Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunq Travel Card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I've gone ahead and linked to Google Pay -membership still as Travel Card Membership so should still be FREE.

(Don't forget €O.99 ATM charge as before)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Here is what is allowed

[

So I'm going to see if that cashback actualy works.

Also Signature is kind of fun, there is no signature panel on the card.

Did you ever confirm if cashback works ?
    That would reduce the need to pay 99c for ATM's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ogham wrote: »
    Did you ever confirm if cashback works ?
    That would reduce the need to pay 99c for ATM's

So far I have not been offered cashback at the stores that usually ask.

I try next time but giving that the receipt says credit rather than debit I think it won't fly.

Loading via Apple Pay is here.

But depending on the card used there are the same fees as with direct card load for credit cards.

But still an easy loading option if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭doney84

Hi,

After reading this thread I can see that one of the advantages of this card is the fact its coded as a credit card. If you were to load the bunq card onto a curve account and use the curve card would that basically take away this advantage as I believe the curve card is a debit card?

Thanks,
    doney84

• Advertisement

doney84 wrote: »
    Hi,

After reading this thread I can see that one of the advantages of this card is the fact its coded as a credit card. If you were to load the bunq card onto a curve account and use the curve card would that basically take away this advantage as I believe the curve card is a debit card?

Thanks,
    doney84

Yes.

Curve is a debit card and it takes the bunq travel card as credit card. Curve only acts as credit card for hotel authorizations over 150£ but otherwise it is a debit.

Withdrawing cash from bunq via curve will cost the curve fees and also the bunq fees in case you try that.

Curve is a debit card and it takes the bunq travel card as credit card. Curve only acts as credit card for hotel authorizations over 150£ but otherwise it is a debit.

That's interesting, I've read some airlines wont accept pre paid cards and that's why I was considering one of these bunq cards. If for example I'm on a Ryanair flight and I was to purchase goods/services for under £150 the bunq card wont work as it will be read as a debit card and not a credit card?

That's interesting, I've read some airlines wont accept pre paid cards and that's why I was considering one of these bunq cards. If for example I'm on a Ryanair flight and I was to purchase goods/services for under £150 the bunq card wont work as it will be read as a debit card and not a credit card?

That 150£ is a curve limit, nothing to do with Bunq. Curve is having this behavior nothing to do with Bunq.

You should be able to use the Bunq card directly on Ryanair as it is coded as a credit card with an offline limit so it should work even if there is an offline terminal as long as the amount is low.

Ah that makes sense, sorry i had misread your earlier post.

So is it only for hotel reservations that the Curve card acts as a credit card above £150 or would it also do similar for the likes of car rentals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Ah that makes sense, sorry i had misread your earlier post.

So is it only for hotel reservations that the bunq card acts as a credit card above £150 or would it also do similar for the likes of car rentals?

I think you misread that post also, the bunq card is coded as a credit card.

its the curve card that has the behaviour as to when it acts as a credit card.

also google is your friend on this : Curve card Hotel & Car rental

• Advertisement

I think you misread that post also, the bunq card is coded as a credit card.

its the curve card that has the behaviour as to when it acts as a credit card.

also google is your friend on this : Curve card Hotel & Car rental

Edited my post as I meant Curve card.
    Thanks for the link though as it clears that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Hi all,

How are you getting on with this card? Any other users trying it out? :)

I've literally just ordered one. I know it's called a Travel Card, and maybe there's a marketing push there to say if you want full daily banking use, pay for the premium tier. Can it be used more or less for daily banking needs? I don't find this one as clear-cut as the other digital banks. No IBAN I see.

Elysium1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

How are you getting on with this card? Any other users trying it out? :)

I've literally just ordered one. I know it's called a Travel Card, and maybe there's a marketing push there to say if you want full daily banking use, pay for the premium tier. Can it be used more or less for daily banking needs? I don't find this one as clear-cut as the other digital banks. No IBAN I see.

The travel card can not replace your bank account or be used for daily banking.

It is a “prepaid” card that you need to top before you can use it.

Bunq also offers full bank accounts, there is a separate thread on it but it is old and might be outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I have it linked to Google Pay and use it in Dublin on and off. Actually used it to pay my House Insurance at start off year as I was having trouble with my PTSB Debit Card and trying to enter a security code to website and it wasn't working.

Update 17 sees the withdrawal of the bunq Easy Travel Personal card.

Existing cards are still valid until they expire but than one will be automatically moved into the Easy Bank option which cost 2.99€ a month.

https://together.bunq.com/d/44002-easy-bank

As per FAQ:
    What happened with Easy Travel
    To provide you with the best banking experience out there, we’ve launched a brand new plan - Easy Bank - and discontinued the Easy Travel plan. We’ve designed this exciting plan to bring you the most essential and iconic bunq features, with the easiest setup.

From now on, you won’t be able to open an Easy Travel plan or switch to that plan. If you have a current ongoing Easy Travel plan, you can stick with it until your Travel Card expires. If you are an Easy Travel user without a card you can also stay with your Easy Travel plan, but when you want to order a new bunq card, you’ll need to choose a new plan. Keep in mind that if you decide to change your plan, you won’t be able to go back to Easy Travel.

With the Travel Card (i.e. the credit card coded card) now having replaced the Debit card on the main accounts this was the next logic step giving how they need to generate some revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Update 17 sees the withdrawal of the bunq Easy Travel Personal card.

Existing cards are still valid until they expire but than one will be automatically moved into the Easy Bank option which cost 2.99€ a month.

https://together.bunq.com/d/44002-easy-bank

As per FAQ:

With the Travel Card (i.e. the credit card coded card) now having replaced the Debit card on the main accounts this was the next logic step giving how they need to generate some revenue.

It's quite telling , they don't want free loader customers...

In comparison, the other unicorns like Revolut and Curve are looking to boost their user numbers...I wonder if they're hoping to IPO to get money for the VCs out (and want huge user numbers to justify)

WARNING, without notice (announced this afternoon but in effect as of yesterday) the ATM limit is now 250€ per day (per account).

https://together.bunq.com/d/44527-atm-withdrawal-limit-update

Advertisement