Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a great pub great.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

uluwatu wrote: »
    What makes your favorite pub different from others? Why is it great?

The Staff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A strong WiFi signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They’re not always black, J. “D2” has a lad from some foreign parts, not sure where, but he’s not black.

Just saying.

99.9% they're Black lads which is why they're professionally knows as "Blacks in the Jacks".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Omackeral wrote: »
    99.9% they're Black lads which is why they're professionally knows as "Blacks in the Jacks".

Absolutely no black in the jacks of any race, colour or creed.

I’d love to meet someone who thinks it ads to a pub and ask them; “why?” I have a theory why people like the idea but I’d love to hear from someone who actually likes it. Anyone in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Table quizzes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I’d love to meet someone who thinks it ads to a pub and ask them; “why?” I have a theory why people like the idea but I’d love to hear from someone who actually likes it. Anyone in the thread?

What’s odd is that this started happening the minute there was one black guy in the country of appropriate age.

Possibly some barman saw it in America and decided it was necessary here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

No Wifi available in the middle of nowhere.

These clowns on their phones are a nuisance

Schwanz wrote: »

In what way are they a nuisance? I'd imagine they don't really interfere with anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

In what way are they a nuisance? I'd imagine they don't really interfere with anyone.

You're obviously one of them.

Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Sometimes I just want to have a pint and do something on my phone. It’s the clowns who think I’m there for their entertainment and try to start a conversation with me when it’s clear that I don’t want to are the nuisance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Omackeral wrote: »

There was a “satirical” magazine out back in the day known as “The Slate”. They did an issue about them. Was pretty funny at the time, the racism was kept fairly casual but they did get some backlash from it.

The magazine got shut down after doing a “paedo” issue that was deemed to have gone “too far”.

Pubs have them as it means they don’t have to employ cleaners.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Do the jacks guys just set up shop with no permission of the management or do they have to get managements agreement

And do they also do women’s jacks and have female perfumes etc

You're obviously one of them.

Waste of time.

Ok. Whether or not I'm one of them, in what way are they a nuisance to you?

is reading a phone different level of nuisance to reading a paper?

anacc wrote: »
    Sometimes I just want to have a pint and do something on my phone. It’s the clowns who think I’m there for their entertainment and try to start a conversation with me when it’s clear that I don’t want to are the nuisance.

But they think it's their pub so obviously, if you're going to come into it, you need to entertain them.

Seriously though, some people hold that attitude but others know the pub is a place for recreation where you're free to do whatever you want - even egregious sins like reading the news on a phone or a newspaper (sharp inhale of breath).

Pubs have them as it means they don’t have to employ cleaners.

Jesus, is that it? Couldn't they just pay a cleaner instead of having someone cut the power to the hand dryer and hide the soap to make you feel pressure to pay a euro for the most basic of basic services?

I never use their service and never pay them. I don't blame the worker doing a job. It turns me right off a pub but i always blamed the customers for wanting the black in the jacks, rather than the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Do the jacks guys just set up shop with no permission of the management or do they have to get managements agreement

And do they also do women’s jacks and have female perfumes etc

They sell themselves to management that they are there to " keep an eye" on things in the jacks. They will loosely scrub the floor etc. They do not get paid, all their money is made on tips. It is lucrative enough.

I have often stood there like a chunt handing out € 2 to some dude for a few squirts of Fahrenheit down my jocks and around my face. If you give them any less they kind of sulk into the floor as if you have just ripped them off. Bastards.

Thank god they are predominantly in overpriced sausage factories in town. I can tolerate getting phucked if it only happens every so often, I can live with it. Toilet monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

anacc wrote: »
    You mean you dont want to chat and entertain the local "character" i.e. the local spunker who no elses wants near them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Went to O'Sheas on Talbot Street for the first time last week and I love it.

The décor is really interesting, could sit there looking at the differi things on the wall for ages. And the smoking area is amazing, set up to look like a tiny, Irish village.

The staff however were crap terrible at their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Good selection of beers that are brewed by a fella just up the road
    Thatched roof
    Regular trad sessions
    No telly or fruit machines
    On an island
    No mobile phone coverage or wifi
    Good mix of regulars and passers through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

An outside toilet adds a bit of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Anyone ever walk in to a bar and the only thing blaring was Sky News? Really.. you think I want a bit of peace and enjoy a pint to listen to some English gowl talk about current affairs in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Good lighting is essential - we tend to take it for granted but walk into an English pub or Wetherspoons and you will see the difference.
    No fruit machine - see above
    Good guinness
    Good sound system - AKA they dont allow some gimp come in with a guitar and blow people out with 3 amps in a small pub. this still happens far too often in Ireland

Anyone ever walk in to a bar and the only thing blaring was Sky News? Really.. you think I want a bit of peace and enjoy a pint to listen to some English gowl talk about current affairs in the UK?
    Just wait until the last 24 hours before the transfer window closes. Grown men coming in their trousers because Leicester have signed some 18 year old "star" from Dunstable Town

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Went to O'Sheas on Talbot Street for the first time last week and I love it.

The décor is really interesting, could sit there looking at the differi things on the wall for ages. And the smoking area is amazing, set up to look like a tiny, Irish village.

The staff however were crap terrible at their job.
    City centres pubs are going that way with staff. That part of Dublin used have a nice few traditional pubs with good staff, often Tipp or Cavan/Monaghan lads. Molloys, Madigans, Clearys of Amiens St etc. No ****e about them, just grand pints, toasted sandwiches and managers who knew the local heads and had no problem barring the local troublemakers ( which the decent locals supported as they wanted to drink in peace).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Edgware wrote: »
    Just wait until the last 24 hours before the transfer window closes. Grown men coming in their trousers because Leicester have signed some 18 year old "star" from Dunstable Town

More likely some Italian lad who'se name they cant pronounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you

Sally Stinkfinger.... every good pub has one..

Advertisement