Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

jmreire wrote: »
    The main objection is that what start's as a pittance, in this Country can escalate very quickly. The "Thin Edge of Wedge" comes to mind. Let them hold the referendum locking public ownership in place. Then take it from there. Privatizing will turn it into a profit focused enterprise.

This is the issue for me. I won't be paying a cent until it's written into law that it will not be privatized simple as that. I've no problem paying if it's tagged to inflation etc.. but we all know what happens in Ireland greed takes over and before you know it FG's friends in business have their dirty paws all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

blackcard wrote: »
    Or someone is trying to reduce excessive wastage of water

It's nothing to do with that and everyone knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

should we pay for electricity, internet, gas, TV, phone out of general taxation? if not, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

should we pay for electricity, internet, gas, TV, phone out of general taxation? if not, why not?

You would have a point if motor tax, LPT were being used to fund these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If only they had protested.........

Plenty of meters installed at the homes of protesters, something something Garda etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

You are still missing the point. The proposal now is that some pay for the excessive use of others. What if you were told that you had to pay for your ESB but you also had to pay for the family next door who didn't have an electricity meter? Would you pay? Or refuse?

K.Flyer wrote:
    Plenty of meters installed at the homes of protesters, something something Garda etc.

True, I know several that removed the meter and filled the hole with concrete. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Benedict wrote: »
    You are still missing the point. The proposal now is that some pay for the excessive use of others. What if you were told that you had to pay for your ESB but you also had to pay for the family next door who didn't have an electricity meter? Would you pay? Or refuse?

I was just about to post the same.
    If people were to apply the same thought process to how they want to start charging for water to electric metering / charging, they might start to to see the gross ineptitude and unfairness of the proposal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

blackcard wrote: »
    This has to go down as one of the stupidest comments ever. There was over 50 % of water leaking into the ground in 2013 due to decades of underinvestment. Whoever took over in 2014 would automatically be 'responsibile' for the most leaks

So IW should be allowed to spend our tax money on collecting, treating and purifying water and then let 50% of that leak into the ground without any sanction. This as well as having countless incidents of polluting Dublin bay also with no sanction. Maybe you think that is OK but if they are talking about fining people for overuse of water and pollution they could start with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

True, I know several that removed the meter and filled the hole with concrete. ;-)

So do I, and the court date has been set up.

One thing that won’t happen is that some will have to pay while others smirk on the sidelines.

That won’t happen, my friend.

Make no mistake about that.

• Advertisement

What court date? The concrete has been curing for over 4 years now. ;-)
    One thing that won’t happen is that some will have to pay while others smirk on the sidelines.

It will though.

See above.
    See above.

What court date? The concrete has been curing for over 4 years now. ;-)

It will though.

See above.

See above.

Don’t know what point you are trying and failing to make, my friend.

Do try to enlighten us.

Do try to enlighten us.

You said a court date was set, what are you talking about ?

You said a court date was set, what are you talking about ?

Can’t you read, Baggy?

I’m aware of several court dates pending for folk who interfered with water meters.

From usually reliable sources, my friend.

I’m aware of several court dates pending for folk who interfered with water meters.
    That's great, none of the people I know that removed the water meter have gotten notice of a court date. You need to be clearer when you say something.

From usually reliable sources, my friend.

You should advise your source about the penalties of breaching GDPR . ;-)

That's great, none of the people I know that removed the water meter have gotten notice of a court date. You need to be clearer when you say something.

You should advise your source about the penalties of breaching GDPR . ;-)

Surely you don’t know everyone who interfered with water meters Baggy?

Or are you on some national anti water meter campaign or something.

Rest assured Middle Ireland won’t be hoodwinked twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Estimated National Broadband Plan cost €3 billion.
    The costs to the public purse isn't going to be recouped from the bill charged to users of the system.

Yet our water service is starved of cash, apparently despite getting ring fenced funding from motor tax AND commercial rates.

Something doesn't add up does it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Surely you don’t know everyone who interfered with water meters Baggy?

It shouldn't be hard for you show where I said I did .
    Or are you on some national anti water meter campaign or something.

Not at all just using my right to comment, same as anyone else. Feel free to ignore.
    Rest assured Middle Ireland won’t be hoodwinked twice.
    How can you hoodwink someone who willingly laid down and allowed themselves to be a doormat. lol.

Btw the polite thing would be to use my user name or an abridged version. Manners cost nothing.

It shouldn't be hard for you show where I said I did .

Not at all just using my right to comment, same as anyone else. Feel free to ignore.

How can you hoodwink someone who willingly laid down and allowed themselves to be a doormat. lol.

Btw the polite thing would be to use my user name or an abridged version. Manners cost nothing.

Apologies there, my bad, had you confused with another poster.

You are correct, that’s bad manners.

Btw nobody laid down and allowed themselves to be a doormat.

That’s like saying those who paid their taxes, their vat, their legal expenses are doormats.People have different views, my friend, different values, different responsibilities and outlooks.

It’s quite disrespectful to refer to those who’s views and ethos you don’t agree with as doormats.

Manners cost nothing.

It’s quite disrespectful to refer to those who’s views and ethos you don’t agree with as doormats.

I said they allowed themselves to be treated like doormats, nuance is important. ;-)

• Advertisement

I said they allowed themselves to be treated like doormats, nuance is important. ;-)

So is the truth..... they didn’t allow themselves to be treated like doormats or they didn’t lie down.

They have a different outlook and see the bigger picture and are not afraid of being ‘on the books’.

There have been several policies which have been put through recently, some popular some not popular.

Are you suggesting that those who agree with some policies “ allowed themselves to be treated like doormats” if you are opposed to them.

You need to be more careful with your language, Mr P.

You need to be more careful with your language, Mr P.

Nothing wrong with my language, it's your willingness to twist it which is the problem. Anyway I'm off for a few pints with friends. You have a good one, keep up the fight for middle Ireland. ;-)

Nothing wrong with my language, it's your willingness to twist it which is the problem. Anyway I'm off for a few pints with friends. You have a good one, keep up the fight for middle Ireland. ;-)

Enjoy, hope it’s not untreated water you are drinking.

So come on then, take the challenge and don't chicken out. Tell us how a family with no meter living in the middle of a large estate will be nailed for going over the quota? And if they're not nailed, sorry but they will be smirking.

So explain please how IW will nail that family by proving they've exceeded the quota.

So come on then, take the challenge and don't chicken out. Tell us how a family with no meter living in the middle of a large estate will be nailed for going over the quota? And if they're not nailed, sorry but they will be smirking.

So explain please how IW will nail that family by proving they've exceeded the quota.

I think your hangover is still there, my friend.

What I suggest is you go back and read the thread again and try to get the context and progression the next time.

I’m certainly not going to do it for you.

I hate lazy posters.

I think your hangover is still there, my friend.

What I suggest is you go back and read the thread again and try to get the context and progression the next time.

I’m certainly not going to do it for you.

I hate lazy posters.

Dear oh dear we are techy. If you can't answer the question then fine but insulting the person asking the question is silly and childish.

I would genuinely like to know how IW intend to prove that a customer buried in the middle of an estate is exceeding the quota. Because I don't believe they can find that out. If you don't know the answer, just say so. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dear oh dear we are techy. If you can't answer the question then fine but insulting the person asking the question is silly and childish.

I would genuinely like to know how IW intend to prove that a customer buried in the middle of an estate is exceeding the quota. Because I don't believe they can find that out. If you don't know the answer, just say so. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

So, your question is, how does a company with a specialty in measuring water going through a pipe, measure water going through a pipe?

Sure, it's easier if there's a meter, but there's multiple other ways to measure water going through a pipe without a meter.

Or do you think, that we as a society, don't have the technological means to measure water going through arbitrary pipes, bearing in mind we're marking 50 years since putting man on the moon, which, coincidentally, was one of the most advanced feats of plumbing engineering in getting all the various liquids (and gases) used on the mission to the correct place safely, in a measurable fashion.

But sure, no meter, impossible to measure, the protesters "win".

astrofool wrote: »
    So, your question is, how does a company with a specialty in measuring water going through a pipe, measure water going through a pipe?
    Sure, it's easier if there's a meter, but there's multiple other ways to measure water going through a pipe without a meter.
    Or do you think, that we as a society, don't have the technological means to measure water going through arbitrary pipes, bearing in mind we're marking 50 years since putting man on the moon, which, coincidentally, was one of the most advanced feats of plumbing engineering in getting all the various liquids (and gases) used on the mission to the correct place safely, in a measurable fashion.
    But sure, no meter, impossible to measure, the protesters "win".

Please provide more details of the tech NASA have supplied Irish Water. Do go on. It must be more than a coincidence that NASA haven't gone there since 1972, the same decade Fianna Fail first scrapped water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Please provide more details of the tech NASA have supplied Irish Water. Do go on.

Fortunately rocket scientist level expertise aren't needed for house plumbing, ring up any random plumber (emergency callout as you seem to want an answer now) and offer them money to measure water going through a pipe.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Fortunately rocket scientist level expertise aren't needed for house plumbing, ring up any random plumber (emergency callout as you seem to want an answer now) and offer them money to measure water going through a pipe.

If rocket scientist level expertise isn't needed why are you mentioning them in this thread!?!

How long are you going to be paying your plumber for, given that the default annual allowance is 213,000 litres?

Advertisement