Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just bought a Gen 1 leaf. First EV car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

obi604 wrote: »
    Ok. Right.
    Wonder if the car was not fully charged, would it allow me to disconnect. Again a 2011 leaf.

When you hit the unlatch button on the Type 1 plug it signals the car to stop charging immediately so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭obi604

samih wrote: »
    When you hit the unlatch button on the Type 1 plug it signals the car to stop charging immediately so yes.

thank you, so key thing is that the charging cable is easily steal-able for any opportunist thief :)

Hi

Me again with my 2011 Gen 1 leaf with 10 bars.
    I know the leaf does not like high speeds like 120 or even 100 on a motorway etc.

One thing ive noticed the last few days (via LeafSpy) , have done a few very short runs in last couple of days, barely above 50 kph. not heating on etc maybe 2km at a time

Today I did 7.4 km, status of charge at start was 91.2%, at the end was 76.6%. That equals 14.6% battery gone in 7.4 km, I thought the leaf would be way better in these circumstances and not use much battery at all.

On a previous occasion, , I did similar short journeys, nothing above 50 KPH. Did 17km and battery went from 95% to 67.5% 27.5% used for 17km.

I can do a 15km trip on regional roads and just use 14% battery

Does the leaf battery not like very short journeys or wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I will advise to use the battery level as a more realistic indicator.
    The GOS can be "guesstimatic" most of the time,especially on the motorways.

My L24 gives "hopeful readings" on GoM but i check only battery charge level and i set a ratio of 1% battery versus 1km drove.
    Whatever is put back on regenerative,is a bonus.

Have fun.

rolion wrote: »
    I will advise to use the battery level as a more realistic indicator.
    The GOS can be "guesstimatic" most of the time,especially on the motorways.

My L24 gives "hopeful readings" on GoM but i check only battery charge level and i set a ratio of 1% battery versus 1km drove.
    Whatever is put back on regenerative,is a bonus.

Have fun.

hi

all the readings above are done via leafspy, didnt even look at the GoM to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The SoC is not linear with km driven.
    Better test is to see how many kWh's are used for your drive.

KCross wrote: »

right, ok, wasnt aware of this.

But just high level, whatever way you look at it, is it strange that the battery would go down 27.5% for 17km ? (of slow driving not above 50 kph in ideal conditions with no heat or a/c on)

The Gen 1 LEAF has that hot water based heating system that heats up about a gallon of water with no way to switch it off. Could it be the effect of that you are seeing? I have no personal experience on the Gen 1 so could well be wrong but if you do multple short trips that sounds plausible.

You could try to preheat the car when plugged in to see if that makes any difference.

The Gen 1 LEAF has that hot water based heating system that heats up about a gallon of water with no way to switch it off. Could it be the effect of that you are seeing? I have no personal experience on the Gen 1 so could well be wrong but if you do multple short trips that sounds plausible.

You could try to preheat the car when plugged in to see if that makes any difference.

I didn't have any ac or heat on at this time, everything possible was turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The Gen 1 LEAF has that hot water based heating system that heats up about a gallon of water with no way to switch it off.

I had to do a double take if that was a troll post first!

Thats a new one samih. Whats that meant to be for... is that prepping for cabin heating or something?

• Advertisement

I had to do a double take if that was a troll post first!

Thats a new one samih. Whats that meant to be for... is that prepping for cabin heating or something?

The mk1 uses a heater matrix heating system and they have a heating element of several kilowatts powered from the traction pack that heats up several liters of water for it. If I remember it right the water gets heated up at the start of the journey regardless if the heating is actually on or off and uses fair whack of battery by doing so. There is a mod described at mynissanleaf.com or somewhere that allows using the fan only instead of heating up the water.

In mk1.5 the resistance heating system was redisigned to use direct heat instead of heating the vessel of water first so the resistive heater is both faster and uses less energy. Plus there is also a heatpump in most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

I have gen 1 and my daily commute is
    2km to childminder
    Then
    10km to work
    And at day end
    9km to home

I'm averaging 7km per KWh give or take. Am happy enough with that - mostly below 60Km/hr.

The initial trip to the childminder seems hard on the battery but I thought that may have been due to elevation. Perhaps it's due to the mentioned water heating.

Getting an external charger in this week so I'll try the pre-heat. My main concern is a noticeable drop in SOH so maybe the pre-heat might help that...

The mk1 uses a heater matrix heating system and they have a heating element of several kilowatts powered from the traction pack that heats up several liters of water for it. If I remember it right the water gets heated up at the start of the journey regardless if the heating is actually on or off and uses fair whack of battery by doing so. There is a mod described at mynissanleaf.com or somewhere that allows using the fan only instead of heating up the water.

In mk1.5 the resistance heating system was redisigned to use direct heat instead of heating the vessel of water first so the resistive heater is both faster and uses less energy. Plus there is also a heatpump in most of them.

so these small journeys of 2-3k at a time in ideal conditions (no heat or a/c on) at low speed may actually drain the battery a lot quicker than a standard continuous journey of of 20km on at 80/90/100 kph.

disappointing, I thought the Leaf thrived on these small journeys and you would barely notice any battery loss at all for a journey of 1-2 km, instead I am seeing a big loss in battery.

I copied this from a thread at mynissanleaf.com:

I remember the 2011 heater system. Hilariously complex, but efficient.

It consists of a completely separate coolant loop, but the "coolant" is rather used as "heatant" instead here. I think they just jimmied a standard Nissan HVAC system in there, one typically used for ICE engine cars.

In that coolant loop, there's:
    - its own reservoir
    - a heating element
    - its own pump
    - a heater core (goes to the vents) - and pretty much is immune to failure (it's just a dumb copper block!)
    - a valve to regulate flow through the heater core
    - a few sensors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hmmm,good one,never tought this way..thanks !

So, L24 with 10 bars and SOC at 80% will have 80% of 24Kw (max listed capacity) gives 19KW.
    Driving at 15KWh "consumption" gives 125Km range at fully charged.
    Kind of making sense,thanks ! ;)

so these small journeys of 2-3k at a time in ideal conditions (no heat or a/c on) at low speed may actually drain the battery a lot quicker than a standard continuous journey of of 20km on at 80/90/100 kph.

disappointing, I thought the Leaf thrived on these small journeys and you would barely notice any battery loss at all for a journey of 1-2 km, instead I am seeing a big loss in battery.

There is a way to modify the heating system to allow just ventilation instead of heating up the liquid. Thread here.

Plug and Play harness available to order from Norway for 270 NOK (approx. 27 EUR) including delivery to EU.

There is a way to modify the heating system to allow just ventilation instead of heating up the liquid. Thread here.

Plug and Play harness available to order from Norway for 270 NOK (approx. 27 EUR) including delivery to EU.

But the thing is I have no heating or a/c on at all.

But the thing is I have no heating or a/c on at all.

As I said I haven't personal experience on the mk1 so don't know how the system works in practice.

Does the energy monitor screen report any power usage for HVAC when you cast off?

As I said I haven't personal experience on the mk1 so don't know how the system works in practice.

Does the energy monitor screen report any power usage for HVAC when you cast off?

What is HVAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Heating - Ventilation - Air - Conditioning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning system of the car

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning system of the car

Ah ok. I checked status and all off.

Then in ‘energy consumption ‘ was not consuming anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

rolion wrote: »
    Hmmm,good one,never tought this way..thanks !

So, L24 with 10 bars and SOC at 80% will have 80% of 24Kw (max listed capacity) gives 19KW.
    Driving at 15KWh "consumption" gives 125Km range at fully charged.
    Kind of making sense,thanks ! ;)

Not quite, the usable capacity of the 24kWh battery is about 21.4kWh. So it would be 21.4 x 0.8 = 17.12 kWh.

Hi. So the gen 1.5 on these shorter journeys should not be as harsh on the battery as gen 1?

Hi. So the gen 1.5 on these shorter journeys should not be as harsh on the battery as gen 1?

As far as I know. But you said earlier that in your car the energy usage stays at 0 with everything switched off so it won't make any difference in practice.

Our previous 152 reg did well both on long or short trips with heater at Auto all the time as long as the car was preheated in cold days before unplugging. And as it had heatpump the heating didn't really use more than a few kilometers of range per charge so never saw any need to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

As far as I know. But you said earlier that in your car the energy usage stays at 0 with everything switched off so it won't make any difference in practice.

Our previous 152 reg did well both on long or short trips with heater at Auto all the time as long as the car was preheated in cold days before unplugging. And as it had heatpump the heating didn't really use more than a few kilometers of range per charge so never saw any need to switch it off.
    My 151 mk1.5 (I think!) struggles with heater on Auto on short routes. Significant difference in consumption...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Peter mx5

Hello I could do with some help with you.our 24kwh leaf has been deregistered by nissan and original owner removed we followed instructions given by nissan.registered ok got two emails to one to say sim card activated and carwings registration.we put details into car and nothing and still have grey car with axe through it.according to nissan the tech needs reset.we live in cork I rang Kevin o learns they said they don't do everything serving.i rang kearys cork three times but no answer.these are main dealers in cork lol.can anyone recommend how I can get reset done somewhere near cork or advise on how to get it working.below is part of email nissan sent.many thanks for help

I have removed any link to the previous owner of your vehicle. Please follow the instructions below to create a Carwings account and add your vehicle.

1. Create a Carwings account
    2. Complete onboard activation in vehicle
    3. Download and log into NissanConnect EV app
    4. If difficulties occur completing above steps, please provide requested information in this section

Below are instructions and guidance on how to complete these steps:

(1) Create Carwings account:

⦁ Go to http://cq5.prod.nissan.eu/IE/en/YouPlus.html to create a Carwings account
    ⦁ Complete details requested on each page and click button to go to next page
    ⦁ Please be aware that:
    ⦁ "Carwings Login" field is used as User ID for app and onboard activation
    ⦁ Please be aware that it is case sensitive
    ⦁ Terms and conditions must be accepted to set up a Carwings account
    ⦁ On page that asks for a "Vehicle Display Name", this can be anything you want
    ⦁ When Carwings account is created, page loads that says "Congratulations!"

(2) Complete onboard activation:

⦁ Wait for email confirming Carwings account has been activated
    ⦁ If no such email is received after an hour, ask us to check if SIM card is activated
    ⦁ Once email received or SIM card confirmed to be activated, then go to vehicle
    ⦁ Turn on navigation system and push "Zero Emission" button
    ⦁ Touch "Carwings"
    ⦁ Touch "Carwings Settings"
    ⦁ Touch "Security Settings"
    ⦁ Touch "User ID", enter User ID, and touch "OK"
    ⦁ User ID is Carwings Login
    ⦁ Remember User ID is case sensitive
    ⦁ Touch "Password", enter password, and touch "OK"
    ⦁ Password is also case sensitive
    ⦁ Touch "Activate Security Settings", confirm, and touch "Yes"

If you have difficulties completing onboard activation, please look at car icon in top right corner of navigation system:

⦁ Car icon should be white with signals coming out
    ⦁ This indicates vehicle has network coverage
    ⦁ If car icon is grey, vehicle in an area with no signal
    ⦁ Drive around until car icon is white with signals coming out
    ⦁ If car icon grey with line, strike, or axe through the it
    ⦁ TCU (Telematics Control Unit) not activated
    ⦁ Note if TCU not activated, vehicle cannot communicate to data centre
    ⦁ Contact your local Nissan dealership for a “TCU Reset” to activate TCU

Advertisement