Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"End of play" instead of "close of business".

Or even worse, "EOP".

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A lot of words used in Buzzfeed articles like slaying or clapping back. Drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Arghus wrote: »
    I've developed a hatred for the phrase "quid pro quo" which has seemingly become ubiquitous since the Trump Ukraine story blew up and now it's being dropped into conversations all over the place.

It always reminds me of Silence of The Lambs: 'Quid pro quo, Clarice'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My bad

What does it even mean

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What does that even mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

"Cheap as chips" - hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"ride me sideways" there that's another wan of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

"ride me sideways" there that's another wan of them

Watch to the end :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTnacYvvg4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

You're bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Tongan Haka!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

'and then some' what retarded came up with that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The Nal wrote: »
    "End of play" instead of "close of business".

Yet, "close of play" is a perfectly serviceable expression. (agree that "end of play" is just a bastardisation of it really, and is abominable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

One corporate phrase I hate is “thought leader”. You can be certain that the people who use that phrase to describe themselves havent had an original thought in their cretinous lives, never mind leading other people’s ideas.

A friend of mine who is pretty high in a multinational (but one of the good uns) either will throw the CVs of self described “thought leaders” in the bin or ask them in an interview what “thoughts” they have actually come up with, normally to stunned silence. One guy just left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

One corporate phrase I hate is “thought leader”. Sure fire certainty that people who use that phrase to describe themselves havent had an original thought in their cretinous lives, never mind leading other people’s ideas.

A friend of mine who is pretty high in a multinational (but one of the good uns) either will throw the CVs of self described “thought leaders” in the bin or ask them in an interview what “thoughts” they have actually come up with, normally to stunned silence. One guy just left.

Thought leaders can’t remember what thoughts they came up with, self serving spokesmen do, thought leaders are too busy thinking of their next thought. While one of the good ones and his mate talk about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

“As you do”

Seems to have died off thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The misuse of the word "bespoke"
    Unless its tailored to my exact individual specifications - its not bespoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Most are tolerable as long as not continuously repeated by the same person, but anyway;

People saying "cheap at half the price" yes, when you half something it's generally a good bit cheaper.

Correct form "cheap at twice the price" being so low even doubling it doesn't make it expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Isn't it well for ya, or, isn't it well for some. Hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

EL_Loco wrote: »
    Most are tolerable as long as not continuously repeated by the same person, but anyway;

People saying "cheap at half the price" yes, when you half something it's generally a good bit cheaper.

Correct form "cheap at twice the price" being so low even doubling it doesn't make it expensive.

Yeh, but the original is a joke. It’s saying the item is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pikey

Block Chain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Reading in the paper today how a utility company messed up some customers. When the journalist approached the company they said they were "reaching out" to the affected customers. FFS. Absolute bullsh!t speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Unpack.

"let's unpack the pseudointellectual statement I've just come out with"

Bags are unpacked. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

There is a woman in work who has the Liam Gallagher disease of ending every sentence with "do you know what I mean ? "

If you read a story in the paper about someone being strangled to death by a co-worker, that'll probably be me . How I haven't snapped yet is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye....
    FFS do you answer the phone with hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, hello....

To me it comes across as being so rude and dismissive almost as if saying - I'm finished with you now go away and don't be bothering me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We go again - all these beardy soccer players say that now !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

People who introduce themselves on the phone by saying "Hello, hi" It pisses me off big time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

cjmc wrote: »
    We go again - all these beardy soccer players say that now !

Liverpool have the copyright on that one.

So it begins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

gettyimages-11292120371-1024x658.jpg

• Advertisement

"I can feel it in me wather".. Hate that one

Advertisement