Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunq Travel Card

Options
  • 26-07-2019 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭

Spinning this off the main Bunq Current Account thread as this is such a distinct product and not linked to the Bunq Current Account.

Bunq is now offering a prepaid card wallet that is linked to a Mastercard that is has a been coded as a credit card so that it can be used worldwide where other prepaid cards or debit cards (like revolut, boon, bunq debit) can not be used.

But this is not a credit card account, i.e. no credit is extended to you. You can only use the money you have on the card.

Info: https://www.bunq.com/features/travel-card

One time Cost is
    9.99€ if you don't know a bunq user and don't have 3 non-bunq friends
    6.66€ if you know a bunq user who invites you
    0€ if you can invite 3 friends (that are not already bunq users)

Usage Cost
    0.99€ for any ATM withdraw (plus 12 cents tax if in Ireland)
    No other cost

Exchange Rate
    Mastercard Exchange Rate with no foreign exchange fee (no limits)

Here what I think about it

Good
    Coded as a credit card
    Loads of load options from bank transfer to debit/credit card
    CCV not on the card but in the app only

Negative
    The transaction log is horrible
    No Apple / Google Pay yet
    Debit/credit card load cost a fee
    No signature panel despite signature being a credit card option for US terminals
    Limited security options compared to other bunq cards

Also to note that they are exchanging cards for those who got a card from the first batch after some retailers had problems with the card number:
    https://together.bunq.com/d/15793-we-re-improving-your-travel-card/2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There are some areas where a card coded as a credit card is better than debit.

Car Rental agencies (sure they will block a larger amount but in some areas, a prepaid card will not work at all)
    Some Hotels (the block amount will be lower than credit cards and faster released due to the way credit card transactions are processed at check-out)

The fact that the card is coded as 221 with an offline limit of 250€ also means you can use it at certain terminals (chip only not magnetic strip) where for example debit cards do not work like Train Restaurants in Germany/Austria/France or Road Toll in some areas of France.

Plus it's a bank and not an electronic money institute (like revolut) so your money is safer in case of a problem with the bank/company.

Plus it's covered by the Mastercard Credit Card conditions for chargeback, not the Debit card so it gives you better chargeback.

Yes, it does not have better exchange rates like revolut but for some, the benefit of a bank/credit card is better than electronic money/prepaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

SO I checked the BIN code for the new travel card - 511580 , which https://www.bincodes.com/bin-checker/ tells me is from:
    Chase Manhattan.

Interesting - anyone know of any services which would be great, and would benefit from using an American coded card?

You need to check the full 5115 8008 as the 511580xx range is shared.

Challange is that most public bin lists only check the first 6 digits but with shared BIN ranges now being so popular you need to check 8 digits most of the time if you come to fintech banks.

5115 8008 is a standard credit mastercard issues with a country code of ireland.

But if the online shop only uses the 6 digit check, you might get it to work as US card, easiest to test is trying to use the card on iTunes with an US account. If that works than most shops will take it as US card.

Rats - you're right. 51158002. Netherlands according to binlist.net

Dardania wrote: »
    Rats - you're right. 51158002. Netherlands according to binlist.net

Interesting, my card is 5115 8008 which is Ireland.

• Advertisement

Interesting, my card is 5115 8008 which is Ireland.

Special cards for Ireland? Weird... although they almost practically are ‘launched’ in Ireland compared to mere ‘available’ elsewhere in Europe outside of their properly ‘launched’ countries.

Special cards for Ireland? Weird... although they almost practically are ‘launched’ in Ireland compared to mere ‘available’ elsewhere in Europe outside of their properly ‘launched’ countries.

It surprised me too but it is what the card number says.

Once the card is there let's see what card peek has to say and than we know. Would be nice if it is Irish.

It surprised me too but it is what the card number says.

Once the card is there let's see what card peek has to say and than we know. Would be nice if it is Irish.

Now you have me curious - can one infer further information, beyond the bin code type info, via RFID?

Card reader for the chip gives you more info including which order they have for cardholder verification (pin/signature etc.), what offline limits they have, country code, application label (Visa, mastercard etc.) and some more items.

New card is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

New card is here.

- My new card is 5115 8008 -hopefully get in next few days in Post.

New card is here.

Mine arrived yesterday too - must give it a whirl.

How does yours read in this RFID reader software? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Mine arrived yesterday too - must give it a whirl.

How does yours read in this RFID reader software? ;-)

He did say chip reader but interested in the response.

Sorry Folks, won't be able to read the card out until Monday but keep you in the loop.

Zagato wrote: »
    He did say chip reader but interested in the response.

Sorry - I read one thing and thought another. I actually even went looking for an app for an Android to see if I could read the RFID I was so convinced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

thinking of singing up to one of these

does anyone have a referral code that they would like me to use?

DM if you fo

Okay, sorry for the delay, it has been crazy at work.

So the card unfortunatly is coded as issued in Netherlands (despite what some BIN database are saying).

Here is what is allowed
    1. Domestic Cash (ATM)
    2. International Cash
    3. Domestic Goods
    4. International Goods
    5. Domestic Services
    6. International Services
    7. ATM's
    8. Valid at terminals other than ATMs
    9. Domestic cashback
    10. International Cashback

As to the order of validation
    1. Enciphered PIN verfied online
    2. Enciphered PIN verification performed by the ICC
    3. Signature Paper
    4. No CVM

So I'm going to see if that cashback actualy works.

Also Signature is kind of fun, there is no signature panel on the card.

So fun story.

I went to supervalu and went to pay.

On entering the card into the Chip/Pin terminal the terminal made a sound and displayed "restarting".

Second attempt the terminal states "error message 8 - wait" than "authorizing" than "signature".

So the cashier states, that this is fine, some cards just do this when they require a signature instead of PIN (which it should not as per above rules) and gives me a receipt to sign but than is stumped because there is no signature field on the card.

She just looks at me, asks me about the card and than tells me, as long as the card was approved we are fine.

So let's see what happens in the next store when I try to pay.

Okay, sorry for the delay, it has been crazy at work.

So the card unfortunatly is coded as issued in Netherlands (despite what some BIN database are saying).

Here is what is allowed
    1. Domestic Cash (ATM)
    2. International Cash
    3. Domestic Goods
    4. International Goods
    5. Domestic Services
    6. International Services
    7. ATM's
    8. Valid at terminals other than ATMs
    9. Domestic cashback
    10. International Cashback

As to the order of validation
    1. Enciphered PIN verfied online
    2. Enciphered PIN verification performed by the ICC
    3. Signature Paper
    4. No CVM

So I'm going to see if that cashback actualy works.

Also Signature is kind of fun, there is no signature panel on the card.

Interesting point for sure with the signature. I wonder if they presume you can blag it by also presenting a passport which shows signature?

Those SuperValu self tills are such a throwback - do they have the same man with the strong accent on them that was shared with bus eireanns automates door closing announcement?
    And all the individual steps and questions. Not what I am used to now.
    At least they used offer cash back

I've got my new bunq travel card onto Curve - will report anything funny.

I had to sign my signature on a receipt in a local pub when I used my new bunq card - some mad error -similar to when I used it first in Supervalu but they didn't ask me to sign which makes no sense. I actually called my card -no signature so it's printed on the back off the card :)

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I've got my new bunq travel card onto Curve - will report anything funny.

I had to sign my signature on a receipt in a local pub when I used my new bunq card - some mad error -similar to when I used it first in Supervalu but they didn't ask me to sign which makes no sense. I actually called my card -no signature so it's printed on the back off the card :)

CLever!

Successfully used my Bunq Travel Card via my Curve Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Successfully used my Bunq Travel Card via my Curve Card.

I did the same,

it didnt give me the 10e activation bonus though so i asssume that must be for a chip & pin transaction

Oddish one - I’m on a Norwegian flight and their terminal didn’t accept the bunq travel card. She swiped it - apparently chip and pin doesn’t work with their terminals...

Any ideas why Yggr - do they maybe have a whitelist of BINs they allow?

Oddish one - I’m on a Norwegian flight and their terminal didn’t accept the bunq travel card. She swiped it - apparently chip and pin doesn’t work with their terminals...

Any ideas why Yggr - do they maybe have a whitelist of BINs they allow?

Bunq does not allow transactions via the magnetic strip (at least that is the latest).

So if they don't do EMV chip (be it Pin or Signature) it won't work.

That needs to be added to the disadvantage list.

Bunq does not allow transactions via the magnetic strip (at least that is the latest).

So if they don't do EMV chip (be it Pin or Signature) it won't work.

That needs to be added to the disadvantage list.

So, a mismash of incompatibilities there... I went looking in the bunq app to see if there was a way to enable magnetic transactions but it makes sense what you say. Wonder why they even included the mag strip.

So, a mismash of incompatibilities there... I went looking in the bunq app to see if there was a way to enable magnetic transactions but it makes sense what you say. Wonder why they even included the mag strip.

So that you can open the doors to banks which have ATM in the lobby during the night/weekend.

I am not making that up, in Europe there are a lot of banks where you have to swipe a card to get access to a lobby with ATM machines.

Beside that there is no reason beside the MasterCard standard but that is changing soon just like the signature panel which is no longer a requirement.

Apple Pay for the Bunq Tavel Card is here.

If you go into the Bunq App into cards you should see a "add your card to apple pay" text.

You could also try it manually if the automatic way does not work, but clearly via the app is the easiest.

Just got the announcement mail:

Pay all over the globe with just your phone! Your bunq Travel Card experience got even better: add your bunq Travel Card to Apple Pay.

The simple, safe way to pay
    • Apple Pay is simple, and it works with the devices you use every day. Paying in stores, apps, and on the web has never been easier, safer, or more private.
    • Enjoy all the benefits of your bunq Travel Card with Apple Pay. Simply go to the app to add your Travel Card to Apple Pay.
    • Never worry about forgetting to bring your Travel Card. With Apple Pay you always have it with you, wherever you go.

More info here:
    https://together.bunq.com/d/20621-update-now-use-apple-or-google-pay-with-your-bunq-travel-card/5

And GooglePay is also available

ATM Charges

Please remember that ATM withdraws are charged a fee, it's not instant, it is at the end of your billing period, so make sure if you did ATM withdraws you have money to cover the fee.

• Advertisement

Was about to add to Google Pay but then read the T & C's - sounded like it was putting you on a FEE charging membership?

Advertisement