Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019/2020 Premier League Injuries and Suspensions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,192 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Sterking one booking away from a suspension now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sterking one booking away from a suspension now.

Skerting on thin ice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

PARlance wrote:
    Skerting on thin ice!

I see what you did there.

Noooice.

For those few who have Kane in their team still. May mean Son up top.

https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/1190796541843378178

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wish I'd kept Son now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wish I'd kept Son now.
    Not anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

I didn’t buy Bernardo Silva on my recent WC due to the impending hearing/suspension for thy tweet.

Has this just gone to bed now ?

Last I remember is City asked for an extension for the hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

I don't understand why they even have to. Never a red card, only changed from yellow to red after ref saw how badly injured Gomes was. Why can't Premier League just put their hands up and say a mistake was made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I don't understand why they even have to. Never a red card, only changed from yellow to red after ref saw how badly injured Gomes was. Why can't Premier League just put their hands up and say a mistake was made?

Definate red card when you see this pic and I also only thought it was a yellow when it happened. Son was on a revenge mission after an accidental elbow from gomes a few mins earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Definate red card when you see this pic and I also only thought it was a yellow when it happened. Son was on a revenge mission after an accidental elbow from gomes a few mins earlier

That's some strange logic. A picture could make an awful lot of tackles, in one game alone, look like career ending ones depending on the angle etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭macraignil

eh i dunno wrote: »

I agree the photo does make it clearer that it should have been a red card. Not really visible from the video angles what contact was made and the photo clearly shows Son taking the players ankle out from behind while they were running at full speed. I would be shocked if the appeal against the ban is accepted as the tackle has now been shown to be reckless and endangering the player safety without getting the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

macraignil wrote: »
    I agree the photo does make it clearer that it should have been a red card. Not really visible from the video angles what contact was made and the photo clearly shows Son taking the players ankle out from behind while they were running at full speed. I would be shocked if the appeal against the ban is accepted as the tackle has now been shown to be reckless and endangering the player safety without getting the ball.

Yes looking back on it now I’m not sure how he can appeal it
    His head was gone
    He made absolutely no attempt to play the ball
    He was only interested in the man
    Therefore it was reckless and it did indeed endanger his opponent

Given sons own reaction I am suprised he has appealed
    Respect for him gone
    If he really felt that bad then 3 games is nothing compared to Gomes

And yes it was a freak but at the end of the day he went to foul him and not play the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

km79 wrote: »
    Yes looking back on it now I’m not sure how he can appeal it
    His head was gone
    He made absolutely no attempt to play the ball
    He was only interested in the man
    Therefore it was reckless and it did indeed endanger his opponent

Given sons own reaction I am suprised he has appealed
    Respect for him gone
    If he really felt that bad then 3 games is nothing compared to Gomes

And yes it was a freak but at the end of the day he went to foul him and not play the ball

Harsh on Son. It's more than likely the club appealing it rather than Son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Harsh on Son. It's more than likely the club appealing it rather than Son.

FF may not be the forum for this, but the best solution would have been the PL rescinding it without need for appeal (just say Atkinson recognises he over reacted in the circumstances)

It's a reckless challenge, it's a yellow. It's not a red and Son has every right to appeal IMO. I've yet to hear any player or ex player say its a red.

Benimar wrote: »
    FF may not be the forum for this, but the best solution would have been the PL rescinding it without need for appeal (just say Atkinson recognises he over reacted in the circumstances)

It's a reckless challenge, it's a yellow. It's not a red and Son has every right to appeal IMO. I've yet to hear any player or ex player say its a red.

I can understand why there is some sympathy for Son but still think the three match ban should apply for what was a reckless challenge from behind with very little chance of getting the ball. From my understanding of the rules of the game that is normally a red card. It takes a lot of force to dislocate an ankle and the PL rescinding the on field decision when a player is hospitilised by the challenge would be a terrible message to send out about the game. It not only endangered the player who is now going to miss a lot of games but was cynical in stopping Everton attacking with the ball. I also do not understand why ex players should need to come out to back up the referees decision.

One of the red tops this morning talking about where this leaves Son, and questioning how he will get over it. Be interesting to see if he starts in Belgrade tomorrow.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

macraignil wrote: »
    I can understand why there is some sympathy for Son but still think the three match ban should apply for what was a reckless challenge from behind with very little chance of getting the ball. From my understanding of the rules of the game that is normally a red card. It takes a lot of force to dislocate an ankle and the PL rescinding the on field decision when a player is hospitilised by the challenge would be a terrible message to send out about the game. It not only endangered the player who is now going to miss a lot of games but was cynical in stopping Everton attacking with the ball. I also do not understand why ex players should need to come out to back up the referees decision.

That sort of challenge happens in at least one game each weekend and it’s always a yellow. Choudury on Salah probably the most recent example.

The ‘penalty’ is based on the foul (yellow card), not on the outcome. To base it on outcome opens a can of worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

scotchy wrote: »
    One of the red tops this morning talking about where this leaves Son, and questioning how he will get over it. Be interesting to see if he starts in Belgrade tomorrow.

Dermot Gallagher was on SSN the other day suggesting it was important Atkinson gets all the necessary support after witnessing what happened. I guffawed but in fairness Gallagher was the ref at OT when Bust had his injury and hearing him talking about it was rough, it took him years to come to terms with it.

• Advertisement

scotchy wrote: »

This is what is annoying me about it all tbh
    Lots of articles about Poor Son this and Poor son that
    I had a certain amount of sympathy for him until they appealed
    And there is no way it was appealed without his permission

Anyway this all prob way off topic
    I don’t think it will be rescinded

Not sure it is off topic, Son is huge in FF, if I had him in my team Id be wondering if he's going to come back from this mentally. How will he handle the next tackle he has to make. Spurs were already on a downward spiral. There is a possibility of them not having Kane or Son available against Lundstram.

Sorry for being so crass after what happened to Gomes, FF has turned me into this.:mad:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The red card won’t be rescinded, given they watched it on video and decided it was a red card. All they’ll be doing is watching it on video again.

This is what is annoying me about it all tbh
    Lots of articles about Poor Son this and Poor son that
    I had a certain amount of sympathy for him until they appealed
    And there is no way it was appealed without his permission

Anyway this all prob way off topic
    I don’t think it will be rescinded

It's not off topic. People are discussing a player who is facing suspension in an injuries and suspensions thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Almost all red cards are appealed these days it seems, looks like it's the standard practice. Is there any cost to doing so? Or extra-penalty if it's upheld?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Almost all red cards are appealed these days it seems, looks like it's the standard practice. Is there any cost to doing so? Or extra-penalty if it's upheld?

One extra game for a frivolous appeal. Given that most people who watched the whole incident back seem to think a yellow was the correct call, I certainly don’t think they have grounds to increase it anyway.

One extra game for a frivolous appeal. Given that most people who watched the whole incident back seem to think a yellow was the correct call, I certainly don’t think they have grounds to increase it anyway.

I agree you could view the incident as a yellow card when seen from a distance. The replays shown on BBC Match of the Day made me agree with the pundits on the show commenting that they felt it should have been yellow. If they only saw the replays that were broadcast then I can see where they are coming from. The still photo of Son hitting the ankle of Gomes from behind posted earlier in the thread makes the red card much easier to understand and after seeing the photo and the replays I think it is a deserved red.

It happened so fast I can see the reason for some confusion and I see no problem with an appeal because of the disagreement raised. With all the evidence I have seen taken together I can't see the three match ban been reduced. Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

That sort of challenge happens in at least one game each weekend and it’s always a yellow. Choudury on Salah probably the most recent example.

The ‘penalty’ is based on the foul (yellow card), not on the outcome. To base it on outcome opens a can of worms.

Exactly this. In terms of fantasy football, if that is adjudged to be a red card and ban after the appeal, we should all get used to a lot more minus scores for players in the fantasy.

Even the Choudury challenge mentioned was a far worse challenge, more force and a bit higher on the leg iirc. The amount of times a player will do exactly what Son did and injure the opponent badly is 1 in 10k or something ridiculous! The outcome of the challenge can't and should not have been used as a deciding factor in the red card. If Gomes had got up and taken the free kick himself a minute later, does anyone think that it would ever be more than a yellow card challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,798 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

McBain11 wrote: »

Even the Choudury challenge mentioned was a far worse challenge, more force and a bit higher on the leg iirc. The amount of times a player will do exactly what Son did and injure the opponent badly is 1 in 10k or something ridiculous! The outcome of the challenge can't and should not have been used as a deciding factor in the red card. If Gomes had got up and taken the free kick himself a minute later, does anyone think that it would ever be more than a yellow card challenge?

Ignore the rules for a second, Son made no attempt to get the ball - his sole aim was to take down Gomez - no one can argue with that. Even if it's 1 in 1m chance of a freak injury - why should any player have the right take a player down and make no attempt to play the ball without facing a possible red card?

Now you say the tackle is only a yellow - the outcome can't and should not be considered is your argument yet if a player is running through on goal with only keeper to beat and is taken down by a "yellow card" tackle - the potential outcome is considered. It could be a goal, therefore it's a red card.

Finally if it's clearly not a red card - VAR could have just overruled the ref, which we have seen numerous times over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ignore the rules for a second, Son made no attempt to get the ball - his sole aim was to take down Gomez - no one can argue with that. Even if it's 1 in 1m chance of a freak injury - why should any player have the right take a player down and make no attempt to play the ball without facing a possible red card?

Now you say the tackle is only a yellow - the outcome can't and should not be considered is your argument yet if a player is running through on goal with only keeper to beat and is taken down by a "yellow card" tackle - the potential outcome is considered. It could be a goal, therefore it's a red card.

Finally if it's clearly not a red card - VAR could have just overruled the ref, which we have seen numerous times over the weekend.

You can take a player down by slide tackling or pulling a player down using arms. It happens constantly in football matches. It is almost always intentional also, as in it's a cynical foul. Any of these instances where the fouled player is brought to ground could possibly result in an injury. The chances of it are low though and that's why refs look at such fouls and adjudge whether it's just a cynical foul (as Sons was imo) or whether the foul is reckless (Choudury as an example was imo).

If Son makes that exact tackle time and time again, there would be no injury to the opposing player. It was a freak accident. If refs are going to give red cards based on the resulting injury to the fouled player they are simply going rogue. There is absolutely nothing about such a thing in the laws of the game.

Son wins his appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

CSF wrote: »
    The red card won’t be rescinded, given they watched it on video and decided it was a red card. All they’ll be doing is watching it on video again.

It was

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    It was

Which essentially means that both Martin Atkinson and Anthony Taylor failed to implement the laws of the game correctly.

English refereeing really is a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,798 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Which essentially means that both Martin Atkinson and Anthony Taylor failed to implement the laws of the game correctly.

English refereeing really is a shambles.

Or it may mean spurs got some hot shot lawyer in the room to fight their case

I doubt it would it have been overturned, had the ref given a straight red, instead of the yellow initially.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Or it may mean spurs got some hot shot lawyer in the room to fight their case

I doubt it would it have been overturned, had the ref given a straight red, instead of the yellow initially.

I reckon Lionel Hutz could have got that overturned tbf :D

• Advertisement

SofaScore has Mount as coming off injured.

Anything to it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Anything to it ?

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/1191845394470375424?s=19

Same ankle he injured against Valencia didn't miss any time though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

You can take a player down by slide tackling or pulling a player down using arms. It happens constantly in football matches. It is almost always intentional also, as in it's a cynical foul. Any of these instances where the fouled player is brought to ground could possibly result in an injury. The chances of it are low though and that's why refs look at such fouls and adjudge whether it's just a cynical foul (as Sons was imo) or whether the foul is reckless (Choudury as an example was imo).

If Son makes that exact tackle time and time again, there would be no injury to the opposing player. It was a freak accident. If refs are going to give red cards based on the resulting injury to the fouled player they are simply going rogue. There is absolutely nothing about such a thing in the laws of the game.

He was Red Carded for ‘endangering the safety of the player”.

1. Was there INTENT to play the ball? No
    2. Was there INTENT to play the PLAYER? Yes
    3. Was there retribution in his mind? Arguably Yes

Gomes has played the ball and only then does Son decide to go to ground

He was 100% endangered the safety of the player by Intentionally going to ground and kicking the player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Anything to it ?

Roll of the ankle quite high up, I'd expect him to miss a game just to rest it at least.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    He was Red Carded for ‘endangering the safety of the player”.

1. Was there INTENT to play the ball? No
    2. Was there INTENT to play the PLAYER? Yes
    3. Was there retribution in his mind? Arguably Yes

Gomes has played the ball and only then does Son decide to go to ground

He was 100% endangered the safety of the player by Intentionally going to ground and kicking the player

This logic is absolutely bizarre. You could make an argument for almost every single foul being a red card due to endangering a players safety so. When Fernandinho got his 2nd yellow card vs Villa a couple of weeks ago for a cynical foul that left the Villa player on the floor, surely that should be a straight red by this logic?

There must be levels of force involved in adjudicating on such cynical fouls. Otherwise, all all cynical fouls where you know the player has made no attempt to play the ball, and the fouled player ends up on the floor, should they all result in red cards from now on?

The Son challenge is never a straight red card. If the FA had stood over that decision and banned Son it would have opened a huge can of worms regards to yellow/red card challenges in future. It was a woeful decision by the ref on the day to give that red card, and thankfully the FA corrected that by rescinding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

This logic is absolutely bizarre. You could make an argument for almost every single foul being a red card due to endangering a players safety so. When Fernandinho got his 2nd yellow card vs Villa a couple of weeks ago for a cynical foul that left the Villa player on the floor, surely that should be a straight red by this logic?

There must be levels of force involved in adjudicating on such cynical fouls. Otherwise, all all cynical fouls where you know the player has made no attempt to play the ball, and the fouled player ends up on the floor, should they all result in red cards from now on?

The Son challenge is never a straight red card. If the FA had stood over that decision and banned Son it would have opened a huge can of worms regards to yellow/red card challenges in future. It was a woeful decision by the ref on the day to give that red card, and thankfully the FA corrected that by rescinding it.

The way I see it, Is that Son has no right to make that tackle. He can see the covering player and therefore should not be INTENTIONALLY looking to foul/kick the player when there is another player coming in to make the tackle. Retribution is also in Son’s mind. So while there isn’t just a single factor like force to consider, he has definitely endangered the player by fouling him which ultimately leads to the injury as there is another player coming in to tackle him who causes the injury because of Sons retribution & intention tackle

Chesty08 wrote: »
    The way I see it, Is that Son has no right to make that tackle. He can see the covering player and therefore should not be INTENTIONALLY looking to foul/kick the player when there is another player coming in to make the tackle. Retribution is also in Son’s mind. So while there isn’t just a single factor like force to consider, he has definitely endangered the player by fouling him which ultimately leads to the injury as there is another player coming in to tackle him who causes the injury because of Sons retribution & intention tackle
    My opinion too
    And I’ve a feeling we will see a rule change to make this more enforceable
    Or just see refs go for a red more often
    Like they did with tackles from behind when players were even making an attempt for the ball unlike Son

I hate all the “he isn’t that type of player “ rubbish too
    He clearly is now
    He took a knock from Gomes which he didn’t like . His head went and first chance him he got he deliberately played the man not the ball

He is now somehow the victim in many people’s eyes despite not even getting a ban and obviously his ankle is also fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I reckon Lionel Hutz could have got that overturned tbf :D

Someone call Harvey Spectre

My opinion too
    And I’ve a feeling we will see a rule change to make this more enforceable
    Or just see refs go for a red more often
    Like they did with tackles from behind when players were even making an attempt for the ball unlike Son

I hate all the “he isn’t that type of player “ rubbish too
    He clearly is now
    He took a knock from Gomes which he didn’t like . His head went and first chance him he got he deliberately played the man not the ball

He is now somehow the victim in many people’s eyes despite not even getting a ban and obviously his ankle is also fine

Just on the Son stuff. The 'he isn't that type of player' or the fawning over how upset he was after Gomes injury, none of the really interests me tbh. The fact is that the laws of the game need to be followed, and imo the referee did not follow them giving that red card.

I'd agree with a lot of what Chesty and KM are saying, but for such fouls to become red cards, there must be a change in the law. It would cut out a huge amount of cynical fouls then also which drive me insane.

On the Son incident though, the ref can't decide on the sanction based on whether Gomes gets back up or not. It's a bad injury and nobody ever wants to see that, but it can't be the deciding factor in a refs mind. It's not in the laws or directives like some in some rugby situations. He got it wrong, and that is backed up by the FA rescinding the red card. In saying that, I wouldn't have much problem if they did tweak the rule and sliding attempts like Sons that aren't a genuine challenge for the ball are reds in future. Outside of safety it would kill off a huge amount of cynical tactical fouls also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

Son assists Lo Celso's opener tonight. Hopefully he can get on a PL goal trail soon as there are a few tasty mids in the 5.8 to 8m ish range to free up funds elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ederson out according to Pep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What's the latest on Mount? Is he still a doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Pighead wrote: »
    What's the latest on Mount? Is he still a doubt?

https://twitter.com/BenDinnery/status/1192800893135130625

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Is David Silva out do we know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement