Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to posh place for drink and meal don't know how to conduct myself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What do I do?

What do I wear?

Is it ok for me to ask the other person what I should order???

How should I speak?

I am most discombobulated !
    :eek:

There isn’t a formal dress code in Chapter One, but elegant casual would be the way to go - your favourite little black dress, some fine jewellery and not too heavy on the makeup.

It’s perfectly ok to ask the other person what to order, but you can also cast your eye over the menu here, plenty of variety -

https://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/menus/four-course-dinner/

Speak as you normally would, it’s not that pretentious. I’ve got an accent somewhere between a bogger and a city knackcent, and as long as you’re not loud or drawing attention to yourself, you’ll be fine.

Lastly, speaking of not drawing attention to yourself, this is obvious for most people, but for Gods sake don’t go getting all affectionate with each other at the dining table. Save that for afters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Tasting menu is always good, if there's something you don't like someone else with you is bound to want it. If I just want a big feed that I already know I like I end up in Iskanders or Zaytoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

JayZeus wrote: »
    What’s the occasion?

Business dinner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You gotta watch them fancy restaurants they'll try and shaft you every time if they think you're an imposter

You need to assert dominance.

Start with Gazpacho Soup - warn them that if it's not pipping hot you'll send it back

Steak Tartare - insist on getting it rare, not medium rare. very important.

now that you've established control let the waiter recommend the wine , agree sagely , but demand that it's corked , after all half the fun is uncorking it

You gotta watch them fancy restaurants they'll try and shaft you every time if they think you're an imposter

You need to assert dominance.

Start with Gazpacho Soup - warn them that if it's not pipping hot you'll send it back

Steak Tartare - insist on getting it rare, not medium rare. very important.

now that you've established control let the waiter recommend the wine , agree sagely , but demand that it's corked , after all half the fun is uncorking it
    I am more worried about covering up the fact that our HR director is acting head of sales right now and we have no idea what we are doing.

But maybe this will help distract them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reminds me of the time the wife sat for ten minutes wondering what to choose from the menu.

Eventually I had to step in and select, "Play Movie."

Reminds me of the time the wife sat for ten minutes wondering what to choose from the menu.

I shall take 20 mins at least not to be outdone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Here we go. No need to thank me.
    What do I do? Panic.

What do I wear? Mixture of lycra / pvc

Is it ok for me to ask the other person what I should order??? Order what's cheapest

How should I speak? Incredibly loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Does it take that long to decide between the 7 inch and the nine inch pizza with pineapple toppings?

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Here we go. No need to thank me.

I look ****in hot in lyrca. Dont think i won't either!

• Advertisement

If its nice i might go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I look ****in hot in lyrca.

Me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Surely you've seen Pretty Woman?
    For Cutlery start on the outside and work your way in ;)
    If Escargot are on the menu, the OAP waiter will be a deft catcher of any that fly off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

You'd swear the restaurant is paying the customers with all these rules of decorum

@Iloveyourvibes

I wonder what country your from? I was thinking Polish, but you seem more cheerful.

I don't think.Ukrainian. Maybe Czech?

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Me too :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Business dinner.

Go on, give us all the where and when and we will all randomly pass your table and stop and with a ..
    "... Heey L.Y.V., great to see you, thanks for all your help with that last project, Great Job, see you soon" or other similar great bundles of praise, nothing too cheesy mind, but anything to help get the job :D:)

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Go on, give us all the where and when and we will all randomly pass your table and stop and with a ..
    "... Heey L.Y.V., great to see you, thanks for all your help with that last project, Great Job, see you soon" or other similar great bundles of praise, nothing too cheesy mind, but anything to help get the job :D:)

Ooooh!

Don't forget to wear Hawaiian shirts! There is a 20 in it for each of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Do pretty much everything in this :

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I really don’t know what advice I can give just don’t make a meal of it?

Which of course would defy the whole point. It’s a difficult one

Do pretty much everything in this :

That's HILARIOUS where is it from!? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That's HILARIOUS where is it from!? :P

Withnail and I (1987) imdb
    Classic movie, Richard E. Grant at his best.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Withnail and I (1987) imdb
    Classic movie, Richard E. Grant at his best.

Unusual title.

Seems very different and funny.

I think i would like it.

Dont ask for ketchup when you order the risotto

Edgware wrote: »
    Does that have cheese in it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Edgware wrote: »

Ambience is important

I need ambient lighting...they better have ambient lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What do I do?

What do I wear?

Is it ok for me to ask the other person what I should order???

How should I speak?

I am most discombobulated !
    :eek:

Smart casual, if the person/people you're dining with are familiar with the restaurant then by all means ask for recommendations, its not considered rude not to adhere to these recommondations, especially if you're eating with a party of three or more. Speak the way you always speak, but be mindful of other diners. I.e, if you've a large hearty booming voice consider toning it down a bit. This is just a suggestion, if yer in good form don't let me dampen your evening. Its the height of importance to be especially nice to front of house staff. They are the ones who can make the difference between a potentially great night out or a pricey, damp squib.
    If however all these efforts on your behalf fall flat, and food and service are sub par, then its acceptable to defecate in the sink. Staff will take no offence, as its a subtle hint for them to smile a little more the following evening. Worst kept secret in the industry. Have a shyte in the sink and you'll be treated like a god if you darken the door again. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I need ambient lighting...they better have ambient lighting.

How about really harsh spotlighting all the establishments seem to favour nowadays :cool: you’ll be fine...

Ambience is important

The original risotto with ketchup man.
    ( also has a good sketch about peeping out the curtains!)

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    How about really harsh spotlighting all the establishments seem to favour nowadays :cool: you’ll be fine...
    I am paying for ambient lighting! :mad:

I DEMAND THE FINEST AMBIENT LIGHTING AVAILABLE TO HUMANITY!:D

Advertisement