Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPs to block Illegal Streaming of UK Premiership games [READ POST #3 BEFORE POSTING]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BandMember

STB. wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can watch the illegal internet streams, the quality is awful and the host sources are riddled with malware.

You completely wrong on every front here - loads of providers can and do offer FHD streams. If you have experienced awful quality malware riddled streams, you either have a rubbish provider and/or you're using free sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

SteM wrote: »
    Sorry, this is just incorrect. Perfect FHD quality streams are available through quality providers.

BandMember wrote: »
    You completely wrong on every front here - loads of providers can and do offer FHD streams. If you have experienced awful quality malware riddled streams, you either have a rubbish provider and/or you're using free sources.

Read the post.

Internet streams as in streaming off an internet website (CRIC ETC) with a laptop NOT illegal IPTV servers.

99% of which are hosted on malicious hosts. I have tracked them. I know what I am talking about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Isn't that a completely legal option though? Under EU law they're allowed to provide their service in any country no?

I don’t really want to get into a conversation on this, but the very first thing I see when I check out their website is: “DAZN is currently available in Brazil, Germany, Spain, Austria, Italy, USA, Switzerland, Canada and Japan.”

So no, it’s not available all over Europe - and if they have Premier League rights - which I understand they have in a sum total of one EU member state - they would have that contract terminated pretty quickly if they were offering it all over Europe.

I thought DAZN only had rights for the EPL within Canada.

But according to their Wiki, that seems to extend to Italy and Spain. Dont know how the EPL are allowing them away with that.

Table of rights and territories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

icdg wrote: »
    I don’t really want to get into a conversation on this, but the very first thing I see when I check out their website is: “DAZN is currently available in Brazil, Germany, Spain, Austria, Italy, USA, Switzerland, Canada and Japan.”

So no, it’s not available all over Europe - and if they have Premier League rights - which I understand they have in a sum total of one EU member state - they would have that contract terminated pretty quickly if they were offering it all over Europe.

As per this article

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-17150054

"The ECJ said last autumn that national laws that prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards were contrary to the freedom to provide services."

• Advertisement

As per this article

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-17150054

"The ECJ said last autumn that national laws that prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards were contrary to the freedom to provide services."

That has been discussed to death here. In the meantime the EU made all kinds of changes to intellectual property rights laws etc.

Whilst as a private citizen you can buy a decoder card for another EU broadcasters channels, for the EPL its useless as the EPL do not allow english commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

sugarman wrote: »

I don't watch / care for any other channels, If it was €40 outright for the Sports channels Inc HD. Id probably pay it. But €80? Forget it lads.

Now TV monthly sports pass €39?

That has been discussed to death here. In the meantime the EU made all kinds of changes to intellectual property rights laws etc.

Whilst as a private citizen you can buy a decoder card for another EU broadcasters channels, for the EPL its useless as the EPL do not allow english commentaries.

Pop it on on the radio or mute it, most commentators just talk ****e anyway.

Pop it on on the radio or mute it, most commentators just talk ****e anyway.

I have had a sub with Canal NC+ previously. I didn't renew it, the polish was more of a distraction than anything else.

I just read up on DAZN (from the guy who created the BBC Iplayer). They are not offering the service in the UK, so its geoblocked outside the countries that they do offer it to. Interestingly it is the Netflix model (12 dollars a month). They are based in London.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcasting/dazn-to-launch-in-spain-with-all-premier-league-games/5134531.article

I have had a sub with Canal NC+ previously. I didn't renew it, the polish was more of a distraction than anything else.

I just read up on DAZN. They are not offering the service in the UK, so its geoblocked outside the countries that they do offer it to. Interestingly it is the Netflix model (12 dollars a month). They are based in London.

Speaking of Netflix I'm surprised they haven't tried to get into the market, especially with amazon moving in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I wouldn't pay them 7 euro a month tbh when it's a free easy work around (and no i'm not posting up how). Sky/BT imo got greedy and this brought about the current massive numbers of people with boxes or watching on laptops.

You wouldn't pay them not because they got greedy but because you don't want to hand over 7 Euro for something you can just steal for free.

Most of the people I see that are giving out about the extortionate prices of subscriptions never had subscriptions in the first place, they're just trying to morally justify their piracy.

For those that did, fair enough.

Speaking of Netflix I'm surprised they haven't tried to get into the market, especially with amazon moving in

There are 7 rights packages for the UK. 5 of the 7 are tied up with Sky (128 games) and BT (32 games) until 2022. They paid 4.5 billion for those 5 in total.

The remaining two packages were experimental. Amazon bought them I think and have 20 games.

Full schedule breakdown of who has what games etc below

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/sport/2019-07-16/premier-league-tv-fixtures-2019-20-sky-sports-bt-sport-amazon-prime-dates-live-online-how-to-watch/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Now TV monthly sports pass €39?

As with sky, you can always get a deal on the price. I have it now for the last 18 months and have never paid more than 60%.of the advertised price.
    Started off with a half price voucher and then went to cancel. Every time they offer 40 or 50% off for two or three months

Netflix don’t and never have done live events, not their model.It’ll be interesting to see if Amazon can cope, they’ve had tennis and (non exclusive I may add) NFL before but the demand for the Merseyside Derby will be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Netflix don’t and never have done live events, not their model.It’ll be interesting to see if Amazon can cope, they’ve had tennis and (non exclusive I may add) NFL before but the demand for the Merseyside Derby will be a challenge.
    The new amazon firesticks have been spoken about on another forum and they couldn't name them because it was people that supposedly worked on them.
    Even if people choose to block updates amazon have a way of turning stuff off (allegedly).
    That will be their biggest challenge, but I doubt they would have bid for it without some sort of backup. The reason they bid in the first place was because they watched what people got up to on the previous sticks, so they knew how much it was worth.

The EU already moved to regulate streaming services.
    If you buy a service in one country within the eu, and go to another you have to be allowed to use that service.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/new-eu-law-lets-you-watch-sky-sports-and-other-paytv-channels-abroad-at-no-extra-cost-36771368.html

That's kind of obvious, they (EU) want to compete with the U.S. market. Not going to happen if they restrict services within every EU country.
    Illegal sellers on facebook and those using amazon firesticks are likely be the first to experience the new law coming into effect.

I think in principle the EU would love to have a single market in broadcasting. In practice they’ve balked at actually doing it. The US only has two languages (English and Spanish) to contend with. Europe has loads and in practice the common market breaks up because people want to watch programming primarily in their own language. They’re also wary that a single market would destroy Europe’s tradition of strong PSBs.

So they baulked at including audiovisual services in the geoblocking regulation, and instead we have the uneasy halfway house of the portability regulation - you can take your media with you, but only on holidays or a business trip lasting less than thirty days.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in Murphy v MPS. It hasn’t led to any sort of major change that was talked about at the time it was handed down and has turned out to turn on its own facts really. The Premier League slapped on a DOG and generic replay wipe on its international broadcasts and for a time told European satellite broadcasters they were limited to one 3pm KO on the satellite platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

sugarman wrote: »
    I don't watch / care for any other channels, If it was €40 outright for the Sports channels Inc HD. Id probably pay it. But €80? Forget it lads.

Now TV offer all the Sky Sports channels for €39 per month
    11 channels in total at 720p HD

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

gibgodsman wrote: »
    It was actually fairly effective due to the need for a VPN if you were in the UK last season. While a VPN is easy enough to use on a PC, using them on Boxes, TV's etc can be more of a challenge due to needing to get specific routers etc. that most just couldn't do.

I honestly just do not understand why Sky or someone doesn't just offer specific packages to watch your teams matches.
    €20 a month to watch Liverpool games only, yes please, would do it instantly.

Because the Premier League do not offer it as a package to be bid on.

Any package like that would be another step to a European Super League.

Exactly, for the reason I mentioned earlier in the thread - the big teams would know instantly how much their individual TV rights were worth (and how little the rights of the Bournemouth or Burnleys of the world are - the clubs that have barely any commercial potential outside of their locality, never mind the international pull of a Man United or Liverpool). This would be the end of the Premier League as we know it.

There are 7 rights packages for the UK. 5 of the 7 are tied up with Sky (128 games) and BT (32 games) until 2022. They paid 4.5 billion for those 5 in total.

The remaining two packages were experimental. Amazon bought them I think and have 20 games.

Full schedule breakdown of who has what games etc below

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/sport/2019-07-16/premier-league-tv-fixtures-2019-20-sky-sports-bt-sport-amazon-prime-dates-live-online-how-to-watch/

There are leagues other that the EPL you know

Amazon never showed any interest either at the start, you've got to start somewhere and I'm surprised Netflix haven't tried get some MLS rights or even some of the cheaper league rights for countries they're available in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 bluebird1

Just wondering does any techie person know will the attempt by ISP's to block illegal streaming also affect IPTV subscription services ?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

bluebird1 wrote: »
    Just wondering does any techie person know will the attempt by ISP's to block illegal streaming also affect IPTV subscription services ?

I seen it with a UK one last season, they basically block the streams and the only way around it is to get VPN working with what ever your using to access the IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why are people so against paying for TV services?
    I mean, you probably get hours and hours of use per month.
    Go to the pub for an hour and you get a few pints, drop 20-30 quid and have some moron screaming at the TV beside you or a lad trying to order pints, go out for brunch every weekend and see how long before you hit 100 quid per month.
    I couldn't be bothered with the nuisance of trying to find a decent stream, all the chats on the page, and waiting for it to be cut off.
    Some things in life have to be paid for and provide more value if you ask me. Pay TV is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

bluebird1 wrote: »

I was told no by my provider BUT he really would say that wouldnt he :pac:

Go to the pub for an hour and you get a few pints, drop 20-30 quid and have some moron screaming at the TV beside you or a lad trying to order pints, go out for brunch every weekend and see how long before you hit 100 quid per month.
    I couldn't be bothered with the nuisance of trying to find a decent stream, all the chats on the page, and waiting for it to be cut off.
    Some things in life have to be paid for and provide more value if you ask me. Pay TV is one of them.

Or go to a match. Most simple solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You've got a lot to learn. You can have all the matched in perfect 1080pHD, even all saturday 3PM kickoffs with English commentary with no ads or chat for as little as 40-50 quid a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

You've got a lot to learn. You can have all the matched in perfect 1080pHD, even all saturday 3PM kickoffs with English commentary with no ads or chat for as little as 40-50 quid a year

Ya but you are assuming that is all I watch......I also watch movies, rugby, etc (I watch a few series but download some of them) and just want to go in, turn on the box and zero hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Ya but you are assuming that is all I watch......I also watch movies, rugby, etc (I watch a few series but download some of them) and just want to go in, turn on the box and zero hardship.

No hardship, honestly. 8 have all that also and no looking for streams. All there presented as well as your sky box with full epg and descriptions. You really are commenting on a topic you obviously know little about (^^)

The high horse brigade banned for 48 hours for promoting illegal methods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Which is what most providers offer. Mine has an app showing all of the UK & Irish channels, a selection of US channels, boxsets of TV shows and movies. I don't even have to turn on a box as it's an android app that sits on the home screen of my android TV. It's as easy to use as Netflix.

Talk of malware, finding a decent stream, chat on pages, bad quality streams, no movies or rugby?? People's idea of streams are weird, like they're stuck in 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement