Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Does a Weber rust a LOT harder than a Mastercook/Phoenix class gas bbq please?

I'm gonna be honest with myself. I won't be using the cover and it's gonna rain on the bbq - all year round... My pattern of use is very ad-hoc. I use it for small things - often on the side burner only - for a few minutes multiple times a day most of the time. Using a cover is just a barrier for me to actually pick the bbq over the kitchen right next to it. (I tried using a cover, it made me stop using the bbq)

So I covered the past few years with two Mastercook bbqs - without a cover - the second of which is about to be thrown out now. Of course they looked awful from like year 2.

Does it make sense to buy a Weber gas bbq to make it a lot more rust proof without a cover or I'd just throw out more money every few years? (I'm not aware of anything else I'd need a better bbq for)

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you're needs aren't that great, why invest in a Webber? Why not buy a cheaper BBQ that you don't mind deteriorating in the weather. It's not like you are making use of the functionality of the Webber...

If you're only using the side burner, a Camping Gaz burner might work better for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Thanks, that's what I was thinking - kept doing for a good few years. I'd only buy a Weber if it was amazingly rust proof without a cover as I could keep it for more years. (side burner most of the time, but I do use the 4 burner area as well sometimes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I have a weber, outside under a cover for the last 3-4 years and there isn't a spot of rust on it anywhere.

i don't understand why you wouldn't use a cover on any bbq if leaving it outside - you can get very decent third party covers on amazon and it takes seconds to put on a cover or take it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

To counter that, my weber which has been outside the last 3 years undercover and taken in usually Nov - Mar. has a decent amount of rust around the legs and the bottom shelf and the coating on the tub where the grates sit's is bubbling.

• Advertisement

I’m really surprised at that - what type of Weber is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I have the same one. must do a closer inspection!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I am a bit like the poster above, despise the cover. It's like a mental barrier to throwing on the bbq for a small meal.

cover on and off is easy of course, but post rain, dirt, spiders, cats pissing on them etc etc, it's just annoying...

I think the answer is to buy one of the cheaper brands/woodies type brands and accept life span will be 3 or 4 summers and no more. Bring the internal food grate/grill in for the winter.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Inthepoorhouse

Looking to purchase a new gas BBQ. Would like to keep it below €500 and happy with a 3 burner, don't need any bigger.

Looking at an Outback Spectrum Pro 3 from Homebase in Ireland, it is currently discounted down to €390. (I can't link to it as only a new user to the forum).

Have had a similar Outback before and found it good, the reviews for the current Outback Spectrum are decent, something about the plates not being as strong as in previous versions is the only negative. However, I am happy with it based on previous experience.

Anybody have any alternative recommendations? Is it worth spending a few hundred extra for a similar 3 burner gas Weber?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Here you go, and yes reviews on the plates hit and miss.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/outback-spectrum-pro-3-burner-gas-bbq-black/13950665.html

😎

Thanks thats the BBQ. I must have a predecessor and the plates are pretty solid tbf.

I could always buy replacment plates down the line if they turn out to be crap after a few years of use.

Looked at a Weber 3 burner Spirit E310 bbq, it is double the price.

Is the Weber really that much better? Or am I paying for a brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Everdure Force BBQ update:

I've had it running for a few weeks and I'm pleasantly surprised.

It heats up to about 400 in a very short time... Easy to clean and maintain. The flames seem to remain very controlled... It's hard to burn things on it because the heat seems to be consistent and while there are high and low spots on the grill, they don't seem to cause a negative impact. I've yet to do a big joint on it, but I'll check back in when I have...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

Ive had the Sahara S350 for a couple of years now and love it. Has a good side flat grill plate also. The timber boards on the side are really useful to use as trays between the kitchen and outdoors. Can be had for €400 if you do a bit of googling. Sahara have good support also.

They also have a couple of other new models around same price range based on this model without the timber.

The X350 also worth a look and can be had for €500 if you look around.

Thank you, I will have a look at those BBQs you mentioned.

Will look to go view in store.

I have no issue going for the Outback again but just wanted to see what else is out there that people would recommend.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

Woodies do the Sahara barbecues

https://www.woodies.ie/sahara-3-burner-gas-bbq-oak 👍

Wassie, is the grill plate good for searing steaks and burgers?

I find its great. The big thing for me is having the tray above to the protein to keep it warm and a slow final cook. I also have the griddle pan insert with is great for stir fries and for fish.

Cheers Wassie, I was looking at that and the Outback Tango, is there a way to use a rotisserie with the Sahara?

Has anyone got any experience with char broil barbecues? I'm looking at this dual fuel yoke 😊

https://johnstowngardencentre.ie/char-broil/char-broil-gas2coal-2-0-330.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

i was looking at them yesterday, decided to look elsewhere:

trustpilot review:

Char-Broil Reviews 32  •  Poor

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.charbroil.com

available here too: https://shop.calorgas.ie/outdoor-living/gas-bbqs-accessories.html?manufacturer=Char-Broil

Have you an alternative in mind dball? I had decided on the Outback Tango 4 Burner Gas Bbq but just discovered that outback have stopped producing them. Yer head would be wrecked lookin and deciding 🙄

prob do a bit of searching online for a discounted weber 2200. seems to be a 10 warranty with them, and i dont want something i need to replace in 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I bought a Weber Q2200 a few weeks back - very happy with it. Paid €350 for it - I'm sure it can be picked up cheaper but I didn't have the patience.

I had a Mastercook 3/4 burner for a couple of years and realised I didn't need something that size for family cooking.

Is this genuine or am I missing something

https://citybikes.shop/product/weber-genesis-ii-ex-315-3-burner-propane-gas-smart-grill-in-black/?utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=citybikes&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=21692

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

1st rule of the internet...If an offer seams to good to be true then it probably is.

Prices there look to be 50% cheaper than anywhere else. The look of the Website and a quick google maps search of the address wouldn't inspire you with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I bought a Broil King in 2020.

While, sometimes, I'd like it a tiny bit hotter, I'm very happy with it. It's been outside, uncovered for 3 years with no sign of any structural damage (a little cosmetic damage around the thermometer and the logo is all the weathering that has occurred in 3 years).

An eshop called Citybikes that only sells BBQs.......sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

/s

• Advertisement

🤣Am I that gullible. Going to buy from a shop where I can examine with a fine tooth comb any possible purchases

Advertisement