Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/Virgin equipment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

5.5 We will make every effort to site the
    Equipment in a location of your
    choice and will endeavour to comply
    with any reasonable requests you
    may have regarding the routing of
    cables. However in some instances
    this may not be possible, for
    technical and other reasons, and if
    this is the case then we will indicate
    to you what alternative
    arrangements for cable routing (if
    any) we can make. If, for any reason,
    we are unable to route the cable or
    you do not accept our routing
    proposal, this Agreement shall
    terminate, provided that where the
    cabling relates only to the provision
    of certain Services, this Agreement
    may, at our option, terminate in
    relation to those Services only....

This seems to be opt out clause. Though might be difficult getting services in the future if you do....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

That equipment is very old and may very well be inactive. All equipment in that picture has been out of network spec for well over a decade now.
    Still some network equipment out there that gets forgotten about or left in place after it's been deactivated.

Virgin have a forum in the "Talk to" section on Boards. Might be a less painful option than 1908 to get someone out to your house to confirm if in use or not, removal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What do those boxes do...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

I was wiring a building in Dublin city centre about 12 years ago. There was a plug top plugged into a socket in one of the rooms we were working in and the wire was going out through the window which was left ajar.

I thought it was feeding a flood light and that it was done as a temporary job but when I traced the wire I found that it was feeding a little enclosure with a circuit breaker in it which in turn fed a booster of some sort for UPC. I asked the person who ran the building how long that it had been left like that and he said he'd been there 14 years and it was done before he arrived.

I told him that it couldn't be left like it was and that there needed to be a permanent job done. I also said that at a minimum there should be a check meter put on it and that the electricity cost should be covered but that after at least 14 years of free power UPC would more than likely provide free broadband and TV through the building.

We tried to make contact with someone in UPC who knew what we were talking about but got no joy so one morning I plugged it out. Around lunchtime 2 fellas appeared from UPC and were a bit unhappy and a bit aggressive when I told them that I plugged it out. Then I told them that I wouldn't plug it back in because it was a botch job, their attitude changed and they promised anything to get it back on. There was about a square mile of the city without broadband or TV including a couple of top end hotels.

The fella running the building asked me to get them going and to make provision for a more permanent job. He had them over a barrel but he didn't want to push things. In the end we wired a proper supply out to it whicn UPC weren't billed for, there was no meter put on it so they continued to get free power and up until I left the job, a few months later, UPC hadn't offered them free TV or broadband or anything.

From what I have seen working around Dublin UPC/NTL/RTE Relays (and the other few names in between) did a lot of temporary jobs which wouldn't be allowed these days and if its pointed out to them (and the equipment is important enough) they will be very facilitating. The standard offer years ago was free analogue TV but now that i is gone I don't know what they offer.

If you push them too much they will remove everything and you will get nothing from them. I saw it happen in one house and the owner now can't get broadband from them because he made them remove the wire from the front of his house. After seeing what they did in the city centre building I wouldn't be their biggest fan but I think they are reasonable enough to deal with when you are ok with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Has anyone heard anything about the long waited Virgin STB, Horizon is just a farce at this stage.

I don’t want to move to sky while keeping Virgin for broadband but they’re making it inevitable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Thats a question worth a different thread, I think. We don’t drag up old threads and certainly not to change the subject

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement