Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2019 - Round 10 Silverstone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AMKC wrote: »
    Great race just ruined by the bad strategy for Bottas by Mercedes and by Hamilton winning which makes it more boring. I am sorry but sometime's he just annoys me. Do you think he would be like that if he had came second like last year. Nope he would go off whinging like he did last year. Really should have been Valterie Bottas's race. Fecking Giovanazi and the safety car ruined the race I think.

Aye the safety car ruined the race as a contest and gift wrapped it for Hamilton, but what can you do, was not his fault at the end of the day. C'est la Vie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

If I was LeClerc I'd be pushing for Merc or Red Bull seat. They are more professional and have the hunger to win. Ferrari just don't have the edge and I can see them moving backwards as Red Bull push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel announces that he's retiring at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Clumsy Vettel crash after a mediocre race by him beforehand, lucky to be in 3rd up to that point.

He's had really terrible racecraft for some years and now it's coming to a head when he's trying to scrap it against superior racers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel announces that he's retiring at the end of the season.

It's plausible for sure. Alonso only lasted 5 seasons with Ferrari before he had enough of their ineptitude. Vettel is in his 5th season with them now...

• Advertisement

skipper_G wrote: »
    It's plausible for sure. Alonso only lasted 5 seasons with Ferrari before he had enough of their ineptitude. Vettel is in his 5th season with them now...

Where would he go though? Merc, Red Bull or stay at Ferrari, they are surely the only 3 viable options at this point in time? I can't see Merc taking him and upsetting the applecart, Max is a better option for Redbull, and Ferrari is where he is?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Where would he go though? Merc, Red Bull or stay at Ferrari, they are surely the only 3 viable options at this point in time? I can't see Merc taking him and upsetting the applecart, Max is a better option for Redbull, and Ferrari is where he is?

As Jordan 199 said above, he could retire

I missed all the build up, for anyone who watched on C4. Did EJ reveal some news about Mclaren? Any details?

As Jordan 199 said above, he could retire

Would be a shame if he did, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Eddie Jordan just leaked to Channel 4 that David Coulthard is president of BRDC at Silverstone.

• Advertisement

Eddie Jordan just leaked to Channel 4 that David Coulthard is president of BRDC at Silverstone.

Put DC on the spot but he confirmed it, EJ is at his best when he's stirring the pot

WEbber turning the screw with both Horner and yer man from Ferrari, questioning Vettel's general ability going forward.

I'd be inclined to agree but we don't see Coulthard pushing as hard on that!

Webber is making the point that even if they change tack and make Leclerc the number 1 they won't beat Mercedes and he's spot on. Ferrari make too many bad decisions or in many cases they simply don't make a decision at all. It costs them in races too many times. Operationally Mercedes are better in every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Not at all. It's been fascinating to watch Hamilton develop into a polished superstar as he has got older and Vettel decline into accident-prone mediocrity as he has got older

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

If Ferrari were in a championship to screw things up, they'd probably screw that up as well. If they don't dick over LeClerc with poor strategy, Vettel will be his usual blundersome self. Poor strategy and mistakes have been happening since Sergio Marchionne passed away 12 months ago.

They need strategists, good aero people, and a good team manager to pull it all together. Mattio Binotto is a great engineer who should be left to concentrate on his forte and not team management. Only the engine people are - pardon the pun - firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I can see vettel retiring in the next couple seasons. He’s even said depending how the rule changes are for 2021.

Was a good race tho,
    honestly Thought Charles would be in the mix straight away on the softs, was shocked in the difference.

The fact Hamilton set fastest lap on hards is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Inquitus wrote:

I think Hamilton wants to drive for Ferrari before he retires simply because no other team currently competing has the tradition and stature within the sport that it has. Leclerc is a very priveliged boy to now be in that position considering Verstappen has a much more impressive record to date. Seb dearly wants to win a title with the Scuderia but that's quite unlikely now. What is more likely to occur is Seb and Lewis swapping places in 2021. I think it's far too early to write Vettel off. A move to Merc could well rejuvinate his career.

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think Hamilton wants to drive for Ferrari before he retires simply because no other team currently competing has the tradition and stature within the sport that it has. Leclerc is a very priveliged boy to now be in that position considering Verstappen has a much more impressive record to date. Seb dearly wants to win a title with the Scuderia but that's quite unlikely now. What is more likely to occur is Seb and Lewis swapping places in 2021. I think it's far too early to write Vettel off. A move to Merc could well rejuvinate his career.

I could only see seb succeeding in a team dominating like merc. In which case anyone could do the same! Hamilton to Ferrari could happen if he beats Schumacher's record and wants to drive a red car before retirement. Verstappen is in a much better position than leclerc imo - red bull are flying and improving and he's their number one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Hamilton's idol is Senna, Senna intended to drive for Ferrari before his career ended, tragically we all know why he didn't, hence Hamilton will do it probably in honour of Senna, when it will happen god only knows, but it will happen at some point post 2021 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I missed all the build up, for anyone who watched on C4. Did EJ reveal some news about Mclaren? Any details?

He did say he was going to yesterday alright but they must have got to him because he never revealed any big news about Mclaren. Just talked about why he thinks Vettel will go to Mercedes and Lewis to Ferrari that's all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

AMKC wrote: »

He did say he was going to yesterday alright but they must have got to him because he never revealed any big news about Mclaren. Just talked about why he thinks Vettel will go to Mercedes and Lewis to Ferrari that's all.

He said McLaren will take Mercedes engines. I too can see this happening because Williams is strongly rumoured to be switching to cheaper Renault customer engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

He said McLaren will take Mercedes engines. I too can see this happening because Williams is strongly rumoured to be switching to cheaper Renault customer engines

Who knows what's true

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144723/williams-close-to-extending-mercedes-engine-supply

Williams is closing in on a deal to extend its engine supply deal with Mercedes beyond the end of next year, deputy team principal Claire Williams has revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Any penalties for Vettel???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Autosport wrote: »
    Any penalties for Vettel???

10 second penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was bubbling nicely until the safety car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The season is over already. 7 wins out of 10. LH will surely win at least another 5 or 6. Closing in on Schumacher's record fairly fast. I think he'll get the 7 championships too. Maybe 8.
    Max is definitely a future WC. He'll have to wait another 3 or 4 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

That was a very entertaining Race , Thought it was even going to be better Bottas and Lewis at the start was excellent , and then to pile in Charles and Max supreme driving , and even adding Gasly on Vettel .( feel Gasly was a little burnt by Redbull bringing im him early and letting him out in Traffic but the saftey car kinda undid that ) .

My only grip with the whole thing isn't even at the Drivers its the Tyres again. Great that lewis is able drive a car for a fastest like he did on the last lap that but those tyres should have been butter at that stage . Having Red wall tyres on does nothing for any of these team. they are never quicker , are they not suppose to give at least 2 seconds a lap more in pace and then fade away . Bottas on new tyres not been able to match that time is just mad

Mclaren are doing really well at the moment , Im not sure what Renault can do to get back on terms with them but it does make the mid field Interesting .

ToroRosso have now caught up with RacingPoint , Good Drive by Kyatt to get into the points again and Albon was in hard luck . 2 laps from a points finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Was it driver error or a puncture that caused Giovinazzi to spin? Raikkonen is doing a great job in the other Sauber.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Joeface wrote: »
    That was a very entertaining Race , Thought it was even going to be better Bottas and Lewis at the start was excellent , and then to pile in Charles and Max supreme driving , and even adding Gasly on Vettel .( feel Gasly was a little burnt by Redbull bringing im him early and letting him out in Traffic but the saftey car kinda undid that ) .

My only grip with the whole thing isn't even at the Drivers its the Tyres again. Great that lewis is able drive a car for a fastest like he did on the last lap that but those tyres should have been butter at that stage . Having Red wall tyres on does nothing for any of these team. they are never quicker , are they not suppose to give at least 2 seconds a lap more in pace and then fade away . Bottas on new tyres not been able to match that time is just mad

Mclaren are doing really well at the moment , Im not sure what Renault can do to get back on terms with them but it does make the mid field Interesting .

ToroRosso have now caught up with RacingPoint , Good Drive by Kyatt to get into the points again and Albon was in hard luck . 2 laps from a points finish .

As far as I am aware, Bottas tyres were a used set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

vectra wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Bottas tyres were a used set.

even at that , they should have been better for at least one lap on max pace .
    Across the board the tyres for everyone this year have worked very different to what is been said at the start of every race. The worst as I see it are the softs . they never have the pace in the race all they do is go bad after 10 laps so your back foot from the word go .

Advertisement