Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

dubstarr wrote: »
    I dont like crisp sandwiches

Because you love them you mean?:D

My missus goes one step further - she refuses to make sambos with any potato products, no chip sambos, no stew sambos, no shepherds pie sambos - she's a fúcking freak!

I'm not even really a bread eater but those above are 3 of the most delicious things known to mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think non binary people hoping to be referred to by pronouns like 'they' and 'them' need to cop on to themselves.

Using such terms is grammatically incorrect, and using those terms to the rest of us binary folk might be considered quite rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think non binary people hoping to be referred to by pronouns like 'they' and 'them' need to cop on to themselves.

Using such terms is grammatically incorrect, and using those terms to the rest of us binary folk might be considered quite rude.

Original;)

(and pretty popular)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Original;)

I wouldn't say that in public or the workplace as my hand would be slapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

hardybuck wrote: »

The usage of 'they' as a singular pronoun is evolving and while it's still considered grammatically wrong by many, others including the OED accept its usage. It's not unusual for pronouns to have multiple meanings in some languages, e.g. Sie/sie in German can mean you singular or plural, she and they, and in three of those cases the accompanying verb conjugation is also the same.
    The New Oxford Dictionary of English (1998) not only accepts singular they, they also use the form in their definitions. And the New Oxford American Dictionary (Third Edition, 2010), calls singular they ‘generally accepted’ with indefinites, and ‘now common but less widely accepted’ with definite nouns, especially in formal contexts.
    https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Vita nova wrote: »
    The usage of 'they' as a singular pronoun is evolving and while it's still considered grammatically wrong by many, others including the OED accept its usage. It's not unusual for pronouns to have multiple meanings in some languages, e.g. Sie/sie in German can mean you singular or plural, she and they, and in three of those cases the accompanying verb conjugation is also the same.

Also:

"There is someone at the door, they have been waiting for ages"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have no problem with they or them - i refuse point blank to refer to anyone as ze, or zer or any of that bollox.

In any case, when i'm talking to someone i'll use their name, when i'm talking about them they won't know what pronouns i've used. It's largely just attention seeking bullshít IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Edit: Sambo is a racial slur. Always thought it was a blow in word too. It also doesn't make sense. How do you get sambo from sandwich? There's no O! (not directed at you, just in general)

You get Sambo from Sambwitch.
    This is the altogether correct pronunciation of the word, similar in vein to chimbley and fambily.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

The hard working and polite deli workers, most of them recently, foreigners (no issue with that ,honestly ) haven’t a clue as to how to make a breakfast roll (fry in a baguette)

“Do you want butter or sauce in that?” - or ? I want both damn you,lol

Many often, forget to put the pudding in, that’s a Cardinal sin .

And what is with those hash browns ? I know it’s now part and parcel , but what kind of monster thinks it is a good idea that they take priority over pudding

“Black or white pudding ?” Again, what do you mean or ? Both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The hard working and polite deli workers, most of them recently, foreigners (no issue with that ,honestly ) haven’t a clue as to how to make a breakfast roll (fry in a baguette)

And what is with those hash browns ? I know it’s now part and parcel , but what kind of monster thinks it is a good idea that they take priority over pudding

or people who ask if you want butter and think butter and cheap manky spread is the same thing.

I do have to ask is it proper butter and not spread, to let them know there is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

I think you need to go on a diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Its popular to be unpopular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Kylta wrote: »
    Its popular to be unpopular
    So many non unpopular opinions here.

People are mixing up negative opinion with unpopular opinion.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    So many non unpopular opinions here.

People are mixing up negative opinion with unpopular opinion.

The problem is many things are popular to think but due to snowflakes you cannot really say it due to people jumping down your throat.

for example when I say most fat people are lazy, and a burden on the health system, you get accused of fat shaming and the facts are ignored in place of peoples feelings.

Likewise if you say something about travelers and crime and you will be called racist, despite that being a very popular opinion.

Yes there will always be exceptions to the rules, but there will always be people ready to cry when they read something they do not like regardless if its the truth or not.

timhenn wrote: »
    I think you need to go on a diet.

I would suggest that that you stay in your lane chief. I have neither the time nor the patience to listen to what you or anyone thinks ,when it is based on absolutely no facts

Nowhere in my post does it suggest that the breakfast roll is a regular meal. No where does the post remotely indicate anyone’s lifestyle, be it one that is active or one that is a couch potato

Your box, return to thee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Self-isolating will kill more people in Ireland than that virus.

China has a lot to answer for , for the cause of many diseases that have broken out around the globe over the past 20 years .

I would suggest that that you stay in your lane chief. I have neither the time nor the patience to listen to what you or anyone thinks ,when it is based on absolutely no facts

Nowhere in my post does it suggest that the breakfast roll is a regular meal. No where does the post remotely indicate anyone’s lifestyle, be it one that is active or one that is a couch potato

Your box, return to thee

Touched a nerve huh? :D

People wearing face masks are wasting their time as the corona can enter the eyes.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Self-isolating will kill more people in Ireland than that virus.
    That's another thing on this thread - statements about what will happen with zero to back it up.
    timhenn wrote: »
    Touched a nerve huh? :D
    "Touched a nerve" implies that poster does need to go on a diet, which you have no evidence of. As they said, fit and healthy and slim people who exercise a lot can have the odd takeaway sandwich.

• Advertisement

China has a lot to answer for , for the cause of many diseases that have broken out around the globe over the past 20 years .
    People acting upset over it being called the Chinese virus or Wuhan flu are pathetic. That's where it damn well originated due to people's unsanitary practices.

Are they also upset about Kung-flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

China is North Korea with money

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

People acting upset over it being called the Chinese virus or Wuhan flu are pathetic. That's where it damn well originated due to people's unsanitary practices.

Trump is 100 % correct to label it the "Chinese virus"

Reminds people which country is responsible, China should foot the entire bill for this

If the Chinks were vegetarian this virus wouldn't exist.

That's another thing on this thread - statements about what will happen with zero to back it up.

"Touched a nerve" implies that poster does need to go on a diet, which you have no evidence of. As they said, fit and healthy and slim people who exercise a lot can have the odd takeaway sandwich.

In need of a few salads yourself? :pac:

Do you know what an unpopular opinion is.

I love salads actually. I don't love going around trying to get a rise out of people out of malice instead of actual debating.
    Kung-flu.
    I lolled at that.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Trump is 100 % correct to label it the "Chinese virus"

Reminds people which country is responsible, China should foot the entire bill for this
    It is actually sending aid to Italy. And Ireland.
    Do you know what an unpopular opinion is.
    An opinion isn't a statement of fact though.

the thread is about opinions not facts....the clue is in the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kung-flu.

That's kinda funny.
    The Chinks.

That's really not.

Advertisement