Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Shiels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

vicwatson wrote: »
    He must have fallen out with Duffy, never on whineline these days

I don't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Your thinking of smiley bulger

Brush shields career was more or less over by the early nineties, never recall him on the beat box

I have vague memories of him being on and having a row with Bulger about a Philo gig he had organised.
    It descended into petty insults with Bulger insisting on calling him Brendan instead of Brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

He developed as a more virulent strain of the Smiley Bolger.

Smiley Bolger!! i saw him get into a terrible row with 2 prostitutes outside barry's hotel one night in the mid- nineties. back then Barry's was one of a limited number of places you could get a late night drink mid week (the postal workers drank there). we were trying to get in when smiley and the whores came tumbling out of the side door of the hotel, fighting and shouting, the pros were laying into poor smiley but he was giving as good as he got, they out-numbered him though so he had to beat a retreat.

it was unclear exactly what the row was about although money seemed to be at the core of it.

anyway all the commotion meant there was no way we were getting in so we had to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

farmchoice wrote: »
    Smiley Bolger!! i saw him get into a terrible row with 2 prostitutes outside barry's hotel one night in the mid- nineties. back then Barry's was one of a limited number of places you could get a late night drink mid week (the postal workers drank there). we were trying to get in when smiley and the whores came tumbling out of the side door of the hotel, fighting and shouting, the pros were laying into poor smiley but he was giving as good as he got, they out-numbered him though so he had to beat a retreat.

it was unclear exactly what the row was about although money seemed to be at the core of it.

anyway all the commotion meant there was no way we were getting in so we had to go home

Must have been there doing a review of Mick Flavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do people really remember and ruminate about obscure minor musicians and minor RTE types who haven't been on the telly for 20 or more years!!!.

It's fascinating what some are obsessed with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

All I remember about Smiley Bolger was the he looked like he'd escaped from Jim Hensons Workshop bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

mariaalice wrote: »
    Do people really remember and ruminate about obscure minor musicians and minor RTE types who haven't been on the telly for 20 or more years!!!.

It's fascinating what some are obsessed with.

Do people really bother to interject themselves and criticise people for reminiscing and ruminating about 80s RTE regularly fêted charachters?

BP got a bit of a kicking one night IIRC? Crather is about 50kg soaking wet i reckon.

Do people really bother to interject themselves and criticise people for reminiscing and ruminating about 80s RTE regularly fêted charachters?

BP got a bit of a kicking one night IIRC? Crather is about 50kg soaking wet i reckon.

A come on, a poster starts a thread about trowing potatoes at a very minor musician/ vaguely RTE type that has not been heard about in years most likey the poster was drunk or high or both, the thread was not about Ryan Tubridy or Pat Kenny or even Joe or any of the current suspects would you not find that a little bit fascinating.

A come on, a poster starts a thread about trowing potatoes at a very minor musician/ vaguely RTE type that has not been heard about in years most likey the poster was drunk or high or both, the thread was not about Ryan Tubridy or Pat Kenny or even Joe or any of the current suspects would you not find that a little bit fascinating.

You couldnt turn on RTE 1 or 2 any night of the week without one or more of those fcukers being on.

Hadnt given a thought to any of them in 20 years or more! Nice to reminisce when all we had were potatoes to throw. Now OP would be throwing a smashed avacado on sour bread

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I remember a tv interview, might have been the Late,Late with Shiels and he came across as all self-important as if he was the big star and Phil Lynott was the minnion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

enricoh wrote: »
    Rock n roll man! Saw him a couple of days ago on telly, a phil lynott tribute programme.
    Didnt know phil n him were in the same band in the early years.
    He's still no oil painting, i can confirm for ya! A belt of a spud might have helped in that department!
    Yeah, I heard he ended up in skid row for a while ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Alot of people made a career out of their aquaintance, passing or deep , with Phil Lynott.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah I liked Brush back in the day, haven't heard of him in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dammit!
    I thought that the thread was going to be about:

Brooke-Shields-looked-gorgeous-in-a-blue-gown-as-she-attended-the-Hallmark-Channel-Winter-2016-Television-Critics-Association-Press-Tour-Party-January-2016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He played to 82,000 people as recently as this decade.

Did a few songs on the pitch at halftime of an All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I remember the 2013 All Ireland hurling final and Paddy Casey sang his heart out with a choir and all, after the performance the half empty stadium (the other half were in a queue somewhere) just sat there with a sprinkling of underwhelmed applause breaking out. Poor Paddy was none too plussed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The reason Philo was so damn good in the first place it would seem is the fuhking EEEVERYONE taught him how to play.

The last one I heard was Alec Finn, he of De Danann, when Philo crashed in his place back in the day.

I might make up my own 'teaching Philo' story for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Surprised Brush isn't more popular, he does pub rock versions of Irish tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

I think the OP might be referring to Smiley Bolger on the Den.
    I think Brush told Gaybo on the late late that he didnt drink.
    I had bought a copy of Brush's Hey Mr Diabolo single and loved it and was surprised Brush wasn't living the rock and roll lifestyle.
    I met him at a Rhythm Kings lunchtime gig in the Peacock in or around 1982/83 and he seemed like a nice guy.
    I was about 13 and in awe of meeting my first rock star, I met Rocky De Valera at the same gig so all in all its a treasured childhood memory.

I think the OP might be referring to Smiley Bolger on the Den.
    I think Brush told Gaybo on the late late that he didnt drink.
    I had bought a copy of Brush's Hey Mr Diabolo single and loved it and was surprised Brush wasn't living the rock and roll lifestyle.
    I met him at a Rhythm Kings lunchtime gig in the Peacock in or around 1982/83 and he seemed like a nice guy.
    I was about 13 and in awe of meeting my first rock star, I met Rocky De Valera at the same gig so all in all its a treasured childhood memory.

Apropos of nothing at all, but I met my frist husband at a Rocky develara and the rhythm king gig, Auto de fe was playing as well.

• Advertisement

Smiley must be over 100 by now.
    He's ancient back in 99. Ian Dempsey is about 13...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

I must apologise. You are all right. It was Smiley Bolger I was flinging those potatoes at, not Shiels.

AND it was Smiley Bolger who ruined every Sunday morning with his big ugly pock-marked face, greasy kebab hair, hungover to hell, talking about Vibe for Philo, boring the bejesus out of everyone.

Brush Shiels was a cnt too, though, though not as abhorrent as Bolger.

Smiley Bolger.....a pox on him. One of the ugliest people ever to appear on television, inside and out.

I'll never forget that day I almost took him out on Portobello Bridge. By jaysus, he was fuming as those spuds whizzed past his misshapen head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I must apologise. You are all right. It was Smiley Bolger I was flinging those potatoes at, not Shiels.

AND it was Smiley Bolger who ruined every Sunday morning with his big ugly pock-marked face, greasy kebab hair, hungover to hell, talking about Vibe for Philo, boring the bejesus out of everyone.

Brush Shiels was a cnt too, though, though not as abhorrent as Bolger.

Smiley Bolger.....a pox on him. One of the ugliest people ever to appear on television, inside and out.

Both were professional hangers on but while shields was spar, bolger was a market stall at the ballinasloe horse fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Smiley Bolger was a promoter, right? He wasn’t in any “bands” or anything like that.

I do remember him being on “Dempsey’s Den” a fair bit and there was a rumour that he was the voice of Dustin the Turkey but that proved to be erroneous.

Brush made some good music with “Skid Row, check out the song ‘Mar’ from their “34 Hours” album for an example of this.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    BP fallon hung out with every one in rock n roll at some stage or at least claims to have, he claims to have had the job of testing page and plants weed, might be a pile of crap but who cares

A space cadet but you need those kind of cats, rare breed nowadays

Groovy as beep would say

Groovy!

As I said in an earlier post, he's like a time traveller from the aftermath of some debauched aftershow party in the early '70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Apropos of nothing at all, but I met my frist husband at a Rocky develara and the rhythm king gig, Auto de fe was playing as well.

was Rocky De Valara not with the Grave diggers?

Mods

Need thread title change. Its Bulger, the Shields the target if OP's Pipers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I have vague memories of him being on and having a row with Bulger about a Philo gig he had organised.
    It descended into petty insults with Bulger insisting on calling him Brendan instead of Brush.

Aw sh1te,was Brendan his real name??
    I’ve always Thought his first name was Basil and Brush was the obvious nickname :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Aw sh1te,was Brendan his real name??
    I’ve always Thought his first name was Basil and Brush was the obvious nickname :confused::D

BOOM BOOM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Groovy!

As I said in an earlier post, he's like a time traveller from the aftermath of some debauched aftershow party in the early '70s.

Saw him act completely out of order in a restaurant few years ago (tantrum). Awful to staff. Was never a fan but after that no time for his bollixology.

Advertisement