Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - I figured it out

Options
  • 17-07-2019 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Something that is giving me a laugh this morning. I ordered something last week. It is being sent with An Post from Donegal to Dublin.

It was shipped from Donegal and received in Portlaoise. For some reason it has now arrived in London and is being shipped from London to Dublin.

Good old An Post. They literally put it in a truck from Portlaoise to Dublin, but instead of delivering it to me in the city centre, they have loaded it onto a plane, sent it to London, then put it on another plane to send it back to Dublin.

No wonder they cost a bloody fortune compared to other carriers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tzardine wrote:

It went on an adventure, be happy for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That sounds insane. Insane enough for me to doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

OSI wrote: »
    If they cost so much more then why would you use them?

Carrier of choice by the sender. Not up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think they should have someone personally track every single package. That way there won’t be the very odd package that accidentally goes astray. Maybe it didn’t actually go to London, maybe it was an error with the tracking app?

Anyway my proposal of one person to track each package will ensure this never happens again and will surely save AN Post millions.

That sounds insane. Insane enough for me to doubt it.

Capture.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I was annoyed with An Post yesterday. I'd ordered a dress online and assumed it was coming in a delivery van.
    Instead I arrived home just in time to find the postman on his bike squeezing, and I mean SQUEEZING it through the letterbox.

Not asked to sign for it or anything. It could easily have gone into the wrong house (as has happened here before) and I would have had absolutely no idea where it was.

Just looked at the tracking there and the last thing it's showing is that your parcel arrived in Dublin at 11.45 on Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Odelay wrote: »
    I think they should have someone personally track every single package. That way there won’t be the very odd package that accidentally goes astray. Maybe it didn’t actually go to London, maybe it was an error with the tracking app?

Anyway my proposal of one person to track each package will ensure this never happens again and will surely save AN Post millions.

Or just have An Post set up a Financially sound way of bringing package from A to B, Rather A - London - B

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Or just have An Post set up a Financially sound way of bringing package from A to B, Rather A - London - B

Thats the thing. They actually went A - B - London - B

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I was annoyed with An Post yesterday. I'd ordered a dress online and assumed it was coming in a delivery van.
    Instead I arrived home just in time to find the postman on his bike squeezing, and I mean SQUEEZING it through the letterbox.

Not asked to sign for it or anything. It could easily have gone into the wrong house (as has happened here before) and I would have had absolutely no idea where it was.

Just looked at the tracking there and the last thing it's showing is that your parcel arrived in Dublin at 11.45 on Monday night.

Are you ok after that?

Sounds very traumatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Tzardine wrote: »
    Something that is giving me a laugh this morning. I ordered something last week. It is being sent with An Post from Donegal to Dublin.

It was shipped from Donegal and received in Portlaoise. For some reason it has now arrived in London and is being shipped from London to Dublin.

Good old An Post. They literally put it in a truck from Portlaoise to Dublin, but instead of delivering it to me in the city centre, they have loaded it onto a plane, sent it to London, then put it on another plane to send it back to Dublin.

Take it up with the McRedmond fella who runs An Post. He also seems to think it's OK to close the collection points where the public can put goods into his delivery system. I drove for over 100 miles the other day with a package in the car, passed through several small towns/villages and not a Post Office to be seen. Well they were there but boarded up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Doesn't yer one Angela Scanlon from the new ads live in London?
    Maybe all pieces of post now get send directly to her first so she personally approves them before being sent on their merry way...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

In fairness to AnPost, they’re considerably quicker than the courier services. 99% of post is delivered next day, couriers generally take 3 to 4 days regardless of where/when it was sent and couriers are no cheaper and in many cases more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Tzardine wrote: »
    Capture.jpg

Insane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I find them much better than any of the other services

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looks like human error to me. Somebody put package in wrong sack.

Or it's incorrect address?

Or you have been given the wrong tracking number by sender?

Address is correct. I checked that.

It's quite a big and heavy box being sent, so unlikely to be in the wrong sack.

Could be the wrong tracking number. I will ask the sender to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Next day from Donegal to London ain't bloody bad to give then their dues.

I have checked with the sender. The tracking number is right. She says that this is not the first time they have seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So does eircode work yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's a bit mad but sure you aren't out of pocket or aren't not going to receive the item....

I find An post great to be honest.

Delivery from Amazon and so on are fast and I get let know where it is and if delivery was attempted or not.

Huge improvement to years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In fairness to AnPost, they’re considerably quicker than the courier services. 99% of post is delivered next day, couriers generally take 3 to 4 days regardless of where/when it was sent and couriers are no cheaper and in many cases more expensive.

will not have a word said against An Post. I now only order stuff if they use An Post. The postman knows every house and road in deep rural whereas eg fastway get lost, expect you to go and meet them.. last time i used a courier they dumped 2 parcels over a gate into a field

And no couriers come over to the island.

I order regularly from 2 firms in Dublin. The parcels are delivered to my door the day after i order. even out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Graces7 wrote: »
    will not have a word said against An Post. I now only order stuff if they use An Post. The postman knows every house and road in deep rural whereas eg fastway get lost, expect you to go and meet them.. last time i used a courier they dumped 2 parcels over a gate into a field

And no couriers come over to the island.

I order regularly from 2 firms in Dublin. The parcels are delivered to my door the day after i order. even out here.

Do you not get air drops out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

So does eircode work yet ?
    Eircode is a scam run by a private company. An Post has nothing to do with it.

mikhail wrote: »

What is the scam. Genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A scam how? I find it works really well.

Wait. You're not the "I had this other system that worked great and I wanted to give it to the people free" guy, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

A scam how? I find it works really well.

Wait. You're not the "I had this other system that worked great and I wanted to give it to the people free" guy, are you?

Yeah, he's the Nikola Tesla of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not entirely true to say An Post have nothing to do with it...
    Eircodes are assigned to new property addresses using a valid postal address and verified geo-locations. An Post collects information on new and existing buildings, as well as changes to existing addresses and Ordnance Survey Ireland provides the geo-locations for these buildings. An Post GeoDirectory, issue a new release of the GeoDirectory database file on a quarterly basis to Capita Business Support Services Ireland, trading as Eircode, in accordance with their licence agreement.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

I find eircodes are very handy when trying to find an exact address on google maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just wait until An Post are killed off completely and you have to deal with the private companies like Fastway.

You'll be on your knees begging for them to come back.

Advertisement