Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you ever get slapped as a child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Only when I was getting f*cked from behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

My mother didn't need to be physical. The look and the verbal lashing was enough to give me nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes and I can honestly say, other than the double-vision and occasional headache, it never did me any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Often, wooden spoon on the bare arse many a time and never did me a bit of harm, in fact...

Oh crap, gotta go, have an appointment at 6 with dominatrix debbie, it's the only way I can achieve pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Gerry G wrote: »
    Reserve that thought until you have kids. They can test the absolute limits of your patience
    I have lots of them and they do test your patience.

But I have never laid a finger on them and I never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

A reminder that slapping a child is now illegal in Ireland. There is no good reason whatsoever to slap a child. 50 years of research cannot identify a single positive outcome. If you’re slapping your child, you’re not teaching them to behave appropriately. In fact, you’re teaching them that an appropriate action when being annoyed is to slap someone. Then a child is likely punished for taking the same action and hitting a sibling. You would press charges if another adult slapped you. Hence why it’s now illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Ehhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭This is it

I got a few slaps and a few belts of a wooden spoon. I don't think it did me any harm but at the same time it's not the kind of discipline I'll be using with my son, it shows a lack of control in my opinion.

We teach kids not to hit others, hardly ideal if you're smacking them yourself.

Yeah, the odd slap probably isn't as bad as the psychological abuse that can still go on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

As a child? Did you read the thread title before you tried to be funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Parents used slapping as a final resort and I always deserved it. In fact, the times when I didn't get a slap I found worse because that meant disappointment rather than anger with me. Was very rare though and I can't remember any instances clearly so obviously meant little to me except to put some manners on me :)

Teachers at national school used to get the ruler, usually quite deserved. When I went into the headmasters class though he was a fairly vicious bastard and metre stick was used on the hand. Was disproportionate to the crime usually, he should have been pulled up on it but small village etc... only slaps that I have a bit of grudge about.

Secondary school time it had been banned but it didn't stop one old lad giving you a clitter or two around the ears - always fully deserved though so I have no bad memories of it :)

The knife (flat side) or the fork across the knuckles at the dinner table was a favorite of my mothers! It sure did sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Saw a twenty something in pyjamas outside a shop in Dublin 1. Her unruly small kids provoked an horrendous, unjustified foul-mouthed tirade, and when that failed to restore order, she issued a beating that a medieval christian brother would've been ashamed of. A part of me wonders if she got the same as a kid. I can think of no other reason for her acting like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

All this teaches a child is physical abuse of another who is smaller or weaker is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Jab of an auld cigarette would put you good n straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

All this teaches a child is physical abuse of another who is smaller or weaker is ok.
    Agreed. That's what makes me think the mother is a "victim" as her kids are. A pity she isn't made of what it takes to rise above it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

yes. not a hugh amount in comparison to some and yes maybe it did me no harm physically or mentally but who really knows these things.

have never raised my hand to my kids. how hypocritical would it be for me to tell them its wrong to hit and then hit them for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I did. Only when I did something wrong, and it was effective way to make me stop doing that thing. I see nothing wrong with it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

wakka12 wrote: »
    I did. Only when I did something wrong, and it was effective way to make me stop doing that thing. I see nothing wrong with it at all
    You like the bit of spanking

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Occsaionally. I started hitting back at one point. For some reason, my parents tried to reason with me after that and it worked.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

"It never did me any harm."

Someone countered that to me on boards once with "yes it did it made you think hitting a child was okay".

Still not entirely sure where I stand on the subject but it did make me think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Someone countered that to me on boards once with "yes it did it made you think hitting a child was okay".

Still not entirely sure where I stand on the subject but it did make me think.

It's not so much the "hitting you child is wrong" argument; it's the logic that the child receives that hitting someone you don't agree with is ok.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

got a few ,but this was classic, my mother was a housekeeper for some Swedish people here in the late 60's [i was born 1960] they always had loads of Carlsberg in the house [don't think it had even came to Ireland then?] + loads of cigarette's so one day me and their youngest daughter decided to have a drink and a smoke,[we're only 8 or 9] so off we went into a room and opened the window[no ejits eh] next thing we heard my mam coming up the stairs so behind the wardrobe with the beer and out the window with the fag, sure she could smell the smoke a mile away, she grabbed me and started to slap me while the swedish lassie ran for the door, [her father was a giant of a man] at this stage the slapping had stopped but then i heard her father laughing out load and he shouted up to my mother 'They were drinking also ha,ha, ha,[ the little bitch had hung me out to dry], well the legs were red for the rest of the night.[my mother was a non drinker.]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Called my mother a very bad name once, think I was 12 or 13, she beat me around with a poker, at that stage I was a lot bigger than her, by jasus I was terrified

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I was hit with the wooden spoon and mums slippers, it taught me to have respect for my parents and do what they said, never done me any harm. Giving a child a small snack is ok although grounding or no games consoles would be better.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I was hit with the wooden spoon and mums slippers, it taught me to have respect for my parents and do what they said, never done me any harm. Giving a child a small snack is ok although grounding or no games consoles would be better.

Is it ok for a child to give another child a small smack?

No need to answer because it's obvious, no, it's not ok. And it's not ok to hit a child, whether you're their parent or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

We got A slap of length of alkathene pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Be interesting to see the statistics. Someone add a poll before I dish out slaps.

My dad never hit me but my mother slapped me once but it was totally deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

This is it wrote: »
    Is it ok for a child to give another child a small smack?

No need to answer because it's obvious, no, it's not ok. And it's not ok to hit a child, whether you're their parent or not.

As a punishment in the past a small smack did do the job an taught a child that what they did was wrong, it was only when parents went beyond a small smack that it created problems.

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    As a punishment in the past a small smack did do the job an taught a child that what they did was wrong, it was only when parents went beyond a small smack that it created problems.

Plenty of ways to discipline a child without resorting to hitting them. If a parent uses hitting a child to teach them, they're failing as a parent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement