Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you ever get slapped as a child?

Options
  • 13-07-2019 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many of you got slapped as a child. I did, by my mother who had hands like leather from years of working outdoors. I never ever got slapped for no reason and never got slapped around the head or face. I got reprimanded for doing wrong and when I did I learned not to do the wrong thing again. Always got the hard hand on the back of the leg and it stung like bejaysus.

It never did me an ounce of harm and on rare occasions I have reprimanded my own kids with a stinger to the back of the legs. Society nowadays will severely frown upon it and point to child abuse and teaching a child that violence is ok and blah blah blah. I honestly feel that if more children had received slaps as punishment for doing wrong when they were kids then society wouldnt be in such a sorry state with generations of young people running around with absolutely no fear of authority or repercussion for wrong doing.
    Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Slapped, clattered, sally rod, poker and handle of a brush. And i deserved every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I did.

Done me no harm at all.

Why ? YOU STARTIN' SOMETHIN' ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The wooden spoon is where it was at, many a broken one in the process. Must have been good money in the wooden spoon business back in 70's & 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Beaten with a strap at home and in school. The schools had specially made leather straps. I'd imagine the only place you could buy such a thing nowadays is in a sex shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The wooden spoon was very common

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Luckily no, his anger had subsided by the time I came along, my previous 4 siblings weren't as fortunate. Now that he's in his dotage we're supposed to play the loving family to this vicious fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Slapped, belted, pushed, hut with objects....ended up in hospital a few times over it.

Unlike a previous poster I didn't deserve any of it but this was the 80's, no one cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Beaten with a strap at home and in school. The schools had specially made leather straps. I'd imagine the only place you could buy such a thing nowadays is in a sex shop.

Never got the strap treatment, cant imagine it being very pleasant either unless you're into that sort of thing.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Slapped, belted, pushed, hut with objects....ended up in hospital a few times over it.

Unlike a previous poster I didn't deserve any of it but this was the 80's, no one cared.

Sorry to hear that. This is obviously the other side of things which cant be condoned but unfortunately was all too common and still goes on to this day sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »

My great grand father had a job before at making the straps for the schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I got it once, well more like a wooden spoon thrown across the room and in to the face.
    I never forgot that and I never did what I did again.
    One time and thinking back it put manners on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

branie2 wrote: »
    The wooden spoon was very common

Oh you amateur....did you not file it down after each new one was bought ?

Yep wooden spoon, slapped and the ruler used in school.... did us no harm..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yup, never too hard and always on arse or legs. Never a single one that i didn't deserve and I'd even go as fas as to say im surprised i didn't get twice as many cos i was a little bollix when i was younger.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My mother would give me slap if I was misbehaving. I got the wooden spoon as well. I remember she hit me so hard with it one time it broke in half. I can still feel the burning sensation, I remember just grinning at her because I didn't want her to know it really hurt :pac:. My grandmother was a very harsh woman who definitely wouldn't have held back with my mother. There was never malicious intent from my mother, I just got it when I deserved it. I don't have kids but I wouldn't slap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yes and i blame all my fùck ups, vices and weaknesses on it. handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

An odd slap but nothing severe. The issue with slapping children hinges on the severity. Some seem to have endured what amounted to brutality.

My mother would give me slap if I was misbehaving. I got the wooden spoon as well. I remember she hit me so hard with it one time it broke in half. I can still feel the burning sensation, I remember just grinning at her because I didn't want her to know it really hurt :pac:. My grandmother was a very harsh woman who definitely wouldn't have held back with my mother. There was never malicious intent from my mother, I just got it when I deserved it. I don't have kids but I wouldn't slap them.

Reserve that thought until you have kids. They can test the absolute limits of your patience

An odd slap but nothing severe. The issue with slapping children hinges on the severity. Some seem to have endured what amounted to brutality.

Which again I would never condone. I never remember getting multiple slaps at the same time. One from my old dear was usually enough and always perfectly placed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes I did and I lost all respect for my parents over it. I reasoned with my mother so she stopped and we have a good relationship now. I don't think every parent who slaps their child has done irreparable damage, but it's a gamble you take depending on the child you're dealing with. Context of societal norms is of course a factor in the impact too. However from what I have seen, the vast majority of parents who slap do so out of anger and not as some sort of controlled, measured lesson as they so often claim. And in my experience the yobs out causing trouble with no fear of consequences are certainly not missing out on a few slaps at home - I would say they are the most likely to live in homes where a clatter is seen as acceptable parenting.

• Advertisement

Yes I did and I lost all respect for my parents over it. I reasoned with my mother so she stopped and we have a good relationship now. I don't think every parent who slaps their child has done irreparable damage, but it's a gamble you take depending on the child you're dealing with. Context of societal norms is of course a factor in the impact too. However from what I have seen, the vast majority of parents who slap do so out of anger and not as some sort of controlled, measured lesson as they so often claim. And in my experience the yobs out causing trouble with no fear of consequences are certainly not missing out on a few slaps at home - I would say they are the most likely to live in homes where a clatter is seen as acceptable parenting.

You lost all respect over a slap? What age were you when it happened? Was it for nothing? Just wondering, I'm not having a go at you or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes got hit and it was always out of anger on my mother's behalf. Never as a measured disciplinary approach. I now have kids of my own and would never consider hitting them even when they act up and drive me around the bend!

If you must resort to hitting your child then your parenting skills are not what they should be IMHO.

Gerry G wrote: »
    You lost all respect over a slap? What age were you when it happened? Was it for nothing? Just wondering, I'm not having a go at you or anything.

It was the go to method for dealing with any and all poor behaviour so it happened several days a week, sometimes several times a day, for as long as I can remember. I would say it was the exact same as other families around us so nothing unusual in the context of the time and place.

It was the go to method for dealing with any and all poor behaviour so it happened several days a week, sometimes several times a day, for as long as I can remember. I would say it was the exact same as other families around us so nothing unusual in the context of the time and place.

That's a shame. I only ever got a slap if I deserved it and believe me I deserved every one I got

Some adults feel the impact of less than adequate parenting yet they were never slapped. It isn't the ideal I don't think but it doesn't necessarily mean that the child will be affected as an adult.

There are so many other variables at play. Parents aren't perfect but they must be "good enough". In other words do their best to provide for their children's emotional and physical needs with no incidence of abuse.

Gerry G wrote: »
    That's a shame. I only ever got a slap if I deserved it and believe me I deserved every one I got

Perhaps you would think I deserved most of them too? The concept of deserving something is very subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

The slap was fine, punishment over and done with, the silent treatment however ............ or the I don't know what I did wrong with ya line .......

Didn't get in trouble much but in high infants we had a game where we had to steal and not get caught and I got caught. I would have took a few slaps over the "why didn't ya ask me to buy It, were ya afraid oh I'm such a bad mother" follows by silence treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

at school, the ruler across the palm, done with great ceremony and delay; only ever once.

best not elaborate on my father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Yes.

But the snide remarks, resentment, contempt and belittling hurt a lot more .

Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Probably not hard enough. Freud reckons that's why I am such a pervert.

It is fine as long as it is not abused... imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement