Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poshest/Richest Town in Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cherryvalley Belfast used to be a very well-to-do area but I haven't been in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s a fücking kip.

Yes but according to this thread money hides well in some parts of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

While I wouldn't say it was the poshest town in Ireland, there seem's to be quite a bit of money in Dungarvan. Quite a few decent places to eat and drink, some interesting independent retailers, well kept, doesn't appear to have much of a rough element. My grandfather came from there but left it when he was young, my father would say looking when driving through it when we were kids that it was obvious why he didn't stay, I used to think it was pretty grim but now as towns go there are far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Seamai wrote: »
    While I wouldn't say it was the poshest town in Ireland, there seem's to be quite a bit of money in Dungarvan. Quite a few decent places to eat and drink, some interesting independent retailers, well kept, doesn't appear to have much of a rough element. My grandfather came from there but left it when he was young, my father would say looking when driving through it when we were kids that it was obvious why he didn't stay, I used to think it was pretty grim but now as towns go there are far worse.

Plenty of money around Dungarvan, GSK employs about 800 people and Eurofins are big employers as well. Now that doesn’t make it a rich town but there is plenty of disposable income due to this and Dungarvan people keep the money in the town whether through shopping locally and eating there. Lots of old money around also and like Kildare plenty of money around through the horse racing industry.

That being said, there’s an awful amount of rough people but they tend to congregate in the one pub in the square and it’s generally avoided by everyone else so they tend to go under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Richest - Rathkeale
    Poshest - Malahide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,504 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Surprised Dundalk never got a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Inistogue

If you never heard of it; that's the point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I guess it doesn't exactly count as a town but I think the South East Dublin region is one of the richest areas in the world if you look at median assets. Combination of old money, property, income.
    From Sandymount to Dalkey, Terenure, Ranelagh, Foxrock, Sandyford, Stillorgan, Mount Merrion, Monkstown, Ballsbridge etc...

Almost all property is over €500,000, lots of ordinary people like teachers from the countryside sitting on assets in the millions.

Very low unemployment and social housing, very high education

I know there's lots of parts of London, SF, NY, Moscow etc which would blow it out of the water, but in terms of "median" wealth as opposed to mean wealth it's probably in top 1% globally.

I guess it doesn't exactly count as a town but I think the South East Dublin region is one of the richest areas in the world if you look at median assets. Combination of old money, property, income.
    From Sandymount to Dalkey, Terenure, Ranelagh, Foxrock, Sandyford, Stillorgan, Mount Merrion, Monkstown, Ballsbridge etc...

Almost all property is over €500,000, lots of ordinary people like teachers from the countryside sitting on assets in the millions.

Very low unemployment and social housing, very high education

I know there's lots of parts of London, SF, NY, Moscow etc which would blow it out of the water, but in terms of "median" wealth as opposed to mean wealth it's probably in top 1% globally.

For example my landlady is a teacher from the countryside, owns property in places like Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Stillorgan etc. Which she bought in 70s,80s, 90s. Drives a small car like a Nissan Micra, wears ordinary clothes but is worth at least over 5 million

For example my landlady is a teacher from the countryside, owns property in places like Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Stillorgan etc. Which she bought in 70s,80s, 90s. Drives a small car like a Nissan Micra, wears ordinary clothes but is worth at least over 5 million

"By local authority area, it ranged from €32,259 in Donegal to €66,203 in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown." So south Dublin is local authority area with highest median income.

"Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown had the lowest proportion of households where the majority of gross income came from social welfare at 5.8 per cent"
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Blackrock, Donneybrook, Ballsbridge and Kiliney.

Is there a single social housing unit among them?

Plenty. Donnybrook has only been gentrified in the last 50 years. Brookfield is one fairly rough council estate in Blackrock. Killiney has the leafy Cromlech Fields, where the dogs go around in packs because its safer

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Attended a wedding in kilcar ( just outside killybegs) back in 2013, herself and I stayed in killybegs itself and the ( blow in taxi driver from Cork) informed us that half the population of killybegs " are millionaires " ?

I know that donegal folk are smart operators but that seemed on the high side

There are more millionaires per head of population in killybegs compared to Hollywood apparently. Massive fishing town, a lot of money has been made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kerosene wrote: »
    There are more millionaires per head of population in killybegs compared to Hollywood apparently. Massive fishing town, a lot of money has been made there.

I wasn't exactly believing the story myself but the guy was very amusing telling it

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

It’s a fücking kip.

Its working town, ten times more money tied up on the quays in Killybegs than all the yacht clubs in Ireland and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Three points against that arguement.

1. Newbridge
    2. Prosperous
    3. Allenwood

Is there no rich people in Prosperous?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ireland has become a very wealthy country in the past 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mariaalice wrote: »
    Ireland has become a very wealthy country in the past 30 years.

Well it has become easier to borrow money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Richest - Rathkeale
    Poshest - Malahide

I dont think anything on the north side qualify versus killiney/Dalkey

Why I like the likes of Howth , Clontarf, Sutton, Malahide.

They are rich but not Posh.

Maybe Sutton a bit posh , no even pub in Sutton says everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is there no rich people in Prosperous?

It's a trap

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cousin of mine lives in Dun Laoghaire, was up there at a party he had at the house and the neighbours seems to be fairly posh.

Now how rich they were behind it all is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Cousin of mine lives in Dun Laoghaire, was up there at a party he had at the house and the neighbours seems to be fairly posh.

Now how rich they were behind it all is another story.

In fairness. Dun Laoghaire one of the rare well.mixed communities on the south coast stretch.

dave 27 wrote: »
    Blackrock Co Louth should be on the list somewhere.

Definitely not. 15 years ago maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It’s a fücking kip.

Far from it.

Advertisement