Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All "settled" residents should lose rights to object to Traveller accommodation...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, that's a really bad idea that I'd hope has no chance of being passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

How many caravans would fit in the green areas here. 150-200 I'd say.
    Great road access etc.

486159.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If i don't send stevieluvesye junior to school i would be summonsed to Court.

Not this lot.

If they are to ever change their kids should be forced to receive an education like everyone else. Then maybe they may start contributing in the form of paying taxes by working legitimately

Of course! they're just some of the sensible policies I'm talking about.
    However the state policy is the opposite of this, it's madness.

In fact, do you know that the national policy for travellers [The National Traveller and Roma Inclusion Strategy 2017-2021] does not even have putting them into employment as a goal, in the way it does for say immigrants? It also rejects integration as an aim.

This failure of policy was critiqued quite well in the Irish Times (with some extracts below):

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/state-policy-towards-travellers-dodges-employment-question-1.3688569?mode=amp

This document concludes that Travellers and Roma are “among the most disadvantaged and marginalised people in Ireland” and provides strong evidence for this conclusion, showing that more than 80 per cent of Travellers are unemployed, only 13 per cent of Traveller children complete second-level education and male Travellers are 11 times more likely to be in prison and have a suicide rate seven times the average rate.

The report then goes on to reject “integration” as a strategy in favour of “inclusion”. It does this without either providing any definition of integration or inclusion or evidence to support this choice. It says: “Discussion with Traveller and Roma representatives and other relevant stakeholders has resulted in a change of emphasis from integration to inclusion, which is seen as better capturing what we want to achieve for these communities in our society”.

The difference between integration and inclusion, as seen by the Government, would appear to be employment.

The Traveller strategy lists six “key initiatives and developments arising from the development of the inclusion strategy”. Three of these are focused on identity and culture involving: “State recognition of Travellers as an ethnic group”; promoting “knowledge of and pride in Traveller culture and heritage”; and developing “ethnic identifiers”. The other three initiatives cover education, health and feuding. None of these key initiatives address unemployment among Travellers.

The failure to prioritise employment in Traveller policy is nothing new. Over the last 30 years unemployment rates in the community have remained consistently above 80 per cent. The 1995 report of the task force on the Travelling community said there were “very limited employment opportunities for Travellers” because of the then high level of unemployment, but Traveller unemployment remained above 80 per cent even during the labour shortages of the Celtic Tiger boom and continue now when we are again facing labour shortages.

The Programme for Prosperity and Fairness published in 2000 committed the government to setting up a working group to discover the causes of high unemployment among Travellers despite labour shortages in the then booming economy. The departments of Enterprise, Trade and Employment and Justice and Equality were both reluctant to take responsibility for the working group. In 2002 the Department of Enterprise reached an agreement with Pavee Point that the working group not be set up but no reasons were ever given for this decision.

The Traveller strategy explains the level of Traveller unemployment by referring to the “high level of discrimination faced by Travellers when seeking employment”. The strategy ignores two other factors that affect Traveller employment. These are the possible conflict between Traveller culture and employment and the taxation and welfare systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

Because their method of dealing with conflict usually involves bare knuckle boxing, slash hooks or their latest stunt of driving through a graveyard to run you down.

Ive dealt with my fair share of them over the years and never had any of that happen to me. They arent able to fight any better than the common man on the street look at some of the fights ffs. All afraid of being hit. Barely a punch landed.

Even look at when traveller gangs go up against their settled counterparts (rare enough), it seldoms ends well for them and there has been a couple notable examples of that over the years.

Most violence from travellers is against members of their own community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If i don't send stevieluvesye junior to school i would be summonsed to Court.

That's because you have a residential address and if guards turn up they won't find a half dozen stevieluvesye seniors.

They're only marginalised because they want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    How many caravans would fit in the green areas here. 150-200 I'd say.
    Great road access etc.

You obviously haven't experienced the traffic in the area at peak times. An additional X number of cars/vans would not help with the traffic situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Low quality, stereotyping posts removed. Let’s have a mature discussion here please.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Under the OP link:
    ejj3tx.jpg

Brilliant!

If the minister tries to implement this nonsense, he'll be lynched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

I wonder where the reports authors Prof Michelle Norris, head of school at University College Dublin’s school of social policy and Conor Norton, head of school in the department of architecture and planning at Technological University Dublin live?

Where ever €148K per annum affords them. Plus their payment for writing this report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'm sure this proposal will go down very well with the general public and esp rural voters lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This could set a precedent to take all planning objections our of the general publics hands not just for traveller accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

This is some headline.

"Thieves rob copper from a van - escape on sulky - try to ram garda van with a horse - fail and get arrested"

https://www.thejournal.ie/van-sulky-copper-4738543-Jul2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

john4321 wrote: »
    This is some headline.

"Thieves rob copper from a van - escape on sulky - try to ram garda van with a horse - fail and get arrested"

https://www.thejournal.ie/van-sulky-copper-4738543-Jul2019/

In before " how do you know they were travellers"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully the horse get's seized for mistreatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Varik wrote: »
    Hopefully the horse get's seized for mistreatment.

And that they get a really tough judge, who gives them a long suspended sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I'm thinking about previous experiences i have had with them

Robbed at knife point (Never caught)
    Garden shed broken in to (Caught and sent to prison)
    Mass brawl between a group of them at the entrance of level 3 at the square
    Emergency brake after one of their horses and carts reared up
    Mass brawl in pub during afters in funeral in Tallaght

What do these "people" add to society?

They keep the free legal aid going, up in the district court a couple of years ago and five lads fighting between themselves from the one family all got free legal aid with the one solicitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In before " how do you know they were travellers"?

It's a fair point. It is often settled people robbing copper wire and then making their getaway on a sulky and then ramming Garda vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's a fair point. It is often settled people robbing copper wire and then making their getaway on a sulky and then ramming Garda vehicles.

lads in dalkey are mad for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Borderfox wrote: »
    They keep the free legal aid going, up in the district court a couple of years ago and five lads fighting between themselves from the one family all got free legal aid with the one solicitor

Slight conflict of interest there don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Can’t say that anymore.

Honest question to all here.

Who calls them knackers still?

Am I allowed to ask this here?

Mod note: No.

dudara

because if they put it in the headline or the opening par itll rank higher on search, at the moment ive to go to page 2 of google news on the search for the word 'traveller' before I find a story about a crime theyve done. Under no other search would months old news pieces or op-ed columns published on sundays out rank new important news, but by not mentioning it early it keeps it lower on search ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Has anyone ever had a nice experience with this lot......ever?

In a Tesco express at the weekend and i'm top of queue and bridgie and mary totally disregard me, walk straight pass and go to checkout.

And that's probably called a pleasant experience dealing with them

I’ve had a lot of negative encounters with them over the years but one that particularly grinds my gears is they don’t queue, for anything. They have a complete disregard for rules or etiquette. God help you if they get to the counter before you, you’ll go grey.

Has anyone ever had a nice experience with this lot......ever?

In a Tesco express at the weekend and i'm top of queue and bridgie and mary totally disregard me, walk straight pass and go to checkout.

And that's probably called a pleasant experience dealing with them

this seems pretty unrealistic,

well the part about them actually going to the checkout and not just walking straight out is anyway. Must have needed smokes.

If any of them worked they’d be brilliant. Imagine hiring a lad in to tarmac your drive and he arrives on with a bunch of power tools and cocaine.

I mean, your dog would be missing but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If any of them worked they’d be brilliant. Imagine hiring a lad in to tarmac your drive and he arrives on with a bunch of power tools and cocaine.

I mean, your dog would be missing but still.

how do you know they're travellers ya feckin' racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

False advertising. Very few if any of them travel. Mostly just settle, occasionally move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have heard people like John Connors say that trvellers are tired of being putting on the edge of towns/near motorways/etc because nobody wants to live near travellers.
    We learnt around the presidential election that people like Michael D, Ciara Kelly, Ryan Tubridy, etc seem hay to have members of the travelling community as neighbors. I think the local authorities should start paying attention to stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ScottCapper

This country is a ****ing joke.. can’t wait to move

• Advertisement

This country is a ****ing joke.. can’t wait to move

I hate to break this to you but every country has a minority of people who do a disproportionate amount of crime.

Advertisement