Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019/2020 Premier League Injuries and Suspensions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Sterking one booking away from a suspension now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sterking one booking away from a suspension now.

Skerting on thin ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

PARlance wrote:
    Skerting on thin ice!

I see what you did there.

Noooice.

For those few who have Kane in their team still. May mean Son up top.

https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/1190796541843378178

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wish I'd kept Son now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wish I'd kept Son now.
    Not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

I didn’t buy Bernardo Silva on my recent WC due to the impending hearing/suspension for thy tweet.

Has this just gone to bed now ?

Last I remember is City asked for an extension for the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

I don't understand why they even have to. Never a red card, only changed from yellow to red after ref saw how badly injured Gomes was. Why can't Premier League just put their hands up and say a mistake was made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I don't understand why they even have to. Never a red card, only changed from yellow to red after ref saw how badly injured Gomes was. Why can't Premier League just put their hands up and say a mistake was made?

Definate red card when you see this pic and I also only thought it was a yellow when it happened. Son was on a revenge mission after an accidental elbow from gomes a few mins earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Definate red card when you see this pic and I also only thought it was a yellow when it happened. Son was on a revenge mission after an accidental elbow from gomes a few mins earlier

That's some strange logic. A picture could make an awful lot of tackles, in one game alone, look like career ending ones depending on the angle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

eh i dunno wrote: »

I agree the photo does make it clearer that it should have been a red card. Not really visible from the video angles what contact was made and the photo clearly shows Son taking the players ankle out from behind while they were running at full speed. I would be shocked if the appeal against the ban is accepted as the tackle has now been shown to be reckless and endangering the player safety without getting the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,165 ✭✭✭✭km79

macraignil wrote: »
    I agree the photo does make it clearer that it should have been a red card. Not really visible from the video angles what contact was made and the photo clearly shows Son taking the players ankle out from behind while they were running at full speed. I would be shocked if the appeal against the ban is accepted as the tackle has now been shown to be reckless and endangering the player safety without getting the ball.

Yes looking back on it now I’m not sure how he can appeal it
    His head was gone
    He made absolutely no attempt to play the ball
    He was only interested in the man
    Therefore it was reckless and it did indeed endanger his opponent

Given sons own reaction I am suprised he has appealed
    Respect for him gone
    If he really felt that bad then 3 games is nothing compared to Gomes

And yes it was a freak but at the end of the day he went to foul him and not play the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

km79 wrote: »
    Yes looking back on it now I’m not sure how he can appeal it
    His head was gone
    He made absolutely no attempt to play the ball
    He was only interested in the man
    Therefore it was reckless and it did indeed endanger his opponent

Given sons own reaction I am suprised he has appealed
    Respect for him gone
    If he really felt that bad then 3 games is nothing compared to Gomes

And yes it was a freak but at the end of the day he went to foul him and not play the ball

Harsh on Son. It's more than likely the club appealing it rather than Son.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Harsh on Son. It's more than likely the club appealing it rather than Son.

FF may not be the forum for this, but the best solution would have been the PL rescinding it without need for appeal (just say Atkinson recognises he over reacted in the circumstances)

It's a reckless challenge, it's a yellow. It's not a red and Son has every right to appeal IMO. I've yet to hear any player or ex player say its a red.

Benimar wrote: »
    FF may not be the forum for this, but the best solution would have been the PL rescinding it without need for appeal (just say Atkinson recognises he over reacted in the circumstances)

It's a reckless challenge, it's a yellow. It's not a red and Son has every right to appeal IMO. I've yet to hear any player or ex player say its a red.

I can understand why there is some sympathy for Son but still think the three match ban should apply for what was a reckless challenge from behind with very little chance of getting the ball. From my understanding of the rules of the game that is normally a red card. It takes a lot of force to dislocate an ankle and the PL rescinding the on field decision when a player is hospitilised by the challenge would be a terrible message to send out about the game. It not only endangered the player who is now going to miss a lot of games but was cynical in stopping Everton attacking with the ball. I also do not understand why ex players should need to come out to back up the referees decision.

One of the red tops this morning talking about where this leaves Son, and questioning how he will get over it. Be interesting to see if he starts in Belgrade tomorrow.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

macraignil wrote: »
    I can understand why there is some sympathy for Son but still think the three match ban should apply for what was a reckless challenge from behind with very little chance of getting the ball. From my understanding of the rules of the game that is normally a red card. It takes a lot of force to dislocate an ankle and the PL rescinding the on field decision when a player is hospitilised by the challenge would be a terrible message to send out about the game. It not only endangered the player who is now going to miss a lot of games but was cynical in stopping Everton attacking with the ball. I also do not understand why ex players should need to come out to back up the referees decision.

That sort of challenge happens in at least one game each weekend and it’s always a yellow. Choudury on Salah probably the most recent example.

The ‘penalty’ is based on the foul (yellow card), not on the outcome. To base it on outcome opens a can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

scotchy wrote: »
    One of the red tops this morning talking about where this leaves Son, and questioning how he will get over it. Be interesting to see if he starts in Belgrade tomorrow.

Dermot Gallagher was on SSN the other day suggesting it was important Atkinson gets all the necessary support after witnessing what happened. I guffawed but in fairness Gallagher was the ref at OT when Bust had his injury and hearing him talking about it was rough, it took him years to come to terms with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,165 ✭✭✭✭km79

scotchy wrote: »

This is what is annoying me about it all tbh
    Lots of articles about Poor Son this and Poor son that
    I had a certain amount of sympathy for him until they appealed
    And there is no way it was appealed without his permission

Anyway this all prob way off topic
    I don’t think it will be rescinded

Not sure it is off topic, Son is huge in FF, if I had him in my team Id be wondering if he's going to come back from this mentally. How will he handle the next tackle he has to make. Spurs were already on a downward spiral. There is a possibility of them not having Kane or Son available against Lundstram.

Sorry for being so crass after what happened to Gomes, FF has turned me into this.:mad:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The red card won’t be rescinded, given they watched it on video and decided it was a red card. All they’ll be doing is watching it on video again.

km79 wrote: »
    This is what is annoying me about it all tbh
    Lots of articles about Poor Son this and Poor son that
    I had a certain amount of sympathy for him until they appealed
    And there is no way it was appealed without his permission

Anyway this all prob way off topic
    I don’t think it will be rescinded

It's not off topic. People are discussing a player who is facing suspension in an injuries and suspensions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Almost all red cards are appealed these days it seems, looks like it's the standard practice. Is there any cost to doing so? Or extra-penalty if it's upheld?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Almost all red cards are appealed these days it seems, looks like it's the standard practice. Is there any cost to doing so? Or extra-penalty if it's upheld?

One extra game for a frivolous appeal. Given that most people who watched the whole incident back seem to think a yellow was the correct call, I certainly don’t think they have grounds to increase it anyway.

One extra game for a frivolous appeal. Given that most people who watched the whole incident back seem to think a yellow was the correct call, I certainly don’t think they have grounds to increase it anyway.

I agree you could view the incident as a yellow card when seen from a distance. The replays shown on BBC Match of the Day made me agree with the pundits on the show commenting that they felt it should have been yellow. If they only saw the replays that were broadcast then I can see where they are coming from. The still photo of Son hitting the ankle of Gomes from behind posted earlier in the thread makes the red card much easier to understand and after seeing the photo and the replays I think it is a deserved red.

It happened so fast I can see the reason for some confusion and I see no problem with an appeal because of the disagreement raised. With all the evidence I have seen taken together I can't see the three match ban been reduced. Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

That sort of challenge happens in at least one game each weekend and it’s always a yellow. Choudury on Salah probably the most recent example.

The ‘penalty’ is based on the foul (yellow card), not on the outcome. To base it on outcome opens a can of worms.

Exactly this. In terms of fantasy football, if that is adjudged to be a red card and ban after the appeal, we should all get used to a lot more minus scores for players in the fantasy.

Even the Choudury challenge mentioned was a far worse challenge, more force and a bit higher on the leg iirc. The amount of times a player will do exactly what Son did and injure the opponent badly is 1 in 10k or something ridiculous! The outcome of the challenge can't and should not have been used as a deciding factor in the red card. If Gomes had got up and taken the free kick himself a minute later, does anyone think that it would ever be more than a yellow card challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

McBain11 wrote: »

Even the Choudury challenge mentioned was a far worse challenge, more force and a bit higher on the leg iirc. The amount of times a player will do exactly what Son did and injure the opponent badly is 1 in 10k or something ridiculous! The outcome of the challenge can't and should not have been used as a deciding factor in the red card. If Gomes had got up and taken the free kick himself a minute later, does anyone think that it would ever be more than a yellow card challenge?

Ignore the rules for a second, Son made no attempt to get the ball - his sole aim was to take down Gomez - no one can argue with that. Even if it's 1 in 1m chance of a freak injury - why should any player have the right take a player down and make no attempt to play the ball without facing a possible red card?

Now you say the tackle is only a yellow - the outcome can't and should not be considered is your argument yet if a player is running through on goal with only keeper to beat and is taken down by a "yellow card" tackle - the potential outcome is considered. It could be a goal, therefore it's a red card.

Finally if it's clearly not a red card - VAR could have just overruled the ref, which we have seen numerous times over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ignore the rules for a second, Son made no attempt to get the ball - his sole aim was to take down Gomez - no one can argue with that. Even if it's 1 in 1m chance of a freak injury - why should any player have the right take a player down and make no attempt to play the ball without facing a possible red card?

Now you say the tackle is only a yellow - the outcome can't and should not be considered is your argument yet if a player is running through on goal with only keeper to beat and is taken down by a "yellow card" tackle - the potential outcome is considered. It could be a goal, therefore it's a red card.

Finally if it's clearly not a red card - VAR could have just overruled the ref, which we have seen numerous times over the weekend.

You can take a player down by slide tackling or pulling a player down using arms. It happens constantly in football matches. It is almost always intentional also, as in it's a cynical foul. Any of these instances where the fouled player is brought to ground could possibly result in an injury. The chances of it are low though and that's why refs look at such fouls and adjudge whether it's just a cynical foul (as Sons was imo) or whether the foul is reckless (Choudury as an example was imo).

If Son makes that exact tackle time and time again, there would be no injury to the opposing player. It was a freak accident. If refs are going to give red cards based on the resulting injury to the fouled player they are simply going rogue. There is absolutely nothing about such a thing in the laws of the game.

Advertisement