Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors contributing to Ireland's Insurance Fraud Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Girl touched light bulb, sued through her parents, got 6,500.

No, really.
    Bouncy castles had been laid on at the hotel but due to rain one was brought indoors.

The court heard the hotel was setting up for another event which involved lighting and that girl put her hand on a bulb and was burned

Bouncy Castle + Kids + hot lights left around = negligence.

Kid got "injured" because of said negligence.

I don't see the outrage in this one, payment isn't even that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Girl touched light bulb, sued through her parents, got 6,500.

No, really.

You wouldnt get 6500 for touching a lightbulb. What was the injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

easypazz wrote: »
    I could only read first few lines but it sounds like there was a lamp (in the room or lobby or bar, who knows)

She touched it and burned her fingers, given it ONLY €6500 the burns must have been superficial and she made a full recovery almost immediately with perhaps a visit or 2 to A and E.

Its absolutely disgraceful people are getting money for trivial accidents that when they happen at home they just get on with it.

I hope they did not go the A&E for that, unless she held the bulb for about ten minutes. In which case I'd have her assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Found it on breaking news..

Two and a half, where were the parents???

A young girl who got burned on her hand after she touched a light bulb at a Dublin hotel has been awarded €6,500 in damages.

The child, sueing through her mother, took a civil action against the Rolestown House Hotel Ltd, trading as Kettles Country House hotel.

Judge Michael Coghlan heard that on August 6, 2017 the girl, then aged two and half, was brought to the hotel in Swords by her family.

Bouncy castles had been laid on but due to rain one was indoors.

The hotel was setting up for another event later which involved lighting.

The girl put her hand on a bulb and it was burned.

She was brought to the A&E in Tallaght hospital and her left hand which had a five centimetre burn was bandaged.

Just over four months later she was seen again and had no disfigurement or scarring, and had made a complete recovery.

Judge Coghlan noted that child was left-handed and there would have been some discomfort but there was no long lasting effects.

Judge Coghlan approved the injury assessment offer of €6,500 in damages. He directed that the money was to be paid into court funds on behalf of the girl until she reaches full age.

He also awarded €187 for expenses and €750 in legal costs.

Boggles wrote: »
    Bouncy Castle + Kids + hot lights left around = negligence.

Kid got "injured" because of said negligence.

I don't see the outrage in this one, payment isn't even that high.

How badly was she burned? With such a small payout she must have only had a blister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

You wouldnt get 6500 for touching a lightbulb. What was the injury?

If it was a stage light those things would get very hot, not like regular small bulb

Found it on breaking news..

Two and a half, where were the parents???

A young girl who got burned on her hand after she touched a light bulb at a Dublin hotel has been awarded €6,500 in damages.

The child, sueing through her mother, took a civil action against the Rolestown House Hotel Ltd, trading as Kettles Country House hotel.

Judge Michael Coghlan heard that on August 6, 2017 the girl, then aged two and half, was brought to the hotel in Swords by her family.

Bouncy castles had been laid on but due to rain one was indoors.

The hotel was setting up for another event later which involved lighting.

The girl put her hand on a bulb and it was burned.

She was brought to the A&E in Tallaght hospital and her left hand which had a five centimetre burn was bandaged.

Just over four months later she was seen again and had no disfigurement or scarring, and had made a complete recovery.

Judge Coghlan noted that child was left-handed and there would have been some discomfort but there was no long lasting effects.

Judge Coghlan approved the injury assessment offer of €6,500 in damages. He directed that the money was to be paid into court funds on behalf of the girl until she reaches full age.

He also awarded €187 for expenses and €750 in legal costs.

Absolute disgrace.

How badly was she burned? With such a small payout she must have only had a blister.

5 cm burn apparently. I image they were stage lights, not a 60w bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF that's a health and safety issue. The hotel f***ed up. Lighting should have been nowhere near kids, kids there to play.

caff wrote: »
    If it was a stage light those things would get very hot, not like regular small bulb

Point is she made a full recovery.

People should be awarded incidental compensation for these things,

€1000 would be ample to cover the inconvenience of going to A+E twice, maybe a day missed off work etc.

• Advertisement

5 cm burn apparently. I image they were stage lights, not a 60w bulb.

Made a full recovery though.

Made a full recovery though.

I know.

But whether she made a full recovery or not, there was negligence.

The hotel or insurance company valued this negligence at 6500 and settled.

Health and Safety is there for a reason, don't leave things lying around that can get up to 100s of degrees beside a bouncy castle.

I know.

But whether she made a full recovery or not, there was negligence.

The hotel or insurance company valued this negligence at 6500 and settled.

Health and Safety is there for a reason, don't leave things lying around that can get up to 100s of degrees beside a bouncy castle.

The book of quantum would, I assume, be the guide to compensation.

The issue as I see it is that these generous awards will encourage more and more people to stick in a claim for the smallest things.

And guess what, premiums will go up and up, businesses will fold and this country will not be the better for it.

The book of quantum would, I assume, be the guide to compensation.

The issue as I see it is that these generous awards will encourage more and more people to stick in a claim for the smallest things.

And guess what, premiums will go up and up, businesses will fold and this country will not be the better for it.

6 and half grand wouldn't be an overly generous reward using the book of quantum as a guide.

Also 750 legal fees would hardly be excessive.

Again I don't see the outrage in this one.

6 and half grand wouldn't be an overly generous reward using the book of quantum as a guide.

Also 750 legal fees would hardly be excessive.

Again I don't see the outrage in this one.

Yeah you are right. Lets keep bawling out piles of cash for minor accidents.

Yeah you are right. Lets keep bawling out piles of cash for minor accidents.

The hotel settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Least risky option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

The hotel settled.

Because rolling the dice in court in front of the headbangers we've appointed to the judiciary had a good chance of returning an even higher payout.

The child wasn't seriously hurt. That should be that.

The definition of negligence has been distorted by unabashed greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nermal wrote: »
    Because rolling the dice in court in front of the headbangers we've appointed to the judiciary had a good chance of returning an even higher payout.

The child wasn't seriously hurt. That should be that.

The definition of negligence has been distorted by unabashed greed.

or more likely because they knew they were negligent.

The hotel settled.

Was it not the insurance company?

• Advertisement

or more likely because they knew they were negligent.

Yes there may have been negligence, but the injury was minor, a full recovery was made and it only necessitated a day trip to a + e, not even a night in hospital.

This nonsense will keep encouraging more and more to do it, and premiums will keep rising.

Doesn't state.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The hotel settled.
    Doesn't state.

The hotel was claiming on it's insurance then the insurance company have the right to settle on the hotels behalf.

Another

A child who fell off a stage at a wedding in a Co Donegal hotel has been awarded €35,000.

Barrister Peter Nolan told the court that the child fell off a stage during the wedding and suffered a laceration.

He was rushed to Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry where he was treated on the night.

Mr Nolan read the reports from two plastic surgeons which the child has been attending.

Both said that the scar, which is around the child's eyebrow, is visible but is expected to heal well.

And another

A Dublin girl, who was left with slightly stunted finger after she caught her hand in a door in her primary school, has been awarded damages of €10,000 at Dublin District Court.

So what next, all hotels remove their stages so looper, hyper kids don't go jumping off them.

Should we remove all doors from public buildings, because how else do you stop the risk of an accident of somebody catching their finger in a door happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Paywall on most IT articles these days. Whats the jist of this payout?

It's free to register. Once you register, you don't have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Six One News has a case example - I'll assume this fella had legal advice.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mibi-case-man-back-pain-4983483-Jan2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The guards need to start procesuting a few of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The Journal appear highly selective in their reporting of this case....one would wonder why ?

It appears the Irish Independent have no such qualms...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/compensation-claim-withdrawn-after-video-emerges-of-wheelchair-bound-claimant-walking-in-dublin-38903582.html
    On Tuesday, counsel for Mr Iosca told the court his client was withdrawing the case.

Not only had the good Mr Iosca legal advice,but he had COUNSEL....who may well end up getting paid anyway !!!
    Mr Justice Cross noted the case had been withdrawn and he awarded costs to the MIBI against Mr Iosca.

:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

irishgeo wrote: »
    The guards need to start procesuting a few of these lads.

I agree, solicitors need to be arrested and prosecuted for promoting false claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

AlekSmart wrote: »

Not only had the good Mr Iosca legal advice,but he had COUNSEL....who may well end up getting paid anyway !!!
    And the chances if the MIBI getting their costs back from this fella = 0

Advertisement