Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

You can download an app and get a obd ii, it can tell you the condition of the battery, usually when serviced, Toyota do a battery report also, hybrids are around for ages, bullet proof , I think if you service the car every year with Toyota they extend warranty on it up to 10 or 15 years, worse comes to worse its possible to swap out damage cells rather than dump the battery, done deal have a few adds for hybrid repairs.

You wont get much better than diesel economy with it, but it wont have associated diesel problems like clogged dpf's.

The battery is there to recover energy from braking and idling, to drive the car at low speeds and to assist the engine, thereby using less fuel.

it takes care of itself not much you can do, it will never drain or overcharge, battery will be kept at optimal levels.

I had 2, Honda insight and Lexus ct, both good cars, I have moved on to plug in hybrids with double the economy, only difference is a bigger battery/motor and a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,083 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@kanuseeme - You missed the stages of innovator, early adopter and almost even early majority. But maybe you will eventually own a battery electric vehicle. There's still the late majority and the laggards you could join ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I live too far from Dublin to be wasting time on charging in Dublin or between home and there, nothing to be gained from an EV atm, too expensive to buy one with range, too much time wasted on a long trip charging with a cheaper EV, for the sake of 30 euro's worth of petrol it's not worth it, present phev only cost me 10000, I last filled it in December 65 euro and should last me till the end of this month or longer, all my usually trips done with little to no petrol. I do not see the point of spending 40k just to save a couple of hundred euro on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In 2016 there was no Hybrid Corolla's in the EU market sold by Toyota, the model they are looking at is likely a Japanese or possibly Singaporian import. He may be able to bring it to a Toyota dealer to get a hybrid health check on the hybrid battery, if they can I'd highly recommend doing this prior to purchase to confirm there's no issues with the battery. I believe it was 2019 when Hybrid became an option in the EU sold Corolla's.

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Only charging at 11kw ....

So I signed up with Ecars and brought my new Ioniq 5 to my local 22kw charger expecting it to charge at 22kw! But it didn't. Only charged at 11kw!

Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Very few cars can charge st 22kw ac.

Zoe,well older ones can anyway. Some Teslas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did they not explain charging when you bought it? Of course they didn't.

AC charging is limited to the cars 'on board charger, so in your case teh max you can AC charge at is 11kW

DC charging is where you should be seeing the high speeds.

You're lucky! Early EVs like the Leaf and my Fluence can only charge at 3kW (16A single phase). Very few cars can AC charge at 22kW (32A 3 phase), my Tesla Model S with optional dual AC chargers can.

The norm is 7kW (32A single phase) these days and several newer cars can charge at 11kW (16A 3 phase), like your Ioniq 5

• Advertisement

So that puts an end to my plan to stop for an hour for lunch at an AC charger and add the 100km I need to reach West Kerry. Looks like I'll need a DC charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

Sorry @unkel to correct a bit here. Most of EV post 2020 are 3phase16A so 11kW. Most that sell in big numbers anyway. MEBs, Koreans old and new platforms, Tesla. Single phase have I believe Stellantis retrofits, MG, Mazda, Honda but most of car manufacturers are ditching single phase for EVs. Even the new Toyota or new Nissan will have 11kW

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Cupra280

Quick question about Over Stay charges at ESB eCars stations.

Is it correct that the Over Stay fee only applies to DC chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

and Fast AC. The 43kW AC plug you find at the triples

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

If you're going to Killarney and need to charge, you would either charge on the way, eg. in Birdhill if coming from Dublin, or you can stay at a hotel that offers charge points. If you're staying in Killarney for a few days you could also use a fast or standard charge point in the town.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Regarding the trip to Killarney, If you didn't have a guaranteed charge waiting for you down there (hotel/holiday home etc..), then the idea would be to stop somewhere along the way (closer to destination the better) and take on a fast charge to top the battery up as much as possible before arriving (your battery would be warm after a long drive, so would therefore take on fast charge even faster). We went from North Dublin to Killarney last year, and stopped in Birdhill and topped up to about 95%, think we arrived in Killarney at about 45%. We took on an opportunistic fast charge in a local garage up to about 80% as we knew we'd be driving the mountains the following day. Drove over to Kenmare, and stopped in for coffee and there happened to be an available fast charger so took on 30% over about 15 minutes. That was enough to get us back up to Birdhill the following day.

Theres an AC charger in a carpark in the town centre we also plugged into for a bit (but honestly it was more for the parking spot), and took on about 10% or so.

Likewise for any other trips we've done, I'll always take any opportunistic charges I can get either along the way, or when I'm there as you never know when the next charger is going to be busy or broken, and it seems to have served us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It also applies if you are plugged in to the AC points on these chargers

This is IEVOA chairperson Simon Acton's contribution to the panel discussion on empowering EV startups at the London EV Show 2021, where he talks about his own company, next eco car, which you can visit at nextecocar.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I might have missed it but do you have some affiliation to the above group posting all the videos from there channel.

How do I look after the EV Battery?

For 10 or 11 months of the year I'll be doing only 100-200km a week in my new 58kw (say 300km) Ioniq 5. My granny charger on night rate can manage about 30% battery recharge per night.

So the question is should I charge in a certain way to help maintain the battery. Hyundai suggest letting drop to 20% then charge to 100% but some online advice suggests only charge to 80%. I have a multitude of options and no idea which one is best or if it even matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

How easy is it to steal an EV? Or to prevent its theft?

I park outside my house, but don't have a driveway...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭verizon

Just to follow on to my previous query. I emailed the hotel I am going to be staying in about charging points, they don't currently have one (I knew this already) but they did offer to have a charging point installed in their carpark. I'm not sure if I'll have my EV by then but I said that would be great if they can :)

Just charge as you need it. Don't worry about looking after the battery. It is unnecessary. The battery is already well protected by the BMS (battery management system). Whatever you do, it won't have any material impact on your range or the state of health of your battery. Just the one thing: don't leave your car fully charged for weeks or months on end. That's not great. Apart from that, don't worry about it, just enjoy your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s not good for some kinds of batteries to be left fully charged or nearly discharged for long. This is why the 20%-80% advice came into effect. Newer cars have a BMS feature which lies to it in order to protect the battery. If it says the battery is fully charged, it’s not. There’s a reserve left at the top so it won’t ever be fully charged. As unkel says, trust the BMS and it will look after the gory battery details for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Art2013

Hi I’m new to this site.. Just purchased an Ioniq 5 ..73kw premium .., a couple of questions.. how do I know this model has a heat pump and how do I know it’s working? I have Bluelink app .. by the way not user friendly.. but negotiating it better now…two weeks in and charging using Zappi at home.. not charging up to anything close to 481km at 100 % .. come out in morning it’s at 340km another morning 402km.. is this normal? Car is really nice to drive.. just these concerns.. also I read that a 77.4 km battery on the way in Feb/ March.. our 73.6 Kw has 2 of the 32 cells unused.. so only using 30 cells presently in the car.. can we get these working to increase our range? Will Hyundai do this for us? Why did they leave this early 2022 purchaser short?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It's based on your cars onboard charger.

11 is good, lots of cars are only single phase 7kw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

not charging up to anything close to 481km at 100 % .. come out in morning it’s at 340km another morning 402km.. is this normal?

it’s normal that it changes a bit based on the outside temperature.

the type of driving done in the last few trips also affect it.

you are showing quite a large range though. Not sure about that. Maybe you are comparing a warm day with easy driving vs a frosty morning or something.

also I read that a 77.4 km battery on the way in Feb/ March.. our 73.6 Kw has 2 of the 32 cells unused.. so only using 30 cells presently in the car.. can we get these working to increase our range? Will Hyundai do this for us? Why did they leave this early 2022 purchaser short?

I think you might have misread that. There are rumours they plan to add 2 cells to new cars. You don’t have two unused cells in your car so what you got you got and that’s that.

cars get improved and specs change all the time.

Advertisement