Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cats

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I did read one review that noted some of the background cats looked unfinished if not unrendered, so perhaps this fix is for a bunch of working FX that snuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh dear - BOMJ estimates 8 million opening three days. I'll guess it's best markets will be UK and Australia
    where this sort of WTF camp nonsense tends to find an audience. I suppose China could also come to it's rescue due to lack of cultural awareness about the stage show - nothing to make a comparison with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait wait, there are mice & cockroaches with human faces? WTF, how the all that is holy did this get greenlit?

That Mark Kermode review itself is very telling, cos in fairness to him he'll always do his level best to find some positives (with noteworthy exceptions mind); you can hear him really struggling to NOT segue into a rant.

Very good review. He even mentions that there seems to be a competition between reviewers now to see who can say the meanest thing and he tries his best to give a level headed review. His final take that this film was so out there that it needed David Lynch or Cronenberg was inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The idea that the film is being tweaked to what could be a significant degree after it's wide release is a bad precedent - we could be in the situation where a large number of people pay to see a bad version of what might be turned into a better film. While the reviews (for what they are worth) will be mainly of the initial version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

p to the e wrote: »
    Very good review. He even mentions that there seems to be a competition between reviewers now to see who can say the meanest thing and he tries his best to give a level headed review. His final take that this film was so out there that it needed David Lynch or Cronenberg was inspiring.

Didn't he say the very opposite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is this film also a true story like the recent documentary ‘Don’t f*#k with Cats’??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The idea that the film is being tweaked to what could be a significant degree after it's wide release is a bad precedent - we could be in the situation where a large number of people pay to see a bad version of what might be turned into a better film. While the reviews (for what they are worth) will be mainly of the initial version.

While I too think it’s a bad precedent, I don’t believe it’s being tweaked to a ‘significant degree’. I’ve heard a few reviewers point to half-finished effects and even a possible rendering error, which are clearly the results of finishing the film with hours to spare. Another clip floating around Twitter shows Judi Dench’s ‘human hands’, wedding ring and all. So by all accounts the patch is to correct some of those rushed or missed effects.

I fundamentally don’t agree with the prospect of a film being so rushed into cinemas that they don’t have time to finish the effects and simply fix it with a patch after a few days. But I reckon this film’s fundamental wrong-headedness will remain present and correct, and the reviews will stand (the technical gripes in a handful of reviews aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Didn't he say the very opposite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLgEjQ6p4vY&t=425

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Guys, if they didn't rush this into the cinemas before it was finished then it wouldn't have made all that Christmas money!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Has anyone actually watched this? I know the reviews are bad but Im curious to see if its as awful as all that. Sure look, I'll go see it tonight and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

tunguska wrote: »
    Has anyone actually watched this? I know the reviews are bad but Im curious to see if its as awful as all that. Sure look, I'll go see it tonight and report back.

Be careful. We know curiosity and cats have a dodgy history with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

tunguska wrote: »

I saw it and, yea, People are just internet mob bandwagon jumping and regurgitating the same "ohh its a horror, My eyes" to get their fake internet points.

I loved Cats as a kid. Its a ridiculous story with people dressed as cats. They always had human faces and human hands. I saw several plays of it and the weird sexy body hugging suits were always there. so... I'm honestly wondering what people were expecting from teh big screen adaptation?

The dancing and choreography was amazing. Francesca Hayward was a delight and wow, what an incredible dancer. Its a shame they tried moving the spotlight from her to taylor swift ( to the point of giving one of her songs to Taylor to re-do as an extra track on the sountrack).

Yes It had James Cordon and Rebel Wilson who I really dont like in general but they were actually cast well for their cat characters.

The songs were great, they're just the songs from the musical... again, what were people expecting?

The scenery is reminiscent of theater style backdrops with almost comical takes on sizing.

So yea.. I loved every minute of it. I get some people don't get it and hate on it but thats their loss.

Advertisement