Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which protein powder brand & flavour makes you want to vomit least?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Relative- I can afford it.:D

As I said above, I would much rather pay extra for 90% upwards protein than some well known market brands with anything from 29% to 80% protein which is then bulked out with carbs, sugars and God only knows what else.

What do you think the benefit is for 92% precent isolate, over say concentrate with 85%.
    The extra protein can be made up with a bigger scoop. Protein powder wouldn't be bulked out with carbs.
    And when you mix it with water it's no longer 92% btw. It becomes 11-12%. Virtually the same as the concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I was talking about the recovery - carbs for glycogen replenishment, protein for muscle repair - part of the same process based on what I've read and heard.

Well yes. I was just confining my post to my use of whey protein for repair rather than carb/glycogen replenishment.

Mellor wrote: »
    What do you think the benefit is for 92% precent isolate, over say concentrate with 85%.

I have to admit I have never used anything else- if I want just pure protein then I don't really need to try any other brands especially when it has all sorts of other stuff I don't need. The experienced sports nutritionist that I was with works with Premier League footballers and athletes so I am happy to be guided by his recommendations and advice.
    The extra protein can be made up with a bigger scoop. Protein powder wouldn't be bulked out with carbs.

No not at all. Increasing the dosage does not increase the concentration of protein in the powder. Yes, if you increase your intake of powder then you increase your intake your protein but you are not increasing the level of protein in the scope.

For example, let's say you take 100g of whey protein per day and your brand is 40% protein. That is 40g of protein. Now to get up to say 80g of protein you will have to double the intake to 200g of powder (**** that..)

The protein is not itself bulked out but the overall product you are buying is bulked out with carbs and sugars- now that's fine if that is what you want.
    And when you mix it with water it's no longer 92% btw. It becomes 11-12%. Virtually the same as the concentrate.

The overall drink consists of say, 11-12% proteins if you add say, 500ml water (obviously using rough figures). That is not the same as the actual powder reducing down to 11-12%. The powder is still 92% whey protein.

Think about it. If that were the case then a brand with 30% protein with 500ml whittles down to virtually nothing with that calculation.

All I am doing is replying to the title of the Thread and what I use. I am not here to say everyone else is wrong and I'm right. Just my contribution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just have plain soy isolate with water, tastes fine. Actually quite enjoy it when I'm hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No not at all. Increasing the dosage does not increase the concentration of protein in the powder. Yes, if you increase your intake of powder then you increase your intake your protein but you are not increasing the level of protein in the scope.
    The relevant factor is amount of protein in grams. Not the precent of protein in powder before you mixed it.

A shake
    For example, let's say you take 100g of whey protein per day and your brand is 40% protein. That is 40g of protein. Now to get up to say 80g of protein you will have to double the intake to 200g of powder (**** that..)
    Why are you talking about 40%. I said whey concentrate, which is 80-85%

Which means a 5-10% bigger scoop.
    The protein is not itself bulked out but the overall product you are buying is bulked out with carbs and sugars- now that's fine if that is what you want.

Nope. Whey concentrate is higher because it's refined less. The carbs are fats are residual from the milk. They aren't added.
    As somebody explained to you, you are confusing a protein powder with a mass gainer.

The overall drink consists of say, 11-12% proteins if you add say, 500ml water (obviously using rough figures). That is not the same as the actual powder reducing down to 11-12%. The powder is still 92% whey protein.
    Raw whey is 5%. It get refined to 90% for convience.
    when you mixed back with water, it back to 5-15%. It doesn't stay at 90%.

If you use 90%, and I use 80%. And we both mix up a drink that ends up at 12%. Then the two drinks are the same. The high protein ratio you started out is no longer relevant.
    Think about it. If that were the case then a brand with 30% protein with 500ml whittles down to virtually nothing with that calculation.
    30% would be a mass gainer not a protein powder.
    It probably has a scoop 3-4 times the size. So protein content is just as much or higher.
    All I am doing is replying to the title of the Thread and what I use. I am not here to say everyone else is wrong and I'm right. Just my contribution.
    That's cool. I'm just trying to correct some misconceptions.
    I used think that high ratio isolates were worth it too. until I though about it objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for all the input.

To avoid shipping charges, I went with two 5KG bags of Bulk Powders' Complete Mass (the nutritional information for which I posted already), chocolate cookies and strawberry flavour, the latter of which I just had with a tablespoon of chia seeds and I think tastes nicer than Myprotein. With the 35% discount, they worked out at €39 each, and at 135g per serving, that is 37 meals at €1.05 a pop.

I plan to have one immediately after working out/mid morning, and one for supper. I think 'real food' is probably better, but my current schedule is hectic, and I just cannot keep up with meal prepping for 5 meals a day right now. I also like that I can keep some of this powder in the boot of my car with some water, for when a day does not go as planned and I need to eat something.

What I did not go was this: Informed Mass

For the same discounted €39, you get a max of just a 3KG bag, which at 150g per serving is 20 servings, so €1.95 a pop.

There is 5g more protein, but some other differences - would it be worth the extra money for my next order?

My goals, are mainly strength, though I would like also if I got a bit bigger, I am around three months into Stronglifts 5 x 5 and ~82KG @ 5' 11".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I just have plain soy isolate with water, tastes fine. Actually quite enjoy it when I'm hungry.

You clearly just crawled out of Mordor or something.

A soy protein shake was literally one of the worst things I have ever had in my mouth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I dont mind the soya one with a few drops of the raspberry flavoue yoke but the banana fudge hydrobeef is still a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

bluewolf wrote: »
    I dont mind the soya one with a few drops of the raspberry flavoue yoke but the banana fudge hydrobeef is still a bit better

Oh god, brings back horrible memories of chocolate flavoured soya protein I got from H&B many years ago, uuuuurrrgh, tasted like a cross between a bad egg and vomit :(

What's hydrobeef ?????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zillah wrote: »
    You clearly just crawled out of Mordor or something.

A soy protein shake was literally one of the worst things I have ever had in my mouth.

I had the BP one and thought it was awful, had the MP one and that's grand to me, lovely. Pea on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bladespin wrote: »
    Oh god, brings back horrible memories of chocolate flavoured soya protein I got from H&B many years ago, uuuuurrrgh, tasted like a cross between a bad egg and vomit :(

What's hydrobeef ?????
    Yeah chocolate flavour anything can be dodgy

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/beef-protein-isolate-97-hydrobeef.html

Tar what's nicer about the mp one

No idea, I thought they'd just taste the same. I mean how different could they be?

I'll test out BP when I go home, just rmemebr how horrible it was then trying the MP one the next day and liking it. Although I used far less water so it's more like a thick smoothie with MP which could have made a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I had the BP one and thought it was awful, had the MP one and that's grand to me, lovely. Pea on the other hand...

I tried the MP one. It didn't even dissolve properly. You shake it really really hard to create a temporary suspension, but if it's left to settle for even a few seconds it starts to separate again.

shudder

We probably drink it differently. I just put it in a glass and stir to dissolve it with a spoon. Then down it goes. It tastes so bland that I can't imagine somebody having strong feelings about it.

Just had my daily 50g scoop of the whey isolate in 500ml with some vanilla Stevia. Can't say I enjoy it....(the gut does resist but it's grand and smooth once in the stomach.

The feckers on Amazon who say it's lovely are a lying shower of bastards.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah chocolate flavour anything can be dodgy

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/beef-protein-isolate-97-hydrobeef.html

Tar what's nicer about the mp one

Tried BP now and there wasn't much difference, I think the issue was I didn't like it when there was loads of water and it made a crap drink, but it was grand with just a cup of water mixed into a smoothie consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

I like My Protein Strawberry flavor. I even mix it with water, it doesn't taste bad at all. They also always have a sale on & you sometimes get an additional gift such as a shaker. It's handy, and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

The "premium blend of protein" is just one of protein powders. Which is maybe 1/3 of the mix. The other 2/3 is oats. Which cost about a euro.

Just buy the protein blend on its own and buy oats in Tesco.
    Zillah wrote: »
    MyProtein do huge 5KG bags of powdered oats for a pittance if that is what someone is after.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Myprotein Vanilla or Strawberry Cream. Their Chocolate Smooth is nice too, but the vanilla or strawberry are my "go to" options. I tend to have it mixed with yogurt or porridge (either hot or as overnight oats) rather than shakes.

I've actually built a bit of a collection of their flavour drops (normally used with natural yogurt) so next order I'm going to swap out strawberry cream for unflavoured and see how that works!

Not the cheapest option, but you could always try a sample box too. There's some nice flavours, but not enough to make me want a full bag!
    I presume you're trying to gain weight if you're looking at mass gainers, I used to only buy them too and never really saw results, what I do now is use 2 scoops of myproteins strawberry flavoured protein powder, 2 scoops of myprotein's instant oats and fill it with full fat milk, sometimes add coconut oil too for extra calories. Blend it up and it tastes pretty good to me. About 800cals or so in 650ml. I've seen more weight gain with that mix than any I did with mass gainers.

I like the idea of real food, or even what you guys have been suggesting about ordering just the protein next time and adding oats.

What I have been blending the last year or more instead of powder:

- 200g/ml of Dunnes Stores 0% fat natural yoghurt:

W5AsyEQ.jpg?1

- 200ml of Lidl low fat high protein milk:

xJUF9RK.jpg?1

- teaspoon of cacao powder, handful of walnuts, tablespoon of milled chia seeds, a banana, and some water.

So sometimes I added 50g or 100g of Lidl oats - but often I would get a pain in my stomach from this, I am guessing because the oats were ingested quickly and expanding in my stomach. Perhaps if I had blended for longer this would not happen? I would blend only for a few seconds to try and keep as much as the fibre as possible.

After dropping the oats, more recently I added a second banana.

The main reasons I started using the mass gainer / powder:

- I work and study, so my schedule is hectic, and not having to make a homemade shake AND also find various ways of eating a tin of tuna before bed - with pasta, cream, cheese, sweetcorn, etc. - is a relief.

- I could be gone from home from first thing in the morning until late at night, and even if I started making two shakes as I had been - they do not keep very well during the day

- I trust the ratio of carbs to protein etc is correct

- I can quickly have this while still on the gym floor immediately after training

Again, I prefer the idea of real food, or just ordering protein powder (instead of a gainer), but I need two meals of it to be convenient, and keep throughout the day, is there as way to do this, maybe by blending just protein powder with instant oats dry - no fruit, no milk, adding water to the shaker bottle just before I have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My overnight oats is a scoop of porridge, scoop of yogurt (normally 0% fat greek), scoop of milk, scoop of protein and a portion (80g) of frozen berries.

For my microwave porridge I do 1 scoop porridge, 2 scoops milk, 1 scoop water, and a portion of frozen berries, couple of minutes - stir - another couple of minutes, and then mix in the protein.

With the yogurt, I mix a scoop of whey with 100g of yogurt, and then add fruit and top it with cereal (muesli/ granola/ bran flakes/ corn flakes/ krispies - whatever!) just for a bit of crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

Ghost Vegan Protein - I find the vegan proteins are easier on my stomach, and I love the 'Peanut Butter Cereal Milk' flavour ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What's the consensus on the Bulk Powders Complete All-in-One?

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/complete-all-in-one.html

Per 100g

Energy kJ/Kcal...............1689/403

Fat...................................3.8g
    of which saturates.........2.5g

Carbohydrates...............34.1g
    of which sugars.............4.3g

Fibre................................Nil

Protein............................58.3g

Salt..................................0.5g

Glutamine Peptides........12.5g
    Creatine Monohydrate....8.3g
    Leucine............................8.3g

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What's the consensus on the Bulk Powders Complete All-in-One?

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/complete-all-in-one.html

Per 100g

Energy kJ/Kcal...............1689/403

Fat...................................3.8g
    of which saturates.........2.5g

Carbohydrates...............34.1g
    of which sugars.............4.3g

Fibre................................Nil

Protein............................58.3g

Salt..................................0.5g

Glutamine Peptides........12.5g
    Creatine Monohydrate....8.3g
    Leucine............................8.3g

It's just a supplement with a smaller protein content than a protein shake, some carbs, creatine, glutamine and leucine. The last two will add little (that's not to say leucine does nothing but here it will add little).

It's the same price as whey protein but servings are twice the size. Be better off buying protein and creatine imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the way you mix it might affect what you think about it. I had some at home I was using in cooking, tried it with milk but used a food mixer and just added in some vanilla drops and whisked it up, very tasty and a nice texture, it fluffed up a bit. if you are just shaking it in a bottle its going to be a bit lumpy maybe?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

yeah i found what made me go from hating the soy to it just being bland was mixing it well. I do that with a spoon.

yeah i found what made me go from hating the soy to it just being bland was mixing it well. I do that with a spoon.

On a slight tangent, I changed to soya milk in my porridge a few years ago. Took to it ok. Then one morning I had ran out so used full fat dairy.

I found it so sickly sweet and strange tasting I could barely eat it. In fact it was horrible. Soya milk all the way now in my porridge.

On a slight tangent, I changed to soya milk in my porridge a few years ago. Took to it ok. Then one morning I had ran out so used full fat dairy.

I found it so sickly sweet and strange tasting I could barely eat it. In fact it was horrible. Soya milk all the way now in my porridge.

When I first switched to soya I was so used to dairy milk that I didn't really like it. After a week or two I loved it. I guess we just like what we are used to in a lot of cases. I tried dairy milk after a few months and it felt horrible to me, thick and "phlegmy". Love most of the unsweetened alternatives now. Oat milk is great. For drinking oats while you eat your oats. Great for cappuccinos etc too.

Same kinda thing when I stopped eating all dairy, how would I ever give up cheese? After a while I didn't give a crap about it, at all. Tastebuds adapt very well, I eat so many wholefoods now that even fruit seems soooo sweet and I crave healthy foods like beans haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Hands down, Optimum Nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

mccard wrote: »
    Hands down, Optimum Nutrition.

Ye, the ON Gold Standard protein is definitely one of the nicer ones, but it's also more expensive than most :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

MyProtein Salted Caramel is the best I've had. It's not a strong taste, goes well in a blender with most things, especially banana & peanut butter.

Been trying overnight oats lately so will look to mix it in with that next and see how it turns out.

I've been going with

x2 scoops Oats
    x4 Milk
    x1 Greek Yogurt
    Some vanilla extract
    spoon of honey
    blueberries
    walnuts, pecan & milled flaxseed (add in the morning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ella_Watson

I like to have whey advanced protein powder in chocolate flavor from AOB Nutrition. It's been 3 months since I started using this protein powder along with joining my gym, and it's really effective and suits me like magic. I was very skinny before, and slowly but surely, I am gaining weight. It has boosted my confidence in my physical fitness. My gym trainer is very professional; he suggested this protein according to my body type, and it literally suits my body so well. I can recommend it to all who have started their gym journey, but I would suggest consulting a trainer so that they can recommend a protein that suits your body type. You can also check out many more protein supplements AOB nutrition online and discuss with your trainer. I hope my reply will help you.

Advertisement