorter and simpler option exists.
    On foot of (because)
    in respect of (concerning)
    In the event that (if)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Liam28 wrote: »
    Excessively wordy legal terms that find their way into other forums, especially business or media, when a shorter and simpler option exists.
    On foot of (because)
    in respect of (concerning)
    In the event that (if)

"Going forward" was a stock middle level management Celtic Tiger phrase. Don't hear it a whole lot now thankfully.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    "Going forward" was a stock middle level management Celtic Tiger phrase. Don't hear it a whole lot now thankfully.
    And hopefully it shall remain so going forward

Advertisement