Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is transporting dogs in a dog trailer cruel

Options
  • 09-08-2019 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

My partner has a bit of a phobia about dog hairs which causes big issues around the house.He has a car but I dont as generally dont need one . He won't allow dogs in car as says that's the only dog free space in his life . Was thinking of getting a dog trailer for the few times a year we need to bring dogs somewhere but am concerned it would be really uncomfortable for them, they'd feel every bump in road etc. Anyone have an opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd get a new partner rather than put my dogs in a trailer lol! :pac: Maybe offer to pay for a valet the few times the dogs are in the car and it'll be like new again? ;). That way you don't have trailers/crates/seat covers taking up space most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

seefin wrote: »
    My partner has a bit of a phobia about dog hairs which causes big issues around the house.He has a car but I dont as generally dont need one . He won't allow dogs in car as says that's the only dog free space in his life . Was thinking of getting a dog trailer for the few times a year we need to bring dogs somewhere but am concerned it would be really uncomfortable for them, they'd feel every bump in road etc. Anyone have an opinion

sorry if this is stupid question but how can you have dogs if your partner appears to dislike them? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Put your partner in the trailer or tie him to the roof like a Christmas tree. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

This is a relationship issue rather than a dog issue. Why is your partner using something you care about (your dog, presumably) to put you in this position? Obviously you don't like the idea of dog trailers and that's what matters.

Friend of mine doesn't allow his dog in the jeep or house and does a 1.5 hour return trip on the motorway most weeks with his dog in a dog trailer (and same with the previous dog). Never an issue.

See plenty others around my area with dog trailers or the dog boxes on the hitch and never head of any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What kind of car is it, saloon, hatch, estate.
    What kind of dog, big/small?

Could you get a crate which you can put the dog in and then put it in the car, that would keep the vast majority of hair in, could maybe even put blanket over crate.

The issue I see with trailer is what if you dog is sick and you are taking it to vet in that case it going to have to go in car then anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MSGSM

Some very ignorant and insensitive replies here. I know a guy who was very similar with regards dog hair/saliva. He loved dogs but suffered from crippling obsessive compulsive disorder and couldn't be near them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭55Percent

Of course dog trailers arent cruel, the way some of ya talk im suprised you dont hire a personal chauffeur. Better seeing a dog trailer than some moron drivng around with the dog jumping around the car like a playpen.

Friend of mine doesn't allow his dog in the jeep or house and does a 1.5 hour return trip on the motorway most weeks with his dog in a dog trailer (and same with the previous dog). Never an issue.

See plenty others around my area with dog trailers or the dog boxes on the hitch and never head of any issues.

Doesn't allow them in the car or house??? why bother having one??? as a garden ornament???

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

cocker5 wrote: »
    Doesn't allow them in the car or house??? why bother having one??? as a garden ornament???

Obviously a hunting or sporting dog or something. Not a pet anyway, very little emotional attachment. Clearly the emotional attachment element is what's causing the OP's problem. I would imagine that it's very easy to fling an animal into a trailer and hurtle along the motorway with it when you're not that bothered about it.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that it's very easy to fling an animal into a trailer and hurtle along the motorway with it when you're not that bothered about it.

You obviously havent a clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Stanford

The question is about transporting dogs, I'm sure OP wasn't looking for relationship advice. I use a hitch mounted dog box which means every bump from the car wheels isn't transmitted to the dogs. Also dogs will be safer in a box as they can be seriously hurt (and can hurt others) if rapid braking and swerving causes them to be thrown about the car.

Give them small treats before and after the journey and they will soon see a spin in the trailer as an adventure, ignore the assholes on here who think they are marriage guidance counsellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

cocker5 wrote:
    sorry if this is stupid question but how can you have dogs if your partner appears to dislike them?

We split up 9 years ago and I got the dogs then. We got back together after a year but it's a struggle for him ever since with hairs in food etc. I have my issues so allow him this-its a kind of phobia about the hair. He keeps his own place and we just live together half the week as this is as much dog hair as he can tolerate. He is doing his best and can't help how he feels. He just got new car and I respect he doesn't want them in it. Don't want to have to get a second car just for the few times a year want to bring dogs to beach . Use taxis when have to bring a dog to vet if sick. Or walk to vets otherwise . But for anything over than an hours walk need an alternative. Have seen these trailers and wondered if dogs get distressed in them .

What kind of dogs are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Never seen a dog unhappy going In or out of one.

Meant to ask if you need to routinely transport the dogs or if only going to the Vet now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm thinking your partner might have OCD & in that case he may not be able to help it. I know a person just like this & they are actually a dog lover! Your dogs should be fine in a Trailer. Many people use them & I have not seen any distressed dogs - no more then in a car! Obviously his car will need a tow bar & he will have to be ok with towing!

seefin wrote: »
    We split up 9 years ago and I got the dogs then. We got back together after a year but it's a struggle for him ever since with hairs in food etc. I have my issues so allow him this-its a kind of phobia about the hair. He keeps his own place and we just live together half the week as this is as much dog hair as he can tolerate. He is doing his best and can't help how he feels. He just got new car and I respect he doesn't want them in it. Don't want to have to get a second car just for the few times a year want to bring dogs to beach . Use taxis when have to bring a dog to vet if sick. Or walk to vets otherwise . But for anything over than an hours walk need an alternative. Have seen these trailers and wondered if dogs get distressed in them .

Sorry OP I can see now it’s a phobia.

On the car thing ok it’s his car infairness

Do you mind if I ask what breed?

I’ve had a dog for 14 years no hairs in food etc and very little shedding..

Have you looked at ways to try and reduce the hair / shedding ? It may help you both a little x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

55Percent wrote: »
    Of course dog trailers arent cruel, the way some of ya talk im suprised you dont hire a personal chauffeur. Better seeing a dog trailer than some moron drivng around with the dog jumping around the car like a playpen.

There are easier ways than a trailer to safely confine a dog in a car. And better than a crate

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

There are easier ways than a trailer to safely confine a dog in a car. And better than a crate

Different ways, i wouldnt use easier or harder. For me the trailer is perfect because of my vehicle and circumstances. And if allergies are an issue a trailer could be a great solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Once you take a sensible approach to it I can't see any major issues, possibly bit harder if dog is older.
    Introduce them to it slowly, first just put bed and toy in without it moving at all, then short trips maybe with a kong or something and gradually get longer.
    Make sure to give lots of treats to make it a positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

These things?

maxresdefault.jpg

DSCF0830.JPG

Your partner is crazy. I don't think its cruel i don't think its exactly sane for a family pet either though.

Your dog is about 4 feet from the back of an exhaust pipe for the entire journey though.

A horse has his head way above it. Your dog is going to be right at the same level. Also you can get air vent filters for horse trailers they are also open at the back.
    Also a dog is very small to absorb any movement .

I seriously cannot figure out why someone would consider this. So much fuss over a dog.

I don't think its wise.

• This is a relationship issue rather than a dog issue. Why is your partner using something you care about (your dog, presumably) to put you in this position? Obviously you don't like the idea of dog trailers and that's what matters.

Am I being whooshed?

He abides the dog in all other aspects of his life. Could the OP not make this one concession. Dog trailers are perfectly safe means of transporting a dog. I wouldn't use one as I don't mind a dog in the car. But if my partner did I'd have no qualms getting a dog trailer. Obviously a decent one, not some skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

How is your dog when traveling in a car as normal. For example, mine gets carsick, first dog I've had that doesnt enjoy the car but she gets nervous when in any unfamiliar situations, we can't feed her before any car rides and she needs constant reassurance.

We bought a large cover for the backseat to catch any accidents, it catches a lot of the hair as well. That, and a small handheld pet hoover would be a lot cheaper and IMO, make more sense than a trailer, you rarely see them used for transporting dogs, especially a single one. Dogs are always happier around their owner(s).

i do tend to agree with other posters that a partner who can't handle a bit of dog hair that is easy to clean up, for occasional car rides would, although it seems minor, make me wonder if the person was a good match for me. people who have that attitude to dogs vs us dog nuts just tend to be so different. but I'm sure there is a compromise here, or perhaps your dog wont mind it, if it is made comfortable and has decent suspension and the driver takes it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Buy a dog travel crate.

Dogs have passed away from the build up of exhaust fumes in those things. You will need to find something to help make the air safe for your dog to breathe.

Also are these things made to prevent over heating in the summer and from being too cold in winter? You will have to look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Quite apart from fumes, it strikes me that there's a real danger to the dog if any kind of evasive manoevre or collision occurs. Either the trailer will tip over and drag or the trailer will be extremely damaged. Modern vehicles have crumple zones to mitigate injury from collisions. I'd have an extremely frank conversation with the current partner and if necessary put him up for adoption by someone who shares his distaste for animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Quite apart from fumes, it strikes me that there's a real danger to the dog if any kind of evasive manoevre or collision occurs. Either the trailer will tip over and drag or the trailer will be extremely damaged. Modern vehicles have crumple zones to mitigate injury from collisions. I'd have an extremely frank conversation with the current partner and if necessary put him up for adoption by someone who shares his distaste for animals.

These factors are in my mind also. Personally I would never ever use a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a soft fabric fold up crate, depending on the size of the dog, you could try this in the boot or back seat, with a cover on the seat. Would he agree to this?

Mine go into the boot of hatchback for short local trips, and longer ones have a harness and seat belt. I have a boot liner and a seat cover, both waterproof, that can be hosed down and washed.

cruizer101 wrote: »

The issue I see with trailer is what if you dog is sick and you are taking it to vet in that case it going to have to go in car then anyway.

Why, if they are sick and in danger of getting sick or soiling it’s even more reason to have them in the trailer/crate on the hitch.
    cocker5 wrote: »

Pet and working dog. It’s not usual for pets to not be allowed in the car or house either from my experience though. Outdoor only dogs are very common (with a shed/garage/kennel for shelter).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, I'm just going to step in here to nip the indoor vs outdoor dog argument in the bud before it gets started. It will bring this thread too far off topic.
    Thank you,
    DBB

Advertisement