Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Broadband. 30/month. 750GB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TwistFace

I've had this for 18 months. I think its great value. They just rang me last week to let me know I was out of contract and if I wanted to sign up for another 6 months, they would give me 1 month free. I signed up for another 12 months and got 2 months free. Also you get all of the 3Plus rewards - Cinema offer 2 for €10 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I would just make sure the speed is good enough, and check multiples times over a week to be sure. I tried it and it was severely congested and so useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Its 750 gb per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Das Reich wrote: »
    Its 750 gb per month?

So what? Many users on three have such slow speeds if they torrented 24/7 they'd still never manage to download 750GB in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TwistFace

heffo500 wrote: »
    I would just make sure the speed is good enough, and check multiples times over a week to be sure. I tried it and it was severely congested and so useless.

Agree with this. Make sure to buy this online so that you can easily return it within 14 (?) days. EU laws have your back with buying online or over the phone. If you buy in store you have a big uphill battle to get out of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Cyclical Apocalypse

askU wrote: »
    Bill Pay wireless Broadband
    FREE router included
    18-month contract

https://www.three.ie/plans/mobile-broadband/bill-pay/

Good deal? Is there better?

I'd say a better deal is their €20 phone package its bill pay, and you get unlimited data it's what I would go for if you have an old Android phone laying around that you could use as a hotspot or you can get one of those Huawei modems second-hand.

https://www.three.ie/plans/phone/prepay/

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    It was a question, no need get so narky.

The answer was a simple yes.

I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to ask the question when its stated in the title.

But for anyone that really is that stupid it needs pointing out that 750GB is unobtainable for many customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

I'd say a better deal is they're €20 phone package its bill pay, and you get unlimited data it's what I would go for if you have an old Android phone laying around that you could use as a hotspot or you can get one of those Huawei modems second-hand.

I would second this option.
    €20 per month with zero contract. Unlimited data and still get the same 3 offers mentioned previously.
    It's basically costing you €10 extra per month for your "free" router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I'd say a better deal is they're €20 phone package its bill pay, and you get unlimited data it's what I would go for if you have an old Android phone laying around that you could use as a hotspot or you can get one of those Huawei modems second-hand.

daddy pig wrote: »
    I would second this option.
    €20 per month with zero contract. Unlimited data and still get the same 3 offers mentioned previously.
    It's basically costing you €10 extra per month for your "free" router.

Im sure if you checked Three's T's & C's you would understand that it is not to be used in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ooter

or you can get one of those Huawei modems second-hand.

i was told in one of the stores before (can't remember which one) that those modem thingys take a different sim to mobile phones, is that not the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Im sure if you checked Three's T's & C's you would understand that it is not to be used in this way

:rolleyes:
    I expect 3 to fold any moment from the €10 extra in my pocket each month

ooter wrote: »
    i was told in one of the stores before (can't remember which one) that those modem things take a different sim to mobile phones, is that not the case?

They do take the same SIM as any modern phone I forget exactly what it's called, but the SIM card comes in three different layers you remove the cardboard surround until you get to the correct size, so you have the three different card sizes in one.

i was told in one of the stores before (can't remember which one) that those modem thingys take a different sim to mobile phones, is that not the case?

When you get a SIM that SIM is set up (on three's system) so its either a Broadband SIM or a Phone SIM.

You can put a Phone SIM in a Broadband modem and it normally works.

The size is just down to the device you are using and not related to broadband or phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

It's midband, not broadband. 3 are also the most congested network due to its lower price point. You'd be better off with the unlimited 20 a month sim, at least then you aren't stuck trying to get out of an 18 month contract when the speeds turn out to be rubbish. You can pick up a router on eBay or Amazon for 30 or 40 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭go4it

askU wrote: »
    Bill Pay wireless Broadband
    FREE router included
    18 month contract

https://www.three.ie/plans/mobile-broadband/bill-pay/

Good deal? Is there better?

The 30 day rolling contract with router included looks a bit better ( modem is about 150--- but really 100 after you unlock it )

The wording iin the T&C's says something about 18 months contract...although from the webpage i understood : sign up for 30 day, pay 30e and cancel afterward and keep the modem...

But it's just greedy me..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Top up and using all you can eat data is less risky in terms of excess usage if you’re likely to use 750GB in a month.

For a ‘midband’ product that’s a more than generous allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I tried it at home a while back and even though I had a few bars of 4G connectivity the speed I got was approx 1Mbps which is around what I get from my ADSL. 3's network is terrible.

eir have just launced "unlimited" data options, so I'm using that. I get about 6Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

It really depends on your area, weather and time. I was getting 15-80 mb so it was decent alternative to VDSL2.

I was getting a steady 30mb speed tethering off my phone.

One thing to try if the speeds on 4G are crap is go into the modem settings and change to 3G only this might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

go4it wrote: »
    The 30 day rolling contract with router included looks a bit better ( modem is about 150--- but really 100 after you unlock it )

The wording iin the T&C's says something about 18 months contract...although from the webpage i understood : sign up for 30 day, pay 30e and cancel afterward and keep the modem...

But it's just greedy me..

60 euro for the Huawei E5573 thru three or 48 sterling from Amazon unlocked.
    https://www.three.ie/online/data/prepay/huawei-e5573-black/

36 euro unlocked on Aliexpress if you want to wait for delivery
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32555955523.html

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

From my reading of the terms and conditions of the unlimited data allowance,it seems that 60gb is the max allowed and persistent abuse will be penalised.
    Also it states the maximum download speed of the 4g is 10 mbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

My phone is three prepay and I just use that for internet. Top up by 20 quid every 28 days and I have free internet for the month. I either tether via wireless or via USB. I would be topping up the phone regardless as main phone.

I never had an issue and am always streaming, torrenting and downloading. Could use 400GB a month.

I get around 45 Meg download via peak times and very seldom the 4G stops working in my area and just switch the phone over to 3G.

No need to be paying for stuff twice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭go4it

@daughton99 : i had my eyes on B525 router ( more suitable for house sharing, and has a phone line out )

later edit : it's a glitch : they sell you the router for 150e, on 30 day sim broadband

knockers84 wrote: »
    My phone is three prepay and I just use that for internet. Top up by 20 quid every 28 days and I have free internet for the month. I either tether via wireless or via USB. I would be topping up the phone regardless as main phone.

I never had an issue and am always streaming, torrenting and downloading. Could use 400GB a month.

I get around 45 Meg download via peak times and very seldom the 4G stops working in my area and just switch the phone over to 3G.

No need to be paying for stuff twice :)

Thanks,
    I will give this a try.
    I'm paying €45 a month to Vodafone for fixed line which is 18meg download speed.
    It's only used for 3-4 hours in the evening as there's no one at home during the day.

Frank_1969 wrote: »
    From my reading of the terms and conditions of the unlimited data allowance,it seems that 60gb is the max allowed and persistent abuse will be penalised.
    Also it states the maximum download speed of the 4g is 10 mbs.

Neither of those statements are fact.
    The fair usage on this particular one is 750GB and there is no speed cap other than the limitations of the network.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Neither of those statements are fact.
    The fair usage on this particular one is 750GB and there is no speed cap other than the limitations of the network.

I was referring to the €20 top up every 28 days SIM only "unlimited data" for phones (tethering).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

I too use the €20 top up plan. https://www.three.ie/plans/sim-only/
    Three to Three calls free > Free texts to any network and all you can eat data, with internet usage over 60gb i believe Three.ie can be throttle it, but i dont think they slowed my internet speed down as i usually go a little over the 60gb. I got a ways to go to download 400gb in 28 days thou, but i will try.

Oh yes you get to spend that €20 anyway you wish to.

Been using one of the prepaid phone sims in a router for the last 6 months without issue. Not bothered what their t&c say.

Well when I say without issue that’s not true, despite full 4G coverage their network is basically unuseable at peak times it’s so slow due to contention no doubt so I’m sure glad to be paying 20 and not 30 and not be in a contract as I’m getting rid of it now and moving to another provider.

A useless network, eir is far far superior but their capped Internet was an issue but their speeds were excellent even at peak times.

Exact some some just the size can vary but all new sims come with the surrounds to fit in any size sim holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

my3cents wrote: »
    I didn't think anyone was stupid enough to ask the question when its stated in the title.

But for anyone that really is that stupid it needs pointing out that 750GB is unobtainable for many customers.

I had already this plan before and it was only 60 gb per month, that's why I asked.

Advertisement