Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Nah, it was always my plan.The country will have more freedom than the sh*thole you currently reside in.

Doesnt it have one of the highest prison populations in the world? Dont smoke near a public building or put beer you buy in the passenger seat or you may be arrested. I hope for your sake you're not black either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Did you read my post? I wasn’t talking about the government. I’m talking about your little cult angry kid friends.

By us voting for political parties with green policies, we the people are dictating to you what you can and can't do. You will have to suck it up until you go to the USA in 10 years, drive around in a petrol car and pat yourself in the back that all the people in that ****hole didn't dictate to you what you can and can't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Doesnt it have one of the highest prison populations in the world? Dont smoke near a public building or put beer you buy in the passenger seat or you may be arrested. I hope for your sake you're not black either.

One of the largest and most diverse countries in the world and all you can think of is 4 negatives, Christ what a vacuous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You’re talking crap now. I travel to the usa 2/3 times a year for the last 14 years. Do a bit of research before you post rubbish. It’s illegal to have an open alcohol container when driving ( which i never do), i don’t smoke either. Nah i’m not black either.

One of the largest and most diverse countries in the world and all you can think of is 4 negatives, Christ what a vacuous post.

A response to him saying it was a much freer counrtry than here. Keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Until the elephant in the room is addressed its all pointless -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/07/africa-birth-control-global-population-crisis

Take say Uganda. In 1960 it was an Ireland in terms of numbers 6.7 million, today its over 42 million. Thats repeated throughout the developing World.

It's ridiculous. Every human being having children (myself) is damaging the planet as well.

From that article:
    Yet very little of the burning of fossil fuels that has triggered this climate crisis occurred in Africa. It took place in the west, whose industrial emissions are a key cause of global heating. It is a fact we should remember when millions of climate refugees from scorched and overpopulated nations seek salvation on our shores.

The increasing population of Uganda is not an excuse to keep burning fossil fuels in Ireland.

While population growth is a problem, it's tends to balance out as countries develop and as contraception and sex education become more prevalent. Indeed the trend is downwards in some fully developed countries like Germany and Japan as people aren't having enough kids to maintain existing numbers - this is something that has been happening naturally without much need for intervention (in fact the opposite is needed as immigration needs to be encouraged to service the ageing population)

If everyone was consuming 50% less (and Ugandans currently have a carbon footprint of less than 1% of Irish people), then the population of the planet could double without impacting the environment any more than it currently is. So while population is not a non-issue, it's not the area where most drastic action is needed right now.

He/she shouldn’t even be posting on here. The person is clueless. He/she has never owned a car, work is just up the road and he/she doesn’t eat red meat. So i guess it’s easy to preach about climate change.

Yeah 2 cent a litre on fuel lol

Its ~7c per litre.

A response to him saying it was a much freer counrtry than him. Keep up.

Can you repeat your point but type slower.

He/she shouldn’t even be posting on here. The person is clueless. He/she has never owned a car, work is just up the road and he/she doesn’t eat red meat. So i guess it’s easy to preach about climate change.

I live in dublin and work in the centre. Its about 9k away. Is that so unusual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You’re talking crap now. I travel to the usa 2/3 times a year for the last 14 years. Do a bit of research before you post rubbish. It’s illegal to have an open alcohol container when driving ( which i never do), i don’t smoke either. Nah i’m not black either.

I'm living there at the moment.
    Hope you've factored in health insurance.

easypazz wrote: »
    Its ~7c per litre.

Fuel only rose 2 cent in the carbon budget so where you getting 7 cent?

I'm living there at the moment.
    Hope you've factored in health insurance.

I have factored everything in.

I have factored everything in.

Why are you still in this ****hole so?

I live in dublin and work in the centre. Its about 9k away. Is that so unusual?

I thought as much you lived in Dublin. You should take a spin out of Dublin ( i’m guessing you never been out of Dublin) and have a look at rural life where people depend on cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Now that the messiah has made landfall in Portugal I wish the captain of the vessel that was flown out to the states to pick her up well on his flight back to England.

Why are you still in this ****hole so?

I have a lot of work on here at the moment.

I thought as much you lived in Dublin. You should take a spin out of Dublin ( i’m guessing you never been out of Dublin) and have a look at rural life where people depend on cars etc.

You depend on cars because you are idiots with your brainless planning.

By us voting for political parties with green policies, we the people are dictating to you what you can and can't do. You will have to suck it up until you go to the USA in 10 years, drive around in a petrol car and pat yourself in the back that all the people in that ****hole didn't dictate to you what you can and can't do.

So you are falling for the green policies governments are spouting? I mean 2 cent a litre on fuel? Wow that’s going change the climate. So 80 euro per ton by 2030? That’s about 20 is cent a litre on fuel so when you take inflation, wage increases it will hardly be noticable.

I didn’t hear anything about flight travel being targetted either. It won’t be touched because it’s big business, so suck that up.

Lol, totally clueless and not in tune at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

quokula wrote: »
    From that article:
    The increasing population of Uganda is not an excuse to keep burning fossil fuels in Ireland.

While population growth is a problem, it's tends to balance out as countries develop and as contraception and sex education become more prevalent. Indeed the trend is downwards in some fully developed countries like Germany and Japan as people aren't having enough kids to maintain existing numbers - this is something that has been happening naturally without much need for intervention (in fact the opposite is needed as immigration needs to be encouraged to service the ageing population)
    If everyone was consuming 50% less (and Ugandans currently have a carbon footprint of less than 1% of Irish people), then the population of the planet could double without impacting the environment any more than it currently is. So while population is not a non-issue, it's not the area where most drastic action is needed right now.

It does seem trendy atm for those living in western countries to flagilate themselves as being the villains of the universe. The fact is that China - is the single biggest polluter and emitter of green house gases and per capita have greater emissions than the EU average. And that's just one example. Certainly we can consume less it doesnt mean we dont have any less very real issues with overpopulation globally.

The current issue with population - while it may be declining in many developed countries - in other areas population increase is out of control. And the problem is that for every increase in population there is an ever increasing problems of consumption, pollution and available resources. So yes overpopulation remains a very real problem on this planet right now. Funny though no one seems to want to talk about it ...

gosh

i thought we were making progress itt

we had agreed, i think, that greta as a phenomenon is a rather transparent stunt, and anyone serious about engaging the masses about the necessary changes would decry it as such, because it is never a good look to lecture the sinning majority using a manufactured unquestionable figurehead answering to no accepted representative body.

only speaking for meself, ill repeat- and its there since early on in the thread, if i recall- that im happy for the govt of the day to ringfence funding, engage in research, tax if necessary to change behaviours etc in order to do our part for the environment.

wheres the problem?

using devotion to greta as a test against your fellow citizens is a misguided, incorrect and -most importantly- counterproductive tactic.

it makes those inflexible enough to accept that someone sceptical of the greta media scrum can nevertheless be anything but a ""denier"" look like .... honestly, like a fanatic

and fanatics are never the good guys, regardless of the causes they wear at the time.

check your history.

What???

So you are falling for the green policies governments are spouting? I mean 2 cent a litre on fuel? Wow that’s going change the climate. So 80 euro per ton by 2030? That’s about 20 is cent a litre on fuel so when you take inflation, wage increases it will hardly be noticable.

I didn’t hear anything about flight travel being targetted either. It won’t be touched because it’s big business, so suck that up.

Its a lot more that just carbon tax on motor fuel.

By 2025 all new cars are supposed to be electric, I expect this to slip but it will happen at a later date

Electricity for your home costs more because renewable supplies cost more.

Government policy is dictating to you on many levels what you can and can't do in relation to carbon taxes.

But you won't be dictated to because you are leaving this ****hole in 10 years time.

Its a lot more that just carbon tax on motor fuel.

By 2025 all new cars are supposed to be electric, I expect this to slip but it will happen at a later date

Electricity for your home costs more because renewable supplies cost more.

Government policy is dictating to you on many levels what you can and can't do in relation to carbon taxes.

But you won't be dictated to because you are leaving this ****hole in 10 years time.
    Governments dictate from the begining of time.

There’s lots of reasons why i like to move so why have you a problem with it? Why do you keep bringing it up? Are you saying i should be dictated and not allowed to do it?

Btw it will be interesting to see how many electric cars will be around by 2030, might not be as much as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Should we all have got a council house in Dublin like yourself?

Should we all have got a council house in Dublin like yourself?

Yes, its far more carbon efficient to live in communities rather than one off car depenedant housing

Yes, its far more carbon efficient to live in communities rather than one off car depenedant housing

Did you see the traffic in Dublin? I don’t hear many politicians proposing a huge congestion charge up there. I wonder why.

Governments dictate from the begining of time.

There’s lots of reasons why i like to move so why have you a problem with it? Why do you keep bringing it up? Are you saying i should be dictated and not allowed to do it?

Btw it will be interesting to see how many electric cars will be around by 2030, might not be as much as you think.

I just find it strange that you are slagging this place off as being a ****hole, you seem to have lived here all your life, you know there is a much better country that you can live in where nobody will dictate to you what you can and can't do but you don't plan going for another 10 years or so.

Seems strange that's all.

• Advertisement

Did you see the traffic in Dublin? I don’t hear many politicians proposing a huge congestion charge up there. I wonder why.

I whizz by it every day on my bike. Im all for congestion charges and keeping cars out of the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement