Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - I figured it out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Still no sign of the package. Showing as left London yesterday at midnight. God knows where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

mikhail wrote: »
    Eircode is a scam run by a private company. An Post has nothing to do with it.

lol try working on the road where you have to find businesses/houses in the middle of nowhere, eircode brings you straight to the door on google maps, a godsend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Hey OP sounds like you were unfortunate enough to be victim of a miss-route. Probably happens way less than 1% of cases but does happen all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I ordered something from the US once and it went to Aus, back to the US then finally to Ireland. These things happen sometimes. Overall I really like an post. I send multiple packages a week and very rarely have a problem. I have never had a problem with packages being sent within Ireland. 99% of them are received next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An Post are brilliant! Had a parcel y;day at around 9 am on a day we (island) never usually have a delivery.. emailed the sender and it was posted in Dublin the evening before.. Ordered something from a firm in dublin y day afternoon and immediately a tracking and notification email from An Post and as in the past it will be here today

They are working hard to achieve good results ... wonderful service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Polar101

My problem is that they don't even try to deliver parcels - they take it straight to the depot, and then I get the "something for you at delivery unit" -card two days later. Looking at tracking there is always a "no answer at address" even though I know the postman didn't a) bring the parcel or b) try to deliver anything.

Polar101 wrote: »
    My problem is that they don't even try to deliver parcels - they take it straight to the depot, and then I get the "something for you at delivery unit" -card two days later. Looking at tracking there is always a "no answer at address" even though I know the postman didn't a) bring the parcel or b) try to deliver anything.

? I just opened a delivery email from An Post and my representative has it, signed etc. As I cannot always get to the door fast, I have authorised that. So it has been delivered and will be here later . Ordered yesterday afternoon from Dublin.

Never had anything as you do.

Do you query this with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I order a lot of records online and I have to say I think An Post has always been spot on. I think it's a great service and we don't appreciate it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Having lambasted them frequently in the past, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to receive a package from them in a timely manner, with no "demands" from them. Maybe they're upping their game?

Previously they've suggested I come meet them a few kilometers away from where I live, or that they could leave the package in a random place that was not my house, or all kinds of weird shenanigans. Yesterday (in a new house) the doorbell rang, a man handed me a package, and it required no effort or multiple phone calls on my part. It was just like using a real courier!

Graces7 wrote: »
    ? I just opened a delivery email from An Post and my representative has it, signed etc. As I cannot always get to the door fast, I have authorised that. So it has been delivered and will be here later . Ordered yesterday afternoon from Dublin.

and here it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

pjdarcy wrote: »
    I find eircodes are very handy when trying to find an exact address on google maps

Or when you want to send post from Donegal to Dublin that doesn't go via London

Latest update. The parcel has arrived back ín Ireland and has been sent back to Portlaoise.

Cant make sense of it. Surely it should have been sent to a distribution centre in Dublin and not back to the midlands, only to be sent back to Dublin again?

Its doing some bloody mileage this parcel. On Monday it will be its 3rd time in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And you thought you had it alll figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There must be something seriously messed up with the address for it to be sent to Portlaoise in the first place. Portlaoise is the international sorting centre so something in the address must be making them think it's destined for somewhere outside of Ireland. Just because you gave the the correct address doesn't necessarily mean that was actually put on the parcel itself.

Alun wrote: »
    There must be something seriously messed up with the address for it to be sent to Portlaoise in the first place. Portlaoise is the international sorting centre so something in the address must be making them think it's destined for somewhere outside of Ireland. Just because you gave the the correct address doesn't necessarily mean that was actually put on the parcel itself.

Its being sent to Dublin Castle though. You would imagine that that would be a clear enough sign that is not going international.

I spoke to the sender, the address is correct on the label, including the eircode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Alun wrote: »

All our ordinary national post goes via Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Tzardine wrote: »
    Latest update. The parcel has arrived back ín Ireland and has been sent back to Portlaoise.

Cant make sense of it. Surely it should have been sent to a distribution centre in Dublin and not back to the midlands, only to be sent back to Dublin again?

Its doing some bloody mileage this parcel. On Monday it will be its 3rd time in Dublin.

If it's a parcel, it will go to portlaoise. Even if you were living around the corner from the Dublin depot and were sending it to your next door neighbor, it would go to portlaoise and then back.

All to do with automation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Eircodes are great.
    No debate.

An Post not so in Dublin especially if you live in a apartment block.
    In fact, they are terrible. (My experience)

Letters with more than a sheet of paper inside not delivered (notice in box)
    Registered items not delivered (notice in box)
    Express post not delivered (notice in box)
    Parcels not delivered (tracked as on van I've never had one arrive, notice in box)

It costs me 4.50 return bus and about 2 hours of my time every time so no, An Post are sh**

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Eircodes are great.
    No debate.

An Post not so in Dublin especially if you live in a apartment block.
    In fact, they are terrible. (My experience)

Letters with more than a sheet of paper inside not delivered (notice in box)
    Registered items not delivered (notice in box)
    Express post not delivered (notice in box)
    Parcels not delivered (tracked as on van I've never had one arrive, notice in box)

It costs me 4.50 return bus and about 2 hours of my time every time so no, An Post are sh**

Put in that you want delivery and this carry on isn't on.

I'd go mad.

Put in that you want delivery and this carry on isn't on.

I'd go mad.

I have multiple times.:mad:
    I just try avoid them as much as possible which is difficult.

• Advertisement

Anyway to get them big boxes fitted???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Plenty of options with an post once you have the tracking number. You can have it dropped off to a parcel point, change delivery address, choose the day for delivery, request redelivery.

If such an issue, make a complaint to the postmaster, they take complaints seriously

Darc19 wrote: »
    Plenty of options with an post once you have the tracking number. You can have it dropped off to a parcel point, change delivery address, choose the day for delivery, request redelivery.

If such an issue, make a complaint to the postmaster, they take complaints seriously

My problem is they never ever make a delivery attempt (I am here all the time)

Have complained multiple times - brick wall.
    I avoid as much as I can.
    Maybe it's just one of those ****holes An Post haven't got around to dragging out of the 70s - Fonthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm waiting on a parcel at the moment from the UK. I initially tried to order it from their Irish website, but was informed that as the item is not available for international shipping, they won't send it to Ireland.

So I opened a DPD parcel wizard account, and ordered it again but from their UK eBay page because it was cheaper. Now I emailed first and got the same 'we don't deliver to Ireland.' So it gets sent to DPDs Depot in the North because that's still the UK so they have to send it.

Anyway Fastway is the courier they used. I'm tracking the parcel when I get an announcement that it is in the Fastway distribution hub in Ireland. In Ballymount. 5 minutes from my home, the same place they said they wouldn't deliver to.

So now it's in DPDs Depot up the North and I should have it Monday. Bonkers.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'm waiting on a parcel at the moment from the UK. I initially tried to order it from their Irish website, but was informed that as the item is not available for international shipping, they won't send it to Ireland.

So I opened a DPD parcel wizard account, and ordered it again but from their UK eBay page because it was cheaper. Now I emailed first and got the same 'we don't deliver to Ireland.' So it gets sent to DPDs Depot in the North because that's still the UK so they have to send it.

Anyway Fastway is the courier they used. I'm tracking the parcel when I get an announcement that it is in the Fastway distribution hub in Ireland. In Ballymount. 5 minutes from my home, the same place they said they wouldn't deliver to.

So now it's in DPDs Depot up the North and I should have it Monday. Bonkers.

That's not an post issues though.

It's a to do with sender and what they're willing to spend on shipping.

I got a deadly outside pub ad light....

It was £100 minimum I got it for £60 delivered and it wasn't small.

Shipping from UK is much better price wise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In fairness to AnPost, they’re considerably quicker than the courier services. 99% of post is delivered next day, couriers generally take 3 to 4 days regardless of where/when it was sent and couriers are no cheaper and in many cases more expensive.

While I find that to be very true of letters I find their delivery of parcels to be consistently the worst of all of them. Its torture trying to get a parcel off them. Maybe its my local depot. But have to I avoid using them for parcels unless I have no other choice. Its been like that for years. Its a pity I would like to support them otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

beauf wrote: »
    While I find that to be very true of letters I find their delivery of parcels to be consistently the worst of all of them. Its torture trying to get a parcel off them. Maybe its my local depot. But have to I avoid using them for parcels unless I have no other choice. Its been like that for years. Its a pity I would like to support them otherwise.

As it took you 10 months to answer this post, I am glad you are not a courier.
    :D

Emmersonn wrote: »

Still in transit

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Don't get me started on ''The Global Shipping Programme'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Emmersonn wrote: »

No idea why it appeared for me. Maybe Boards could eventually fix the search function which has never worked property. Also the bug where it orders forums with the oldest first. Its likely one of either of those things that brought me here.

Advertisement