Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Shiels

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Saw him act completely out of order in a restaurant few years ago (tantrum). Awful to staff. Was never a fan but after that no time for his bollixology.

I'm not surprised by that, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Agricola wrote: »
    BP Fallon, Brush and Indo "goss" columnist Barry Egan together recounting past glories. A form of torture not yet rivaled.

I don't know about that. What I do remember is some outdoor party about a mile and a half away and Brush Shiels must have sang Fields of Athenry for about an hour, we were loosing the will to live at the end. Didn't he buy a house out on the back road to Dunboyne at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Aw sh1te,was Brendan his real name??
    I’ve always Thought his first name was Basil and Brush was the obvious nickname :confused::D

There are various stories behind the “Brush” nickname, the one I’ve heard most is from his soccer days where he played a “sweeper” role.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

decky1 wrote: »
    was Rocky De Valara not with the Grave diggers?

I think it was the Gravediggers first then The Rhythm Kings. Could even have been the same band with a name change. So long ago I forget. One band member was the late Ritchie Taylor who later wrote for the irish version of the sun and other publications.

I saw them live in Kennedy's of Puckane a few times in the early 80s. Great crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Smiley Bolger was a promoter, right? He wasn’t in any “bands” or anything like that.
    He promoted Lir and where did that get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yeah, he used to be reeled out as music pundit on RTE throughout the 80s and 90s based on his association with Philo.

Another pundit was BP Fallon. Was Marc Bolan's manager. Probably had more legitimate claim to be a music pundit. He used to refer to people as cats and was very strange looking and very well spoken. Had a show on 2fm I think, once a week where he would interview famous crazy cats from the music industry.

I wonder is brush still trying to sue Skid Row. Encountered bp a bunch of occasions at various backstage scenarios I was young; he was more than old enough to know better. He somehow managed to get that jack white fella to produce an entire album of ramblings by him! Because he’s such a charismatic eccentric, or something. Real groovy cat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭dasdog

This is how your career ends up when you ask Phil Lynott to leave your band.

Remember having to put up with this chancers audio bollocks before Ireland's football games. God it's beyond dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Masterful deployment of the tremolo bar after two minutes. Some people just abuse it like it’s their wang

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The comparisons with others made me chuckle because its so true.

Brush Shiels, BP Fallon and Smiley Bolger are like this interchangeable fug of Irish establishment musos from your childhood that you're not quite sure exactly what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Smiley - inexplicably on a Sunday morning pop show for kids. Couldn't stand when he was on (although the OP's rage is a bit OTT!)

Beep - not a fan of his schtick. A bit arrogant too. He presents occasionally on Today FM though, and his show is class in fairness

• Advertisement

Brush Shiels, BP Fallon and Smiley Bolger are like this interchangeable fug of Irish establishment musos from your childhood that you're not quite sure exactly what they did.

Ah, now, I think that’s pretty harsh on Shiels and, possibly, a little harsh on Fallon.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

He was originally nicknamed 'Brush' due to being employed as a painter and decorator with Dublin Corporation prior to launching his rock career.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dasdog wrote: »
    Remember having to put up with this chancers audio bollocks before Ireland's football games. God it's beyond dreadful.

wah :confused: elaborate please

He made a music video in the 1980s with Geldof, de Burgh, and U2 called Bands Against Drugs.

fryup wrote: »
    wah :confused: elaborate please

They used to wheel him out before, or during half time, soccer, GAA and rugby matches to sing “The Fields of Athenry”.

It would just be him, a microphone, his leather jacket and his beret doing overhead claps and shouting “C’mon!” in between lines of the song.

Not great. Really not great.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ah Self Aid.
    Probably the bleakest day in irish history.

80’s Ireland was a grim place

The comparisons with others made me chuckle because its so true.

In my mind, I’d also include guggi and Gavin Friday in that cabal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Guggi, now there's an enigma, looks like something that was dragged sideways out of a skip, claims to be an artist but has never produced anything of any regard.

Also, he was trending on Twitter earlier for the most bizarre of reasons

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9748435/bradley-cooper-romantic-getaway-lady-gaga-mistaken-identity/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=sunshowbiztwitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1566163893

ECUiZpNW4AAvqjJ?format=png&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

There was a poster on the old metalireland forum that used to post as Brush "How r ya lads, me hobbies include beret collecting, anecdote telling, turning songs into medleys". V funny.

Those vids of him on YouTube calling out Sebastian Bach for stealing the name Skid Row are also pretty special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Virgin Prunes did some excellent stuff to be fair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Go way outa that. The Virgin Prunes are legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I always thought Guggi was a bit of a pr1ck until I met him at a mutual friend's mother's funeral. He seemed humbled that I recognised him. We hasd 10 or 15 minutes of a chat and he came across as sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

About 15 years ago when I was a wedding DJ, I played after him and his band. Really sound bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

That's enough of that please more cringe stories instead thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

vriesmays wrote: »
    He promoted Lir and where did that get them.

Jaysus they were a great band back in the day. Very talented musicians.

Except for the keyboard player, right twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

secman wrote: »
    Brush played for a while with Bohemians FC , his brother Mo Shiels played for St Patricks Athletic FC.

I remember Brush told the story of how he finished with football.

He went to training with Bohs, and some guy came in with a blackboard and started drawing formations and set pieces on it.

Tactics weren't for Brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Smiley Bolger used to live around the corner for me when I was young. In the 90s, I was in a grindcore band (noisy and completely talentless). We had a gig one night in the Earl Grattan in Capel Street. Met him on the road one day and jokingly told him to drop by. He actually did, and gave us a mention on The Beatbox the next day, which if you're 17 and it's the 90s, was pretty cool.

BP Fallon inexplicably appears at the beginning of this Dead Weather video (one of Jack White from the White Stripes other bands)

Used to hang around with a guy who's dad (Bernard Cheevers) was in Skid Row with Brush Shiels.

Advertisement