Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Tights..................... With shorts...........

And you loved it.....

In a pub :eek:

Damn I missed out by a year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

In a pub :eek:

Damn I missed out by a year!!!

Had a fun year that year running around Dublin with my support pack. Went straight to the pub after covering several miles. Good Times. Then B tried to ply me with alcohol in the hope I'd go home with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Then B tried to ply me with alcohol in the hope I'd go home with him.

Went 0 for 3 that day, you, skyblue46 and WW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

MY BAD wrote: »
    Shorts over tights is worse. Almost as bad as white stocks with black runners :pac:

:eek::eek:

Monday 18.1.21

Rest Day, home schooling our eldest. Have a huge new found respect for teachers because of Covid.

Tuesday 19.1.21

9.35miles Easy@8.28min/miles in 1hr 19mins 14secs

Absolutely wild day here in Den Haag, I ran an out and back route towards the Meijendal I figured would be sheltered enough, was no shelter out there from the wind & rain. Lovely run all the same!!

Wednesday 20.1.21

7.40miles Easy@8.27min/miles in 62mins 36secs

A dry but windy run today up and around by the International Criminal Court and home. Feeling good again, bounce in the step!

Thursday 21.1.21

5.60miles Easy@8.27min/miles in 47mins 21secs

Out after a days training in work, bitterly cold and wet winters evening out. Was glad to get home and showered to get some warmth back into the body.

Friday 22.1.21

9.30miles Easy@8.22min/miles in 1hr 17mins54secs

A bitter sunny morning, perfect running weather!! One of my more usual routes heading for Scheveningen onto Oostduinpark and back home via the city. I don’t think there will ever become a time here where a run is boring route wise.

Saturday 23.1.21

8.05miles Easy@8.19min/miles in 67mind 04secs

Same run as previous day only with a bit taken off, why would a man run in 3/4 length tights and pink ankle socks!!! Don’t even think Swashbuckler would resort to a look like that!!!

Sunday 24.1.21

5.60miles Easy@8.30min/miles in 47mins 35secs

Same as Thursday evenings loop only a bit slower, crazy amount of people out and about. A curfew was introduced the night before, not like people had been locked up for weeks!!! Passed by a few playgrounds that were just stupidly busy!!

45.30 miles for my week and third week on the trot with 45+ miles in the legs. Not mind boggling stuff or running of any real quality but I’m not looking to peak anytime soon for racing. Happy to keep doing what I’m doing for another 3 weeks or so then introduce some sessions. The waist definitely has seen the benefits of the last 3 weeks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What time is the curfew in place for?

Pink socks are definitely a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Pink socks are definitely a stretch

Depends on the colour of the runners :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Curfew?!! I know it's not the same thing but central/eastern Europe and the word curfew fills me with dread (especially having just been watching a movie about Milada Horáková's life).

I really wish they'd get their finger out with the vaccine roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I really wish they'd get their finger out with the vaccine roll out.

Not to extend another pandemic chat in a log, but I'm a glass half full kind person and I'm concerned that this virus will mutate and fight us, since its an all year round, global, across seasons and tundra. Also a point that Swashbuckler made about project schedules is valid in that I think Governments are being overly optimistic about vaccine rollout (4m by Aug!) to understandably calm anxiety caused by the numbers spit out like the chiming clock, chaos they are creating with education and support services etc.. Its a vicious circle if ever I saw one.

Hopefully the vaccine will work against the developing strains too and meet that deadline this autumn. Next time I can realistically plan a European City marathon, I'll relish the experience to explore it as much as the marathon itself. If we come out of this, the experience of the big city marathons will be something special.

• Advertisement

MY BAD wrote: »
    What time is the curfew in place for?

9pm-4.30am, three nights of rioting all over the Netherlands as a result!!!

Monday 25.1.21

Rest Day, home schooling the Troops before nights started.

Tuesday 26.1.21

8.55miles Easy@8.22min/miles in 1hr 11mins 36secs

Maybe 3 hours decent sleep before a few coffees and got out for this. Out along the cycle paths through the dunes to Kijkduin. A glorious afternoon for a run, not many others out enjoying the conditions which was surprising. Felt so good on this despite the limited sleep.

Wednesday 27.1.21

7.80miles Easy@8.22min/miles in 65mins 24secs

Less sleep than night before as a business premises a few doors down is being refurbished so drilling all day!! Still no issues getting out to do this though which is very encouraging. A run on autopilot on a familiar route. I know I can survive on very limited sleep from years of experience doing it, but as I get older it’s not something I enjoy. Can have a knock on effect on the mind.

Thursday 28.1.21

7.10miles Easy@8.15min/miles in 58mins 40secs

May as well not have bothered getting into bed, maybe an hour!! Out mid afternoon to do this on a dreary day, bit like my mood. Still no issues motivation wise to get out. Same route as previous day with a little taken off. Thankfully got back to bed early evening before work to catch up on some Zzzzz.

Minuscule sleep but it’s not affecting my enthusiasm to get out for a run. Saturday morning can’t come soon enough to see the end of nights till April again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair play B. I Find it hard to sleep at night, never mind during the day. Good to see it doesn’t affect your enthusiasm. The building noise would kill it completely for me. Do you use earplugs or anything else?

Lavender on his pillow I've heard.....

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play B. I Find it hard to sleep at night, never mind during the day. Good to see it doesn’t affect your enthusiasm. The building noise would kill it completely for me. Do you use earplugs or anything else?

Na, can’t stand anything that doesn’t belong naturally in my ears. Quiet sensitive about them(ARtist in the Spotlight shed the light why). It’s the last night so the sleep will return to normal tomorrow night.

Friday 29.1.21

6.25miles Progression@7.26min/miles in 46mins 31secs

Another bad sleep but no drop in the want to run!! Out late afternoon to do this afternoon L got home. Plan was to work down to current Tempo pace for this and see how it felt. The progression through the miles felt smooth & effortless despite Garmins joke of watch HR saying otherwise. I wanted to go for longer but also wanted to get a few hours more sleep before work. The sleep won out this time!!

Saturday 30.1.21

5.45miles Easy@8.17min/miles in 45mins 17secs

Busy day, up early so my sleep pattern wouldn’t be all over the place. L had a busy day running around doing stuff while I entertained the children and there friends. Got out approaching 5pm and had to be back by 6pm as we had a visitor coming. It was -4 real feel out and I was bouncing off the pavement, feeling really good.

Half way through I get a shout “Barry are you crazy!!”, look up it’s my boss. He remarks “I thought you were crazy wearing short sleeves all the time, now I know you are running in shorts”. He gives out how cold it is and shakes his head as we depart “Crazy Irishman”. He’s from Lithuania which gets much colder than Ireland, maybe I am crazy!!

Sunday 31.1.21

Rest Day, the Big Man was having friends over for his birthday so no run was planned. His day.

35.15 miles for the week, I had always planned this as a down week but with 40 miles running to it. I’ll not scold myself over it, I didn’t run 35 miles for the month of November, coming from that 35 is ok on a down week. Back to normality this week.

Drop edinrunna a few questions in the thread below folks, he’s new enough to the place so please make him feel welcome.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058155461/2/#post116130657

Thought I updated this last week, feck!!

Monday 1.2.21

6.30miles Easy@8.26min/miles in 53mins 09secs

Tiredness at its peak after week of nights, an enjoyable plod nonetheless. Big Man’s 10th!!!

Tuesday 2.2.21

8.70miles Easy@8.26min/miles in 1hr 13mins 26secs + Hills

Recce for shotgunmcos February challenge, two highest points here are two dunes named De Vulkaan(The Volcano) and Haagse Piek which both top out at 110ft approximately. Only draw back is it’s soft sand up, down and surrounding both!!

Wednesday 3.3.21

3.75miles Recovery@8.49min/miles in 33mins 06secs

Legs weren’t my friends today after yesterday, hate see what they are like after pushing them a bit!!

Thursday 4.2.21

9.45miles Easy@8.20min/miles in 1hr 18mins 45secs

Couldn’t have gotten a better day for running, cool, calm and sun shining off the North Sea as I ran out to Kijkduin and back. Lovely run.

Friday 5.2.21

7.70miles Easy@8.24min/miles in 64mins 40secs

A run in both rain and sun, delightfully soaked by the rain then to be dried by the sun.

Saturday 6.2.21

11.25miles Endurance@7.40min/miles in 1hr 26mins 12secs

The usual Saturday morning route, this was supposed to be 3 easy with 8 alternating. Done 4 easy because I can’t count then 7 alternating. Another lovely run on a cool, chilly morning.

Sunday 7.2.21

Rest Day, loads of snow!!

47.15 miles for the week, very happy with that coming off limited sleep the previous week. Nothing special again but it’s a vast improvement on where I was a few months back. Have to try eradicate the periods I tend to loose focus, keep it consistent as that’s not very difficult to do.

Week of 8.2.21 to 14.2.21 was spent indoors on the turbo trainer, varying periods of between 20mins to an hour were done. There was more skiing and skating going on along the streets than any running!!

The snow made everything lethal for running, it still is, I came off the bike at 6.20am this morning cycling to work due to frozen roads. Slid a good 20/30 feet but thankfully my wet trousers protected me, outside of my left knee took a good bang off the ground.

Will see what it’s like to run later or else it’s the turbo for one more day!!!

https://youtu.be/-hSsl3il37s

An idea of what it’s been like here the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

the big question is how are your double axles and triple lutz's coming along!? :)

healy1835 wrote: »
    the big question is how are your double axles and triple lutz's coming along!? :)

I do a mean triple salchow J!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

soften your tyres for cycling on snow, frost, ice...

OOnegative wrote: »
    outside of my left knee took a good bang off the ground.

So that bang turned into really nasty swelling, receded for a day. Ran and the pain returned minus swelling, a day on the Turbo then and another run. Outside of the left knee is bruised and coloured green/yellow and swollen again after that run yesterday. As I said on Strava, I think it’s only a bad bone bruise but I’m not a physio!!

I’m going to take the weekend off to let the pain/swelling ease off. I’m hopeful it’s not anything serious but not willing to put added stress on the knock and turn it into an issue.

It’s promised to be 15/16 degrees over the weekend so family walks & a cycle maybe depending on how the leg is.

No excuses this time, being smart for once hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How's the knee now, B?

Murph_D wrote: »
    How's the knee now, B?

It’s good thanks D, last weeks running started very well but a change in work footwear resulted in the toes on my left foot breaking out in blisters that turned quiet painful so ended up not running from last Thursday as result. Back on the road again so will have an update to write about later in the week.

32 miles of whatever last week!

A very very good friend of mine committed suicide at the weekend, a former fellow member of AGS. He suffered badly with depression like myself, worse if I’m honest. A younger man than me that leaned on me at times for advice.

He hadn’t reached out lately and I know why, I didn’t check in either. Rest In Peace H, never forgotten my man.

Ah man. Sorry to hear that. Awful. Hope you're doing OK. Give me a shout if you want to chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Lord that's awful. Sorry you've lost a friend and in such a tragic manner. This pandemic is so hard in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So sorry to hear that B, please accept my sincere condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to hear about your friend B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thats awful, so sorry to hear that B :(

Advertisement