Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poshest/Richest Town in Ireland?

Options

Comments

On Galway ones:
    Oranmore definitely used to be one of the wealthiest towns in Ireland (lots of wealthier candidates were counted as suburbs of Dublin rather than towns in their own right).
    Lots of houses built over the past 20 years have probably brought down the average but it still above average.
    Kinvara has taken its place as the commuter town to Galway for the well healed.
    Clifden is nice but I doubt it is all that rich - just touristy.
    It isn't close enough to Galway for the wealthy to commute.
    Salthill/Taylor's Hill are wealthy but are suburbs of Galway rather than distinctive towns. Knocknacarragh is a big housing estate - nothing special about it.
    Barna is a mix of nice houses and expensive estates, probably wealthier than average but again nothing all that distinctive or special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Towns/villages:

Oranmore
    Knocknacarra
    Newcastle

:pac: you're having a laugh with these three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

L1011 wrote: »
    Celbridge and Maynooth are second and third richest. Neither is posh; celbridge particularly not. The two don't go hand in hand

From what I see a lot of young professionals who grew up in these areas working in multinationals on high income. Most of them seem to be choosing to settle down in North Kildare too. I guess property is also cheaper to buy in (not by much) than many parts of Dublin

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Roscommon town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

:pac: you're having a laugh with these three

The older estates in Oranmore would have some older well-off families, but all the new estates are mainly young couples anymore, with modest enough incomes. You won't exactly see too many ferraris around the place! :pac:

certainly wouldn't associate Oranmore with "posh" in a million years anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

jr86 wrote: »
    The older estates in Oranmore would have some older well-off families, but all the new estates are mainly young couples anymore, with modest enough incomes. You won't exactly see too many ferraris around the place! :pac:

certainly wouldn't associate Oranmore with "posh" in a million years anyway :D

Yeah I grew up near Oranmore and have lived in Newcastle & Knocknacarra too.

Knocknacarra has got the most social problems out of those 3 and things will get a lot worse there too, no proper planning for the massive population there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    From what I see a lot of young professionals who grew up in these areas working in multinationals on high income. Most of them seem to be choosing to settle down in North Kildare too. I guess property is also cheaper to buy in (not by much) than many parts of Dublin

Plenty of Double Intel income households that can have a lot of spare cash depending on what "bad" years they got stock options in. Only a few traces of the horsey set that have always been here to give any vague idea of it being posh.

We've got a branch of Ely (very recently) and Celbridge has a very high end restaurant (Canteen) but there's no Donnybrook Fairs or even fancy fitout Dunnes; there's no high end boutiques, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Clarenbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rathmullan, donegal.
    Strandhill, sligo.
    Helens bay, outside belfast.
    Slane, meath.

Edit: poshest in their counties, not the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Enniscorthy one of the poorest, no surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

jay1988 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Beech Hill estate in Donnybrook is a council estate, has flats and everything, don't see much of that in Donnybrook.

If you've ever played Beechhill in football, it seems less than settled :pac:

Edit :Sorry I supposed to reply to a reply to your message....now I couldn't be arsed changing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Dual income in celbridge isn’t the same as rich or posh. To me that involves wealth and background.

I could win the lottery tomorrow but I wouldn’t be posh. My children might end up being posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Being posh isn’t the same as being wealthy. What do we define as wealthy? If it’s purely income then there’s people who are only two payslips from defaulting on their €2,500 a month mortgage.

I’d define wealthy as net assets and will nominate Belmullet Co Mayo as Ireland’s wealthiest town. Spent nearly 20 years in banking and insurance and I never experienced anything as rotten with money as the small town and Peninsula. I’m talking about quiet money now that’s squirrelled away in deposits and investments. The bank I worked in had about 3k customers with >£8m I’m deposits. The money literally walked in off the street and there was a mobile bank that was flagged down one day by a woman with a red animal feed bucket containing £23k in three different currencies. Emigrants remittances, war bonds, headage payments, Gaeltacht grants, two different issues of Irish bank notes. The only time I ever encountered a post-decimalisation €100 note with Lady Lavery on it. You could have used it as a napkin it seemed that big to me in 1990. A new house in Ballina could be bought for £30k at that time.

When the men came home to belmullet in August the place was plódaithe le daoine. And then the dollars and the sterling rolled in. And that was just what came in. The boss reckoned that there was the equivalent in mattress money out there.

Almost all the accounts were non-resident for tax, even the children’s savings books some of which had £30k hidden In them. There was a tax amnesty announcement by the Dept of Finance for people with illegal non-residents in 1991, so bad was the problem nationwide of tax avoidance. One on my jobs as a new entrant earning £8k p.a. was to change the digit 9 to the digit 0 on the computer for all of these illegal non-res accounts from that bank. It took me almost a week to complete the task and I had a repetitive strain injury to my index finger that took a month to relieve.

The banks had a lot of branches in the West and the border at that time operated by 3/4 staff that are closed now but afaik belmullet still has it’s two banks and a credit union. The quiet money probably anchored these banks whilst the other towns lost theirs...

From my time in insurance I’d give an honourable mention to Co Carlow in the mid nineties.Some amazing amount of money went into investment bonds from there. Old money, a wealthy place..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

retalivity wrote:
    Rathmullan, donegal. Strandhill, sligo. Helens bay, outside belfast. Slane, meath.

Edit: poshest in their counties, not the country
    I'd say Rosses Point is posher than Strandill in sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I'd say Rosses Point is posher than Strandill in sligo.

Rosses Point and Ballimcar are posher and richer than Strandhill but staid. Rathmullan is dead most of the year, I went one sunny Easter week evening and the only place to get a coffee was the country house place. Killibegs has people with real money but is not posh, Donegal town is the only notiony town up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Newbridge/Kildangan/Rathangan/Kildare.

The amount of old money mixed with new money from the racing industry is frightening. What I like about it is the people that are extremely wealthy are the salt of the earth and wouldn’t shove it in your face. My sister in law married a breeder and they live in Kildare. There’s about 10 houses on their road and every one of them is involved in racing in some way shape or form. Their next door neighbour sold a horse before Christmas for €700,000. This guy is in his 40s and lives in wellies and a paddy cap. Loves his pints and every summer has a massive BBQ for all the neighbours. Hugely wealthy fella who has no airs or graces and he looks after people in his area.

This Howth/Killiney/Dalkey nonsense is all pretend. Get into Kildare if you want to see real wealth, not paper wealth that’s shoved in your face by some flash Harry drinking a glass of Prosecco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Motivator wrote: »
    Newbridge/Kildangan/Rathangan/Kildare.

The amount of old money mixed with new money from the racing industry is frightening. What I like about it is the people that are extremely wealthy are the salt of the earth and wouldn’t shove it in your face. My sister in law married a breeder and they live in Kildare. There’s about 10 houses on their road and every one of them is involved in racing in some way shape or form. Their next door neighbour sold a horse before Christmas for €700,000. This guy is in his 40s and lives in wellies and a paddy cap. Loves his pints and every summer has a massive BBQ for all the neighbours. Hugely wealthy fella who has no airs or graces and he looks after people in his area.

This Howth/Killiney/Dalkey nonsense is all pretend. Get into Kildare if you want to see real wealth, not paper wealth that’s shoved in your face by some flash Harry drinking a glass of Prosecco.

You'd get 700k for some ex-council terraced houses in Howth/Dalkey/Killiney. The houses in these areas that the real wealthy live in are valued in the 10s of millions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

From Lahinch as far as Doolin has a lot of millionaires from all over the world, some well known name's in the music and entertainment industry reside there.

You'd meet them sometimes in Ennistymon doing their shopping, nobody brothers them and only a knob would break their anonymity.

Pot calling the kettle black, but I'll mention no name's.

Kinvara is very wealthy too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

As for posh, I'd definitely suggest Kildare.
    They're a different way about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Doesn't jump out at you, but Clonakilty has an old-timey understated residual Protestant wealth vibe to the place. Very pleasant town with good food and a high-quality of life. All the magic of West-Cork on your doorstep as well.

When I get off the hamster wheel of urban living, I'd definately consider setting up down there.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Tipperary Town. Some amount of wealth around that way. Full of TOWIE type snobs.

Nuke it from orbit. A failed town if there ever was one. I know it's people's home, and it may be the hometown of someone reading this, but there are mining pits in Kyrgyzstan with more going for them.

I stopped off there for grub while on a jaunt in my student days and I felt like Tommy Tiernan in that episode of Father Ted when the bus driver puts on Radiohead.

Motivator wrote: »

Quite the opposite. Always got an Essex vibe off commuter county 'new money' to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am missing out on kildare it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

https://www.rte.ie/deprivation/#:~:text=In%20simple%20terms%2C%20the%20Pobal,data%20compiled%20from%20various%20censuses.

Very detailed map, hard to know how accurate it is overall. For example it has Ballyweelin in Rosses Point, Sligo as marginally above average when the road it's a millionaires row and has a large number of gated mansions with those on the southern side having yachts in the channel behind the house. However it it's really accurate on a street by street basis where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You'd get 700k for some ex-council terraced houses in Howth/Dalkey/Killiney. The houses in these areas that the real wealthy live in are valued in the 10s of millions.

700k for one horse before Christmas. Not bad money for a home bred horse and this guy would sell 15 or 20 a year. Not all for that price obviously but the buyers he’s dealing with privately won’t look at a horse that won’t cost them less than €200k. The public sales are a different league altogether then you could sell something for really mad money. The racing industry has exploded in the last 4 or 5 years. 5 year old Geldings with no resale value or stud prospects are consistently going for €400k+ at the sales.

The guy I’m mentioning would sell horses for €2-€3m every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rosses Point and Ballimcar are posher and richer than Strandhill but staid. Rathmullan is dead most of the year, I went one sunny Easter week evening and the only place to get a coffee was the country house place. Killibegs has people with real money but is not posh, Donegal town is the only notiony town up there.

Attended a wedding in kilcar ( just outside killybegs) back in 2013, herself and I stayed in killybegs itself and the ( blow in taxi driver from Cork) informed us that half the population of killybegs " are millionaires " ?

I know that donegal folk are smart operators but that seemed on the high side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Attended a wedding in kilcar ( just outside killybegs) back in 2013, herself and I stayed in killybegs itself and the ( blow in taxi driver from Cork) informed us that half the population of killybegs " are millionaires " ?

I know that donegal folk are smart operators but that seemed on the high side

It’s a fücking kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

OSI wrote: »
    Seeing Trim on a list of posh/rich towns is certainly one of the funnier things I’ve seen on this site.

I live outside Trim, and even discounting my bias I can see it's objectively a nice place to live. But if someone reckons Trim is posh, I'd hate to see what sort of place they think isn't posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

nthclare wrote: »
    As for posh, I'd definitely suggest Kildare.
    They're a different way about them.

Three points against that arguement.

1. Newbridge
    2. Prosperous
    3. Allenwood

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Blackrock Co Louth should be on the list somewhere.

Adare Co Limerick too

Advertisement