Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland one of 6 countries which has agreed to take migrants from Med ship

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The welfare system won't be long before collapse.
    I was in a social welfare office today, seem 3 Africans in wheelchairs applying for disability or something or orjer, fresh off the boat. The 3 wernt together, sitting separately anyway, is this the New scam? Either very stupid or very coincidental to have 3 Africans in wheelchairs in a small city office.
    Our government are hanging us up to dry.

How many Irish nationals have taken advantage of other countries ‘social support schemes’ during the various recessions that we went through since independence.....answer is thousands....!!

Irish people have short memories pre 1993 we arrived on the shores of uk and some but not all took advantage of what was on offer......complaint about taking in a handful of refugees is laughable if not shameful attitude

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Its to establish a permanent voting block. This is the sole reason. This is why they're promising [and giving] free stuff to all the migrants. Leo and FG know they'll have a block that will vote for them 100% of the time [atleast until there are enough of them here to establish their own parties, but Varadkar and the current Dail members don't care because they'll have fecked off with their golden pensions by then]

There will be blood on the streets when the welfare system collapses. They're already behaving badly here in Europe [the New Year's rape incidents anyone?, acid attacks, knife attacks, etc] so ofcourse they're really going to get violent when their handouts are gone.

Utter bollocks talk...above...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Road-Hog wrote: »
    How many Irish nationals have taken advantage of other countries ‘social support schemes’ during the various recessions that we went through since independence.....answer is thousands....!!
    Irish people have short memories pre 1993 we arrived on the shores of uk and some but not all took advantage of what was on offer......complaint about taking in a handful of refugees is laughable if not shameful attitude

You have a short memory, social welfare was not easily or readily available, fresh off the boat, neither was the concept of equal opportunities or min wage legislation. You either sank or swam, but never arrived to expect a hand-out.

How many went abroad to lay roads, build houses, staff hospitals and teach in schools?...... answer is 'hundreds of thousands'.

How many of Dublin's homeless families are non-EU citizens? Over 20% is how many. Whilst very unfortunate it does raise questions on the issue of illegal economic migration, visa/id fraud, sham marriges and people trafficking all of which will likely increase dramatically upon Brexitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭malinheader

Road-Hog wrote: »

In my experience when I arrived on other countries shores it was work or nothing. Social welfare benefits would of been minimal, not enough to keep you.
    If you're trying to compare what immigrants are entitled to in this country now to what I was entitled to in other countries back in the 80s and 90s you're talking chalk and cheese

In my experience when I arrived on other countries shores it was work or nothing. Social welfare benefits would of been minimal, not enough to keep you.
    If you're trying to compare what immigrants are entitled to in this country now to what I was entitled to in other countries back in the 80s and 90s you're talking chalk and cheese

It’s all relative.......you say when ‘you’ arrived it was work or nothing......not a great sample size to confirm any trend is it........? Of all those who left Ireland over the decades there definitely was a ‘cohort’ of soongers who milked as much of whatever country they arrived in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think it is fair to say Road Hog that there are large numbers of people from certain countries whose sole reason to be here is to live off us.

I exclude most eastern Europeans, Chinese and Indians from that.

Social dependency among Africans is way higher than the "natives" and most have no business being here as they are not from designated countries for asylum purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

murpho999 wrote: »
    The root cause of that is poverty and war.

I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I think it is fair to say Road Hog that there are large numbers of people from certain countries whose sole reason to be here is to live off us.

I exclude most eastern Europeans, Chinese and Indians from that.

Social dependency among Africans is way higher than the "natives" and most have no business being here as they are not from designated countries for asylum purposes.

In fairness theres more irish spongers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There are Irish spongers no doubt, just as there are Irish criminals.

That is hardly a rationale for importing more! It is not that difficult to make a judgement, and everyone coming here should be vetted for serious offences. Clearly they ar not to judge by court reports.

There is big difference between allowing residency to a software programmer from Mumbai and a bogus asylum seeker who lies about their past and who is unemployable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

In fairness theres more irish spongers

There our own problem. Not any African countries problem are they now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

You have a short memory, social welfare was not easily or readily available, fresh off the boat, neither was the concept of equal opportunities or min wage legislation. You either sank or swam, but never arrived to expect a hand-out.

How many went abroad to lay roads, build houses, staff hospitals and teach in schools?...... answer is 'hundreds of thousands'.

How many of Dublin's homeless families are non-EU citizens? Over 20% is how many. Whilst very unfortunate it does raise questions on the issue of illegal economic migration, visa/id fraud, sham marriges and people trafficking all of which will likely increase dramatically upon Brexitious.

You do realise lots of Irish went to the UK, which was one of the foremost welfare states? Not some dystopian place without social welfare.

Achebe wrote: »
    You do realise lots of Irish went to the UK, which was one of the foremost welfare states? Not some dystopian place without social welfare.

We went to work, not for the social welfare which if I remember correctly was substantially better off in Ireland.
    Used to be a good few from northern Ireland signing in the state because it was a better pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭creeper1

As someone suggested not long ago take a look at “skint Britain “ on YouTube to see the lifestyle enjoyed by those on benefits in Britain.

By comparison Ireland is an absolute soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

creeper1 wrote:
    As someone suggested not long ago take a look at “skint Britain “ on YouTube to see the lifestyle enjoyed by those on benefits in Britain.

I know people who were on the dole in England, they had no choice but to engage in criminal activities in order to survive
    creeper1 wrote:
    By comparison Ireland is an absolute soft touch.

Do people ever converse with people on the dole, as they don't seem to know much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭creeper1

Are you joking?

People on benefits in Ireland are absolutely showered with all kinds of money and they be idiots to give it up and work because they make far more with the endless amounts of money thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,012 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

creeper1 wrote:
    Are you joking?

No

creeper1 wrote:
    People on benefits in Ireland are absolutely showered with all kinds of money and they be idiots to give it up and work because they make far more with the endless amounts of money thrown at them.

And again, spend some time with unemployed people and you ll realise, their lives aren't all that great, maybe the problem is many employed people are being screwed, and not by the unemployed

The simple truth is if you have children you are better off on benefits than working for the minimum wage. The benefits far exceed what you would get working. Also if you're child wants to go to college in later life you will find being on Benefits is 100% better than the minimum wage. Not right in my eyes but true. I find it hard to see how alot of people can survive on the minimum wage alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We went to work, not for the social welfare which if I remember correctly was substantially better off in Ireland.
    Used to be a good few from northern Ireland signing in the state because it was a better pay out.

Here, loads of lads from Donegal, Longford etc went over in the 70s & 80s and the first thing they did was go look for a social flat from the council.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Here, loads of lads from Donegal, Longford etc went over in the 70s & 80s and the first thing they did was go look for a social flat from the council.

Pity I didn't know that. Would of saved me a fortune in digs money. So as soon as you landed in England you could present yourself to the council and get a flat is what you are saying.

Pity I didn't know that. Would of saved me a fortune in digs money. So as soon as you landed in England you could present yourself to the council and get a flat is what you are saying.

No, I said you could present and apply for one - not that you'd get it on day one.

12:30 of this video:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1030-emigration-once-again/319381-irish-emigrants-in-london/

Any Irish person could have presented themselves at the scratch looking for dole straight off the boat same as any Englishman, and believe me many many did. That right extended to putting yourself on a housing list - and many did also.

• Advertisement

No, I said you could present and apply for one - not that you'd get it on day one.

12:30 of this video:

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1030-emigration-once-again/319381-irish-emigrants-in-london/

Any Irish person could have presented themselves at the scratch looking for dole straight off the boat same as any Englishman, and believe me many many did. That right extended to putting yourself on a housing list - and many did also.

I have seen this before, A certain Andy Kelly reported for this documentary I think.
    If you read the report below the video it totally contradicts the video. On the streets. Squats and shelters are mentioned no mention of a social flat. Even the lads at the end it says are squatting. A great quote was. And so the English welfare system solves problems for the Irish government. All I can say in my experience it was none existent in my time or perhaps I just was lucky and didn't need it. But we helped alot of our own who fell on hard times and none of them seemed to be looked after by social welfare.

I have seen this before, A certain Andy Kelly reported for this documentary I think.
    If you read the report below the video it totally contradicts the video. On the streets. Squats and shelters are mentioned no mention of a social flat. Even the lads at the end it says are squatting. A great quote was. And so the English welfare system solves problems for the Irish government. All I can say in my experience it was none existent in my time or perhaps I just was lucky and didn't need it. But we helped alot of our own who fell on hard times and none of them seemed to be looked after by social welfare.

The point stands, the Irish had immediate access to social welfare in Britain and many weren't shy about taking it up. That video is evidence of that. Completely contradicting your naaive post that all Irish were honest to goodness self-sufficient brickies from day one that wouldn't dare go to HM' dole office. (Or perhaps you're trying to suggest the Irish were a better class of immigrant in 70s/80s UK - more likely).

They were also entitled to put themselves on a housing list just as any Englishman was who was in need of housing - and I happen to know people who did just that in the UK in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Yurt! wrote:
    The point stands, the Irish had immediate access to social welfare in Britain and many weren't shy about taking it up. That video is evidence of that. Completely contradicting your naaive post that all Irish were honest to goodness self-sufficient brickies from day one that wouldn't dare go to HMS' dole office.

I disagree with Irish people moving to a foreign country solely to claim benefits.

I also disagree with foreign nationals moving to Ireland to do the exact same thing.

I disagree with Irish people moving to a foreign country solely to claim benefits.

I also disagree with foreign nationals moving to Ireland to do the exact same thing.

I'd agree with you on that point. It's not desirable in the slightest.

The situation with Ireland and Britain was and is unique however. Legally speaking, the British state cannot treat an Irish person as a foreigner even though we might regard ourselves as such in the UK.

There has been a suggestion on this thread that the Irish are too upstanding and brimming with work-ethic that they wouldn't immediately sign-on in a foreign land when given half the chance, which is bunkum. It happened in spades over the decades in the UK. Most young Irish didn't have a pot to piss in when moving over and for a hell of a lot of them their first port of call was the dole office.

The point stands, the Irish had immediate access to social welfare in Britain and many weren't shy about taking it up. That video is evidence of that. Completely contradicting your naaive post that all Irish were honest to goodness self-sufficient brickies from day one that wouldn't dare go to HM' dole office. (Or perhaps you're trying to suggest the Irish were a better class of immigrant in 70s/80s UK - more likely).

They were also entitled to put themselves on a housing list just as any Englishman was who was in need of housing - and I happen to know people who did just that in the UK in the 80s.

Putting yourself on a list does not necessarily mean you will get something. No I'm not suggesting that at all. But perhaps your trying to suggest all of us who headed over lived it up on welfare.

Putting yourself on a list does not necessarily mean you will get something. No I'm not suggesting that at all. But perhaps your trying to suggest all of us who headed over lived it up on welfare.

On your first sentence, I never suggested as such - but the Irish were as entitled to put themselves on a housing list as Johnny Englishman from Croydon, and many did.

Quite the contrary, you a made a claim that the Irish didn't go to Britain for welfare, when it's quite plain that it was widespread for young Irish to sign on when arriving in the UK.

We were not a higher-class of immigrant. We were exactly the same.

On your first sentence, I never suggested as such - but the Irish were as entitled to put themselves on a housing list as Johnny Englishman from Croydon, and many did.

Quite the contrary, you a made a claim that the Irish didn't go to Britain for welfare, when it's quite plain that it was widespread for young Irish to sign on when arriving in the UK.

We wer
    e not a higher-class of immigrant. We were exactly the same.

So it was widespread that the Irish signed on when arriving in England. Well I would certainly disagree with that statement. But hey that's your opinion and perhaps you acquainted with a different class of Irish as I did.

So it was widespread that the Irish signed on when arriving in England. Well I would certainly disagree with that statement. But hey that's your opinion and perhaps you acquainted with a different class of Irish as I did.

It absolutely was widespread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It absolutely was widespread.
    It absolutely wasn't. People went there to work, it may have occured but it certainly wasn't the primary (or even secondary motive), it was a last resort. Bear in mind back in the 60/70's there wasn't exactly a big welcome mat on the doors.

You're also failing to acknowledge that any movement between two very close neighbours (with a shared language and culture) is fully natural, and to be expected.

Perhaps a good example of mass migraiton of sorts, is the fact that the many decades of (natural) Irish living in the UK have been overtaked by a (far) Eastern European country (way over towards the Ukraine). That hasn't even been in the EU very long at all, a handful of years. Hence:Brexit Y:52%.

And what isn't 'normal' is 86 random folks illegally showing up from multiple craft upon Dover's coast (as happened on Tuesday) all from various far flung places (non from Syria) many thousands of miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

From my limited experience when I worked in England for a few years in the early eighties their were many Irish on the building sites who topped up their wages with the giro.. Nothing cleared a site quicker than a few guys in suits with notebooks appearing out of nowhere

Advertisement