Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement options for Subtank mini

Options
  • 10-08-2019 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I've been happy out with a Kangertech subtank mini for years now and never needed to keep abreast of things but recently I'm finding it more and more difficult to find coils for it in shops. I imagine its becoming obsolete now and I'll have to change eventually but am a bit lost now tbh with all the available options, combinations and new tank size issues (was working off bulk bought liquid for ages so only recently learned about the new nic shot pita restrictions!).

Set up has been - istick 30w and 40w, 0.5 ssocc coils running around 15w and mix my own flavourless at around 2mg.

What would folks recommend that will see me good for a few years coil compatibility wise, have the ability to hold a decent amount of juice so I'm not constantly refilling and work with my current batteries or even a way to use most of what I've still got?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Have a look at the Aspire Cleito, or the Cleito 120. The original Cleito is out years, but it's still easy enough to get coils for and I still think it remains one of the better sub ohm tanks ever made. It's simple to use, easy to get on with, has good flavour. I still have 2 original Celito here and a 120, I use rba decks in them but I like that I can still get stock coils for them if I ever want. The original coils were 0.2 and 0.4 ohm, from what I remember I preferred the 0.4 ohm coils, and they are closer to what you want. I would recommend seeking out a Cleito on sale somewhere and get a pack of the 0.4 ohm coils, they'll last you ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Have a look at the Aspire Cleito, or the Cleito 120. The original Cleito is out years, but it's still easy enough to get coils for and I still think it remains one of the better sub ohm tanks ever made. It's simple to use, easy to get on with, has good flavour. I still have 2 original Celito here and a 120, I use rba decks in them but I like that I can still get stock coils for them if I ever want. The original coils were 0.2 and 0.4 ohm, from what I remember I preferred the 0.4 ohm coils, and they are closer to what you want. I would recommend seeking out a Cleito on sale somewhere and get a pack of the 0.4 ohm coils, they'll last you ages.

Thanks. Have been doing some reading up and it seems that my ignorance has had me using a sub ohm set up for no real reason (maybe I got roped in years ago when sub ohm took off) i.e I'm keeping the wattage low for the ohm used, using 50/50 juice with no flavour, airflow wide open and vaping dtl instead of mtl (didn't even know this difference was key to things).

If I don't care about clouds and only care about battery life and juice refill / expense then it seems I should be using a higher ohm mtl set up instead as this will use less battery and less juice but then again, I seem to like a dtl draw and not sure if going to a tighter draw will be appealing.

Maybe I should just get into using a rta deck and building my own, that way I don't have to worry about coil availability? Not sure at all now :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Thanks. Have been doing some reading up and it seems that my ignorance has had me using a sub ohm set up for no real reason (maybe I got roped in years ago when sub ohm took off) i.e I'm keeping the wattage low for the ohm used, using 50/50 juice with no flavour, airflow wide open and vaping dtl instead of mtl (didn't even know this difference was key to things).

If I don't care about clouds and only care about battery life and juice refill / expense then it seems I should be using a higher ohm mtl set up instead as this will use less battery and less juice but then again, I seem to like a dtl draw and not sure if going to a tighter draw will be appealing.

Maybe I should just get into using a rta deck and building my own, that way I don't have to worry about coil availability? Not sure at all now :confused: :pac:

Have a look at this RTA,very easy build for MTL,just buy pre-made coils & throw in a bit cotton,no more expense for a good few months...except juice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nAhrNWd7as&t=0s

If MTL is more your style then you could look at a pod system, some of them are decent, they're more akin to how vaping was pre-sub ohm. The coils are usually 1ohm+, they're neat and tidy and easy to use. I've heard great things about the IPV 3 mini pod system, that one is also an auto-squonk - meaning you fill a bottle with liquid that goes inside the mod, it automatically tops the tank up so you can continue vaping without having to refill as often. They say the coils can last up to a month too, and battery life is also supposedly very good.

I was wary of going the RTA route at first, was a stock coil only vaper for a long time and thought rebuilding was fiddly and awkward - it was a bit back then but it's so simple to get into now, the decks on modern tanks are as easy as it could ever be to build on. As youdipstick suggests, just find an RTA that you like the look of, check some reviews, watch a couple build tutorials and you'll see that it's not hard at all. Get some wire, some cotton and a snips and you're good to start. Most RTA tanks come with specific tools to work with

Thanks guys. Someone told me recently that building is super easy now but was still a bit wary. Have been looking at reviews for the Innokin Ares MTL RTA and only real negative comments seem to be about wide air holes so actually might work for me as I'm not used to super tight draw most mtl folks are looking for. Comes with lots of bits n bobs to get going aswell. Thoughts?

Another thing it seems I need to consider is the change in strength going from what I have to say the mtl rta although given I use my current set up at really low watts and nic level should I just stick with going for 2-3mg in the rta or up it to around 6 or more?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Someone told me recently that building is super easy now but was still a bit wary. Have been looking at reviews for the Innokin Ares MTL RTA and only real negative comments seem to be about wide air holes so actually might work for me as I'm not used to super tight draw most mtl folks are looking for. Comes with lots of bits n bobs to get going aswell. Thoughts?

Another thing it seems I need to consider is the change in strength going from what I have to say the mtl rta although given I use my current set up at really low watts and nic level should I just stick with going for 2-3mg in the rta or up it to around 6 or more?

It'll depend on the resistance you plan to build the coils - that's the beauty of building yourself, you choose the resistance, you choose whether you prefer MTL type vape or sub ohm. You'll want to check out a coil calculator, I use this one here: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html If say you build in around 1ohm, then you may want to up your nic a bit, try 6mg in that case.

It's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of the site - input the type of wire, size/gauge, whether you're doing 1 or 2 coils, the diameter of the coils [normally 3mm internal] and the resistance you're aiming for - it'll calculate how many wraps per coil you will need to do.

You may want to get yourself a coil jig set too, you can get simple ones for little money - here's one that includes snips, tweezers, alan key and screw driver for £7.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TIMESETL-1-5-4mm-Tweezers-Scissors-Screwdrivers/dp/B07CVW3NXH/ref=pd_day0_hl_60_3/261-3738353-6709668?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07CVW3NXH&pd_rd_r=634ae4c8-4903-4b08-8078-8b59c8309030&pd_rd_w=tUBsp&pd_rd_wg=D39hQ&pf_rd_p=92d624bb-a334-423e-8722-8024dd09667f&pf_rd_r=V2DANK1TYHAKTVVQ5MRQ&psc=1&refRID=V2DANK1TYHAKTVVQ5MRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 16,143 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm using the ares at the moment and it's one of the best MTL rebuildables I've ever used.

Honestly, you'll be using about the same setup. You can put in a coil at a slightly higher resistance and you'll be grand.
    Personally I'd recommend a 6 ml because that way you can lower the wattage and get the same nicotine with less vape production. If you're using a new coil and bump up the power to get the same vape then you could end up burning out the coil faster.

If you're looking at pod systems I can highly recommend the Aspire nautilus AIO. The nautilus coils have been around for years and that's because they're generally pretty reliable.

Thanks guys. Had a root around and found the rda deck that came with the Subtank mini. It had a premade 0.5 coil and cotton with it so put it together and its fine. Bit fiddly but easy enough and from what I can see making up the coils shouldn't be too much bother, especially with the calculator above (thanks!) and a few more tools. I might be a bit reluctant now to swap it out for the Ares as it's got a much smaller tank. Does it take a bubble glass or any other options to extend or am I better of sticking with what I have now?

Say if I do want to up my ohms to cut down on juice use and less cloud and aim for around 1ohm it seems I'll need 28 gauge wire @ 3mm diameter for 4-5 wraps. Sound about right?

Thanks guys. Had a root around and found the rda deck that came with the Subtank mini. It had a premade 0.5 coil and cotton with it so put it together and its fine. Bit fiddly but easy enough and from what I can see making up the coils shouldn't be too much bother, especially with the calculator above (thanks!) and a few more tools. I might be a bit reluctant now to swap it out for the Ares as it's got a much smaller tank. Does it take a bubble glass or any other options to extend or am I better of sticking with what I have now?

Say if I do want to up my ohms to cut down on juice use and less cloud and aim for around 1ohm it seems I'll need 28 gauge wire @ 3mm diameter for 4-5 wraps. Sound about right?

I would get some 26g wire, and it'll work out at 7 wraps - the wire is tougher and you tend to get a smoother vape from a wider coil, better flavour too though this doesn't matter in your case

I had the sub tank RBA deck years ago, I can't remember how I built it, I do remember it being tiny though so maybe the thinner wire would be better?

here are 2 videos showing 2 different rba's for the subtank mini...

they also show 2 different ways of coiling,micro & spaced coils...

they also show different tools that can be used...

thinner wire & more wraps gives you a higher resistance...

thicker wire & less wraps gives you a lower resistance...

personally,I prefer spaced wraps because they don't give you hot legs,easier to dry burn it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPnWGpLvhok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9io9tbrEro

These builds will bring back some good or bad memories ...LOL

• Advertisement

here are 2 videos showing 2 different rba's for the subtank mini...

they also show 2 different ways of coiling,micro & spaced coils...

they also show different tools that can be used...

thinner wire & more wraps gives you a higher resistance...

thicker wire & less wraps gives you a lower resistance...

personally,I prefer spaced wraps because they don't give you hot legs,easier to dry burn it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPnWGpLvhok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9io9tbrEro

These builds will bring back some good or bad memories ...LOL

That first guy really made it awkward by no building on a mod :D the second guy at least used a small stand but on a mod [switched off] it's so much easier. Or of course if you have something like a Coilmaster ohm reader/stand. I just build on a mod, and check the resistance on there too as it's where it'll be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Get yourself a Nautilus 2 or 2s. You can use the 0.7ohm coil for decent vape between 14-20w. The coils can be got everywhere and there's a huge selection too, you can get 0.4ohm, 0.7ohm, 1.2ohm, 1.6ohm and 1.8ohm for standard and NIC salts.
    The coils fit a lot of the aspire range too so as a poster above said grab a nautilus AIO at some stage as their very handy and use the same bvc coil.

I've vaped for over 8 years and I've been working in a vape shop for nearly 4 years so I've seen a lot of kits and tanks over the years. My personal setup is a nautilus 2 with 0.7ohm coil at 18w and the nautilus aio with a 1.6ohm coil, both using 50/50 liquid.

If you ever want sub ohm then grab a veco solo with ceramic coil and you'll have a very tidy setup.

Yeah, I've got the deck in the first video and worked it on the mod so it wasn't too bad. Looks like I'd fit 7 wraps in there at 3mm without issues. Will get some 26 and 28 kanthal and experiment a little bit to see whats going on. I'll probably end up getting back into flavoured for a while too since I'm saving money on coils.

Yeah, I've got the deck in the first video and worked it on the mod so it wasn't too bad. Looks like I'd fit 7 wraps in there at 3mm without issues. Will get some 26 and 28 kanthal and experiment a little bit to see whats going on. I'll probably end up getting back into flavoured for a while too since I'm saving money on coils.

I couldn't vape without flavor, it's as important to me now as the nic hit. Even try some simple single fruit flavoring, apple works really well as a solo.

I couldn't vape without flavor, it's as important to me now as the nic hit. Even try some simple single fruit flavoring, apple works really well as a solo.

I just got used to it over the years tbh and couldn't justify the cost when lots of half used fancy bottles started piling up but I was using a ****ty set up then so that didn't help. I'll prob play it safe with a strawberry cream type first as that was my go to back then and take it from there.

The past month I've been using liquid from EuroGiant,it's like a pound shop,the Strawberry,the Raspberry & the Apple at 6mg & 18mg are great flavours,only €1.50 for a 10ml bottle,I also tried their 50ml shortfill for a fiver,the flavour was Strawberry/Kiwi & Lime,fantastic flavour,I added 9mg nic to it & used it in a Smoant Pasito pod set-up with a sub ohm RBA deck,what a great pod system for a restricted DTL.

I know the new Artery Pal 2 Pro is out at the end of the month but I couldn't resist buying the predecessor https://www.ecigone.co.uk/pod-kits/artery-pal-aio-ii-kit-1000mah-tony-b-project-1750537255 for £18.99 & you also get 20% off that price,I always use DPD Express €3.85 https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/HomePage#/

The past month I've been using liquid from EuroGiant,it's like a pound shop,the Strawberry,the Raspberry & the Apple at 6mg & 18mg are great flavours,only €1.50 for a 10ml bottle,I also tried their 50ml shortfill for a fiver,the flavour was Strawberry/Kiwi & Lime,fantastic flavour,I added 9mg nic to it & used it in a Smoant Pasito pod set-up with a sub ohm RBA deck,what a great pod system for a restricted DTL.

I know the new Artery Pal 2 Pro is out at the end of the month but I couldn't resist buying the predecessor https://www.ecigone.co.uk/pod-kits/artery-pal-aio-ii-kit-1000mah-tony-b-project-1750537255 for £18.99 & you also get 20% off that price,I always use DPD Express €3.85 https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/HomePage#/

I'll have a look into that later as cheapo juice for the pods sounds good to me, I only need basic flavor in those on the go. Atm I'm adding extra nic to my regular DIY liquids for the pods but my juice is often 80+ VG - works fine in the Caliburn but I think more like 70/30 will give a better hit. Cheers.

So it seems the subtank mini deck I have is too small for 7 spaced wraps. 5 is max really.

Got some Kanthal A 28 (shop didn't have 26) and did up a 5 wrap coil 2.5mm for 1ohm but there is definitely less flavour with the juice I got compared to the kit 0.5 that was in the deck. Its there but not as nice. Maybe as its 70/30 its more geared towards sub ohm or maybe my coil or wicking is ****e?

Edit: Decided to drop it and go with some ss316l I also got. 26g, 7 tight wraps, 3mm ish. Made sure it was all firing ok. Came out at 0.55ohm. Also paid more attention to wick, not much resistance when fed through and cut a bit shorter then last time (just above outer ring) so wasn't rammed in there but enough to reach and cover holes. Much nicer flavour from the get go with 70/30 dead rabbit lime kiwi, dtl wide open. Clean and the sweetness and hint of cool is back again. Still keeping the watts real low at start though at around 14w.

So it seems the subtank mini deck I have is too small for 7 spaced wraps. 5 is max really.

Got some Kanthal A 28 (shop didn't have 26) and did up a 5 wrap coil 2.5mm for 1ohm but there is definitely less flavour with the juice I got compared to the kit 0.5 that was in the deck. Its there but not as nice. Maybe as its 70/30 its more geared towards sub ohm or maybe my coil or wicking is ****e?

Edit: Decided to drop it and go with some ss316l I also got. 26g, 7 tight wraps, 3mm ish. Made sure it was all firing ok. Came out at 0.55ohm. Also paid more attention to wick, not much resistance when fed through and cut a bit shorter then last time (just above outer ring) so wasn't rammed in there but enough to reach and cover holes. Much nicer flavour from the get go with 70/30 dead rabbit lime kiwi, dtl wide open. Clean and the sweetness and hint of cool is back again. Still keeping the watts real low at start though at around 14w.

Wicking is so important, too loose or too tight will affect things, too loose and you can get popping/spitback, too tight you can get dry hits and muted flavour. You just get the hang of it after a few re-wicks, you'll know what works best for you.

For any kind of sub ohm vaping I wouldn't go below 30w though, 14 is very low, that's MTL territory.

Wicking is so important, too loose or too tight will affect things, too loose and you can get popping/spitback, too tight you can get dry hits and muted flavour. You just get the hang of it after a few re-wicks, you'll know what works best for you.

For any kind of sub ohm vaping I wouldn't go below 30w though, 14 is very low, that's MTL territory.

Yup its super low but was getting dry hits if I went any higher no matter what I tried. Discovered a wicking method called pancake wicking and wowzer, can go way higher! I'm sure it'll take some fine tuning to stop potential leaking but the theory makes sense. No dry hits and I even had got a head buzz chain vaping which I haven't got in years :eek: My next problem will be how to deal with the battery and juice usage as I'm flying through both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

EuroGiant(Original) and Dealz(88vape) stock cheap ejuice!
    The past month I've been using liquid from EuroGiant,it's like a pound shop,

Thanks for that would have never thought of trying them shops.

I'll have a look into that later as cheapo juice for the pods sounds good to me, I only need basic flavor in those on the go. Atm I'm adding extra nic to my regular DIY liquids for the pods but my juice is often 80+ VG - works fine in the Caliburn but I think more like 70/30 will give a better hit. Cheers.

Popped into EuroGiant today and picked up 3 bottles to try out.
    'Lemon Sorbet' which I currently vaping, it is okay. Haven't tried that flavor before.
    A 'Cola' + 'Italian Cappuccino'
    Already have an opened coffee and cola from another brand, so it will be awhile before checking them.

EuroGiant also do a four pack of Nic Shots for a €5, didn't check the individual price.

As I am still using 18mg(/20mg salts) ejuice, short-fills and Nic shots won't cut it for me. Maybe in future when I reduce my dependency on nicotine.

I'm not affiliated with any store or review site.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I've been vaping 24mg nic for 7 years then I had to drop down to 18mg when the TDP rules arrived here 3 years ago,18mg still satisfies my cravings,I do 24mg mixes when I make it myself,I just love nicotine.

The Artery Pal II arrived today,I used the 0.6 coil with air flow fully opened & using 12mg Strawberry from Eurogiant,what a vape,wonderful throat hit & flavour (DL)

That's 4 AIO's I have now & they are all vaping perfect for me,just one more AIO to come (Pal II Pro) gonna use Eurogiant's Strawberry,Kiwi n lime at 12mg (DL) in that one.

My 200w mods with subohm tanks have now taken a back seat because of the IOA's,strange how vaping can change.

And how do these cheaper liquids compare to the more expensive ones? I've had some nasty ass cheap liquids in the past that just taste like chemicals whereas there's not a hint of anything like that with the DRS liquid I got the other day but it's pricey!

corkie wrote: »
    EuroGiant(Original) and Dealz(88vape) stock cheap ejuice!

Thanks for that would have never thought of trying them shops.

Popped into EuroGiant today and picked up 3 bottles to try out.
    'Lemon Sorbet' which I currently vaping, it is okay. Haven't tried that flavor before.
    A 'Cola' + 'Italian Cappuccino'
    Already have an opened coffee and cola from another brand, so it will be awhile before checking them.

EuroGiant also do a four pack of Nic Shots for a €5, didn't check the individual price.

As I am still using 18mg(/20mg salts) ejuice, short-fills and Nic shots won't cut it for me. Maybe in future when I reduce my dependency on nicotine.

I'm not affiliated with any store or review site.

Dang, just passed Dealz earlier, forgot to check, I know they have some kind of e-liquid in there.

I wouldn't use those liquids in sub tanks, I still DIY regular, actually just awaiting delivery of some 72g nic. But for pods I think plain straight flavours work better - with higher nic of course. I'd try some 12mg, seems to be the sweet spot for me in pods

And how do these cheaper liquids compare to the more expensive ones? I've had some nasty ass cheap liquids in the past that just taste like chemicals whereas there's not a hint of anything like that with the DRS liquid I got the other day but it's pricey!

I've had some nasty ones over the years too, but I think even the cheapest juices these days are vapeable. I remember getting some Irish cream liquid one time and it was what you'd imagine nail polish to taste like eurgh

I wouldn't use those liquids in sub tanks,

Don't have any tanks, just a pockex and caliburn.

Tried the 'Lemon Sorbet' in the pockex, because If there crap ejuice, was not committing a caliburn pod to the juice and continued after taste since ideally your can't (or not suppose to) use them below minimum fill line.

Even with that said I accidentally drained a pod the other day, and got a dry hit. Pod still fine (I think).

That 'Lemon Sorbet' is strong taste and good as a palette cleanser. Because other vapes in the caliburn tasted better after vaping it. <<< Well known already!?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Tried the 'Lemon Sorbet' in the pockex, because If there crap ejuice, was not committing a caliburn pod to the juice and continued after taste since ideally your can't (or not suppose to) use them below minimum fill line.

Even with that said I accidentally drained a pod the other day, and got a dry hit. Pod still fine (I think).

That 'Lemon Sorbet' is strong taste and good as a palette cleanser. Because other vapes in the caliburn tasted better after vaping it. <<< Well known already!?

I used that lemon sorbet from Eurogiant in a cleito tank which already had a lemon sorbet in it from another make & wow,it was strong as you say,I soon knocked the strength out of that by adding some VG.

Never tried Dealz in my town because I can't get parked near it but all the fruit ones from Eurogiant are tasty from 3mg up to 18mg,there seems to be a big turnover at my shop.
    At this very moment I am vaping a raspberry 18mg in a Nautilus2 at 13w & a strawberry 18mg in a iclear 30s at 16w & both are as tasty as hell.

I must try the strawberry in my Pockex when the apple pie & custard is finished,great taste from the Pockex.

It's the Caliburn I use too, atm I have some DIY apple yoghurt @12mg I use in there, but I went and made 100ml of it without thinking, be an age getting through all that so I'd like something else on side.

I did buy a couple nic salts, one was a Blueberry - sickly sweet - can't remember the name - the other was Dinner Lady lemon sherbet, very nice but harsh TH and I don't think salts are for me really. They were both 20mg and €6 per 10ml! 12mg freebase works much better for me personally - I might pop in there later on if I'm in town ... must write it on my hand old school so I don't forget again :D

Cheap EuroGiant juice ~~~ Feedback ~~~ Double check ratio's of PG/VG

Ratios are reversed on the packet compared to other ejuice listings.

Already reported on the 'Lemon Sorbet 50%PG/50%VG', strong flavor and only tried once.

'Italian Cappucino 30%PG/70%VG'

Tested with 1.2ohm coil PockeX (wrong for this juice?), it was well used coil, since I didn't want to junk up a good coil with this thick and dark liquid.

E-liquid smells of roast creamy coffee, no taste or detectable vape on intake, flavor hits on exhale and moderate vape clouds.

'Cola 50%PG/50%VG'

Again with PockeX, coil that was used mainly for a Heisenberg. E-liquid smells sour. Has the cola kick in the throat, sour & soapy aftertaste and smell from vape.

First thought was 'vapor's tongue' or that I hadn't shaked the bottle enough. When I first tried last night. Tried again today and is vape-able, but an acquired taste.

Had a 'Liqua Ice Tobacco' that when I first tried thought it tasted like mint toothpaste. But actually got to like that flavor and ordered and use it more.

Probably end up refilling 'MyBlu' pods with these EuroGiant ejuice and using them up that way. These cheap ejuice are probably grand for occasional use, when you run out of your own DIY (or waiting on Orders). Still put in a order yesterday, of my normal supply.

Has anyone tried 'Dealz/88vape' ejuice? Found a sponsored reviewer here: -
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAdamWinch/videos
    But also mix reports to stay clear of that ejuice online.

• Advertisement

All my fruit juice from EuroGiant is 70vg/30pg & in my Pockex's I use 80vg,the Pockex coils are no good for changing liquid,you will never get a true taste on a used coil.

Advertisement