Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people consider FG right wing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

john4321 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with what I asked?

Based on gut instinct or maybe even common sense perhaps both. No thought the last recession would come everyone was going mad spending during the Celtic tiger and then it all came crashing down could easily happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Based on gut instinct or maybe even common sense perhaps both. No thought the last recession would come everyone was going mad spending during the Celtic tiger and then it all came crashing down could easily happen again.

Based on what though do you think things will come crashing down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

2-3 years would mean the present growth outlasted most business cycles, a recession is certain but probably won’t be as devastating as the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Have you any idea how close we are to another financial collapse...and not because we have overspent on things like an efficient health system, or excellent transport systems in our cities that can future proof urban growth, or because our kids go to school in high quality learning environments with talented teachers.

We have no idea how we are going to afford the massive state pensions Bertie Aherns government signed us up to and we have no idea how we are going to fund those of us who don't have state pensions, we will have two very separate types of old people (in terms of their pensions)in the decades to come unless there is a major correction.

Our economy is deeply exposed to Brexit and the American economy, if we cannot maintain our economic growth we can spiral into all kinds of difficulties....prepare to say goodbye to yet another generation of young people and work until you are well past your mid seventies.

We do not have a fiscally responsible or even a law and order party in this country...no doubt you think of me as a facist or a mysognyist or a phobe of some sort or some other buzz word the media you consume consistently repeats into your subconcious mind, which allows this government throw a few "progressive" bones at the masses so we can all feel great about ourselves......we are in deep trouble in the mid to long term....

Spare me your crazy rant, please. I was merely pointing out the fact that social protection is fiscally responsible. Get rid of it and you'd soon have a 'law and order' problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Spare me your crazy rant, please. I was merely pointing out the fact that social protection is fiscally responsible. Get rid of it and you'd soon have a 'law and order' problem.

You don't sound like a person who has any idea what fiscally responsible is...or what law and order problems are for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

With that slimy prick as the head of the snake, FG will never be right wing. They are so far left it’s embarrassing

No, they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

circadian wrote: »
    No, they aren't.

Yes, yes they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Yes, yes they are.

No they are not. FG believe in the right wing American style economics where if one wants adequate healthcare, one must pay a heavy price financially for that basic healthcare and essential healthcare is extortionate. Hence they are trying to wound down our national health service to bring in the private healthcare model, another way of killing the poor off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

They've kept property prices high and on track to get higher and higher, this will ultimately benefit the middle and upper classes more. The dole increases and bonus are nothing compared to the increase in value of property

Lol. Supply & demand dictate price. The government have moved to artificially dampen demand (reduce prices). Unfortunately, Sinn Fein & their left-wing friends control supply which they keep ridiculously low, thus the rocketing prices.
    klaaaz wrote: »
    This poster never heard of inflation. Typical FG economics.
    This poster doesn't understand inflation. Typical left-wing economics.
    klaaaz wrote: »
    No they are not. FG believe in the right wing American style economics where if one wants adequate healthcare, one must pay a heavy price financially for that basic healthcare and essential healthcare is extortionate. Hence they are trying to wound down our national health service to bring in the private healthcare model, another way of killing the poor off.
    This post is in la-la land.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Varik wrote: »
    Would disagree about how they portray/advertise themselves.

Load of talk about "people who get up in the morning" and Leo and his "welfare cheats cheat us all", they just don't do anything about it.

To me, that's just Leo chucking out headline-grabbing soundbites like he's been doing since he first came on the scene. I don't see much ideological consistency in it; the line the other day about 'sinning priests' would hardly have much appeal for conservatives. I think you'd have to back to pre-Garret days to find FG promoting itself as conservative/right-wing in any systematic way.

• Advertisement

You don't sound like a person who has any idea what fiscally responsible is...or what law and order problems are for that matter.

You sound like a ideologue who lacks the wit to understand that your rigid idea of fiscal responsibility would impact negatively upon law and order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I dont know how people consider FG right wing , they havent lowered taxes or helped the middle class one iota. For welfare recipients theyve given them the christmas bonus, HAP increases and now this, 12 months on the dole without being hastled if you claim to be an artist. FG are doing more for welfare leeches and welfare dependent migrants than for any business owner or middle class professional. On social issues theyre left of centre and increasingly presenting left wing economic policies.

The top tier do very well at a loss to the tax payer that's why. Their being right wing creates a need for more state aid. Record breaking numbers of children homeless would be another reason. We need more HAP and hotels because they refuse to tackle the housing crisis in any way that does not profit developers and vulture funds to the maximum. There are so few 'welfare leeches' you shouldn't even bother mentioning them IMO. Do you genuinely think if we cut all welfare tomorrow they wouldn't just waste it in lining pals pockets elsewhere? It's like this if they cut welfare they need buy more homes to house more homeless or rent more hotels.
    Wastes of tax payer monies on overly grandiose projects. Bad deals for the tax payer that enrich those close to the party.

Everything you list is a symptom of their right wing policies IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Most people in society are not rich and are not on welfare.

So why is there no party that cares for regular workers, for the common man, but only exploits us in favour of the former two? I don't get it.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Most people in society are not rich and are not on welfare.

So why is there no party that cares for regular workers, for the common man, but only exploits us in favour of the former two? I don't get it.

They cream off for the top tier, this makes things tougher for the rest of us, those at the bottom grow in number and need, so to maintain they need expand on welfare. That's it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Why do people consider a party to be right wing when their only vision for the future of Ireland’s economy is keep attracting FDA by undercutting our EU partners’ rates of corporation tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

I dont know how people consider FG right wing , they havent lowered taxes or helped the middle class one iota.

They did lower tax though, by increasing the band for the higher tax rate, albeit slightly.

You sound like a ideologue who lacks the wit to understand that your rigid idea of fiscal responsibility would impact negatively upon law and order.

WE are the most indebted nation in the OECD, we have the highest number of jobless households in the OECD, we have a looming pension crisis no one wants to talk about, we have a decrepit health system, a decrepit transport system, dysfunctional cities, our schools are a shambles, we only came out of an IMF program a few short years ago...our police force is extremely dysfunctional....we lose a generation of young people every two decades...we have chronic issues with gangland crime, and now rural crime...we are a recession away from deep problems...and you call me an ideologue who lacks understanding!

WE are the most indebted nation in the OECD, we have the highest number of jobless households in the OECD, we have a looming pension crisis no one wants to talk about, we have a decrepit health system, a decrepit transport system, dysfunctional cities, our schools are a shambles, we only came out of an IMF program a few short years ago...our police force is extremely dysfunctional....we lose a generation of young people every two decades...we have chronic issues with gangland crime, and now rural crime...we are a recession away from deep problems...and you call me an ideologue who lacks understanding!

And what hard-right magic bullet, Mr Angry, would you propose to solve it all?

And what hard-right magic bullet, Mr Angry, would you propose to solve it all?

A political party that is fiscally responsible with a strong policy platform on law and order....and we can either vote for them or not, we do not currently have any political party that can legitimately claim to be either!

I do not give a flying f##k what you think is right wing or far right or hard right or whatever buzzword you are you embracing today, people who identify as either right wing or left wing are more often than not, idiots...you haven't challenged one issue I raised which indicates you know they are serious issues that need to be addressed...because if they aren't dealt with, we will all suffer and all the "progressive" causes, that have only been served to placate those idiots who identify as "progressive" won't pay for the badly needed health service, education system, transport system, pension deficit, effective police force...do you understand?

A political party that is fiscally responsible with a strong policy platform on law and order....and we can either vote for them or not, we do not currently have any political party that can legitimately claim to be either!

I do not give a flying f##k what you think is right wing or far right or hard right or whatever buzzword you are you embracing today, people who identify as either right wing or left wing are more often than not, idiots...you haven't challenged one issue I raised which indicates you know they are serious issues that need to be addressed...because if they aren't dealt with, we will all suffer and all the "progressive" causes, that have only been served to placate those idiots who identify as "progressive" won't pay for the badly needed health service, education system, transport system, pension deficit, effective police force...do you understand?

I think you need to calm down a little.

What exactly would you want that 'fiscally responsible' party to do? You can't challenge someone when they're being really unspecific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think you need to calm down a little.

What exactly would you want that 'fiscally responsible' party to do? You can't challenge someone when they're being really unspecific.

Well a prty that would cut foreign aid and welfare spending , increase the higher tax band threshold to 100k and reduce the iverall number of taxes would be class.

Well then you need to getting involved in establishing such a party yourself. That's how democracies work you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Well a prty that would cut foreign aid and welfare spending , increase the higher tax band threshold to 100k and reduce the iverall number of taxes would be class.

Starve public services like cutting funding for policing, healthcare, fire brigade, education and infrastructure so the well off can get wealthier and the rest of us suffer for individual greed.

Well then you need to getting involved in establishing such a party yourself. That's how democracies work you know!

What an utterly banal statement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Here is my take on this debate . Fine gael are not right wing . Look at the gob****e in charge of FG he is gay and of mixed race that doea not seem like right wing to me.

We have other right wing parties that are very small but maybe you dont know of them like identity Ireland and the National party with Justin Barrett.

In terms of economic policies, being gay and mixed race would not really influence you.

But being a posh boy from a well off family certainly would and we all know lucky Leo got his house down payment from the bank of Mum and Dad as he admitted.

Still waiting for Cartman to admit he actually hasn't gotten less of a rise in his pay than the dolies now that it's been established the dole is currently lower than it has been over a decade ago.

While I'm sure you'd get off on seeing poorer people suffer, do you not think such cuts might result in unintended consequences? Rather than cutting welfare spending, maybe it needs to be refocused on actually helping people who are unemployed to find sustainable employment, rather than throwing a mere €200 at them every week to keep them quiet. That's an area where the current government has fallen massively short.

What about a party that lessens the need for welfare? I mean unemployment is so low it's obvious people using it need it and count many working tax payers in their number.

What an utterly banal statement!

Banal in the sense of "so obviously true as to be barely worth saying"?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What about a party that lessens the need for welfare? I mean unemployment is so low it's obvious people using it need it and count many working tax payers in their number.

I would argue that because we're at full employment, those using it are abusing it. With the exception of those living in really isolated communities that could use a relocation grant , I think theres little excuse at the moment to be unemployed as an able bodied person.

• Advertisement

I would argue that because we're at full employment, those using it are abusing it. With the exception of those living in really isolated communities that could use a relocation grant , I think theres little excuse at the moment to be unemployed as an able bodied person.

Well let's say you're 100% correct, we should be policing it better. Why penalise those in genuine need by cutting back?

With the housing crisis alone some workers need state aid. We shouldn't forget tax payers get some aid too. It's impossible to be all lifers gaming the system because employment is so high.

So a government that helps ease the need for welfare and ensures anyone on it needs it.
    Ironically the real left policies of social/affordable housing would be saving the tax payer money that the fiscally conservative FG are merrily spending on hotels and HAP so others can profit, IMO.

Advertisement