Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/Virgin equipment

Options
  • 29-07-2019 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all

I hope this is the right forum - just purchased a house and I noticed the below equipment on the side ? (See pic) - I’m wondering if this is upc / virgin equipment ? I’m currently not a subscriber but if it is I’ll be asking them to remove it unless they give me a reason to keep it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Hi all

I hope this is the right forum - just purchased a house and I noticed the below equipment on the side ? (See pic) - I’m wondering if this is upc / virgin equipment ? I’m currently not a subscriber but if it is I’ll be asking them to remove it unless they give me a reason to keep it

Sorry , with picture

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to cable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Yes, looks like cable TV/broadband junction box.

You can't have it removed, that would effectively cut the connection to everyone else on the same circuit downstream of your house.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Yes, looks like cable TV/broadband junction box.

You can't have it removed, that would effectively cut the connection to everyone else on the same circuit downstream of your house.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it

Of course I can have it removed - they have their equipment on my property , either they incentivise me to keep it or I remove it, not up to me to ensure everyone else in the estate receives it

Anyone have experience in dealing with Virgin with respect to to this - know who to reach out too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it

Of course I can have it removed - they have their equipment on my property , either they incentivise me to keep it or I remove it, not up to me to ensure everyone else in the estate receives it

Anyone have experience in dealing with Virgin with respect to to this - know who to reach out too?

Did you buy the property with it installed? If so, then you cant get it removed unless you pay Virgin to relocate it. Happened to us with an ESB junction box in our driveway. We wanted to expand the driveway entrance to allow two cars access without moving the other one but ESB wanted thousands just to move a small box the size of a large cereal box. When it was being installed the initial property owner or the developer would have granted a right of way which attaches to the property.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Did you buy the property with it installed? If so, then you cant get it removed unless you pay Virgin to relocate it. Happened to us with an ESB junction box in our driveway. We wanted to expand the driveway entrance to allow two cars access without moving the other one but ESB wanted thousands just to move a small box the size of a large cereal box.

Thanks for the reply - yes, bought the house with the equipment there

Tbh either I charge them a fee for having it on my property or they remove it - I have no obligation to “house” their equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Tbh either I charge them a fee for having it on my property or they remove it - I have no obligation to “house” their equipment

You bought the house that way so unfortunately youre stuck with it. If that was the case people could dig up electricity cables, sewers and all sorts of pipes and hold the councils to ransom to get them moved. Services and utilities infrastructure cannot work that way.

You wont get anywhere but youre obviously entitled to try!

Hogzy wrote: »
    You bought the house that way so unfortunately youre stuck with it. If that was the case people could dig up electricity cables, sewers and all sorts of pipes and hold the councils to ransom to get them moved. Services and utilities infrastructure cannot work that way.

You wont get anywhere but youre obviously entitled to try!

It’s not the council though - this is Virgin/UPC not water or sewage services

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There would have been a wayleave agreement with the previous owners. This should have been included with the documents for the house.

Usually Virgin will be very accommodating to anyone who has the equipment in place in terms of giving free broadband/TV etc.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There would have been a wayleave agreement with the previous owners. This should have been included with the documents for the house.

Usually Virgin will be very accommodating to anyone who has the equipment in place in terms of giving free broadband/TV etc.

Thanks for the reply - definitely no agreement with deeds etc

I’ll let them leave it there for a free fully loaded service

• Advertisement

The process is usually to contact the call centre who get an area manager to visit you and discuss.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The process is usually to contact the call centre who get an area manager to visit you and discuss.

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Cheers !

It’s classified under the provision of general services and you’re obliged to allow them pass the service through. If you insist you can have it moved at your own cost although they’re normally obliging and like to reach a compromise for goodwill.

Looking for a ‘fully loaded’ service for free is not reciprocal goodwill so go down that route and they might just agree to move it, pass you the bill and you can pis* off your new neighbours at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Rosser wrote: »
    It’s classified under the provision of general services and you’re obliged to allow them pass the service through. If you insist you can have it moved at your own cost although they’re normally obliging and like to reach a compromise for goodwill.

Looking for a ‘fully loaded’ service for free is not reciprocal goodwill so go down that route and they might just agree to move it, pass you the bill and you can pis* off your new neighbours at the same time.

That.

I know if someone moves into my estate and tried to hold everyone else's TV and broadband to ransom they'd quickly regret it.

As well as not being likely to get you anything it is an utterly selfish attitude to have.

Instead of looking at the box on the wall and seeing something to leverage something you are not entitled to you be grateful that it means you have easy access to internet speeds many people in this country will never be able to get.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That.

I know if someone moves into my estate and tried to hold everyone else's TV and broadband to ransom they'd quickly regret it.

As well as not being likely to get you anything it is an utterly selfish attitude to have.

Instead of looking at the box on the wall and seeing something to leverage something you are not entitled to you be grateful that it means you have easy access to internet speeds many people in this country will never be able to get.

Your aggression is mind blowing

I’m not “obliged” to facilitate nor is moving the cost of their equipment my responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think I would ask to see what was agreed with upc/VM. Also if VM honoured it with the previous or current owner.

Do they still send bills. Do they try to claim that their annual increases are not included in the original agreement, or changes in services like faster speeds or more channels.

We don’t know what’s on the OPs property. It sounds like it’s more than the usual co-ax cables, often there’s amps, distribution boards, nodes etc which require visits from engineers, sometimes up ladders etc. it’s only right the householder gets compensated for this.

Thanks for the replies ,-appreciate it

Usually they do this because it cheaper than going underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Such a bad attitude. What's the exact problem with it on your property? It's common to see infrastructure like this on the sides of houses, especially in older Dublin suburbs. A satellite dish at the front/side of house looks worse to be honest. Have you even considered that you yourself may even want to subscribe to Virgin broadband in the future? It's generally better than what most providers offer currently.

By all means approach Virgin, but be nice about. They may offer you a free basic TV subscription to keep it there.

• Advertisement

I assume most people are unhappy there is something on their property they don't have full control off.

VM should have a standard contract for this kinda stuff and not be haggling about deals like some shady backstreet trader. So that people know exactly what happens with these installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

What would happen if the op wanted to put external insulation or something similar where the equipment is?

beauf wrote: »
    I assume most people are unhappy there is something on their property they don't have full control off.

VM should have a standard contract for this kinda stuff and not be haggling about deals like some shady backstreet trader. So that people know exactly what happens with these installations.

Yes, you see my point. To be honest the purpose of the thread was to establish if this is virgin equipment and what other ppl in a similar situation have done

These latter points stating I ignore it or it’s providing a service as irrelevant - my property , I decide what goes on it. Upc should have put underground , not stuck on my house as it’s cheaper - why should I facilitate them? Comparable to putting a mast on a tower - they pay rent. Not exploit private property to boost their bottom linw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

your property you decide, its not essential service, they want to keep it up. either incentive or pack up and move it next house down the lane.

Don't get this pi$$y attitude about what can and cant be on someone's private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

scamalert wrote: »
    your property you decide, its not essential service, they want to keep it up. either incentive or pack up and move it next house down the lane.

Don't get this pi$$y attitude about what can and cant be on someone's private property.

The OP bought the property with the equipment in situ. It's probably there decades.

I think the attitude is coming from the OP demanding it be removed, or if they pay it can stay in place. The equipment is non intrusive and provides services to neighbouring properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I’m not “obliged” to facilitate nor is moving the cost of their equipment my responsibility

You might be, if a previous owner of the property signed a wayleave giving UPC/Virgin permission to install the equipment on the properly, typically these agreements claim to be binding on later owners of the Properties.

Also, they tend to get lost, you might ask Virgin for a copy of the agreement.

Also, they tend to get lost, you might ask Virgin for a copy of the agreement.

They could make anything up then. How would you know. The original owner might not have keep a copy though. Should ask both parties for a copy.

JDxtra wrote: »
    The OP bought the property with the equipment in situ. It's probably there decades.

I think the attitude is coming from the OP demanding it be removed, or if they pay it can stay in place. The equipment is non intrusive and provides services to neighbouring properties.

It's only done to save money burying it. If you think the Homeowner should host it for free, it would be interesting to see how much free stuff VM are willing to to provide to anyone. Zilch. And that's a company making millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

beauf wrote: »
    They could make anything up then. How would you know. The original owner might not have keep a copy though. Should ask both parties for a copy.

If Virgin don't have a copy, then OP could legitimally claim there is no wayleave, and demand the equipment be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

This has cropped up a number of times over the years on boards.

A few posters have pointed out that once you sign up to Virgin as a customer the terms and conditions include a wayleave going onto your property. This wayleave is permanent and doesn't get cancelled when you leave virgin.#

From their terms and conditions.

Access and Installation
    5.1 Our obligation to provide the
    Services and Equipment depends on
    our obtaining the necessary
    licences, wayleaves, consents, or
    other permissions to enable us to
    provide you with the Services. We
    shall have no liability whatsoever to
    provide you with the Services and
    Equipment if they cannot be
    obtained. Any suggested date of