Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a great pub great.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah but it's fundamentally a question of having enough staff to handle busy times. I don't have any use for cocktails but it's not the fault of the customers. It's the pubs fault for not having enough staff to deliver the services it offers without making you wait ages.

There are pubs in the city centre that might have 6/7 staff behind the bar at a relatively quiet time and you are still waiting ages because there happens to be a rush of wanker drinks. Its not always a staffing issue, its a "this crap takes far too long to make" issue. And I will blame the customer bcause most of the time they are ordering that **** just for the novelty, so **** them for being stuck up their own holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There are pubs in the city centre that might have 6/7 staff behind the bar at a relatively quiet time and you are still waiting ages because there happens to be a rush of wanker drinks. Its not always a staffing issue, its a "this crap takes far too long to make" issue. And I will blame the customer bcause most of the time they are ordering that **** just for the novelty, so **** them for being stuck up their own holes.

If the pub offers them, then it's hardly the customer's fault for ordering it.

Each to their own. I don't blame my fellow Parton for wanting a cocktail. It's their free time and they're entitled to treat themselves to anything on the menu.

So what if they're ordering it for the novelty or just for affectation? The pub is recreation time. Pubs should have the staff to handle the business they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A comfortable place to be.
    The possibility of seeing a good live band, (not essential but I like watching / listening to good musicians)

A decent selection of beer, I like pale ales and IPA's so having a few on tap is nice, otherwise ill drink guinness if nothing else available..

A few nibbles is nice.

I dont mind gastropubs, but they should stop serving food after 9.

A good barman/woman who can get orders right without asking what you wanted repeatedly.

My local in athlone, is a tiny pub, but does good live music at the weekends, its tiny, youd think it was an old mans pub.

My other favourite is a big spot with good craft ales on tap and mighty pizzas to go with the beer.
    Nutts corner??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Nutts corner??????

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Porterhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Cosmopolitan clientele, none of this 'we've been drinking here since 1982 so we own the place' bull****, decent food and range of beers, decent size and decor, doesn't attract dross or wise guys, Yacht in Clontarf or Gleeson's in Booterstown to name two examples of a decent pub.

Collie D wrote: »
    Irish barmen. This can’t be emphasised enough. The full time Irish barman is a godsend...couple of orders on the go. Quick efficient service.

Compare this to the continent or even the UK where generally it’s some student who’ll only be there a few weeks who thinks they have to stand over each pint as it’s pouring and can’t pull another until that one is done and whose head would probably explode if he had to deal with more than one customer at a time.

You do get the odd type in the UK who 'gets it' and would fit in quite well over here, they do exist, even though for the most part it's a McJob over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,932 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Service in the Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock Wetherspoons is extraordinarily bad.

It’s a feature of the ones I was dragged to in the UK also, crap and disinterested staff and not enough of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A comfortable place to be.
    The possibility of seeing a good live band, (not essential but I like watching / listening to good musicians)

A decent selection of beer, I like pale ales and IPA's so having a few on tap is nice, otherwise ill drink guinness if nothing else available..

A few nibbles is nice.

I dont mind gastropubs, but they should stop serving food after 9.

A good barman/woman who can get orders right without asking what you wanted repeatedly.

My local in athlone, is a tiny pub, but does good live music at the weekends, its tiny, youd think it was an old mans pub.

My other favourite is a big spot with good craft ales on tap and mighty pizzas to go with the beer.
    Nutts corner??????
    Nutts corner??????

Indeed.

Great little pub. Athlone has some great ones; Harveys, Seans, The Castle, Higgins, The Arden etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Hooks for your cap or jacket along the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

For some reason I have an irrational aversion to marble/slate bar counters and those little doily papery bar mats. Both usually found in hotels and pretentious places. A wooden counter with normal beer mats is what you want!

Ipso wrote: »
    Great little pub. Athlone has some great ones; Harveys, Seans, The Castle, Higgins, The Arden etc

Higgins and the Arden?
    When were you last in Athlone?
    Both are gone about 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Nutts corner??????

Indeed.
    Was there and in Flannerys last weekend...mesel an hersel are gluttons for punishment on a weekend away

Higgins and the Arden?
    When were you last in Athlone?
    Both are gone about 15-20 years.

Probably that long. Too bad.

Probably that long. Too bad.

Its changed quite a bit since, some cracking pubs in town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

You will never beat the genuine atmosphere of hearing happy conversations happening around you. As you walk to the toilet from your table and hear a group of people, probably old friends at a table cackling away and red cheeked from a few drinks. Then in the corner two people gossiping fervently like they'll never see each other again and the cross-armed serious men trying to fix the world's problems. All the while the bar service is doling out the drinks and jovially engaging their customers and having a few cheeky jokes with their workmates between service. Then on your way back to your table you take another 10 minutes because you've just bumped into someone you haven't seen in an age and you each fancy to hear how you've both been getting on.

A pub is about people. Not about the loudest music or your selfies or proving or trying to pretend we're having a good time. Most people want a place where they can just sit back loosen their tongues a bit and let the time flow easily as that smooth Guinness sinks warmly into your belly, complemented by the glow of the crackling fire or late evening sun.

That's my idea of a perfect pub anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

All about people really. Don’t like city centre pubs, think they are impersonal. Like rural pubs, places where the customers know each other, problem with some of them is customers can be insular.
    For me it’s important that the drinkers don’t solely speak to the people they’ve come with, that they’re open to conversations with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

dd973 wrote: »
    Cosmopolitan clientele, none of this 'we've been drinking here since 1982 so we own the place' bull****, decent food and range of beers, decent size and decor, doesn't attract dross or wise guys, Yacht in Clontarf or Gleeson's in Booterstown to name two examples of a decent pub.

The Yacht was Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch’s haunt before he went on the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The yacht is a restaurant n’est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Noveight wrote: »
    Hooks for your cap or jacket along the bar.
    And to hang up your holster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

All about people really. Don’t like city centre pubs, think they are impersonal. Like rural pubs, places where the customers know each other, problem with some of them is customers can be insular.
    For me it’s important that the drinkers don’t solely speak to the people they’ve come with, that they’re open to conversations with others.
    If the others want it otherwise just **** off and leave them alone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Chatting with friends in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sometimes I enjoy chatting with anyone. Other times I prefer to just chat with my mates. The worst is the bloke who won't take the hint that you're not really interested in chatting with them.

The Yacht was Gerry ‘The Monk’ Hutch’s haunt before he went on the run.

I never saw him in there and used to go quite often, not sure he'll be in for a bit though anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Pink snacks.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Pink snacks.

Those small backs of bacon bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

No black lad in the toilets trying to get you to give him money for paper to dry your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Those small backs of bacon bites.

And a barman who'll ring the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No black lad in the toilets trying to get you to give him money for paper to dry your hands.

They’re not always black, J. “D2” has a lad from some foreign parts, not sure where, but he’s not black.

Just saying.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

No live music.

Advertisement