Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is transporting dogs in a dog trailer cruel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Why, if they are sick and in danger of getting sick or soiling it’s even more reason to have them in the trailer/crate on the hitch.

Our dog would get car sick when we got him first. By him travelling in the car we were able to train him out of this by watching him and being able to give him short breaks when necessary. Which means he now loves traveling in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

OP I have used a dog box that hitches onto a tow bar for my GSD. I never had any issues and slowly introduced him to the box with treats etc. My drive was less than 30 mins to a nearby lake but If I needed to travel further I would stop and walk him every hour because the box is not massive. Unfortunately I had to change cars and have yet to fit a tow bar to the new car so its a while since I had him out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭blackbox

Knine wrote: »
    I'm thinking your partner might have OCD & in that case he may not be able to help it. I know a person just like this & they are actually a dog lover! Your dogs should be fine in a Trailer. Many people use them & I have not seen any distressed dogs - no more then in a car! Obviously his car will need a tow bar & he will have to be ok with towing!

Disliking dog hair in your food is hardly a diagnosis for OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

blackbox wrote: »
    Disliking dog hair in your food is hardly a diagnosis for OCD.

Who said anything about dog hair in their food? Do they normally eat their dinner in the car?

Knine wrote: »
    Who said anything about dog hair in their food? Do they normally eat their dinner in the car?

Maybe not dinner regularly (aside from an odd takeaway) but I eat lunch in the car regularly and I wouldn't be unusual I would have thought.

I'm not saying anything for/against dog hair being in your food just saying people do eat in their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wouldnt be a fan of the trailer for the dog.

I know dog hairs can be annoying to hoover up.

Look into seat covers for dogs, home store and more stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Dog lovers on here seem very aggressive towards people who don't share their canine love . It is the guys car and he doesn't want dogs in it fair enough.
    What's wrong putting a dog in a trailer FFS . As long as they've a grid to look out of and a bed to lie on they'll be happy out not having to put up with a stuffy car interior .

• Car99 wrote: »
    As long as they've a grid to look out of and a bed to lie on they'll be happy out not having to put up with a stuffy car interior .

Fair point. I wish I have a dog trailer when I'm stuck in the back of a clammy car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Car99 wrote: »
    Dog lovers on here seem very aggressive towards people who don't share their canine love . It is the guys car and he doesn't want dogs in it fair enough.
    What's wrong putting a dog in a trailer FFS . As long as they've a grid to look out of and a bed to lie on they'll be happy out not having to put up with a stuffy car interior .

Happy out??? Stressed from noise and fumes, rocked around far more than inside the vehicle and at great risk from collisions. Dog owners are advocates for their animals who don't have voices of their own.

OP, I use a trailer for my greyhounds with no problem. I put a duvet in and they’re comfy. So much so that the terriers like to get in with them!

Towing the trailer took a bit of getting used to but practice makes perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Happy out??? Stressed from noise and fumes, rocked around far more than inside the vehicle and at great risk from collisions. Dog owners are advocates for their animals who don't have voices of their own.

Do you have a seatbelt for your dog when in a car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Car99 wrote: »
    Do you have a seatbelt for your dog when in a car ?

Yes, of course. I have three. One attaches to the door handle, one to the headrest and the spare goes into the seatbelt socket to prevent warning pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

On one of my many moves, my dog was very comfy in the back of my car, nesting on cushions.
    I stopped for petrol and as always when I left the car she started barking.

A man told me off.. said I was cruel to make her travel like that; that she should be in a box towed behind the car.... You cannot please everyone!

Advertisement