Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Walt?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

my3cents wrote: »
    When they just wear out what tends to happen is ..... wooosh.

Or the whole thing overheats with crap buildup inside it ..... and then the above happens.

If you really apply enough pressure or let enough crap build up then you can just burn the commutator brushes or winding's out.

I have an air line in the shed and occasionally blow the dust out of my tools especially grinders.

Sorry. Forum gave me crap there. Hence my responses are upside down. What I'd previously typed was:

Wow! Thank You!

I honestly hardly have a clue what ye talking about ~ I've always been more creature orientated than mechanical stuff. But, in simple terms? Yes. I now see a possible link! Cases!

I'm a bit of a sucker for good, rigid cases I'd buy one tool, over another, on the strength of a good case.

Yet, how many mini grinders come in a cardboard box? What's with that?

Bloke who owns the local, independent, merchants once told me a power tool can die from Un use, as much as Over use. Tool left laying around can just up and die. Maybe he meant dust 'n sh!t drifting in there? Grease drying off on balls and things?

I can only say that my tools are, when ever possible, stored in purpose supplied, close fitting cases.

All my tools are kept in a well ventilated room. On shelves. Placed there. Not just slung down. Preferably in their maker supplied cases.

However, saying that? I have an uncased, no name, electric drill out there. Used every week. And an identical jigsaw. Used a few times a year. See? Logic and reason just doesn't seem to apply.

Anyway, how did this simple post about the quality of a remarkable brand became a tosser fest about mini angle grinders? There's only one common denominator there, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

So did you buy a DeWalt drill?

Drill Bit, Cletus. Forstner. Amazon reviews absolutely savaged the Bosch one (£8.00) and I'm not in the business of going for £3.00 ones. Paid £12.00 for this thing. Then, learned the horrible, new truth!

Word is; They're trying to dumb down certain of their range, to cheapen it and appeal to the household market. What truth there may be in that, I have no idea. But, if I were ever in the market for a full on DeWalt tool now? I'd have my eyes all over every word on that box!

I don't like the C word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

nothing wrong with made in china. it the guys designing the tools that are wrong. china will make you a 5 euro drill or a 5000 euro drill if you spec it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This thread is more like De Wat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Stigura wrote: »
    Drill Bit, Cletus. Forstner. Amazon reviews absolutely savaged the Bosch one (£8.00) and I'm not in the business of going for £3.00 ones. Paid £12.00 for this thing. Then, learned the horrible, new truth!

Word is; They're trying to dumb down certain of their range, to cheapen it and appeal to the household market. What truth there may be in that, I have no idea. But, if I were ever in the market for a full on DeWalt tool now? I'd have my eyes all over every word on that box!

I don't like the C word.

LOL - three pages in and I finally understand your original post :D

I haven't tried the DeWalt Forstner bits but have had plenty of other short lived ones from the far east.

Check out Fisch: https://www.fine-tools.com/fisch-forstnerbohrer.html and Trend: http://www.trend-uk.com/en/IE/productlist/3/253/forstners.html

China will make you a 5 euro drill or a 5000 euro drill if you spec it that way.

Maybe so. But; If who ever has always made DeWalt wanted to maintain their quality; Why not keep on keeping on? Why outsource?

In truth, I probably have far more experience and knowledge of traps, actually. Half a century of using a famous, english made one. Then, Chinese ones appeared. I bought some, just out of curiosity.

There were parts rattling around in the box! They'd fallen off in transit!!! :eek:

No. Not for me, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

nothing wrong with made in china. it the guys designing the tools that are wrong. china will make you a 5 euro drill or a 5000 euro drill if you spec it that way.

V true and not necessarily about bad design; it's "fit to purpose" design and when the purpose is high volume and low cost; stacking them high in a big box store and selling them cheap then quality control is the first thing on the chopping block. Hence we see a high delta in reviews of the same tool, one person has one that's built great and lasts forever, and another with the same make/model has one that falls apart or burns their house down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

What in the fresh hell am I after reading...

Chinese factories make exactly what they're paid to make.
    Every product you can get is either made in China or has Chinese made parts.
    You have a whole shed full of tools? Only because of Chinese manufacturing, you wouldn't be able to afford them otherwise. Why hate on them?

Forstner bits aren't the right choice unless it needs to be a forstner bit.

Fortune cookies are American.

A good case is handy but not a good guide - Bosch green have excellent cases.

Nobody reading this thread thinks your tools broke for any reason other than "user error".

P8200414tn.jpg
    ^^^This thing has not had little use/been looked after (though I do like the "cordless" modification

DIY vs. Pro-sumer vs. professional tools is a thing, hard to see how far DeWalt will go down that road. They already have the Black&Decker brand for market differentiation.

Forstner bits aren't the right choice unless it needs to be a forstner bit.

:confused: I'd genuinely appreciate any further information on that point. I've been making a Lot of 45mm holes, in 1" deal. Using a CK Hole Saw. It's been ugly.

Someone, on here, pointed out I might be better off with a Forstner. That's, honestly, the first time I'd heard of them.

What ye reckon?

• Advertisement

i think a forsner bit is the right too for your job. what are you using to drive it. a drill press is the best for bits like that. you need the right speed for the diameter.
    have a look at sharpening bits like that on you tube. even a new bit can need a bit of tlc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Hmmm...
    Yeah, I'd normally say a flat bit or auger for cutting through anything...but a 45mm flat could be trouble and an auger that big could be hard to find/require a bank loan.

A good forstner bit is probably the right choice alright.
    pen turner probably on the money by asking what you're using to drive it.

:D Even as we speak; My, fifty year old, Wolf drill is winging its way to me. To fit in my, fifty year old, Wolf Press!

I aim to bolt that baby down. Make up a jig. Then take it cool and slow with getting these holes done. Sounds like heaven!

Hole saw might be fine for the odd job. But, when ye punching a couple of dozen at a time? Nah! I was dreading it. It was just Wrong.

hole saws a fine but on timber they clog up and over heat. if you drill a smaller hole that touches the main hole it can help. using compressed air can help
    have you looked into tct holesaws. they are great

a step drill bit could work it you got one the right size

have you a link to the bit your using

Have I looked at these 'Great' TCT hole saws? Yeah! Just now. Now I need a lie down! :eek: Jesus wept! Prices on those things, I'd expect them to make my tea and massage my shoulders as I work!

No. My CK's have cost me enough ~ what with arbours and so forth. Horrible bloody things, in truth, once ye have a job on. (I make bird nest boxes. When I get a moodie on, I'm at it on an industrial scale. It's got so I lay awake, dreading the holes part. A gruesome accident was inevitable, the way I was operating)

I'll wait and see how my new set up pans out. At least it'll all be secured, and I'll be able to calmly take my time. No one's paying me for this. I have no reason to rush, or put pressure on my tools.

Here's a random, googled, link to the things I've been using thus far. Like I say; Fine, for cutting a hole. But, when it's been a long day and ye have two dozen to cut? No.

Maybe they'd be fine in the drill press? But, I have this Forstner to try now :)

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/905647-48mm-bi-metal-holesaw

Stigura wrote: »
    Have I looked at these 'Great' TCT hole saws? Yeah! Just now. Now I need a lie down! :eek: Jesus wept! Prices on those things, I'd expect them to make my tea and massage my shoulders as I work!

No. My CK's have cost me enough ~ what with arbours and so forth. Horrible bloody things, in truth, once ye have a job on. (I make bird nest boxes. When I get a moodie on, I'm at it on an industrial scale. It's got so I lay awake, dreading the holes part. A gruesome accident was inevitable, the way I was operating)

I'll wait and see how my new set up pans out. At least it'll all be secured, and I'll be able to calmly take my time. No one's paying me for this. I have no reason to rush, or put pressure on my tools.

Here's a random, googled, link to the things I've been using thus far. Like I say; Fine, for cutting a hole. But, when it's been a long day and ye have two dozen to cut? No.

Maybe they'd be fine in the drill press? But, I have this Forstner to try now :)

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/905647-48mm-bi-metal-holesaw

they are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My father bought an angle grinder in Aldi the day the opened in ireland first.

This machine has cut miles and miles of pretty much anything, Steel, Wood, grinding, sanding, mopping, its chased walls for cabling it has a floppy power cord at this point but the thing goes and goes and goes and never failed to start.

I had a loan of it for the last year doing some ridiculous work on the house and its still there flying away. Looks like its been through the wars but its reliable.

Only saw a Hikoki (hitatchi) on sale there 2 weeks ago and said i better give my 'loan' back to him so i bought that.

I think everyone can agree cheap doesnt mean crap. And nearly everything is made in China and has been for a long time.

Advertisement