Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Walt?

Options
  • 20-08-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Bosch. Hitachi. Makita. I've killed them All! Never had a De Walt though. Word always had it They'd be MY nemesis! (At That bloody price ....?!)

So, the other week, needing a Forstner Bit, I actually plumped for a De Walt. (I know. But, it's De Walt. It's bright yellow. It has " De Walt " emblazened on its side. For everyone to see ~ except; I'm Billy No F***ing Mates!)

How chuffed was I? Until I found the f***ing Fortune Cookie!!! :mad:

I've since heard the natives are indeed getting restless.

So; What's the Boards DIY Massive's view on all this?

De Walt down de pan?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What in the jaysus is this thread about...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

listermint wrote: »
    What in the jaysus is this thread about...

:confused: What's with the passive aggression? Do ye go to the Quantum Physics board. Think: " Nope. Beyond my experience. I don't understand. So, I'll post ' What in the jaysus is this thread about...'?

You the forum police? Why stick ye oar in?

problem-you-madtn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what's going on either. I thought I did, and then you started talking about fortune cookies, and now I'm lost

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy a hilti you will never use anything else again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Or Milwaukee

• Advertisement

Buy a hilti you will never use anything else again.

I will, if its a bloody Mini Grinder! :D For some, unfathomable, reason; I'm the Grim Reaper of Grinders!

My neighbour's always saying I can borrow his. I flee! If I borrowed the one he's used for years? It'd die, in a puff of acrid smoke. Right there in my hands. Guaranteed! Why??? :confused: I swear to god; I don't over work them. I could cut plastic guttering and kill one!

Agreed though: Hilti. Makita. Milwalkee. Names a Tradesman would be proud to be seen, on site, with. (I'd Still kill their bloody angle grinders though! :pac:)

Regards DeWalt? Anyone who doesn't see what I'm saying simply can't have got the word. My boss knows. My Butcher's on the case.

What ever ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure i am following this corectly.
    i think the op is saying dewalt is made in china.

not sure why you are breaking everything. i can count on one hand how many tools i have broken or worn out. 2 of those are impact drivers that are used hard everyday. one burnt out after driving 20k screws on summer . thats pritty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Festool.

i think the op is saying dewalt is made in china.

My Man! :cool:

Why do I break mini angle grinders? My god; If Only I could figure that one out! It's just my curse!

I have a Hitachi power saw here. Blade's now as blunt as my thumb. Cut that much wood with it. Just waiting for the shop in town to get more blades in. Used it for Years though. Fine.

Skil drill? Must have been well old when I got it. Lasted me a decade!

Bosch power plane? No Problemmo. (Though, I Do have an aversion to Bosch. One of their drills let me down, big time. Now, I see their reviews slipping ..... Outsourced? Soy Sauced?)

But, no: No Brand. Makita. Some Other? THREE mini grinders in as many years?! I'm terrified of the bloody things!

If I ever see a twenty five yo grinder? I'll grab it. It'll die, anyway :(

how do you kill them . what breaks

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Festool.

Cool shout. I'd never heard of them.

However; At a glance? They appear all about cordless dust extraction?

I'm a fart around at homer. I actually prefer my plugged in and extension leaded tools.

Also; Dust has never really bothered me. Again; I guess not doing this stuff for a living. Day after day. Having smoked my lungs dry, for forty odd years?! I'm a walking dead man anyway! :D I just want to make some more nest boxes. Sawdust won't kill me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Hang on a second..

Did you buy a DeWalt drill bit or a DeWalt Drill or a DeWalt 4" grinder ??

how do you kill them . what breaks

Dunno, mate! Honest to god! And, I don't kill any other power tools. Only mini grinders!

Swear to god; I can be buffing off a nib of cement with one? Suddenly, it starts sounding wrong. Slows down. Smoke pours out! DEAD!!!

Stick a brass brush on one? Try to strip back the top of a small freezer? Smoke. Sh!t. DEAD!

It's like I'm a Marvel Super Hero. " Grinder Killer "! An ordinary man with an extraordinary capability.

I have a 9" Hitachi now. Complete over kill, for the sort of nick nacks I deal with. Every time I push its trigger though, I say a little prayer!

Seriously: I just can't see what I'm doing so wrong :(

Stigura wrote: »
    So, the other week, needing a Forstner Bit, I actually plumped for a De Walt.
    knipex wrote: »
    Hang on a second..

Did you buy a DeWalt drill bit or a DeWalt Drill or a DeWalt 4" grinder ??

Yeah. I know. Sh!t's organic ;)

thats strange. we have a dewalt mini grinder for years and its fine after serious work over the years. i have a 110v hitachi (you often see them being sold as a set with the 9") i spent 3 days pritty solid grinding witha cup grinding disk. still perfect.

are you leaving them running while not using them a bit. are they 110v or 240 v . are you using a long cable

With Dogs around? I'd, obviously, Never leave a power tool running.

Had them on fifty foot extensions. Died. Had them plugged into the wall next to me. Dead.

240 / AC / Plug in the wall. Always.

I swear to god. It's The Gypsys Curse. Put me on live TV. Give me a DeWalt, or what ever. I'll kill it. Right there on camera. And people will push back into their armchairs.

" :eek: What?! WTF did he just do?!? "

I'll be on Talk Shows! Uri Geller eat ye heart out!

Seriously though: There's just No explaining it :(

Anyway; Waiting for a fifty year old Wolf drill to arrive. To go in my fifty year old Wold pillar. Bet they'll both outlast this DeWalt bit! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If you are killing trade grade power tools you are either putting serious hours on them or are using them incorrectly.

The odd dud will get through quality control but its you thats the common denominator here.

I can well believe that you can burn any grinder out - with enough use.

A guy I used to know in the UK makes tool handles (still does found him online recently) and restores masses of old hand tools. His main tool for virtually everything is an angle grinder with a 60 grit sanding disk on it. With that he can shape handles to fit tools and clean off old rusty tools (axes, spades, forks shovles etc) iirc his grinder of choice was always a Makita because it lasted longer than any others. In the end even the Makitas wore out think they normally lasted about 6 months then he'd get a warranty replacement use that for another 6 months then rince n repeat.

Most other grinders would hardly last a month with hard daily use.

Talking long ago to a repair guy who did warranty repairs for most of the main power tool companies its the quality of bearings that make the biggest difference once you have a decent motor and gears. The cooling sucks air over the bearings and motor but contains all the dust and crap that you are grinding. The cheaper the bearings the quicker the seals give out and all the crap gets ground into the ball bearings. Some of the manufacturers have tried to improve on the situation by only sucking air in from the back of the tool away from the worst of the crap think DeWalt make (or made) one that is advertised as doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Remember the guy working with us who stated he worked with the ESB and many others and knew it all.... He would be drilling through a floor while putting all his weight on the drill which in turn meant it couldn't do its job.

He was some spoofer....

Couldn't even bend conduit.

my3cents wrote: »
    I can well believe that you can burn any grinder out - with enough use.

Its the quality of bearings that make the biggest difference once you have a decent motor and gears.

Okay. Going Way over my head, there :o I'm addicted to these 'Restoration' merchants, on the tube? " Hand Tool Rescue " is my favorite. I could watch him loosening nuts all day.

He seems, though, to have some esoteric understanding of ball bearings. It's all a mystery, to me.

And, when he opens an antiquated drill, and pulls out the motor? I just glaze over and watch copper wire.

But, as Mr Musician says; " The odd dud will get through ". Agreed. True. But; 'It's Me that's the common denominator.'?

No. No it's not. I own a sh!t ton of tools. I know enough not to abuse any of them. Most last me years. It's just mini grinders! Urrrrgh!!!

DeWalt? Are ye listening? I Challenge You! Me; Killer of All Grinders! One of ye best competitors, Makita? F***ing Days! I still have the husk, to prove it!

Look Upon My Work And Fear Me!

P8200414tn.jpg

Send me your Best Corded Mini Grinder. Weep, as I kill it like Hitman Monkey would!

Hitman-Monkeytn.jpg

Then, perhaps do a post mortem and discover how I do it? And, I swear to god; It's most Definitely Not leaning on the thing. Pushing it. Or, in any other way abusing it.

I was taught, early on: " Never Force a tool. Let It do the job. Else it may come back at ye! "

Anyway: How the hell did a post about the quality of outsourced tools get to this :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Anyway: How the hell did a post about the quality of outsourced tools get to this :confused:

'cause most of us didn't have a feckin' clue what you were on about dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

20 years tiling and I'm only on my 2nd 4" grinder. 2000 till 2012 I had an Einhell. It emitted a cloud of smoke one evening and that was that. 28 punts. The next day I got a Makita for 75e and it's still going strong. One thing I'm strict about is "Don't lie on it" or "Drive it like you stole it" . Take your time. Let it do its job.

My first impression is you're putting too much physical pressure on the tool. Grinding takes a bit of time. What are you grinding? The disc should do the work, not you.

I've had 1 non brand screw gun die on me, and that was entirely my fault for the above reason

sligojoek wrote: »
    2000 till 2012 I had an Einhell. It emitted a cloud of smoke one evening and that was that.

That's It!!! Exactly! :eek: Cloud of bloody acrid smoke!

Did ye ever get to the bottom of WHY it did that though? I see people talk about " Brushes ". Could it be that a wire works loose?

Mate of mine's a Tradesman. He has tools He's had ~ and worked to death, every day ~ for years and years. I think he has a Makita 4"? Since for ever! He's a Plumber who's also well into welding. Solar panels. Black Smithing! He must give that grinder hell!

Me? I treat them like babies. They fart smoke in my face and die :( I swear to god; I'm not sure I'll Ever buy a 4" grinder again. It'd be Einstein's definition of Insanity!

My first impression is you're putting too much physical pressure on the tool. Grinding takes a bit of time. What are you grinding? The disc should do the work, not you.

As I'd said:

I was taught, early on: " Never Force a tool. Let It do the job. Else it may come back at ye! "

Just no rhyme or reason. I'm cursed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

As I'd said:

Just no rhyme or reason. I'm cursed :(

I'd gamble the reason is not that you're cursed but more your stupidity.

Learn how to use the equipment properly.

jim salter wrote: »
    I'd gamble the reason is not that you're cursed but more your stupidity.

Learn how to use the equipment properly.

You-Don-t-Saytn.jpg
    Wow! Thanks, Jim! You're not an arrogant **** at all, are ye? Is it the drink, maybe?

When they just wear out what tends to happen is the bearing seals go and then the bearings wear out but the grinder keeps going but with the rear bearing loose (front can still be OK) the commutator (bit the brushes bear against) wears really fast because the shaft is no longer running true. Then either the thing overheats or the commutator gives ups and becomes short circuited and wooosh.

Or the whole thing overheats with crap buildup inside it and if this doesn't cause problems directly with the motor then the bearings overheat and start to melt the plastic housing just enough so they don't fit and then the above happens.

If you really apply enough pressure or let enough crap build up then you can just burn the commutator brushes or winding's out.

I have an air line in the shed and occasionally blow the dust out of my tools especially grinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Did ye ever get to the bottom of WHY it did that though? I see people talk about " Brushes ". Could it be that a wire works loose?

Mate of mine's a Tradesman. He has tools He's had ~ and worked to death, every day ~ for years and years. I think he has a Makita 4"? Since for ever! He's a Plumber who's also well into welding. Solar panels. Black Smithing! He must give that grinder hell!

Me? I treat them like babies. They fart smoke in my face and die :( I swear to god; I'm not sure I'll Ever buy a 4" grinder again. It'd be Einstein's definition of Insanity!

No. I sent it for recycling. It had done a sh1tload of work and owed me nothing.

Interestingly, when I bought it, I was originally getting a Bosch for 50 punts. The lad behind the counter told me to get the Einhell because one item, in three years of carrying that range, came back with a problem. The company replaced it on the spot. He said if there was ever a problem with the Bosch, they'd fight it till the last and try and say the problem was at my end not theirs.
    That grinder did trojan work with 10 to 12 mm porcelain (very hard) tiles and never complained.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    If there was ever a problem with the Bosch, they'd fight it till the last and try and say the problem was at my end not theirs.

:eek: Identical to my own experience!

Exactly why the name of Bosch leaves a bad taste in my mouth, to this day!

Advertisement