Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Broadband. 30/month. 750GB

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Mr.S wrote: »
    This plan really makes no sense at the moment when you can get the same connection on €30 Pre-Pay and just buy a 4G dongle or Router. Until the start throttling those connections / enforcing the 60GB FUP, I have no idea why someone would pay an extra 10er a month for the same product :confused:

They have never made any sense.

I looked at the 750GB plan when it first came out a year (or more?) ago thinking that it might mean three were going to enforce there 60GB limit but nothings changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

Not sure if this would work in a router but eir have a similar plan of "unlimited data." For the same price as Three expect it's slightly better value as you only need to top up every 30 days instead of 28 days. And IMO eir love or hate them have better speeds on their network.

Not sure if this would work in a router but eir have a similar plan of "unlimited data." For the same price as Three expect it's slightly better value as you only need to top up every 30 days instead of 28 days. And IMO eir love or hate them have better speeds on their network.

Its very easy to check if a phone is being used as a hotspot or if the SIM is in a router. Three don't but in my experience all the other providers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

go4it wrote: »
    @daughton99 : i had my eyes on B525 router ( more suitable for house sharing, and has a phone line out )

Three store told me the line out is not functioning on their routers.

my3cents wrote: »
    It's very easy to check if a phone is being used as a hotspot or if the SIM is in a router. Three don't, but in my experience, all the other providers do.

Just checked the terms and conditions and nothing I've seen prohibits you from sharing the data using a hotspot they even have a guide on their website on how to set up a hotspot on different phones. I'd say it's a better deal than Three especially if you want faster speeds.

• Advertisement

Just checked the terms and conditions and nothing I've seen prohibits you from sharing the data using a hotspot they even have a guide on their website on how to set up a hotspot on different phones. I'd say it's a better deal than Three especially if you want faster speeds.

Thats why I separated out hotspot from router.

You have to try it to be sure but the ISP's can if they want to dive into the headers on the data transmitted and know exactly what device you are using.

There may also be a specific APN for "broadband" and a different ones for phone users with SIM's set up specifically for phone or broadband.

With three we know none of that makes any difference so we need someone to see if Eir are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

80GB limit on that eir "unlimited" offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Worth pointing out that your connection heavily depends on location / congestion. Try both out before committing.

Exactly. Testing myself and in my home location Eir 4G is diabolical even during non peak hours.
    However it's literally 10 times faster at work.

You really need to take a suck it and see approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've been using the E20 PAYG for the last 18 months and I have been very happy with it. A couple of points I have on it.
    • It is against their T&C to share it with other devices (even tethering), so if that is a problem for you, thats going to be a problem!
    • Its E20 every 28days, rather than E20 a month, so in reality it's ~E22 a month (although not exactly expensive!)
    • I have it setup to automatically top-up every 28 days, I set this up through the my three website.
    • I bought a B525 router unlocked and second hand from Ebay, it was about E60 delivered. WiFi performance is pretty average on it.
    • I have to place it in a very specific spot in my attic, facing a specific way, to get the best speeds from it
    • Normally I get 80Mb down and about 15Mb up. I do not have a noticeable drop off in the evening times
    • I have two internets in my house, this 3 one and also phone lines ADSL (7Mb down and 0.5Mb up). I used the 3 for myself mainly as a dedicated line for working from home and streaming (when I used to stream)
    • I would semi regularly need to swap from 4G to 3G if it slows down. Sometimes I've had to fail back to the phone line, but rarely
    • I'm not sure how much data I use, but I doubt I go anywhere near even the 750Gb mentioned in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I have the eir offer - it’s good but it’s every 28 days

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I have the eir offer - it’s good, but it’s every 28 days

Are you sure you're not confusing the two because on Eirs website it's a 30-day rolling contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

This plan really makes no sense at the moment when you can get the same connection on €20 Pre-Pay and just buy a 4G dongle or Router. Until the start throttling those connections / enforcing the 60GB FUP, I have no idea why someone would pay an extra 10er a month for the same product :confused:

Because it's not really €10 per month extra.

The prepay plan is every 28 days so that works out close enough to €22 per month.

So €8 "saving" x 18 months = €144 total saving and that's about the price of the Huawei B525 router from Amazon, which you get free with Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Are you sure you're not confusing the two because on Eirs website it's a 30-day rolling contract.

Ah sorry I’ve pre pay

Advertisement