Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Water not Neded if Dublin Leaks Fixed

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If the govt did right they'd ring fence a tonne of money for pipe repair and get it done in the next downturn. At the moment, any contractor worth their salt is flat out. It'd provide employment during a downturn as well.

Unfortunately, we live in the age of 'financial fiscal contraction', particularly during downturns, so you may forget about this logical approach, austerity is good, apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

If the govt did right they'd ring fence a tonne of money for pipe repair and get it done in the next downturn. At the moment, any contractor worth their salt is flat out. It'd provide employment during a downturn as well.

If the govt did right they'd introduce a basic metered system for water use like they do practically everywhere else in the western world.

I heard IW's rather pathetic appeal this morning for people to only use what they need.

The ONLY way to approach modest use and conservation is for metering of water and a charge by use. It'll probably take the partial collapse of the greater Dublin water supply though to knock that into peoples heads. No pain no gain I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BarryD2 wrote:
    If the govt did right they'd introduce a basic metered system for water use like they do practically everywhere else in the western world.

I do think metering is critical, but best of luck with this, particularly politically, we ve made an absolute mess of this one

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We don't need water charges to do that. Cap the broadband plan budget at €1 billion and take the €2 billion the government were going to waste on it and use it for essential stuff, like the water system.

A once off payment. That'll fix everything. Cool.

Then we can switch off the water so the pipe dont degrade and never need any ongoing maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I heard IW's rather pathetic appeal this morning for people to only use what they need.
    The ONLY way to approach modest use and conservation is for metering of water and a charge by use. It'll probably take the partial collapse of the greater Dublin water supply though to knock that into peoples heads. No pain no gain I guess.

There's metering for commercial water usage.
    Yet car washes continued to operate during last year's drought.

Metered use for domestic users in the UK led to a reduction in use of approx 7-8%. It's not a game changer re: usage.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A once off payment. That'll fix everything. Cool. Then we can switch off the water so the pipe dont degrade and never need any ongoing maintenance.

No we use the broadband pipes to run the water, obviously!
    This bears as much relation to what I wrote as the strawman you are presenting.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Metered use for domestic users in the UK led to a reduction in use of approx 7-8%. It's not a game changer re: usage.

Any reduction in use is better than expansion. It was well reported here a few years ago when metering was first on the agenda, that water usage dropped. The message was getting through to the public that they would need to look at ways of tightening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    but I'd imagine chasing leaks in the Dublin region would be complex, time consuming, highly disruptive, and damn expensive,

Lolz.

I watched one evening as a company contracted by Irish Water dug out my perfectly working relative new water meter and replaced it with on of theirs, and fúcked my one on the back of a truck with the rubble. That action cost between 900-1000 euro.

I quietly said to myself "this is Ireland".

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    taking all of the above into account, it's understandable why the Shannon approach is favoured by some, but it makes little or no sense environmentally

I don't understand it, I can guess why it's favored though.

But forget it is water. Pretend it is crude oil.

'Irish Petroleum' want to build a 170km pipe line for "insert billions here" to pump crude oil to a refinery in Dublin. Cost of running it and maintaining, again anyones guess.

Once there, they make lovely petrol at a fairly substantial cost, then it pumps that petrol around Dublin losing 50% of it on the way forever.

Now imagine the management team went to the CEO with that plan.

Not only would he have them fired, he would have had them sanctioned.

It's fúcking loony tunes time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fix the leaks, then fix the consumption (charge for excessive use), then look at where you are at re Shannon, not the opposite order.
    1. You can do more than one thing at a time. 2. You need to plan for the future.
    flazio wrote: »
    There's already two water lines running from the Shannon to Dublin. The Royal Canal and the Grand Canal.
    You realise that birds, animals and boat users pee and poo in this water, that is largely stagnant? And that you would have to pump up from the Shannon anyway?
    They even charge them for it!
    Car washes recycle their water.

Victor wrote: »
    Car washes recycle their water.

Not the 2 I go to, it goes down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Migaloo

Why don't they pipe water from the Boyne? Only 50KM from the city...all downhill as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Victor wrote: »
    1. You can do more than one thing at a time. 2. You need to plan for the future.

You can, but 1. This is a useless utility who would probably dig up the road to replace the pipes the week after a new surface has been laid and 2. Future planning is always trumped by vote winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Boggles wrote: »
    Once there, they make lovely petrol at a fairly substantial cost, then it pumps that petrol around Dublin losing 50% of it on the way forever.
    Oh no! What will happen to the soil with all that petroleum leaking into it? It'll be an environmental catastrophe. And what waste! Do they think crude oil falls from the sky?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Lolz.

I watched one evening as a company contracted by Irish Water dug out my perfectly working relative new water meter and replaced it with on of theirs, and fúcked my one on the back of a truck with the rubble. That action cost between 900-1000 euro.

I quietly said to myself "this is Ireland".

I don't understand it, I can guess why it's favored though.

But forget it is water. Pretend it is crude oil.

'Irish Petroleum' want to build a 170km pipe line for "insert billions here" to pump crude oil to a refinery in Dublin. Cost of running it and maintaining, again anyones guess.

Now imagine the management team went to the CEO with that plan.

Not only would he have them fired, he would have had them sanctioned.

It's fúcking loony tunes time again.

Unless the 170km pipeline was quicker and cheaper than fixing the existing, sprawling infrastructure. In which case this is exactly what they would do. And if it was a CEO who was looking to hike up share prices he would care a lot more about the short term then the long term impact of the decision also.

It is not a remotely implausible scenario for a private company to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Unless the 170km pipeline was quicker and cheaper than fixing the existing, sprawling infrastructure. In which case this is exactly what they would do. And if it was a CEO who was looking to hike up share prices he would care a lot more about the short term then the long term impact of the decision also.

It is not a remotely implausible scenario for a private company to get into.

The pipes won't get any better though and eventually somebody will have to face up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not the 2 I go to, it goes down the drain.

And what is under that drain. Could it possible be connected to a tank to recycle the water

And what is under that drain. Could it possible be connected to a tank to recycle the water

No.

Advertisement