Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Championship 2019 chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

SA might just be moving into favourites for the RWC imo. They e finally got a decent coach, they’ve finally got black players there on merit, they have a very solid set piece. And pollard can kick goals.

I think Ireland would be hoping for nz tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Argentina are muck, butchered their chances on the line.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

swiwi_ wrote: »

I think Ireland would be hoping for nz tbh.

If we were playing then tomorrow, definitely NZ.

20th October will be a different story though.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If we were playing then tomorrow, definitely NZ.

20th October will be a different story though.

We see. NZ are a bit muck since a couple of years. RWC are funny things there are always surprise results.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

After two games of the switch, what do people make of the Mo'unga at 10 and BB at 15 tactic?

• Advertisement

After two games of the switch, what do people make of the Mo'unga at 10 and BB at 15 tactic?

No. I think Ben Smith should be 15. NZ need a new right wing. In saying that the problem is the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No. I think Ben Smith should be 15. NZ need a new right wing. In saying that the problem is the pack.

Have to agree. I think it's probably a bit hard to judge how Richie's gone considering the pack hasn't been dominating like they usually do and the backline as a whole seems like they're under a lot more pressure than their used to.

Have to agree. I think it's probably a bit hard to judge how Richie's gone considering the pack hasn't been dominating like they usually do and the backline as a whole seems like they're under a lot more pressure than their used to.

The 2 starting props offer nothing outside the scrum. Kaino has never been replaced. Whitelock and read are not getting younger.

I think next week will be a very interesting game to watch.

Fairly ominous from SA there. Their bench was good. They will only get better. Still have their classy winger to come back too

Anyone else think kolbes try was a so far forward it could have been an American football play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Anyone else think kolbes try was a so far forward it could have been an American football play?

Thought that myself when they showed the replay before Pollard lined up for the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

South Africa improved so much in the last 18 months...we seem to be heading towards a very open and well balanced world cup. The next few test games are going to be very important but the final 4 seem to be between SA, England, NZ, Wales and Ireland so far with Australia well in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Long way to go to RWC in fairness

NZ will still canter to 3 easy group wins, and that should give them some confidence back. If they can sneak a win v SA they will have a soft enough quarter, with all respect to Scotland (or unlikely Japan). Even if they don't beat SA - and it may not be popular here but if Ireland don't improve dramatically from March - they'll surely fancy themselves v ourselves, even playing like they are.

So regardless they are only 1 big win away from a semi.

SA and Oz looking much improved though. Could be looking at a SH dominated event again, but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

jr86 wrote: »
    Long way to go to RWC in fairness

NZ will still canter to 3 easy group wins, and that should give them some confidence back. If they can sneak a win v SA they will have a soft enough quarter, with all respect to Scotland (or unlikely Japan). Even if they don't beat SA - and it may not be popular here but if Ireland don't improve dramatically from March - they'll surely fancy themselves v ourselves, even playing like they are.

So regardless they are only 1 big win away from a semi.

SA and Oz looking much improved though. Could be looking at a SH dominated event again, but who knows

6 weeks till SA vs NZ in round 1. Not a long way to go at all.

Ireland improve from March?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

So frustrating to watch Argentina, just can't finish off the opportunities and they give away silly penalties. As for Springboks that pack is scary, fear meeting them in the quarters if we top the group and they come 2nd to the AB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Looks like the usual suspects for the later stages of RWC: NZ, Oz, RSA or England. Oz look in fine form again. Kerevi will be hard for any defence to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Looks like the usual suspects for the later stages of RWC: NZ, Oz, RSA or England. Oz look in fine form again. Kerevi will be hard for any defence to stop.

Well its hard to know

NZ where miles ahead of everyone and suddenly everyone seems to be level. So has the rest of the teams got better or has NZ got worse?

I think it is a combination of the two but NZ seem to be miles off the form we have seen from them in the last few seasons. Even before the red card on Saturday they could of had a yellow, they where getting involved in little niggles and they just look out of sorts....everything at the moment is been based on SA and Aus playing an out of form NZ.....

McCaw is coming out of retirement so we’ll see what happens there. Richie might have to be a stay-home dad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

McCaw is coming out of retirement so we’ll see what happens there. Richie might have to be a stay-home dad I suppose.

WPOTY 2019 wrapped up already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Great to see James O’Connor back and playing so fluently.

Any chance of seeing Beauden Barrett back at 10 in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Any chance of seeing Beauden Barrett back at 10 in the near future?

Yeah, reckon it will happen before the end if the year.

Interesting talking point raised re player safety and contact with the head

Stuff.co.nz: Inconsistency on rugby laws revealed in Samu Kerevi 'hit' on Beauden Barrett.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/114924364/inconsistency-on-laws-revealed-in-samu-kerevi-hit-on-beauden-barrett

If you compare the force of impact with Scott's 'tackle' to Kerevi changing body position and shoulder charging the head of Beauden who was already committed to a pretty text book tackle position, I guess it does raise a few questions.

It also makes me wonder how the heck they're going implement tackles waist height and below. Beauden would have been tackling Kerevi at waist height, but he changed his position going into the tackle, making it a high tackle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Basil3 wrote: »

Stuff.co.nz: Inconsistency on rugby laws revealed in Samu Kerevi 'hit' on Beauden Barrett.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/114924364/inconsistency-on-laws-revealed-in-samu-kerevi-hit-on-beauden-barrett

If you compare the force of impact with Scott's 'tackle' to Kerevi changing body position and shoulder charging the head of Beauden who was already committed to a pretty text book tackle position, I guess it does raise a few questions.

It also makes me wonder how the heck they're going implement tackles waist height and below. Beauden would have been tackling Kerevi at waist height, but he changed his position going into the tackle, making it a high tackle.

Scrums are more dangerous than what Scott Barrett did. Letter of the law, he had to go, but I see more dangerous stuff in "legal" plays every game.

Basil3 wrote: »

Also don’t forget , Garces didn’t give a red for this

https://s3.gifyu.com/images/ezgif.com-video-to-gif-14fa36b31577f9f2a.gif

When the author refers to world rugby as the IRB, then you know he's well behind the times.

BB got bumped. His technique was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

NeonWolf wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of cards - how was the Wallaby #15 not cited for a shoulder charge on Goodhue in the buildup to the All Blacks first try?

Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD0stunVh78

at 1:01, and the replay at 1:15.

Lowered the shoulder, no arms, straight at the head of a player taking him out off the ball, surely?

It looked like a big impact but moving too fast on youtube for me to see where the impact was. Any slow mo gifs or a way to play youtube in slow motion?

When the author refers to world rugby as the IRB, then you know he's well behind the times.

BB got bumped. His technique was poor.

While i essentially agree which what you are saying , I think a clearer discussion is needed into where they want the game to go. Snyman crocked Retallick on purpose (legally) last week. Garces allowed Vunipola to forearm smash Beauden Barretts head into the turf in the same game he sent Sonny Bill off in.

We are either all out for protecting heads and necks or we aren't.

Alesana Tuilagi was cited for something no more egregious than what Kerevi did in the last world cup. There is no consistency.

Everyone needs to speak up , because some week it will be the team you support who will be nobbled by this inconsistency either via player being injured or being reduced to 14 men arbitrarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

For those not familiar with the lingo, "all we want is consistency" loosely translates as "the ref got it right, but I really need to find some way that our defeat was a blatant stitch-up."

There is lots of consistency. There is just no willingness on the part of fans, coaches or the media to take it with any sort of grace when it's their player in the wrong.

• Advertisement

Dont' think these clearouts have a place in rugby. So I'm OK with the red card. Just hope that it's consistently replied.

I'd actually like the law applied correctly - ie binding onto a player and driving off the ball, not these flying wedge clearouts that we see all the time.

From an Irish point of view, Cian Healy would want to watch his technique.

Advertisement