Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Irish people can be quite contemptible whining about not being able to go to the pub. Weak souls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

unpopular opinion : people will be going mad in cavan and tipp tonight because of the gaa, distancing out the window, public drinking, madness all round.

the media won't give half as much of a toss about it as last weeks tiny street drinking incident in Dublin , or about the young people in cork doing similar on Friday night. Nobody will care about it anywhere near as much as they should or blame those people when the pubs are still closed at Christmas.

'GAA Celibrations' are above criticism no matter what happens for silly reasons.

I think with the weekend they had RTE would be slow enough to waggle the finger at people not sticking to guidelines for a few days, they'll be back at in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

spook_cook wrote: »
    I don't care for Fairytale of New York.

It's fine, though it is flogged to death with overplaying. If I never heard it this Xmas it wouldn't worry me too much, in fact I'm avoiding Xmas music like the plague.

FTONY is only a thing here and uk, unheard of in most other countries outside of expat community.

Irish people can be quite contemptible whining about not being able to go to the pub. Weak souls

Grown adults shouting "oPen de PuBs" and roaring "grinch" at Tony H on social media.

Imagine if people had to put up with genuine hardship, like wondering where the next meal is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Grown adults shouting "oPen de PuBs" and roaring "grinch" at Tony H on social media.

Imagine if people had to put up with genuine hardship, like wondering where the next meal is coming from.

But what if people don't have to worry about there next meal and would like to go for a pint ?

It's ok for people to want something you do not ,

I don't care if the pubs never open again personally but that doesn't mean my view should be the standard or correct view,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

But what if people don't have to worry about there next meal and would like to go for a pint ?

I don't care if the pubs never open again personally but that doesn't mean my view should be the standard or correct view,

What about them? There’s a pandemic . It’s temporary (hopefully)

Lord knows why healthy unaffected people want to take risks of being cramped into a pub at Christmas (good luck with social distancing ,no matter the best intentions of publicans , are they really going to turn away regulars at Christmas ,just because they are over the Covid capacity limit ) and risk one or two selfish twats (Patrons) high on booze and angel dust and having zero regard for other people’s safety ?

Nothing stopping them from getting a nice bottle of wine or a few cans (widgets in the Guinness cans have been a joy) and have their session at home. Maybe even take the chance of inviting one or two like minded kindred spirits from another household and quietly engage in a social session at home (And hope the cops don’t knock at the door, they won’t)

Sure, if money is not an issue, one could convert the spare room ,shed or sitting room with some fitted taps just like any bar.

All houses Of a certain background should be judged on the quality of their bookcases and shelves stacked with fine whiskey, brandy and sherry

Ra ra ra

NO SANE PERSON is happy with the lockdowns.None. No one wants to see pubs go out of business . Pubs are not just about getting hammered in, as you know. Especially at Christmas , it’s a time to meet up with friends etc . I love St Stephens day because of it (and loads of sport like footie and horse racing )

However, there are risks and sorry, kids, but Irish people don’t really do common sense and deal with self discipline very well, as shown after the first lockdown . We saw what went on in “Engerland” too .

But the comments from people on social media who refuse to accept the bigger picture and reality and act like children when their mammy says no (examples highlighted by WG) is contemptible- especially the youth who have no qualms assaulting police officers but will be the same pos who will virtue signal on FB etc about how great the front line workers are (that includes cops)

Obviously, it sucks for the responsible folk who can do self discipline and have some cop on . It’s always the minority who ruin things for everyone - that’s why can’t have nice things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It wouldn't bother me either if the pubs never open again, I have other outlets.
    But I can see for many it is thier sole outlet. Many go for the purely social aspect on one side. On the other many go for the drink only mainly, and have a drink problem.

Those who cannot go to a pub without drinking. And treat going dry for month like it is some major event they deserve a medal for. Then make up for lost time by drinking more subsequently.

I often wonder which of these categories roar the loudest for the pubs to be open?
    Those who miss the social aspect of the pub?
    Or those who use the pub to justify thier levels of drinking?

Much harder to do the latter when drinking alone at home. Plus the former is gone.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

What about them? There’s a pandemic . It’s temporary (hopefully)

Lord knows why healthy unaffected people want to take risks of being cramped into a pub at Christmas (good luck with social distancing ,no matter the best intentions of publicans , are they really going to turn away regulars at Christmas ,just because they are over the Covid capacity limit ) and risk one or two selfish twats (Patrons) high on booze and angel dust and having zero regard for other people’s safety ?

Nothing stopping them from getting a nice bottle of wine or a few cans (widgets in the Guinness cans have been a joy) and have their session at home. Maybe even take the chance of inviting one or two like minded kindred spirits from another household and quietly engage in a social session at home (And hope the cops don’t knock at the door, they won’t)

Sure, if money is not an issue, one could convert the spare room ,shed or sitting room with some fitted taps just like any bar.

All houses Of a certain background should be judged on the quality of their bookcases and shelves stacked with fine whiskey, brandy and sherry

Ra ra ra

NO SANE PERSON is happy with the lockdowns.None. No one wants to see pubs go out of business . Pubs are not just about getting hammered in, as you know. Especially at Christmas , it’s a time to meet up with friends etc . I love St Stephens day because of it (and loads of sport like footie and horse racing )

However, there are risks and sorry, kids, but Irish people don’t really do common sense and deal with self discipline very well, as shown after the first lockdown . We saw what went on in “Engerland” too .

But the comments from people on social media who refuse to accept the bigger picture and reality and act like children when their mammy says no (examples highlighted by WG) is contemptible- especially the youth who have no qualms assaulting police officers but will be the same pos who will virtue signal on FB etc about how great the front line workers are (that includes cops)

Obviously, it sucks for the responsible folk who can do self discipline and have some cop on . It’s always the minority who ruin things for everyone - that’s why can’t have nice things

What in the world has someone wanting to go to a pub in Ireland got to do with someone assaulting a police Officer ( we don't have them in Ireland) or angel dust .

If someone has a different opinion than you or me who care's

I'd like to go for a pint, I miss the pub.

But I understand why a decision was taken to close like a grown up should, I'm not crying and stamping my feet like a toddler who cannot understand why he can't get his way all of the time.

There are worse things in life than being deprived of a pint. People should man or woman-up and get on with it.

I'd like to go for a pint, I miss the pub.

But I understand why a decision was taken to close like a grown up should, I'm not crying and stamping my feet like a toddler who cannot understand why he can't get his way all of the time.

There are worse things in life than being deprived of a pint. People should man or woman-up and get on with it.

You did not say someone had cried and stamped there feet, you said someone posted a comment on social media, what's the big deal isn't it what comment section is for ?

I'm sure they are getting on with it while also having the view they would like a pint ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Won't be the pub anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Heard a radio piece today about money appeal for Romanian orphanages.

Now I know its a decent thing to raise money for, and us Irish have a long history with Romanian orphans, but Romania isn't some underdeveloped African country. Surely its a modern European country? No?

They should be embarrassed that another European country is having appeals to fund their orphanages.

It's nowhere near as wealthy as Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

NIMAN wrote: »
    Heard a radio piece today about money appeal for Romanian orphanages.

Now I know its a decent thing to raise money for, and us Irish have a long history with Romanian orphans, but Romania isn't some underdeveloped African country. Surely its a modern European country? No?

They should be embarrassed that another European country is having appeals to fund their orphanages.

Just another ego tripping Irish buzz and their saving the world..

Place is full of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Student nurses should stop the whinging and get on with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

There has been a lot of advantages to the corona virus.

I would imagine with most people at home breaking and entering is down, people assaulted or spiked in pubs, less road rage due to less traffic.
    Getting more than my moneys worth of Netflix.
    Getting to see more live darts on tv due to more time at home.

Garden has never looked better.
    Shed is completely sorted
    dog gets more walks
    More time with my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

Student nurses should stop the whinging and get on with it

Some of the most entitled of all of the public sector, and that's saying something!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would imagine with most people at home breaking and entering is down, people assaulted or spiked in pubs, less road rage due to less traffic.

dog gets more walks
    More time with my wife.

And Community spirit is a lot better now I think . We all bonded again around here .Covid did that for us

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Unpopular opinion - they should have kept shops selling toys, gifts and anything else ‘christmas wise’ closed on mondays-thursdays.

Traffic has been abysmal and the standard of driving gas gotten worse since they re opened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

dog gets more walks
    More time with my wife.

True but the bad things from this are a hell of a lot worse. I know people in America (my mothers friends) who have been evicted and are homeless, not on the street but if they had no friends/family, they'd be going to a homeless accomodation.

The mental health impact has been a disaster. Again, I know two people that have taken their life, someone from my former school and my neighbour. It's the talk of the neighbourhood and hasn't been confirmed but there was ambulance at the houses and my neighbours wife was crying hysterically. She also doesn't speak much at all to us anyore.

I suppose the only good is that stocks are lower and you can buy.

YouTube is adapting KNEEJERK REACTION "Protection" in dealing with rising levels of Trolling Abuse / Hate Speech on the platform

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Online shopping for brand name clothing is the vast majority of time more expensive than the same stuff sold in bricks and mortar shops. It's baffling how many people don't realise this.

At the lifting of the first lockdown in May shops were all but giving away clothes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

The mental health impact has been a disaster. Again, I know two people that have taken their life, someone from my former school and my neighbour. It's the talk of the neighbourhood and hasn't been confirmed but there was ambulance at the houses and my neighbours wife was crying hysterically. She also doesn't speak much at all to us anyore.

I don't want to pry Sir but would these people have been suffering from mental problems in any event regardless of the virus? Did they have a financial crisis due to the lockdowns?

Its hard to know whether these situations came about because of the virus or if they'd have happened anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

YouTube is adapting KNEEJERK REACTION "Protection" in dealing with rising levels of Trolling Abuse / Hate Speech on the platform

I've been on Youtube since I think the beginning, feels like the best part of 20 years, with the same account. Must've made thousands, perhaps 10's of thousands of comments, during that time. Last week I made a joke under a Bill Maher clip (Maher was joking of a Trump coup) of what a Trump coup would look like, barely 3 sentences long. A couple of hours later I try to log in to see I've been banned.

Thought it was a mistake and told them to look at it again as it was clearly satire under a satirical video but no, they say I'm banned for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Queen's performance at Live Aid was totally overrated.

They went on banged out 20 mins in the usual Queen manner- why the big hard on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Well, they came on when the crowd was getting a bit fatigued and played a near note perfect set of crowd pleasers in an era without in-ear monitors or soundboard autotuning. They were experienced stadium rockers and that experience showed. Most of the other acts couldn't compete with them. U2 could maybe have been the stars of the show had Bono not decided to go AWOL for 5 minutes just as they were cruising.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Now hold on a fcukin minute

The Playstation console franchise is the saving grace for SONY corporation in this day and age.

SONY doesn't give a sh!t about the lack of educational value of any of its products today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

because

1. Freddie being gay always ticks some box
    2. He is brown bread...people love to make out pop starts were some sort of heroes or role models, and when you are dead, it magnifies

3. with the film that came out it the in thing to do to get onboard with the faux grief and adulation of those undeserving.

Like when people go on about the so called great kurt cobain.

to me he was just a prik, druggy user selfish b@astard who showed zero thought for his kid.
    Had money, youth, a kid and threw it away, whilst tragic, he is to be pitied not adored,

look how people cried over diana's car crash as if they knew the woman.
    People can be so like sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

djr15 wrote: »
    If the kids were born and raised in England they are without question, English.

I can assure you that's not how a lot of English people would see them.

Many English people regard English (and even British) as an ethnicity, just how many Irish people see Irish.

2nd generation people are often regarded as Irish to people in England.

Advertisement