Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified cars. What do people here in AH think of them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sligojoek wrote: »
    Each to their own. I used to love f cking around with motorbikes years ago.

There's a gobsh1te of a taxi driver round here that modified his 15 yr old diesel Mercedes by putting an AMG badge on the boot. He drives round the town like a loon thinking it is an AMG. He's in his 60s FFS

That's small man syndrome.... It's ok there is no cure

I don't know how people actually think the big exhaust does anything other than make people laugh at you or roll their eyes.

I've never seen anyone compliment someone on having an ali-express satelite dish sticking out under the bumper. Looks woefully bad.

Also, if you ever feel the need to put a sticker on your car... stop. Don't do anything. Don't think. Don't move. Stop everything. You'll be glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There is no substitute for the sound of real power.

One avenue of pleasure that has been closed off to me is, going down to Tipperary and taking my 1977 Honda CB-X out for a sunday. Standard exhaust zooming around country roads in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. Then after that , sweep the motorway for speed vans, and try out 5th and 6th gear . No aftermarket pipes on c on boyracer cars can replicate that sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I had to double check i wasnt in the Donald trump thread for a second.
    The amount of hate in here is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Each to their own. I used to love f cking around with motorbikes years ago.

Go on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't like modified cars? Don't come to Japan

pic9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I haven't the first clue about them. So i would probably just sound ill educated on them.

I honestly have no feelings either way which is I suspect how most people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Darranj85

There is no substitute for the sound of real power.

One avenue of pleasure that has been closed off to me is, going down to Tipperary and taking my 1977 Honda CB-X out for a sunday. Standard exhaust zooming around country roads in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. Then after that , sweep the motorway for speed vans, and try out 5th and 6th gear . No aftermarket pipes on c on boyracer cars can replicate that sound.

Thats one of the best sounding engines of all time. very jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

3153830022_large.jpg

When I was still living in Ireland I remember seeing the the odd 90's Micra done up like this (or some varient).

Just smacked of a despriate attempt to make the old hatchback they could just afford (or possibly inherited from an elderly relative) look more cutting edge. It just ended up looking sad. Especially if they added a racing spoiler and "mud flaps" (which tended to look like strips of red rubber they just stuck into the wheel-well. Flapping all over the place while they drove)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do love the reaction one's get out of these cars. One of them goes by at about 50km/h and they yell he's flying it he's doing 160km/h just because there a tad noisy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is it 2005 again? Because i haven't seen many driving around since then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Depends on the modification really. Improving the turbo, intakes and filters and chipping the car is completely fine in my books, but all the spoilers, rims and skirts just look rubbish. There's a plethora of modern cars that look fantastic with stock pieces. The funny thing about these shít boxes is that the owner generally prices their car way above it's worth "I put 15 grand into her lad", talking about a 99 clio, :rolleyes:

You are an idiot if you put this much into a car. Especially when you think the value will magically go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Noisy shïtboxes with silly glued on bits and stickers, a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

It's funny how they speed up when going through a town/village when they see people standing talking, or pass by a walker while out in a rural area

"Look how great I am, I can make it go faster!!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Fhast and the Fhurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve a modified car. You’d never know to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah it's grand. Causing even more cancer than your diesel car would as standard. Good man.

Ah but you see, the DPF is still intact, so no cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Theres alot worse thing lads/wans could be spending their money on tbh

Each to their own,i do like a tastefully done up.car inside and nice alloys etc....

If we all liked same thing,world would be wicked boring

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Funny when you see a youngfella in a fartcannon coming down the road looking like he just won a trollydash in Halfords.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

_blaaz wrote: »
    Theres alot worse thing lads/wans could be spending their money on tbh

Each to their own,i do like a tastefully done up.car inside and nice alloys etc....

If we all liked same thing,world would be wicked boring
    still theres difference between real tune up, and dressing up corsa fiesta or some other crap with plastic and spray of paint on brake drums.

seen nice bmw 5 series 08 tinted all black wheels spaced out a bit, but the fck couldnt even drive 20mph over town without grinding all bottom over any inch crack on a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

In my view, there are 2 very distinct categories of people who modify cars.

Modders - People who put bean can exhausts on cars with 80bhp to make them an awful lot louder and stick on bodykits. Its all about being noticed and having something 'unique'.

Enthusiasts - People who modify (often classic) cars, to enhance their abilities in areas where the car may have been deficient when it left the factory, areas like brakes, suspension (not cutting springs, but actual better dampers etc.) These modifications are usually invisible to the casual observer and merely enhance the experience of using the vehicle.

Modders or 'boy racers' annoy me because they seem to often driven by idiots and as they are very noticeably modified, people generally think 'anyone who modifies their car is an idiot and drives like a lunatic.

Enthusiasts tend to look after their cars and road manners matter considerably to them. They tend to drive appropriately for the conditions and engage in activities such as track days if speed is where their interests lie.

To answer the thread title, it depends what you mean by modified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

My 08 mondeo 2.0 diesel is modified, I've blocked the EGR, I think its grand.

Actually had a lend car the last week of an 08 2.0 diesel Zetec and the handling is unreal, decent pace in it too

Off topic apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some amount of angels on here.

I liked the modified cars. I could never afford them when I was younger (only started driving at 23), but I loved seeing the same car but completely different. Yes, some of them were terrible, and most were sub-1.6, but so what? Ireland has taxed the proper modified scene out of it. For a lad in his late teens, anything above a 1.5 was too expensive to tax on top of the cost of insurance. Plus, any 'boy racers' I knew spent all their money on the car, so weren't part of the anti-social drunk problem from most others their age (back in the late 90s/early 00s).

The recession did basically kill the modified car enthusiast market, a market which was still crap in comparison to most other countries. Limited choice, overly expensive sellers cashing in on the fad, limited by running costs, I think a lot of people did an amazing job at the time. Since then, sleepers seem to be where it's at, and while I do enjoy those too, every car looks basically the same now (and usually BBS Super RS alloys/knockoffs). I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a line of 20 Civics and each of them being very different to the last.

I suppose it's what you're into. I have zero interest in sport, so I could start a thread about all the fools who spend thousands on watching millionaires kick inflated air around, about how they shout at tvs and cause arguments, but that's accepted so everything thinks it's normal.

But, I too hated the dopes who just stuck a galvanise pipe onto the back of their 1.0L micra/starlet and thought they were driving Ferraris.

One other point, someone mentioned that just because it's as fast as a supercar doesn't make it a supercar. I would 100% take a 2.6 second Golf over a Ferrari. Ferrari beating speeds for a fraction of the cost, seems like a no-brainer to me. Also, why would you get a supercar in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Live and let live. I'm sure that someone gets annoyed at something stupid that everyone does - there's no accounting for taste and getting your panties in a bunch over it isn't worth the effort. We have freedom in Ireland that most people don't appreciate and won't miss until they lose.

Drive what you want, pray to whatever you want, marry whoever who you want, eat what you want, live where you want, drink as much as you want and work at what you want - just don't be a cvnt about it.

I'm personally annoyed by fat cows with huge sunglasses in almost new diesel SUV's that they bought on PCP driving too fast on back roads and scrolling Facebook while they do it. Am I going on the internet to rant about it? Nope...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Oh the good oul days. Dreaming of turning my 1.4 astra into a God only knows what.. Spent the 90s driving cars with no power like they were super cars . Now I have a car with power I'm afraid to use it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

1.2 litre, 15 year old car, body kit, exhaust like a bucket, capable of 80 km/hr.
    Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Our local boy racer has (for reasons known only to himself) installed a Clifford alarm that he clearly doesn't know how to use on his piece of sh*t Altezza in the past few days. The blackjack warning sound is going off every time he tries to drive the stupid thing and my patience is wearing very, very thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Actually had a lend car the last week of an 08 2.0 diesel Zetec and the handling is unreal, decent pace in it too

Off topic apologies

Yepp they're not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I actually can appreciate that kind of car culture, was never into it myself but can see the appeal

Some of those motors are engineering gems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Whats with the ones that sound like a breathing machine in a nursing home???

Advertisement